Farang Motorcyclists In The Pattaya Area.

Mobi

You must be a real pussy, being too afraid to ride a motorcycle in a tourist resort like Pattaya.

I have lived in Pattaya four years now. In that time I would say I have seen or come upon between 40 to 50 motorbike accidents. I have witnessed 3 people die in those accidents. Alive one second and dead the next. You obviously are much more of a risk taker than I am. I wish you the best of luck and hope nothing as serious as dieing happens to you. If in your opinion I value my personnel safety a little bit more than you I am a “pussy” then I guess you are right.

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You must be a real pussy, being too afraid to ride a motorcycle in a tourist resort like Pattaya.

I have lived in Pattaya four years now. In that time I would say I have seen or come upon between 40 to 50 motorbike accidents. I have witnessed 3 people die in those accidents. Alive one second and dead the next. You obviously are much more of a risk taker than I am. I wish you the best of luck and hope nothing as serious as dieing happens to you. If in your opinion I value my personnel safety a little bit more than you I am a “pussy” then I guess you are right.

It's a fair comment, and nothing wrong with that. Much better than your annoying comment that I had to "admit that I couldn't afford a car".

There are very few places in the world with more motorcycle density on the streets than Pattaya. High numbers of fatalities are to be expected, but the way a person rides a motorcycle makes a huge difference to the chances of coming to grief.

There are a lot of Thais riding bikes drunk and very recklessly at high speed, especially late at night. These make up the lionshare of fatalities.

The thing is Mobi, I would beat any car on that circuit I mentioned riding at a very safe 40 km/h.

Tropo, you really are very passionate about your riding skills, and I have no doubt you can beat any vehicle on earth at any speed you care to nominate. :D

However the public roads of Pattaya are not the place for racing, (even though many may think otherwise), and as a farang and respected member of the Thaivisa community, I would hope you always lead by example. :o

The thing is Mobi, I would beat any car on that circuit I mentioned riding at a very safe 40 km/h.

Tropo, you really are very passionate about your riding skills, and I have no doubt you can beat any vehicle on earth at any speed you care to nominate. :D

However the public roads of Pattaya are not the place for racing, (even though many may think otherwise), and as a farang and respected member of the Thaivisa community, I would hope you always lead by example. :o

Your thread has brought out every anti-motorcyclist on this forum. It wouldn't be right for me to just sit here and take it would it?

The racing idea was introduced by you and Nanlaew. It wasn't my idea, but as I said, I wouldn't have to race to beat any 4-wheeler around Pattaya.

Edited by tropo

I'm certainly NOT anti-motorcyclist. I just don't like pain or the sight of blood especially my own. I love riding and still do so often. I simply consider it suicidal to ride in heavy traffic. I used to enjoy riding in Jomtien but now the traffic there is normally too heavy for an enjoyable ride. After two VERY close calls and being down twice, I gave it up. I even park my car or truck where I am staying and take a baht bus when in Jomtien. I now live up country and enjoy riding in the mountain areas. Even up here there are many hazards. Chickens, dogs, cattle, bicycles and children are the main hazards. My old body doesn't heal that quickly now and I learned long ago the I am NOT bulletproof. Some time back I saw a young girl on a motorcycle get bumped by a car. She went down and a bus ran over her. Most Thais have no choice except to ride a motorcycle but I DO have a choice and I prefer four wheels be it my car, truck or a baht bus.

I'm certainly NOT anti-motorcyclist. I just don't like pain or the sight of blood especially my own. I love riding and still do so often. I simply consider it suicidal to ride in heavy traffic. I used to enjoy riding in Jomtien but now the traffic there is normally too heavy for an enjoyable ride. After two VERY close calls and being down twice, I gave it up. I even park my car or truck where I am staying and take a baht bus when in Jomtien. I now live up country and enjoy riding in the mountain areas. Even up here there are many hazards. Chickens, dogs, cattle, bicycles and children are the main hazards. My old body doesn't heal that quickly now and I learned long ago the I am NOT bulletproof. Some time back I saw a young girl on a motorcycle get bumped by a car. She went down and a bus ran over her. Most Thais have no choice except to ride a motorcycle but I DO have a choice and I prefer four wheels be it my car, truck or a baht bus.

Riding a motorcycle in heavy traffic is relatively safe because the speeds you'll travel at will be slow, and all the 4-wheelers will be crawling along. It's moderate and light traffic that is more dangerous when everything is moving faster.

Without a doubt, Sukhumvit Road claims the most victims. It's one road where I ride along nervously, paying particular attention to high speed vehicles coming up behind me.

4-wheelers are our worst enemy by far and definitely the one's driven by Thais.

In actual fact, because there are so many motorcycles on the roads in Pattaya riding can be safer than back at home. Drivers actually see motorcycles here, whereas in traffic back home we are not seen because motorists don't expect us.

