Share Your Traffic Related Nightmares!

igotworms

Have you had or encountered any traffic mishaps in Phuket?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've had one accident involving my rented jeep and a motorcycle. I was making a right turn and the motorcycle tried to pass me on the right! He hit my front tire and then him and his grifriend bounced off the bike on the shoulder. No helmets, but luckily no injuries. The cops tried to get me to pay half of the damages, until I insisted that he was in the wrong. I sure wasn't up for killing anybody that day.

What has happened to you?

I've got 2 friends killed on the road since I have been here (3.5 years), and 1 is in hospital now pending skull and jaw operation.

I've got a few close calls: cars turning right into my lane - had to slam my brakes hard and there were only a few centimetres in between.

Grannies-on-mopeds always set off my alert alarm.

At this point I am learning how to drive. :o

I've got 2 friends killed on the road since I have been here (3.5 years), and 1 is in hospital now pending skull and jaw operation.

That's an answer common to many long term residents here.

Watch out for those grandpas too! I had a few close calls with them crossing lanes in front of me without a glance (and not even a flinch when I nearly collide with them). Either it's nerves of steel or eyes like a walleye.

Driving from Phuket airport, stopped at the T junction to turn right down the main drag towards Phuket town. I'm on the inside of the 2 right-turn lanes and a large lorry is in the outside right-turn lane, thus blocking my view. Lights turn green, I wait 3 seconds and then start to accelerate across the junction.

Some total <deleted>!! in a fast Merc heading towards Sarasan Bridge jumps the red lights on the main drag and almost takes me out! I swear I saw a white-bearded guy unlocking the pearly gates for me....

After that, I always wait about 5 minutes after lights change to green before I start to move :o

Since UBC (satellite) has taken another holiday tonight... : :o and i'm unusually caught up on 'work', here's mine:

It was back in april, driving from Chumpon to Ranong. Winding, hilly rd for those who may not know it (and great scenery btw) and I was rounding a long, slow corner (maybe 50 kph max, as the grade and bend were sharp) and I did notice this lady hunched over at the apex of the corner about 100 yards away, well off the road. As I approached that bend, about 20 ft from the lady, to my absolute SCHOCK, the she walks straight in my path!!!

My heart almost stopped, couldn't believe it was happening. I ended up clipping her with the break away mirror and slid past her (superman couldn't have stopped in time). I glanced at the rear mirror and she was upright. The second I got out of the car, she was down and screaming.

I immediately heard jake brakes from a transport approaching from around the bend. sprinted to her but realised I'd be too late to pull her off the road before the transport rounded down the steep curve. I took a chance, bolted straight by her and waved like mad as the transport rounded the corner. He swerved, just missing me and then there was another drafting behind him, both at good speed. The second one was even closer and i didn't see him coming and he couldn't see me untill the last second.

Ok, heart started again, still moving on pure adrenaline, i ran back to her, pulled her off the road (possible broken bones are better than becoming part of the asphalt I reasoned) and ran to a recycling place up the bend to get help. When I ran back with a few locals, there was a crowd around and I thought (thinking, rather than reacting for the first time since the accident) ...oh-oh, this doesn't look good.

The Kanman (village head) came over and gave me a wai, told me 'puying mau maak' (dead drunk) and is like that everyday (moonshine of some sort). He thanked me for trying to help her. Phew! (I thought) and I already knew she was ok, not a mark on her and all was well. Then the police showed up, put her (still screaming) in the back of their pick up and drove my car while I was in the passenger side. Off to the local hospital...

At the hospital, the doc and cops confer for about 30 minutes, then call me in. The Doc produces an xray of what looks to be a spine and says 'look what you do'...uh oh. He says she needs at least 6 months 'special therapy' at the 'big' hospital in Ranong and do i have insurance... Well, actually it was my friend's car and it was insured but i wasn't about to give in to something I wasn't in the wrong for, so i said no. Ok, he said, do you have money? Just a little I replied. They politely excused me at that point. Ok, I might be on my way I thought, even the nurses remarked how drunk the lady was and the police agreed.

