Evaluate Another Of My Pics

donna

i like that photo , the exposure of the face is just right , (and it doesnt look like a flashgun was used) not too bleached out or in too much shadow , as so often happens with portraits here in thailand.

the creases on her face show up well. focussing could be a bit sharper though , but that might be because of the resizing.

thanks for the comments. the pic is actually a scan, thus the lack of sharpness. no flash was used. just pointed and clicked. a lucky shot i think, but one that i still love, years after it was taken.

yes, she was my avatar for a while.

taken of a lovely (read: cheeky) old woman in an akha village out of chiang rai. i actually took this years ago on a canon EOS but scanned the pic after that camera was stolen and i moved to digital.

Hi Donna,

This is of course a lovely photo, but it suffers from the same technical problem as your other photo posted here. The image compression is set to much too high. Open your image and look at it full size - you can easily see the blockiness in the black areas. Not only will you easily see the blocks if you print it out, but you lose a lot of details in the image (such as the fine lines in the face) and tonality.

I suggest you try to find out how this happened and rectify it

cheers

nm

taken of a lovely (read: cheeky) old woman in an akha village out of chiang rai. i actually took this years ago on a canon EOS but scanned the pic after that camera was stolen and i moved to digital.

Looks like your friend with the red nose who touts her trinkets around Patong.

Hi Donna,

This is of course a lovely photo, but it suffers from the same technical problem as your other photo posted here. The image compression is set to much too high. Open your image and look at it full size - you can easily see the blockiness in the black areas. Not only will you easily see the blocks if you print it out, but you lose a lot of details in the image (such as the fine lines in the face) and tonality.

cheers

nm

thanks for the tips. i take most of my pics in full resolution. when i put them on here, i downsize as much as i can. id say thats my problem.

some of my pics are over 4mb in size so i cant put full size on here. (am i thinking along the same lines as you or completely way off mark?)

Hi Donna,

cheers

nm

thanks for the tips. i take most of my pics in full resolution. when i put them on here, i downsize as much as i can. id say thats my problem.

some of my pics are over 4mb in size so i cant put full size on here. (am i thinking along the same lines as you or completely way off mark?)

Hi Donna,

Yes, you're on the right track. There are two ways to reduce the file size, and you need to employ both.

One is to reduce the size of the photo - make the photo smaller, with fewer pixels.

If you use a 4mp camera, your photo will be around 2300x1700 pixels... ? For posting to the web, you can make a copy at perhaps 800 pixel wide. People will usually not need your full size photo anyway (on the web)

The other is to use a sensible level of compression. With higher compression, the same photo size will take less file size. The problem with too much compression is that the pictures turn poor quality - you get square blocks, you lose sharpness, you lose tonality (those fine nuances of colours and brightness).

The JPG compression is usually set on a scale from 1-10, 1-12 (photoshop), 1%-100%, fine-medium-basic or something like that. You currently use too much compression. Whichever program you use - look around for the options and choose a compression in the medium range for posting to the web.

You will find that if you resize to around 800pixel wide, you can use medium-high compression and still get a file size of less than 100k

brgds

NM