Another factor that makes motorcycling in Pattaya reasonably safe is because when you ride here, people, vehicles and dogs are coming at you from all directions making you much more vigilant. The eyes are always scanning the road ahead, beside and behind. You never switch off and become mesmerized as often is the case on long, quiet roads back at home.

There should actually be far more accidents than there are considering the volume of motorcycles on the road, but due to the reasons mentioned above the number of accidents is relatively low.

Edited by tropo

I have to say in my experience driving a car in pattaya most farang motorcyclists that have learned to drive in there own countries drive very well here its only the ones that start copying the thai style like no helmets that drive bad. I have even seen a young farang with a very small baby drive his motorbike with one hand while he holds the baby with the other crazy or what. I have had 3 accidents with my car from Thai motorbikes hitting me 2 in the rear 1 into my drivers door coming out of a side soi without looking 2 of them just drove away :o The last one was a old man with his whole family on the bike he only had 500 baht on him so I felt sorry for him so I let him go it cost me 1500 baht to fix it myself as its not worth losing your no claims for that amount. Every time I go out in my car I have near misses with crazy Thai motor bike riders with no helmets overtaking another car in a very small soi with me coming right at them its only luck that I have not killed one. The many times I have seen Thai motorbike riders not using indication before turning or the ones that forget to switch them off. . I also learned very quickly here that as a car driver I have to keep as far left as I can especially when coming to left turns to stop motorbikes sneaking up my left side as I turn why don't they just stay at my rear until its safe to pass me. I have never learned to ride a motor bike but my wife does and is a very good driver & I go on the back of her motorbike many times with not to many problems. I also go out on my bicycle where I live not on the main roads in country roads and so far no problems. I have to say that when I drive away from the chonburi area up north the driving is a lot better as I go up to phechabun once a year to see family and its very easy to drive up there not anything like chonburi. Its not a pleasure to drive here but sometimes you have too until there is a good cheap safe public transport for all citizens who live here.

drive safe

regards

scotsman

The racing idea was introduced by you and Nanlaew. It wasn't my idea, but as I said, I wouldn't have to race to beat any 4-wheeler around Pattaya.

Not at all correct sir. I merely suggested that I can and will push you out of the way with my nice, comfortable, air-conditioned big truck as you wobble about trying to beat the other pathetic swarms of sweating motorcyclists frantically trying to select gears after the light has turned green.

You are the one who suggested racing, defined the race track, elaborated on the type of bike to be driven and more recently included the option of taking bets. I just opined that I could squash you like a bug at the traffic lights and with the stereo on, I won't hear your yelping.

There are a lot of Thais riding bikes drunk and very recklessly at high speed, especially late at night. These make up the lionshare of fatalities.

Well that assertion isn't exactly rocket science now is it? I mean, this is Thailand so it stands to reason that number of Thais involved in accidents would be more prolific.

In line with the OP's original thrust, I consider the number of farangs involved in motorcycle accidents regardless of cause and what they chose not to wear, is disproportionately high.

Not at all correct sir. I merely suggested that I can and will push you out of the way with my nice, comfortable, air-conditioned big truck as you wobble about trying to beat the other pathetic swarms of sweating motorcyclists frantically trying to select gears after the light has turned green.

You are the one who suggested racing, defined the race track, elaborated on the type of bike to be driven and more recently included the option of taking bets. I just opined that I could squash you like a bug at the traffic lights and with the stereo on, I won't hear your yelping.

In actual fact you're hijacking this thread with insolent nonsense.

Let's meet up, me on my Air Blade and you in your BIG AIR-CONDITIONED TRUCK and we'll see who's going to squash who and who'll be yelping like a bug.

I've give you a chance to try it anytime you like. I've had plenty of experience dealing with aggressive car drivers in the past...usually at traffic lights when they are forced to stop. That was in Australia where drivers get very aggressive, but I'm quite happy to make an example of you here in Pattaya if you're game.

PS. FYI, Honda Air Blades don't have gears, neither do the other 50% of bikes in Pattaya and most of the bikes which farangs ride/hire.

Edited by tropo

Well that assertion isn't exactly rocket science now is it? I mean, this is Thailand so it stands to reason that number of Thais involved in accidents would be more prolific.

In line with the OP's original thrust, I consider the number of farangs involved in motorcycle accidents regardless of cause and what they chose not to wear, is disproportionately high.

This is nonsense. The number of farangs involved in motorcycle accidents reagardless of cause and what they choose to wear is proportionately low because as a group they are safer riders and less likely to take unnecessary risks.

Edited by tropo

Now, now, there's no need to insult someone just because they don't want to buy a car...and anyway, being a tourist here on a tourist visa, buying a car is not an option for me.

I rest my case.

You rest your case? Really? How's that?

