Even "thais" Have Immigration Problems

I read the article posted in the Phuket Gazette. I just found it to be the most ridiculous thing yet:

http://www.phuketgazette.net/issuesanswers...ils.asp?id=1019

She's a native Thai. Married a foreigner, lived out of country for 20 years, and came back. But she entered on a 'tourist visa" and not her Thai Visa like she should have. Thai Embassy said not to worry about it. The answer she got from the Immigration maybe correct per the "book". But this speaks volumes on how lame the rules have gotten. She was told she has to pay 1900B for an extension and report every 90 days. She's a Thai citizen!

Seems to me the simplest answer is to do a "border run" and re-enter on her Thai passport. Problem solved. Would this be correct?

I have a friend in a similar situation. Born in Thailand, raised in Canada and came back here 2 years ago on his Canadian passport. Now he is on a Non-Imm "O" visa with a one year extension of stay based on the birth certificate of one of his parent I think?!? Fun stuff.

Why wouldn't the guy apply for a Thai passport. ?

He needs to get his Thai ID card first, and because his last name was changed in Canada it is taking some time to re-conciliate all the documents. So he entered with his Canadian passport, and once he gets all his documents sorted out he will apply for his Thai ID card and then for the passport I suppose.

I read the article posted in the Phuket Gazette. I just found it to be the most ridiculous thing yet:

She's a native Thai. Married a foreigner, lived out of country for 20 years, and came back. But she entered on a 'tourist visa" and not her Thai Visa like she should have. Thai Embassy said not to worry about it. The answer she got from the Immigration maybe correct per the "book". But this speaks volumes on how lame the rules have gotten. She was told she has to pay 1900B for an extension and report every 90 days. She's a Thai citizen!

Seems to me the simplest answer is to do a "border run" and re-enter on her Thai passport. Problem solved. Would this be correct?

Sounds to me like she never re-newed her Thai passport, , ,

Yes i see some respondents are just reading back the rule book which you already know - that you made a mistake! If she leaves the country and then re enters on her thai passport then problem solved!

It seems to me that she was misdirected from Embassy or she is confusing her status.

If she is living in the country, which allows dual nationality, instead having Thai Tourist Visa, she just get Thai passport.

A lot of people doesn't know that they should use their home country passport when they enter home country even if they have dual nationality or something like that.

But until you know more detail, you never know.

She may be gave up her nationality to get her foreign passport.

The country she is immigrated may not allow dual nationality at all.

Since she have foreign passport, I assume she got citizenship from her "new" country.

Just reading above article, to me it seems that this case is as clear as water. This time the officer wanted to be helpful and explained it perfectly. If you enter any country with a foreign passport, you are going to be treated the same way as foreigner, even if you were born and hold a passport of the country you are visiting.

And this case again should remind me and others too that passports have to be put into a valid documents in the country of the travelers present residence prior his/her travel to any country, even if he/she was born in that country, holds a passport of that country and he/she is now wants to visit.