Speaking Bad English

PaulUSA302

A couple of years back and it was early new years day. My sister from England called to wish me happy new year. "Why are you speaking broken English?" "It's 2 am I'm pissed (UK speak) what do you expect?"

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure it's easy for everyone to slip in to it but as soon as I found myself doing it I'll try to correct it immediately. I am not 1st language English speaker so I try to improve my English as much as possible. Speaking pidgin English to Thais does more bad for them than good on my opinion so I try to speak as normally as I am able, they might even learn something new. If they never learn new words how can they improve?

I have an american friend who is an engineer. Most of the time when he talks to his wife he uses the same language he would when at work. Most of the words go straight over her head. Rather than her saying she does not understand she just nods her head and acts as if she understood. You cannot learn new words if you fail to understand any of the sentence.

I have to agree with this. I had a Thai girl friend for 2,5 years and I noticed my English grammar and pronunciation (not 1st language) going down in every level but she learned a whole bunch and could speak pretty fluently by the time we separated (just a nugget of sarcasm here).

Unless you keep speaking English at the same time you teach someone Tinglish you might start getting into it too deep and it could require a whole new athmosphere to catch on and improve your own English. If you just hang on with pals from your nation while you speak Tinglish, you're up for a surprise the next time you try to speak proper English.

This past October when I was in Thailand. I made some friends with some first time travelers. We met in Phuket and happen to fly back to Bangkok on the same flight and shared a Taxi to our separate hotels.

During the time in the Taxi, I was giving advise and answering their many questions. As it turned out through talking, they were from New Jersey and I am from Delaware and our states neighbor each other..... We had no problem when talking but they did ask me.... "Why are you talking with broken English? It is so funny that you are talking to us as if English is our second language" (They they laughed a little).

I explained that I am so use to talking that way while in Thailand that it is difficult to turn it off....

Also when I am talking with Thia's who were educated in English speaking lands, they will remind me that I can talk to them in regular English.

:D Don't worry about that. For me, English is my mother tongue and in New Zealand my English was perfectly fine until I started making friends with International Students at High School. Since then, my English has'nt been anything but imperfect.

I'm 20 now and when I'm at home my mum asks me "why do you speak like a Chinese?"

And now im in Thailand. Imagine what my English is like now..I mean, even the foreigners here ask me "Can you speak English"...then they so kindly wai me like a Thai..

Geee... :o

This past October when I was in Thailand. I made some friends with some first time travelers. We met in Phuket and happen to fly back to Bangkok on the same flight and shared a Taxi to our separate hotels.

During the time in the Taxi, I was giving advise and answering their many questions. As it turned out through talking, they were from New Jersey and I am from Delaware and our states neighbor each other..... We had no problem when talking but they did ask me.... "Why are you talking with broken English? It is so funny that you are talking to us as if English is our second language" (They they laughed a little).

I explained that I am so use to talking that way while in Thailand that it is difficult to turn it off....

Also when I am talking with Thia's who were educated in English speaking lands, they will remind me that I can talk to them in regular English.

:D Don't worry about that. For me, English is my mother tongue and in New Zealand my English was perfectly fine until I started making friends with International Students at High School. Since then, my English has'nt been anything but imperfect.

I'm 20 now and when I'm at home my mum asks me "why do you speak like a Chinese?"

And now im in Thailand. Imagine what my English is like now..I mean, even the foreigners here ask me "Can you speak English"...then they so kindly wai me like a Thai..

Nuvva Kiwi here.

When I went to OZ and found a job, I was asked........

"You are from New Zealand, where did you learn to speak English?"

Makes me wonder about Ockors. I have since learned "Strine".

I DO have to pull myself up when with my Lil Thai gal.

Speaking correct English is a must, if she is able to improve.

We originally used a Thai - English tourist conversation type book for communication.

In 3 years, her English has improved from really, zilch, to better than many people in NZ, islanders Maoris and many Pakeha. I am so proud of her. It was so hard at first explaining grammar, but all credit to her determination.

I must admit to occasionally, using tinglish in general convos with other Thai folks.

Edited by Zpete

Nuvva Kiwi here.

We originally used a Thai - English tourist conversation type book for communication.

In 3 years, her English has improved from really, zilch, to better than many people in NZ, islanders Maoris and many Pakeha. I am so proud of her. It was so hard at first explaining grammar, but all credit to her determination.

I must admit to occasionally, using tinglish in general convos with other Thai folks.

Gee, I thought I was the only Kiwi around..

Glad to know there's more of the civilised world out there.. :D

You should be really proud of your daughter. Honestly. Have you been back to NZ recently? The majority of any Kiwi's English is terrible, and it seems the further South you go, the worst it gets. I use to live in CHCH and their grammar, aswell as spelling, was aweful. I just could not get over how writers could publish an article in a leading newspaper (The Press), full of grammatical mistakes.

Anyway, my winging aside, I also have a habit of using 'tinglish' with the locals now. To be honest, I like to think of it as a gift (haha!). It's an entire language on it's own, but at least we can both understand each other.

By the way, those Aussies...don't even get me started on them. As a Kiwi, I always got something to say about them. We're at war, and not just on the rugby fields... :D

Nuvva Kiwi here.

You should be really proud of your daughter. Honestly. Have you been back to NZ recently? The majority of any Kiwi's English is terrible, and it seems the further South you go, the worst it gets. I use to live in CHCH and their grammar, aswell as spelling, was aweful. I just could not get over how writers could publish an article in a leading newspaper (The Press), full of grammatical mistakes.

Anyway, my winging aside, I also have a habit of using 'tinglish' with the locals now. To be honest, I like to think of it as a gift (haha!). It's an entire language on it's own, but at least we can both understand each other.

By the way, those Aussies...don't even get me started on them. As a Kiwi, I always got something to say about them. We're at war, and not just on the rugby fields... :D

Must elucidate, "Lil Thai gal" is galfriend......LOL.... proud as punch too, of her.

No prob, easy to read it as you did.

I am in Aotearoa at present, due to health problem, Big C.

(nuffin to do with shopping........LOL)

Will be back come March.

Edited by Zpete

At war? ... Here's the first volley from an Aussie. "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

:o

Edited by keekwai

At war? ... Here's the first volley from an Aussie. "People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

:o

LOL, keekwai

Ya rite having a laff there.

So many ppl forget to read that which they post.

I often have to use the "Edit" function, no person is perfect.

Winging for whinging is so common, especially in the Ockor chatroom I inhabit.

Bad speeling and gramer really bugs me too.......... PMPL

Cheers matey.

Kiwi Pete