Police came out, told me to get back in the passenger side. We drove back about 10 kms to the little police stn about 7 pm now. At the police stn, i gave a statement (wishing the kanman was there as witness) admitted there was indeed insurance (seeing the spot i was in) and they put me in the office and told me to wait. There was a lady typing across the way and a jr cop in the office. I asked to go hong naam (toilet) he said Song Roi...ok, i paid it (in no mood for nego at this point) and when I returned and sat down, he slapped me in the back of the head from behind and grinned. Uh-oh i thought yet again.

When the chief came back, i told him what jr had done (calculating if jr was to be my keeper all night, I'd best take a chance while the Captain was still around). Turned out to be a good risk as the Captain talked to the woman (who I find out later is his wife) and she verfied what happened. He fairly raked jr over the coals and told him to Bi raos raos! (get gone fast).

Then he apologised and thankfully his wife spoke a little english and explained they both regretted what happened and also the fact I was to be detained untill a bail bondsman could come up from phuket the next day...wha tha??? I said but I did nothing wrong. They both agreed and said I was kind to stop and 'help' the drunk lady. In Thai Law they explained, it's always the 'motor vehichle' which is blamed in a passenger accident. But superman couldn't have made that stop in time i said. They agreed, vehemently but nothing they could do.

They were kind enough to invite me to stay at their place instead of the jail for the night. I jumped at that offer! Small place, in the police office little compound but it was fine. She made a great dinner, we had some beers, Karaoke (ok, I just went along) and after a few wobbly pops, off to bed. I still think they gave me theirs upstairs, while they slept on the floor downstairs but am not sure. Had a fan, mosquito net and wide open windows so, off to zzzz...

Next morning early, they made me breakfast, told me to sit tight and wait. I waited and waited... I did all the dishes (all the neighborhood ladies and kids laughing in amazement at the farang doing the wash on the back stoop;) played some takraw with the locals (fun actually) and waited some more...(not fun).

LOooOOong story short, the insurance rep arrived on day 2.5 (I was 'arrested' on a Sat evening) and he spoke english fairly well. Even he said the police told him I wasn't to blame but could I sign this report (stating I was). My embassy (whom i had contacted) called and they advised I sign nothing and they'd give me a list of lawyers I could contact.... I asked both capt Pichit and the ins rep, if I signed, could i go? They both said sure. I hesitated, signed and held my breath...Ok, you can go now. was the response.

I still couldn't believe it even as I started the engine- some kind of trick or???

Pulled the car out slowly at first and then I realised I was indeed on my way. Phew! I didn't exceed 60 kph all the way to Ranong and was hyper alert!

Epilogue: coming into khoa Lak the following day, a car was annoyed at my less than limit speed and passed me. A few blocks later, a motorcycle unexplicably turned right into him from the following direction (unbelievable I thought, did that just happen??) The guy on the bike went straight up and over the handle bars and I had to swerve to miss him (swerved to the right oncoming lane) Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic! I looked back once, the guy was up thank goodness (probably in schock) and running about crazily.

The amazing thing is, my instincts started taking over again (was he alright? I'm the only witness, better stick around etc)...then REALITY came back- I got the heck outta there....

Last note, I drive regularily in Thailand, have a Thai lisence and have never had any incident before, or since then. Oh yes, also for the record, Captain Pichit and his wife were very accomodating and gracious people and under the circumstance, I really appreciated this. Also, a mention to Barry T in Pattaya (who's car it was) for being non-stop on the phone to the insurance people the entire time.

Final costs: Deductible Insurance- 5000 baht, local hospital and ambulance transport to Ranong hospital 4000 baht but mostly a real eye opener which cost me a few appointments in Phuket and one I won't soon forget. Also before I forget, I was perhaps lucky I had a Thai drivers liscence-according to a friend, some insurance companies may not recognise Intnl lisences or foreign ones. You've been warned...

(phew! That's enough posting for about another year I figure :D )

Daniel

Had an accident on my bike on Kata Hill on Oct 10, early morning hours.

Don't remember it. Don't know what happened, whether I was hit or did it all myself. I wasn't drunk. Don't know what happened to my helmet, but figure I was wearing it, because I always do. Must have been ripped off.

