Housing In Phuket

Wranklefrankie

I would like to first say that I grew up with a father who was an Architect and a Mechanical Engineer. With that said, we always lived in a house that made sense. Now I don't want to go off on a rant here; but I am just sick of looking for a house here in Phuket, but I can't seem to leave. I love living here, and I am addicted. But what is killing me, beyond all control, is the lack of a decent house for rent.

My wife and I had an altercation a few weeks back, some of you might remember, the Mafia Bar Owner....Anyway, in my haste, I told her over the phone she could look for a new house herself, without me. Bless her heart, she is wonderful and I love her, but she has absolutely zero taste when it comes to a fine home. I have seen her house from when she was a kid, and I understand what she would look for, but I must say, this new house makes me completely sick. It is disgusting, and has no form or design in mind. 4 Walls and an outdoor kitchen. I have to go outside to go into my bedroom, and my deck wasn't built with 'standing or sitting' in mind. It is old, and falling apart. And get this, from Nov 27 - Dec 26, I got an electric bill.... on a POSTIT note stuck to my door for 9950thb. Now, I am sorry, but I don't pay PostIt Notes. They are charging us 45,000thb per month and I wouldn’t give them 25,000, and I am so sick of the house, I immediately offered myself up for another job and returned back to work. My wife, she loves it because the neighborhood has a plastic pole that you have to have a card to raise. They refer to it as a security gate, but it is a white piece of PVC Pipe.

I have tried to use the local property finders. I have been through about 4 of them. They are not to blame, but who designs this stuff? I am writing this in this post because I know many of you live here, and know about real estate. I would buy property, but what is for sale is not worth 1/8 of the money they are asking. I would LOVE to build my dream home, but the land prices are just plain stupid. Some of the plots I have seen are just ridiculously priced, and are in crowded areas.

For now, I would just like a nice place I could actually feel comfortable in. Somewhere I could actually feel good about returning to. I am going to put this out here because I know there is someone here that knows about a house for me.

1 Floor. (Or 2 Storey with 1 bedroom downstairs.)

3 Bedrooms each with bathroom, with an office type room for computers.

Views are over-rated, so not necessary.

Big Western Kitchen - Appliances not required. Will buy my own, or I may already have.

Fenced in with nice, Small Yard

Heavy on the A/C. I lika da A/C in TV room, and Bedrooms.

35 - 65k per month price range.

Thalang - Rawai - Nai Harn

Just NOT Patong, Karon or Kata. Anywhere else can be tolerated

ADSL area and Phone Area is high priority.

Covered 2 Car Park, tall enough for Fortuner.

As few neighbors as possible.

Quiet, away from beaten path, nestled in the jungle or with many trees?

The farther away from the crowd, the better. If it takes a 4WD and a 15 minute trip just to get too, OHHHH I WOULD BE IN HEAVEN.

If someone can help me find this house, regardless of the terms, I will give them a :o25000thb cash reward :D . Even Businesses, No one excluded.

Why do we as humans always feel so compelled to live so close together? There is so much room on this Island, and yet all of the housing is so close together. I find it very disturbing that all of the property for sale is right next to someone else?

I would really LOVE to meet someone who could help me find land in East Thalang. Go North and hang a right at the Heroin Monument. Across the road (4423) I believe from Mission Hills. Yes, DEEP DEEP DEEP back there would be heaven for me. I would be very generous if such a person existed. Very Generous indeed.

I am desperate, and would like to move it as early as Jan 15th. Please don't make me return to my chicken coup.

PM me if you would like to help.

I would like to first say that I grew up with a father who was an Architect and a Mechanical Engineer.

Your next best option is to buy one of those houses that they are mass building but not yet completed, And make it know early that you want additional plumbling put in and where the aircons need to be before you take over the completed project.

Am now living at a new 3 storey terrace shop house thingy. I see the potential to modify the ground floor as a garage like some locals did.

The kitchen at the back is always best to be out of doors especially when you do serious asian cooking.....and you can still put in a indoor open kitchen like the farangs does if you borther to get someone who has the experience to 'decorate' your purchase.

I wont mind helping, if you dont mind someone who has not architecture or engineering certification.

But I moved, renovated and lived in 25 homes as well as cooked, took care of toddler nephew & neice in USA so I have an idea what you want.

Is there a problem for you to move around? Cos I noticed you wanted ground floor bedroom? Is the stairs going to be a problem?

