New Years Accident toll: 401 killed, 4903 injured in road accidents

sbk

Not bad statistics, really.

If you remove the 85% of the deaths that were motorcycle related and compare the statistics with say Scandinavian countries, where you have very little motorbikes, the amount of deaths per capita is pretty much the same!!!

I find most Thai drivers are excellent, compared to the rest of Asia, Arab countries and most Latin countries :o

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not bad statistics, really.

If you remove the 85% of the deaths that were motorcycle related and compare the statistics with say Scandinavian countries, where you have very little motorbikes, the amount of deaths per capita is pretty much the same!!!

I find most Thai drivers are excellent, compared to the rest of Asia, Arab countries and most Latin countries :o

Most motorbikes are hit by cars though!

Came back from Tak yesterday and it was mayhem on the roads. I had to drive very defensively, on the middle lane, in order to avoid thousands of idiots in big cars doing 160 and pushing their way through. Some of them with people in the back.

It keep saying it: driving skills are a form of intelligence and most Thais drive perfectly. It's just the 10% of brainless idiots that create this carnage!

I agree though there are quite a few idiots on thai roads due to lack of governing by police, its culture as well as education. But this is thailand. The whole system of what is right or wrong mostly depend on the wealth and power of a person instead. So it's not really fair to simply blame the police. Who wants to get involved? Unless they need some tea money....

Most thais are skillful drivers, that's what I have noticed.

I agree though there are quite a few idiots on thai roads due to lack of governing by police, its culture as well as education. But this is thailand. The whole system of what is right or wrong mostly depend on the wealth and power of a person instead. So it's not really fair to simply blame the police. Who wants to get involved? Unless they need some tea money....

Most thais are skillful drivers, that's what I have noticed.

skill, a definition: the ability, coming from one's knowledge, practice, aptitude, etc., to do something well

also: competent excellence in performance; expertness; dexterity

If Thais were skillful drivers the accident rate would not be so horrific.

Fatalities per 10,000 registered vehicles:

USA : 18 (2004)

Thailand: 5 (2005)

I think a more enlightening statistic is in 2006 from a population of 300 million 42000 Americans were killed in road accidents.

In the UK in 2006 3172 people were killed in road accidents out of a population of 60 million.

Statistics from Thailand are unreliable to say the least but according to documentation from the health sector, the real death toll could be 20,000 or more if victims who die after being removed from the crash scene are included. This is from a population roughly equivalent to the UKs and who probably cover alot less mileage per person.

Fatalities per 10,000 registered vehicles:

USA : 18 (2004)

Thailand: 5 (2005)

I think a more enlightening statistic is in 2006 from a population of 300 million 42000 Americans were killed in road accidents.

In the UK in 2006 3172 people were killed in road accidents out of a population of 60 million.

Statistics from Thailand are unreliable to say the least but according to documentation from the health sector, the real death toll could be 20,000 or more if victims who die after being removed from the crash scene are included. This is from a population roughly equivalent to the UKs and who probably cover alot less mileage per person.

Another way to look at this is for people to think about how many dead bodies they have seen on the road in their home countries or any place that they have lived vis a vis Thailand? Sadly, for me, Thailand is far ahead of the others and I have heard many other expats say the same thing.

Look at how frequently Thai people commit infractions, perform stunts around you. The death rate follows the very same curve.

Nothing to compare with N American or European drivers. Wherever you are, looked at parked cars, new vehicles, and the amount of scratches and damage on them already, a very low percentage are intact. Thai statistics are a farce. Give each province AT LEAST 1 death per day per province, and you have close to 28, 000 deaths per year, and I suspect the average is about 3 per province per day AND UP.

Anyone thinking there's nothing wrong with Thai drivers is simply a terrible driver himself.

Name ONE famous Thai race car driver.

(Television wannabes wearing fake DUCATI jackets selling cheap wax in infomercials don't count.)

Typicaly amaizing how the percentage figures are expressed to to one hundredth (39.19% eg)

Pity they couldnt be a bit more scientific in preventying deaths - like getting out of the stone age by setting a driving test! Make it illegal for 8 year olds to ride motorcycles.

As we all know the most amaizing thing is to witness a policeman stopping someone for not wearing a crash helmet whilst he waves on the family carrying the new born baby alot!

Are you saying that new born babies should be wearing helmets too?

You could only be thai to respond with such a question - babys shouldnt be carried aloft on motorcycles. The parent s should be educated

And you could only be farang.

Now please tell me how I am going to bring a baby from village A to village B which is 30 km apart?

The thais are a wierd bunch, aren't they? They have a Fortuner Toyota and a honda wave in the front yard, yet they choose to ride on the bike with the whole family. :o

It's not nice calling people stupid but sometimes very difficult to resist. :D

Thais call them: Chalaat nit noi, (smart litlle bit) am I right?