The police got a call from a Thai, who said there was a farang up on Kata Hill who had been in an accident.

Police got there, found me unconcious near my bike, no one else around. They checked my pockets and wallet looking for medical insurance, found none, so piled me in the truck and took me to a government hospital.

A friend heard that a farang had been in an accident, came to see, saw it was me, and contacted my family abroad. They arranged to move me to a private hospital.

Spent almost a month in hospital -- was unconcious for a few days, then a babbling idiot, became "aware" after three weeks.

My sister came over and bundled me off to my home country, where I stayed for five months recovering, getting my faculties back. Trust me, head injuries are slow to heal. Returned to Thailand.

Now 11 months later, most things have returned to normal, still off balance, sometimes look drunk when I walk. But I consider myself very lucky.

Just a driving tip...Use your turn signals!

When I recently bought a car to drive around Phuket, I decided

to let my Thai GF drive, and learn from her (She has driven 10 years no accident)...

well, what i learned, she uses turn signals Everytime she turns,

parking lot, lanes, pulling over, way overdoes it, i think...cars around or not... but Hey, it works!

• 3 weeks later...
Since UBC (satellite) has taken another holiday tonight... : :o and i'm unusually caught up on 'work', here's mine:

It was back in april, driving from Chumpon to Ranong. Winding, hilly rd for those who may not know it (and great scenery btw) and I was rounding a long, slow corner (maybe 50 kph max, as the grade and bend were sharp) and I did notice this lady hunched over at the apex of the corner about 100 yards away, well off the road. As I approached that bend, about 20 ft from the lady, to my absolute SCHOCK, the she walks straight in my path!!!

My heart almost stopped, couldn't believe it was happening. I ended up clipping her with the break away mirror and slid past her (superman couldn't have stopped in time). I glanced at the rear mirror and she was upright. The second I got out of the car, she was down and screaming.

I immediately heard jake brakes from a transport approaching from around the bend. sprinted to her but realised I'd be too late to pull her off the road before the transport rounded down the steep curve. I took a chance, bolted straight by her and waved like mad as the transport rounded the corner. He swerved, just missing me and then there was another drafting behind him, both at good speed. The second one was even closer and i didn't see him coming and he couldn't see me untill the last second.

Ok, heart started again, still moving on pure adrenaline, i ran back to her, pulled her off the road (possible broken bones are better than becoming part of the asphalt I reasoned) and ran to a recycling place up the bend to get help. When I ran back with a few locals, there was a crowd around and I thought (thinking, rather than reacting for the first time since the accident) ...oh-oh, this doesn't look good.

The Kanman (village head) came over and gave me a wai, told me 'puying mau maak' (dead drunk) and is like that everyday (moonshine of some sort). He thanked me for trying to help her. Phew! (I thought) and I already knew she was ok, not a mark on her and all was well. Then the police showed up, put her (still screaming) in the back of their pick up and drove my car while I was in the passenger side. Off to the local hospital...

At the hospital, the doc and cops confer for about 30 minutes, then call me in. The Doc produces an xray of what looks to be a spine and says 'look what you do'...uh oh. He says she needs at least 6 months 'special therapy' at the 'big' hospital in Ranong and do i have insurance... Well, actually it was my friend's car and it was insured but i wasn't about to give in to something I wasn't in the wrong for, so i said no. Ok, he said, do you have money? Just a little I replied. They politely excused me at that point. Ok, I might be on my way I thought, even the nurses remarked how drunk the lady was and the police agreed.

Police came out, told me to get back in the passenger side. We drove back about 10 kms to the little police stn about 7 pm now. At the police stn, i gave a statement (wishing the kanman was there as witness) admitted there was indeed insurance (seeing the spot i was in) and they put me in the office and told me to wait. There was a lady typing across the way and a jr cop in the office. I asked to go hong naam (toilet) he said Song Roi...ok, i paid it (in no mood for nego at this point) and when I returned and sat down, he slapped me in the back of the head from behind and grinned. Uh-oh i thought yet again.

