"you Have Overstayed 272 Days!"

Rudy47

"Sooner or later the Thai immigration are gonna wake up to the loss of revenue incurred by that limit of 20,000 and increase it to something worthy of a deterrent."

Seems to me if "they" were concerned with revenue losses "they" would just charge 20,000 B or thereabouts for a one year visa and be done with it. Then if you over stayed, no penalties, no fines, no negotiation, just throw your arse under the jail for 90 days and PNG it when you get out. It would make most overstayers legal and collect the max penalty to boot. And, I don't think it would reduce the totals now collected from extensions etc. In addition revenue now spent in Penang, Cambodia, etc on visa runs would probably be spent in Kingdom. Just a thought and what seems a simple plan but maybe this would be too accomodating for the powers that be.

I think the fine has already been increased early this year to Bt500 per day to a limit of Bt50k.

I really don't think the Thai immigration cares much about overstay if you're from a western country and more importantly spend money. Then it's just a nice little earner. I bet you would have a much harder time if you were from Africa or the Philipines.

As I was teaching today I compiled a quiz for the students, to get them used to using Wikipedia. One of the questions was, what is the population of Bangkok? Not just Metropolitan but outlying Changwats also, answer was 11,971,000 of registered people, estimated 4-5 million illegals and a probable daytime population of 20 mill plus from migrant workers.

It seems to me that Immigration have one headache on their hands. Now I know that Wiki is not a verified souce, but even with a 20% allowance downwards for error the figures are staggering. We should remember that we are guests here and abide by the law, smile, jump through the hoops, it's not that difficult.

There are some really retarded posters on here "The overstayer ruins it for the rest"

Why don't you get real? Do you think Thailand is the only country in the world for visits, visa's and overstays?

This is common practise in every country in the whole world man and no one is ruining anything for you. If fact it really is none of your business.

Thailand, like all countries, has rules and fines for overstay. If you think out of the billion travelers around the world each year, a large number would not overstay, you are sadly mistaken.

This is expected and that is why there are rules and fines. It is not the end of the earth. If you did not commit any crimes and you overstayed a year, Thailand would be thankful for your 20,000 up front and thankful when you return and spend even more money here.

If anything gives farangs a bad name in Thailand it is the whore chasers, drunks, drug dealers, criminals, etc. certainly not overstaying a VISA.

It sucks married people who have made a committment to raise a family here in Thailand get lumped into the same class as above.

100,000 foreign husbands, generating 10.5 billion baht in spending with 578,609 jobs created in Isaan, and then get screwed because of the group above.[bangkokpost]

Stop whining about anyone screwing you out of anything until you get involved and try solving the real problem

The fine got increased to 500 baht about 3 and a half years ago and the max is 20.000 baht.

and there is also a local police fine of 1,000 baht for the arrest, booking and release fee, I know as due to an admin cock up when I changed jobs, I had to pay it. The nice people at immigration gave me a letter to my old employer to get them to refund me with the 20,000 I had to pay. But that was over six years ago now.

There are some really retarded posters on here "The overstayer ruins it for the rest"

Why don't you get real? Do you think Thailand is the only country in the world for visits, visa's and overstays?

This is common practise in every country in the whole world man and no one is ruining anything for you. If fact it really is none of your business.

Thailand, like all countries, has rules and fines for overstay. If you think out of the billion travelers around the world each year, a large number would not overstay, you are sadly mistaken.

This is expected and that is why there are rules and fines. It is not the end of the earth. If you did not commit any crimes and you overstayed a year, Thailand would be thankful for your 20,000 up front and thankful when you return and spend even more money here.

If anything gives farangs a bad name in Thailand it is the whore chasers, drunks, drug dealers, criminals, etc. certainly not overstaying a VISA.

It sucks married people who have made a committment to raise a family here in Thailand get lumped into the same class as above.

100,000 foreign husbands, generating 10.5 billion baht in spending with 578,609 jobs created in Isaan, and then get screwed because of the group above.[bangkokpost]

Stop whining about anyone screwing you out of anything until you get involved and try solving the real problem

Good post, but I would say some of the numbskulls who go around spending those billions in Isaan like there is no tomorrow also ruin it for the rest of us.

As I was teaching today I compiled a quiz for the students, to get them used to using Wikipedia. One of the questions was, what is the population of Bangkok? Not just Metropolitan but outlying Changwats also, answer was 11,971,000 of registered people, estimated 4-5 million illegals and a probable daytime population of 20 mill plus from migrant workers.

It seems to me that Immigration have one headache on their hands. Now I know that Wiki is not a verified souce, but even with a 20% allowance downwards for error the figures are staggering. We should remember that we are guests here and abide by the law, smile, jump through the hoops, it's not that difficult.

i hope you add a caveat to use of wiki with a grain of salt.

why the sudden reappearance of 2 year old threads?