:D

Are the posters who are saying Thais are good drivers on drugs?

The road accident rate and especially the fatality statistics are horrific. One of the worst road accident rates in the World if not the worst.

I've been driving here for years and they certainly are terrible drivers. Inconsiderate, arrogant, dangerous and ignorant.

There is next to no driver education so the vast majority only possess the very bare minimum of driving skills and ability.

You should go to a Land Transport Office and watch them take the driving test. Simple manoeuvres such as a parallel park or a hill start have not even been mastered by 90% of successful applicants. It really is one big joke.

So who taught that mother to ride a bike with a todler standing on the instep whilst she held it in place with her left arm.. whilst it was raining.. meaning if she looked at the front brake lever too hard she would be left to control a slide with one arm.

I stopped when it got heavy and stood in a bus stop. She stopped and (as I live and breath) put a shower cap on the tot's head and drove off!!!

That said (new positive image for the new year) it's better to be amazed every day of ones life than to be bored stupid in ones previous western existence.

Quote: According to ministry records, 60,000 people die in emergencies and road accidents each year.

That means: 164 people die per day from traffic accidents in Thailand.

No it doesn't - it means 164 people die per day from emergencies and traffic accidents.

Emergency does not necessarily mean traffic accident.

Quote: According to ministry records, 60,000 people die in emergencies and road accidents each year.

That means: 164 people die per day from traffic accidents in Thailand.

No it doesn't - it means 164 people die per day from emergencies and traffic accidents.

Emergency does not necessarily mean traffic accident.

Yep sorry you are right.

But anyway even if it is half the number it still are a lot of people that die and could be prevented.

Had a good discussion about this with my Thai team today.

They just do not get it.

Tried to explain them that when you drink alcohol your reaction speed will be negatively influenced.

Wearing a helmet could save your life when having an accident.

Breaking distance related to speed.

And many more.

It is all about knowing a bad situation and a good one.

So you can compare.

That ability is not here with most Thai people.

The current situation is observed as the standard.

So who taught that mother to ride a bike with a todler standing on the instep whilst she held it in place with her left arm.. whilst it was raining.. meaning if she looked at the front brake lever too hard she would be left to control a slide with one arm.

Although it initially seems abhorrent to Western folks to see entire families, including infants, on motorcycles, most of the motorcycle fatalities in Thailand involve individuals, mostly young, and not the heavily laden family transports which are usually driven rather slowly and cautiously hugging the left shoulder. I have had plenty of close calls driving a motorcycle in Thailand, but I have also rode in the past with all four of us on a small Honda Dream. But like my Thai peers, I would always be driving cautiously at that point and I do not recall any near death experiences while chauffeuring the entire family.

I am not surprised that fatalities have gone up while accidents have gone down as one major difference I noted in my last trip in-country after an extended absence of three years was the numbers of large SUV style cars adorned with numerous options protruding from the body, such as ladders on sides to reach the top luggage rack and "roo catchers" on the bumpers, that, along with the increased mass and higher profiles, would ensure that if they did strike a motorcyclist that the chance of the motorcyclist surviving would be greatly diminished.

I truly am shocked that it isn't 10 times higher than that. Really.

I travel phukets roads every day and if I were told these stats were for the Island I would not be a bit surprised.

Its only getting worse here and much worse at that. Patong hill has to be a no go area in anything but hot sunny conditions. I note now that many vehicles pull up in Kathu near the Caltex garage or u turn at the check point if it starts raining. Too afraid to venture up as the descent into Patong must be the worst kilometer of road in Thailand.. or have I not travelled enough?

Its a very seriouse issue and a long standing one which is not going to be address by this generation of powers that be.

Education: Non unless you really want it. Driving test, just pay under the table. If not here, next time you go home to your village.

Enforcement: Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha nobody needs say anymore these days. Its all been said.

Common sense. Even funnier and less likely to improve than the above 2 issues.

Pehaps we view it wrong though. My wife and her friends say the dead person will have good luck in the next life, espescially if they are/were obviously poor in this one. They seem to have less fear (if any) of death.

Perhaps this behaviour is just the unacceptable (to us) other side of the coin to all that is good and well in the country. All the reasons we came here and made it our homes are not the full picture.

My profound condolences to anybody caught up in this carnage.

I too drive the Phuket roads, I agree with what you say right down to the wife's, I not scare to die ! but can you understand the Police reducing the three lane highway down to one.... to I think ???? protect the U turners at peak periods, with NO warning, I have already lost a friend, It could only happen here :o

401 dead in "seven high risk travel days" of New Year holiday

BANGKOK, Jan 4 (TNA) - The overall death toll from road accidents throughout Thailand reached 401 on Thursday, the last day of the "seven high risk travel days" of the New Year's holiday, a senior official said Friday.