When the chief came back, i told him what jr had done (calculating if jr was to be my keeper all night, I'd best take a chance while the Captain was still around). Turned out to be a good risk as the Captain talked to the woman (who I find out later is his wife) and she verfied what happened. He fairly raked jr over the coals and told him to Bi raos raos! (get gone fast).

Then he apologised and thankfully his wife spoke a little english and explained they both regretted what happened and also the fact I was to be detained untill a bail bondsman could come up from phuket the next day...wha tha??? I said but I did nothing wrong. They both agreed and said I was kind to stop and 'help' the drunk lady. In Thai Law they explained, it's always the 'motor vehichle' which is blamed in a passenger accident. But superman couldn't have made that stop in time i said. They agreed, vehemently but nothing they could do.

They were kind enough to invite me to stay at their place instead of the jail for the night. I jumped at that offer! Small place, in the police office little compound but it was fine. She made a great dinner, we had some beers, Karaoke (ok, I just went along) and after a few wobbly pops, off to bed. I still think they gave me theirs upstairs, while they slept on the floor downstairs but am not sure. Had a fan, mosquito net and wide open windows so, off to zzzz...

Next morning early, they made me breakfast, told me to sit tight and wait. I waited and waited... I did all the dishes (all the neighborhood ladies and kids laughing in amazement at the farang doing the wash on the back stoop;) played some takraw with the locals (fun actually) and waited some more...(not fun).

LOooOOong story short, the insurance rep arrived on day 2.5 (I was 'arrested' on a Sat evening) and he spoke english fairly well. Even he said the police told him I wasn't to blame but could I sign this report (stating I was). My embassy (whom i had contacted) called and they advised I sign nothing and they'd give me a list of lawyers I could contact.... I asked both capt Pichit and the ins rep, if I signed, could i go? They both said sure. I hesitated, signed and held my breath...Ok, you can go now. was the response.

I still couldn't believe it even as I started the engine- some kind of trick or???

Pulled the car out slowly at first and then I realised I was indeed on my way. Phew! I didn't exceed 60 kph all the way to Ranong and was hyper alert!

Epilogue: coming into khoa Lak the following day, a car was annoyed at my less than limit speed and passed me. A few blocks later, a motorcycle unexplicably turned right into him from the following direction (unbelievable I thought, did that just happen??) The guy on the bike went straight up and over the handle bars and I had to swerve to miss him (swerved to the right oncoming lane) Luckily, there was no oncoming traffic! I looked back once, the guy was up thank goodness (probably in schock) and running about crazily.

The amazing thing is, my instincts started taking over again (was he alright? I'm the only witness, better stick around etc)...then REALITY came back- I got the heck outta there....

Last note, I drive regularily in Thailand, have a Thai lisence and have never had any incident before, or since then. Oh yes, also for the record, Captain Pichit and his wife were very accomodating and gracious people and under the circumstance, I really appreciated this. Also, a mention to Barry T in Pattaya (who's car it was) for being non-stop on the phone to the insurance people the entire time.

Final costs: Deductible Insurance- 5000 baht, local hospital and ambulance transport to Ranong hospital 4000 baht but mostly a real eye opener which cost me a few appointments in Phuket and one I won't soon forget. Also before I forget, I was perhaps lucky I had a Thai drivers liscence-according to a friend, some insurance companies may not recognise Intnl lisences or foreign ones. You've been warned...

(phew! That's enough posting for about another year I figure :D )

Daniel

Great story. Thanks for the effort.

Drove through a river of blood today. Came upon some traffic congestion and a bunch of bystanders standing around in shock. I then passed a dump truck parked to the side, where I crossed a stream of blood. I noticed a smashed bike a few yards in front of the dump truck. I guess the body had just been taken away. The blood freaked me out.

Saw a guy on the road from jontiem beach to pattaya (next to the hill)

Lying on the road after he was run over by a bus 2 minutes before.

Brain splatterred all over the road.

Was on my way for dinner but didn't feel like eating anymore :o

Had a thread on it then , see if i can find it ....