Edited by viciouskitty74

Is there a problem for you to move around? Cos I noticed you wanted ground floor bedroom? Is the stairs going to be a problem?

No, Sorry I didn't make my needs clearer. I have a family member living with us that would like a bedroom downstairs. She does not like stairs because of her knees, and fear of falling while carrying the baby. A 1 floor house would be better to look for. My daughter is hel_l on 8 wheels with her new baby walker (8 months) and would prefer to no have stairs if it was a rental.

I have attached a jpg to show what areas I would love to buy land in. It is very remote and if anyone would know of a way I could go about discovering if it was possible to buy a bit of jungle land to build on. I have seen a few houses up there including a mammoth looking one that looks like something out of "the sound of music".

I would love to just drive up and get out and walk around, but I am afraid that my horrible Thai might get me in trouble. I am not sure how to go about it, but someone owns it, and I am sure they would sell a little piece.

See Attached:

post-54754-1198674898_thumb.jpg

I too have despaired at the quality or housing.. Design and layout just seems so haphazard.. A 12ft long by 2 or 3 ft room ?!?! Windows that look onto a wall.. Just so many times you see things and go <deleted> !!

As is evidenced by my 'landslide on Nanai' thread I too am in the market for a new long term home.. I want my own pool and unlike most posters I do want to be close to Patong, I have just tried moving away and while the peace and quiet is nice, the lack of quality restaurants, services, etc does not fit how I like to live. Finding a home, close to Patong, but out of the noise and stink and with its own pool !! Well I am thinking I need to build it, its that hard to find.

As to the money I (and you) are prepared to pay.. Its crazy.. I was shown a place for >150k.. I am at this point willing to pay pay up to maybe 70k.. Thats >2000 USD.. I paid less than that back in the west !! I was shown a regular kinda dumpy home (no pool) for a 'heavily discounted' 35k a month !! Its OK once you move back out over to Kathu etc, but the hillsides over and around Patong ?!?! Crazy money.

thats cos people are happy to pay over the odds to be close to the "entertainment"

why people would pay more to be close to a cess pit is beyond me when pretty much anywhere on the island is 20 to 30 mins by car

Cosse, you are so right.

I would like to have a spot way in the middle of nothing, verses right around the corner from everything. I have been reading the posts and archives on the sight for the last 8 days. The Drillship I am currently on has been having Casing problems, and I have had a lot of ass time. From driving to land ownership. I was driving down the South on the Rawai Expressway and I noticed off to my right, way up on the mountian, someone started building a monster house, but were shut down due to "height restrictions" Height restrictions? Are you not allowed to go above a certian height? dam_n. I was under the impression that the height of buildings was restricted, but I have seen the skeletal development that overlooks Kata that was shut down for this law as well.

I am dumbfounded to see that some laws such as how high you can build on a hillside and who can own land are strictly inforced, with clearly no risk to human life, and yet simple laws, like 12 year olds racing by on motorbikes, slings and 4-5 on a Honda Wave is socially acceptable. The hard thing for me to deal with is all the beautiful land is untamed, and all the flat, featureless land is occupied. I don't mean to make any offense, but I come from a Country so big, we CAN spread out, and we have. Unlike some countries that have to build on top of one another. I know, I know, this ain't my country, but I would like to call it home and would very much like a little piece for myself.

I spoke to Sunbelt Asia, and the rules of old are long gone. All the suggestions I have heard of and read are now impossible. They suggested a 30 + 30 Ufstruct (sp). I am cool with that, I don't care about who's name the land is in, as long as I can use it. I just want to borrow some for the little time I have left on the planet. (mothership will be coming for Tom Cruise and I soon....) jk

I need a vacation.

HI

What drillship??

"Energy Searcher" Drillship for Jet Drilling Currently on station for Galoc in the South China Sea, South of the Philippine Islands.

12 1/4" Section, build to 89.5, land and set casing, lowside cuttings/sand preventing casing from going in easy. Plan to drill

out of shoe with 8.5 tools ARC/ADN Nukes with Powerdrive, land at 90 degrees and lateral out 1622 meters.

Mud Weight 8.8/70 Vis. In the cabin with HIGH SPEED INET, and way too much free time.

HRRider? Aren't you with Sperry in Saudi?

Head's up Oilfield Trash residing in Phuket: Coming soon: PHUKET OILMEN'S ASSOCIATION

post-54754-1198750332_thumb.jpg

thats cos people are happy to pay over the odds to be close to the "entertainment"

why people would pay more to be close to a cess pit is beyond me when pretty much anywhere on the island is 20 to 30 mins by car

Because those are a dangerous 30 mins drunk driving every night at 4 or 5 am !! Those kind of odds will catch up to you fast !!