Deputy Interior Minister Bunyat Junsena, in his capacity as deputy director of the government-initiated Road Safety Centre (RSC) that 354 road accidents took place nationwide on Thursday, causing 32 deaths and 389 injuries.

Drunken driving was a factor in most accidents and most accidents involved motorcycles, he said.

Total road accidents during the so-called "seven high risk travel days" from December 28 through January 3 reached 4,475, up 19 from last year, while the number of people killed was 401, 48 victims less than 2006, while the total number injured was 4,903, down 40 from last year.

The northern province of Chiang Rai had the most accidents (157) and most injured (169) , while Bangkok had 24 fatalities, highest among the country's 76 provinces.

The northeastern province of Yasothorn recorded the fewest accidents (3).

However, provinces that were fatality-free were Mae Hong Son, Pattani, and Narathiwat.

In an attempt to reduce both road accidents and the number of casualties during the New Year celebrations by at least 10 per cent from last year, the government established the RSC.

In operation through January 3, the centre aimed to reduce road accidents to 4,133 at most and the death toll to not more than 413, while the number of injuries was projected to reach 4,568 nationwide by the end of the seven-day holiday period.

After the press conference, Mr. Banyat officially closed the RSC. Thanking all those involved in ensuring the safety of the public during the holiday, the deputy minister said he would apply the lessons learned from operating the centre this year to make more effective measures in the future.

(TNA)-E 003

Topic title edited to reflect new toll

i made a trip from pak chong to surin,to meet friends and have our new-years party there,i'll never drive my car anymore during these days,this is crazy!! and the way back home two days later was even worse,this people really have no idea about responsibillity or fear while they are sober but when they are drunk,than it really becomes madness.

I think it's important when looking at these figures to keep in mind that Thailand has a population of over 65 million.

Thai population, 61.5 million

NZ road toll is 18, for 4 million people.

Muliply that by 15 for comparison = 270.

Not good either, actually double last year for Xmas - New Year holidays.

Name ONE famous Thai race car driver.

Prince Bira of Siam

I well remember Prince Bira, one of my grand prix idols of 1950s

He was once ticketted in Auckland, driving his grand prix car down Great South Road.........PMPL.

"Prince Bira died at Baron's Court Underground Station in London on 23 December 1985. He fell down with a heart attack, and no one knew who this old Asian person was. A handwritten note was found in his pocket, and so Scotland Yard sent it to be analyzed at the University of London, which identified it as being written in Thai, addressed to Prince Bira. The Royal Thai Embassy was notified, which then realized that the old man was Prince Bira, a forgotten hero who had once made such an impact for Thailand and whom all Siamese knew. A Thai funeral service was held at the Wimbledon temple, and the prince was later cremated according to Thai and Buddhist customs." :D

What a sad and lonely way to die for a Thai Prince, just 74 years of age.

http://www.soravij.com/bira.html

Sorry if it's off topic. :o

LaoPo

I think it's important when looking at these figures to keep in mind that Thailand has a population of over 65 million.

Thai population, 61.5 million

NZ road toll is 18, for 4 million people.

Muliply that by 15 for comparison = 270.

Not good either, actually double last year for Xmas - New Year holidays.

Thai population, July 2007 estimate = 65,068,149

Ref: CIA Factbook

UK has a population of 60 milliion and during the WHOLE of 2006 had a roads fatality count of 3172.

For sure the majority of fatalities are motorcyclists in Thailand. It would be interesting to see how the two countries compared if we factored in the number of motorcyclists in both countries.

UK has a population of 60 milliion and during the WHOLE of 2006 had a roads fatality count of 3172.

For sure the majority of fatalities are motorcyclists in Thailand. It would be interesting to see how the two countries compared if we factored in the number of motorcyclists in both countries.

For sure most of the fatalities are motorcyclists and that is exactly why the figures are so bad.

Motorcyclists are one of most vulnerable groups of road users.

Perhaps if there existed proper enforcement of the rules, proper training, an acceptance of responsibility and the sense of consequences then the tragic death toll, not just during new year, but all year round could be reduced.

Well you might have showed what is really important, the money? You most certainly have saved your own life, and those around you IMHO..

good job... :o

Hi All and Merry Xmas.....

sadly here in China, my 8 years working experience have shown that the death by traffic 'statistics' are even wirse than LOS..... I return home to Chiangmai for the university hols and Chinese Spring Festival in 3 weeks, where my blood pressure will significantly REDUCE whilst driving or crossing byeways and highways - a sad comparison, but true.

hugggz to All,

Brewstaa

I have been SmokeyFree for 2 Years, 4 Months, 1 Week, 2 Days, 20 hours and 27 minutes (861 days). I have saved £5,601.49 by not smoking 25,855 cigarettes.