Here it is.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=3510

Edited by Darknight

On the way to Phuket airport Sunday afternoon, thought I was approaching a new road-side market in Thepkasatri Road, because there were so many cars parked - on both sides of the dual carriageway - and lots of Thais standing around. Then I saw the police truck's lights, the policeman with a measuring tape standing in the road, and something small covered in a green plastic sheet. My g/f saw the blood, I didn't because I was trying to avoid the bast.ard aircon minibus that was trying to overtake me on the wrong side and avoid hitting the policeman at the same time. After negotiating the scene, I couldn't help thinking what kind of person would stop on the other side of the dual carriageway, park their truck/car, cross the road and stand on the central verge to stare at a scene of death? As my g/f said: "<deleted>.ck them!".

Yeah witin 24 hours of a statement of safer Phuket roads in the gazette there is the death of a Swedish guy also printed..

I blame the standing around and gawking thing on the Thai media's love of showing corpses in full color on the front page opf newspapers and those shows (on VCD) where they follw the trauma team around in the ambulance and film the messed up bodies.. Odd entertainment.

Yesterday was my first day living in Phuket and I had an accident.

I was going up hill, doing about 50, when I hit a brick sized rock, front wheel first.

Every sense I had and some I didn't know I had, kicked into action and God only knows how, but I stayed on the bike and stopped it.

The wheel was buckled and luckily for me the Thai guys in the truck in front of me took me and the bike to a repair place and I was on the road again withing 45minutes, scanning every square inch of the road and changing my headlights so I didn't miss an oil patch, let alone any obstacles.

Subsequently I missed the turn off to Chalong.

After a comfortable peaceful 2 hour bus ride back to Bangkok from Kanchanaburi, we climbed into a taxi and suddenly found ourselves in a video game blend of Duke Nukem and Grand Theft Auto. The taxi careened through the hectic Bangkok traffic on a wild 45 minute ride back to the hotel in the rain. The driver was playing hard, trying to kill as many motorcyclists as possible (10 points), as he pushed from lane to lane without signaling, cutting trucks and busses off, and tailgaiting at every opportunity. My GF and I exchanged glances, and I was pleased to see she knew the danger we were in. With another look, I suggested changing cabs, and she revealed her darker side smugly saying, "I want to see! (him wreck his taxi)." "It's no problem" she whispered, "we will just walk away and leave him with the mess." The air conditioner was going full blast, making me feel like I was in a chilly San Francisco drizzle in my shorts and Tshirt, although just on the other side of the window it was a pleasant 85 degrees. The radio incessantly blasted Thai cell phone commercials, where clever advertisers knew the attention grabbing power of the phone ringing, and added sounds of traffic horns honking through the taxi's over amplified speakers. I tried to cling to the serenity of the weekend as the Bangkok frenzy insisted on crowding it out. Incredibly, we made it to the lobby door of our building. I apathetically spared the driver a course in driving safety, mostly because he would not understand a word I said. Handing him the $5 fare and walking away was revenge enough. A much safer elevator ride to the 5th floor, then apartment door opened as it should, and the peace of our lovely apartment brought the stillness back again.

After a comfortable peaceful 2 hour bus ride back to Bangkok from Kanchanaburi, we climbed into a taxi and suddenly found ourselves in a video game blend of Duke Nukem and Grand Theft Auto. The taxi careened through the hectic Bangkok traffic on a wild 45 minute ride back to the hotel in the rain. The driver was playing hard, trying to kill as many motorcyclists as possible (10 points), as he pushed from lane to lane without signaling, cutting trucks and busses off, and tailgaiting at every opportunity. My GF and I exchanged glances, and I was pleased to see she knew the danger we were in. With another look, I suggested changing cabs, and she revealed her darker side smugly saying, "I want to see! (him wreck his taxi)." "It's no problem" she whispered, "we will just walk away and leave him with the mess." The air conditioner was going full blast, making me feel like I was in a chilly San Francisco drizzle in my shorts and Tshirt, although just on the other side of the window it was a pleasant 85 degrees. The radio incessantly blasted Thai cell phone commercials, where clever advertisers knew the attention grabbing power of the phone ringing, and added sounds of traffic horns honking through the taxi's over amplified speakers. I tried to cling to the serenity of the weekend as the Bangkok frenzy insisted on crowding it out. Incredibly, we made it to the lobby door of our building. I apathetically spared the driver a course in driving safety, mostly because he would not understand a word I said. Handing him the $5 fare and walking away was revenge enough. A much safer elevator ride to the 5th floor, then apartment door opened as it should, and the peace of our lovely apartment brought the stillness back again.