What is it about being on a tourist visa which affects the way I ride motorcycles, or is this just a lame attempt at flame?

There's the 'wannabe mod' button.

Come and see me, and we'll see who's going to squash who and who'll be yelping.

There's the 'testosterone' button.

I've give you a chance to try it anytime you like. I've had plenty of experience dealing with aggressive car drivers in the past...usually at traffic lights when they are forced to stop.

Aha! Meaning that was the ONLY WAY TO CATCH UP WITH THEM AFTER THEY BEAT YOU. That must be the 'feelings of inadequacy' button (common for 2-wheelers).

That was in Australia where drivers get very aggressive, but I'm quite happy to make an example of you here in Pattaya if you're game.

And that would be the 'been there, done that' and 'road-rage' buttons simultaneously? Wow!

Got any more buttons I can push?

Aha! Meaning that was the ONLY WAY TO CATCH UP WITH THEM AFTER THEY BEAT YOU. That must be the 'feelings of inadequacy' button (common for 2-wheelers).

Got any more buttons I can push?

You're not too bright are you. It's not a matter of catching a moving car with a bike, that's easy. The only way to tackle a car (when you're on a bike) is when it's stationary.....not exactly rocket science is it? Of course you'd be cowering behind closed windows and locked doors.

Call it what you like, but if someone is attempting to squash me (like a bug) with their BIG TRUCK it's not about road rage....it's geniune displeasure that would require some type of retaliation. Call it justice. Road rage is a different matter entirely. That's unjustified rage caused by minor incident.

I have no feelings of inadequacy and ride around Pattaya on a small scooter similar to what most other residents ride. It's just an ordinary rental which nobody would even notice. You however are continually harping on about your BIG TRUCK (and air-conditioned too) that's going to squash any motorcyclists who get in your way...that would define "feelings of inadequacy" (common reason for people to buy BIG TRUCKS). If however I was riding a superbike you may have had a point, but a scooter...get real.

It's easy for you to push buttons and insult motorcyclists (me) from the safety of your computer isn't it?

Would you insult me the same way in person? If not, then why do it on here?

Got anymore buttons to push?

Edited by tropo

Hey guys, may I suggest we call time on this? :o

Lets just all agree to disagree, and let the readers decide after weighing up both sides of the arguments, and drawing their own conclusions.

Everyone can also go out onto the highways and byways of Pattaya and it's environs and make their own observations.

It's children day today, so why not do something constructive to help some of the poorer kids in our midst and stop the bickering for a while. :D

I'm off to Sa Kaeo for Mrs Mobi's annual date with the village children.

Have a good weekend everyone and see you on Monday. :D

The stupidest farrang i have ever seen was spotted the other day on central road near carrefoure on a motor byke. For a "helmet" he was wearing a childs plastic toy UK policemans helmet.

Complete prat in my opinion. And whilst I dont mind if he kills himself, he will probably take others with him when he goes.And all this when for about 250 baht you can get a helmet. :o

That's quite unlikely. Why would wearing a cheap helmet make it more likely that he'll kill someone else?

because he must be a cop from the uk

Police were called to the scene of a fatal road crash on Pattaya Third Road in front of Soi 21 on Saturday Afternoon which claimed the life of a Finnish Resident of Pattaya. The crash involved a Honda Phantom motorbike driven by the victim, Mr. Johannes Sulvei aged 51 from Finland and a Silver Honda City driven by Mr. John Faulkner aged 58 from England who was uninjured despite extensive damage to the front of his vehicle. According to accounts from Mr. Faulkner and eye witnesses, the motorbike was driving against the flow of traffic in the wrong lane. Mr. Faulkner was unable to avoid a collision with the bike. By all accounts, Mr. Faulkner appeared not to be at fault; however he did accompany Police to the stationhouse for further questioning.

Hmmm.....

RIP Johannes Sulvei.

Let's meet up, me on my Air Blade and you in your BIG AIR-CONDITIONED TRUCK and we'll see who's going to squash who and who'll be yelping like a bug.

I've give you a chance to try it anytime you like. I've had plenty of experience dealing with aggressive car drivers in the past...usually at traffic lights when they are forced to stop. That was in Australia where drivers get very aggressive, but I'm quite happy to make an example of you here in Pattaya if you're game.

PS. FYI, Honda Air Blades don't have gears, neither do the other 50% of bikes in Pattaya and most of the bikes which farangs ride/hire.

Oh i like this one, can i join in ? :D ill race any 4 wheel vehicle to the poi pet border for a large sum of money,and ill leave 30 minutes after the car/truck ,however i will not disclose what bike i will be on,it wont be an airblade though :o

Oh i like this one, can i join in ? :D ill race any 4 wheel vehicle to the poi pet border for a large sum of money,and ill leave 30 minutes after the car/truck ,however i will not disclose what bike i will be on,it wont be an airblade though :o

Go for it. Finally another motorcyclist speaks out. What would you do if he tried to squash you like a bug?