Plus cess pit or not, its where ALL the best nightclubs are, its where most of the best bars are, its where the best mall and shopping is, its where the best restaurants and choice of places is. Etc etc etc

For someone (like me) who never cooks and hence eats out perhaps twice a day.. Who would rather pay to have his laundry done.. It is the only place I have found so far that has it all on your doorstep.

Cosse, you are so right.

I would like to have a spot way in the middle of nothing, verses right around the corner from everything. I have been reading the posts and archives on the sight for the last 8 days. The Drillship I am currently on has been having Casing problems, and I have had a lot of ass time. From driving to land ownership. I was driving down the South on the Rawai Expressway and I noticed off to my right, way up on the mountian, someone started building a monster house, but were shut down due to "height restrictions" Height restrictions? Are you not allowed to go above a certian height? dam_n. I was under the impression that the height of buildings was restricted, but I have seen the skeletal development that overlooks Kata that was shut down for this law as well.

I am dumbfounded to see that some laws such as how high you can build on a hillside and who can own land are strictly inforced, with clearly no risk to human life, and yet simple laws, like 12 year olds racing by on motorbikes, slings and 4-5 on a Honda Wave is socially acceptable. The hard thing for me to deal with is all the beautiful land is untamed, and all the flat, featureless land is occupied. I don't mean to make any offense, but I come from a Country so big, we CAN spread out, and we have. Unlike some countries that have to build on top of one another. I know, I know, this ain't my country, but I would like to call it home and would very much like a little piece for myself.

I spoke to Sunbelt Asia, and the rules of old are long gone. All the suggestions I have heard of and read are now impossible. They suggested a 30 + 30 Ufstruct (sp). I am cool with that, I don't care about who's name the land is in, as long as I can use it. I just want to borrow some for the little time I have left on the planet. (mothership will be coming for Tom Cruise and I soon....) jk

I need a vacation.

The law says 80m from sea level is the build height limit.. At various times they have been really tight but the last year has seen a losening of this rule for a little over 80 and its an affordable bribe up to about 120 ish at this time.

As to your advice.. I dont know what exactly Sunbelt said but you dont get a 30 + 30 usufruct.. You can get a 30 year lease (and anything promised more... the 30 + 30 + 30 is not legal and may not be enforced, 30 is the legal limit) or you can get a lifetime usufruct (or fixed term) but there are important differences, a usufruct cannot be willed to hiers for example (so I have been told)..

HI

What drillship??

"Energy Searcher" Drillship for Jet Drilling Currently on station for Galoc in the South China Sea, South of the Philippine Islands.

12 1/4" Section, build to 89.5, land and set casing, lowside cuttings/sand preventing casing from going in easy. Plan to drill

out of shoe with 8.5 tools ARC/ADN Nukes with Powerdrive, land at 90 degrees and lateral out 1622 meters.

Mud Weight 8.8/70 Vis. In the cabin with HIGH SPEED INET, and way too much free time.

Head's up Oilfield Trash residing in Phuket: Coming soon: PHUKET OILMEN'S ASSOCIATION

Nope, but i know who you think about,(i think) i am on ES as well, small world.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, was away on road trips with the family to Northern Thailand.

Building your dream home might take some time.

I believe in modifying/adapting as much to suit my own needs at any one time. As we aged, we change. It does make sense for ground floor bedrooms.

Your daughter might not be able to wait to get out of the walker before you build up your house. :D

Plus, I have the experience of walking my 10 month old neice up and down staircases just to keep her quiet and happy while the rest of the family sleeps at 4am in the morn. :o Or when she was a year old, we threw balls down the stairs so she can walk down to retrieve the balls, climb back up and throw those balls again till she was finally tired out to sleep. (I am indulgent, so please dont lecture.)

But for your daughter, I would suggest eventually putting her up in a 2nd or 3rd storey bedroom to keep her away from potential boyfriends/guests going up to her room unseen. My brother in law has his axe ready for such folks when his daughter is a year old. :D

What you are suggesting can be achieved with child proofing techniques for the time being.

Hope it helps.

• 2 weeks later...
I would like to first say that I grew up with a father who was an Architect and a Mechanical Engineer. With that said, we always lived in a house that made sense. Now I don't want to go off on a rant here; but I am just sick of looking for a house here in Phuket, but I can't seem to leave. I love living here, and I am addicted. But what is killing me, beyond all control, is the lack of a decent house for rent.