I've read this somewhere before.

GS, the big rock on the hill trick is what the lorries do when overloaded and they fail to get up the hill or are overheating I guess... Wedge a bloody big boulder under the wheel to act as a hill brake..

Then when they do pull away they just leave the boulder in the road (Patong hill is great for this), I would not be at all surprised if your frindly truck driver may have had feelings of guilt :o

I saw an accident at the dolphin roundabout last year some time - a farang on one of those big rental bikes had been literally squashed between a minivan and a songtaew. The bike was wedged under the minivan, and it looked like the guy had almost exploded - there was bits of him scattered in about a 4 meter radius... A small crowd gathered around, just looking...

Never had an accident but feared for my life a few times in taxis.

First time ever in BKK caught a taxi from the airport, down the tollway - when he slowed down, he was doing 140km. White knuckled it the whole way and then he took me to the wrong hotel.

Another time in BKK in a taxi with a friend, came across a bus/car/car pile-up. The taxi driver drove past rubber-necking it, smiling, trying to see what the body count was and nearly cleaned-up the ambulance arriving at the scene.

I'm sure there must be some sort of contest going on for the BKK-Airport route...some of those guys drive SO fast down that tollway.

Never seen an accident in Phuket tho'

Never seen an accident in Phuket tho'

Really? Try riding from Patong to Chalong or Rawai. See how many white chalk outlines (usually of bikes and/or bodies) you can spot drawn on the road. You can even see them in car parks! After my Sunday "dead body trip" I posted earlier, I was driving from Chalong to Rawai and saw a guy on a bike drive into the back of a truck that was slowing down. F***ing stupid! Simply not paying attention to what was happening around him (in fact, directly in front of him, so God knows where he was looking). He wasn't hurt - much - but all his shopping ended up in the road, along with his bike that he managed to jump off.

And one close call I had was when I was parking the truck in Phuket City - near Robinsons. I was stationary with my indicator on, waiting to reverse into a space and one bike went past me, another was overtaking him, and somebody else went into the back of another bike turning right. Probably couldn't see the bike turning right because of the second bike. I don't know - they just don't have much common sense. I now drive as if around every corner, or bend in the road, there is someone coming straight at me (there often is, at traffic lights), so be prepared to stop. And assume that every bike in front or to the left or right is going to stop or do a U-turn right in front of you, without warning. It's the only way to survive! :o

Since UBC (satellite) has taken another holiday tonight... : :o  and i'm unusually caught up on 'work', here's mine:

It(phew! That's enough posting for about another year I figure :D )

Daniel

Great story. Thanks for the effort.

same, thanks for the story.

I saw an accident at the dolphin roundabout last year some time - a farang on one of those big rental bikes had been literally squashed between a minivan and a songtaew. The bike was wedged under the minivan, and it looked like the guy had almost exploded - there was bits of him scattered in about a 4 meter radius... A small crowd gathered around, just looking...

I've never seen such a gory one but motor bike accidents are so commonplace I barely even notice anymore.

I've had lots of close calls. Mainly from numbskulls running red lights in Patong.

Watch out in particular for the Italians and middle easterner tourists on motor bikes. They almost have exclusive rights on "brain dead behaviour".

But the thai guy riding a motorbike holding a child with one hand and talking on the cell phone while happily sailing through a red light is a picture to behold.

Tips for road survival in Phuket: Turn signals, keep your eyes open, and expect to see some of the stupidest driving on the planet(trust me I'm 48 and have lived all over the world, the driving in Phuket rivals the worst anywhere). If you aren't an experienced and sensible motorcycle driver think twice before renting one. The statistics really are not in your favour.

I like it though just because I'm an adrenaline junky. Actually I really really like it. Because I'm really really nuts. :o:D