Oh i like this one, can i join in ? :D ill race any 4 wheel vehicle to the poi pet border for a large sum of money,and ill leave 30 minutes after the car/truck ,however i will not disclose what bike i will be on,it wont be an airblade though :D

Go for it. Finally another motorcyclist speaks out. What would you do if he tried to squash you like a bug?

Oh bugger! Two bikeys, eh? I may be an opinionated prat but know when I am beat. :o

He wouldnt get close enough ! :D

Sawang Boriboon Rescue Workers and Police were called to the front of Soi Pattayaland 2 at the South end of Pattaya Beach Road just before dawn on Tuesday to deal with a fatal road accident involving a foreigner. At the scene, Police inspected the body of Mr. Andrey Kartunov aged 31 from Russia who had died following a single vehicle accident. Eye witnesses mentioned that he approached the area at a high rate of speed and lost control of his high powered Yamaha Motorbike. The victim was not wearing a safety helmet and collided with a street pylon. His body was sent to the local morgue and the Russian Embassy in Bangkok have been informed of the accident and are conducting their own investigation into the death.

Hm......

RIP Andrey Kartunov

My wife has just come in the house and told me a big farang on his motorbike has just crashed into another motorbike after doing wheelies with no helmet going at speed in soi nern plab wan. She told me that 2 thai people where hurt and the farang is in a bad way. I have to say it looks like you are correct mobi about how stupid some farang motorbike riders are in pattaya. They should know better but with no law enforcement in Thailand they think they can do what they like crazy or what. :o

i also need advice on what to do if a big truck tries to crush me like a bug. would like to use it sometime. Right now I am thinking if a ferang driver ever intentially cut me off or tried to hit me with his truck, I would slam my helmet through his windshield and speed off like a baby. If it was a thai, I would smile and wave sorry.

oh btw, the other day i started counting taxi drivers whering helmets and the first 21 wore full face helmets and the 22nd didn't even have a helmet, counted another 10 with full face helmets before getting tired of counting. Do those kepah helmets even protect you in a crash? I ride here in full leather gear, probably the only one in pattaya, it's not too hot with the jacket open.

ive been seeing the scene of a lot of motorbike accidents here lately and know all the percentages and stats causing these accidents. If your alert, sober, and concentrating on you driving, there is no excuse for getting into a crash, even if a car comes out of no where leaving you no room to stop or manouver, you shouldn't be driving that fast when theres a potential opening. I am still desperately waiting for my first crash, I know that theres a 99% chance I will get out of it with nothing more than a couple scratches since I am well protected. I think my first crash will be me driving very fast on the highway and having to make a sudden stop behind a bunch of cars that just braked and theres no space to manouver, I will brake for 3 seconds or so without locking before hitting the vehicle infront of me from behind and trying to spiderman through his windshield shoulder first, that or I brake fast enough but the guy behind me doesn't.

i also need advice on what to do if a big truck tries to crush me like a bug. would like to use it sometime. Right now I am thinking if a ferang driver ever intentially cut me off or tried to hit me with his truck, I would slam my helmet through his windshield and speed off like a baby. If it was a thai, I would smile and wave sorry.

Big brave man???

What happens when I try to hit you with my blacked out windows, helmet or smile?

Not so easy being a coward is it.

Big brave man???

What happens when I try to hit you with my blacked out windows, helmet or smile?

Not so easy being a coward is it.

Did you read what you wrote? It makes no sense at all.

• 2 weeks later...

It appears that another farang biker has taken his last ride in Thailand:

Canadian Dies in Bike Accident

He was (according to witnesses) driving too fast down soi Chaiyapruk in Jomtien on a Harley when an elderly Englishman stepped out in front of him. He hit the Englishman and lost control of the bike. In the news story, it appears he was wearing shorts, and in the news video, he was wearing a helmet. The video shows a damaged baht bus at one point as well. The Englishman (no name given) was taken to the hospital with a broken leg.

The Pattaya People article is the only one I've been able to find regarding this accident. I'm a bit concerned, as I have received text messages from a friend in Thailand telling me that a friend of ours (also a Canadian) had an accident while riding his Harley (same day apparently), but he was in the ICU at the hospital (my friend said his condition was/is "50/50"). My friend didn't say where the accident happened though.

I would find it a strange (tragic) coincidence if (2) Canadians both had serious accidents while riding Harleys on the same day in the Pattaya/Jomtien area. The only name given in the Pattaya People article (for the Canadian) is "Kelsey". Not sure if that's the first, last or knick name (it's not the first name of the guy I know, but I can't recall what his last name is).

I was "downtown" this afternoon and watched a farang try to prove to one of the big tourist coaches that he had right of way! Which he didn't have, he will live to ride another day, but what an idiot!