My wife and I had an altercation a few weeks back, some of you might remember, the Mafia Bar Owner....Anyway, in my haste, I told her over the phone she could look for a new house herself, without me. Bless her heart, she is wonderful and I love her, but she has absolutely zero taste when it comes to a fine home. I have seen her house from when she was a kid, and I understand what she would look for, but I must say, this new house makes me completely sick. It is disgusting, and has no form or design in mind. 4 Walls and an outdoor kitchen. I have to go outside to go into my bedroom, and my deck wasn't built with 'standing or sitting' in mind. It is old, and falling apart. And get this, from Nov 27 - Dec 26, I got an electric bill.... on a POSTIT note stuck to my door for 9950thb. Now, I am sorry, but I don't pay PostIt Notes. They are charging us 45,000thb per month and I wouldn't give them 25,000, and I am so sick of the house, I immediately offered myself up for another job and returned back to work. My wife, she loves it because the neighborhood has a plastic pole that you have to have a card to raise. They refer to it as a security gate, but it is a white piece of PVC Pipe.

I have tried to use the local property finders. I have been through about 4 of them. They are not to blame, but who designs this stuff? I am writing this in this post because I know many of you live here, and know about real estate. I would buy property, but what is for sale is not worth 1/8 of the money they are asking. I would LOVE to build my dream home, but the land prices are just plain stupid. Some of the plots I have seen are just ridiculously priced, and are in crowded areas.

For now, I would just like a nice place I could actually feel comfortable in. Somewhere I could actually feel good about returning to. I am going to put this out here because I know there is someone here that knows about a house for me.

1 Floor. (Or 2 Storey with 1 bedroom downstairs.)

3 Bedrooms each with bathroom, with an office type room for computers.

Views are over-rated, so not necessary.

Big Western Kitchen - Appliances not required. Will buy my own, or I may already have.

Fenced in with nice, Small Yard

Heavy on the A/C. I lika da A/C in TV room, and Bedrooms.

35 - 65k per month price range.

Thalang - Rawai - Nai Harn

Just NOT Patong, Karon or Kata. Anywhere else can be tolerated

ADSL area and Phone Area is high priority.

Covered 2 Car Park, tall enough for Fortuner.

As few neighbors as possible.

Quiet, away from beaten path, nestled in the jungle or with many trees?

The farther away from the crowd, the better. If it takes a 4WD and a 15 minute trip just to get too, OHHHH I WOULD BE IN HEAVEN.

If someone can help me find this house, regardless of the terms, I will give them a :o25000thb cash reward :D . Even Businesses, No one excluded.

Why do we as humans always feel so compelled to live so close together? There is so much room on this Island, and yet all of the housing is so close together. I find it very disturbing that all of the property for sale is right next to someone else?

I would really LOVE to meet someone who could help me find land in East Thalang. Go North and hang a right at the Heroin Monument. Across the road (4423) I believe from Mission Hills. Yes, DEEP DEEP DEEP back there would be heaven for me. I would be very generous if such a person existed. Very Generous indeed.

I am desperate, and would like to move it as early as Jan 15th. Please don't make me return to my chicken coup.

Try Grove gardens. Not in a jungle, but out of the way and fits your spec. I think their website is www.grovegardensphuket.com

I hope he found his place. :D

BTW, I can understand about the toliet, bathroom being out of the house and you need to be rained on before you shower and after you showered. :o I've lived in such houses when I was younger.

And right now, I use the toliet/bathroom downstairs from my stepfamily's home Its next to the backyard open air kitchen and has a side that is exposed to all passerbys living in the row of houses behind us.) and it was apt that it rained today and I felt for the threadstarter.

I was only thankful that its a big toliet/bathroom with a dry area and I didnt have to wade in/out the bathroom wrapped in my towel to the 2nd storey of the house to change.

Edited by viciouskitty74

• 2 weeks later...

I have a rai of land up that way on a hillside that I'm building on, but its getting expensive even on the East coast now.

I did see 250 sq wah (900 sq metres) of land for sale up near mission hills for just iunder 1 million baht before xmas but I don't know if its still available.

HI

What drillship??

Nope, but i know who you think about,(i think) i am on ES as well, small world.

Small world indeed, working on West Azeri in the Caspian Sea.

Send me an mail if you want and we have a beer.

post-18924-1201847638_thumb.jpg