Security Tightened In Bangkok

george

Police, soldiers to beef up security in Bangkok

security_BTS.jpg

Security guard at BTS Surasak Station. Photo: thaindian.com

BANGKOK: -- The Army, Navy and Air Force will assist the Metropolitan Police to beef up security in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.

Pol Col Piyaphan Pingmuang, deputy spokesman of the Metropolitan Police Bureau, said the Air Force would deploy its personnel to keep security in northern Bangkok and the Army in central Bangkok while the Navy would help monitor the situation on the Thon Buri side.

The Metropolitan Bureau would deploy one company of police to watch over 38 venues where the New Year celebrations will be held on New Year's Eve, he said.

He said 19 areas would be under special close watch, including Central World.

--The Nation 2007-12-31

Security tightened in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Last year a series of explosion rocked the capital of Thailand resulting in cancellation of New Year Eve celebrations. The four explosions were thought to have happened within 90 minutes of each other across the capital, beginning at 5:30pm (local time) at central Bangkok’s Victory Monument. This year however, the authorities are taking extra precautions to avoid any incident.

Prime Minister and Minister of Interior General Surayud Chulanont traveled to inspect preparations for New Years Celebrations throughout yesterday before meeting with heads of different forces.

General Surayud met with Army Commander General Anupong Paojinda to review his plans for security. General Anupong assured the Prime Minister that all his forces were in place to facilitate members of the public in staying safe during the holiday. He said that not only will the army help to monitor the general situation it has also initiated a plan to review its work to progressively improve the implementation of safeguards. A hotline for citizens to call with complaints has been initiated at 1374.

The premiere also met with other groups assisting in public safety throughout the nation and gave them moral support and well wishes to carry out their duties.

BMA moves Buddha statue to Sanam Luang for public reverence

Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) Governor Apirak Kosayothin revealed that the BMA has decided to allow citizens to make merit and pay reverence to the cities statue of Buddha by moving the statue from City Hall to Sanam Luang.

The statue is considered the city’s official holy symbol and is usually situated inside City Hall. The statue will be open for the public to make merit to until January 1st.

The governor also stated that the city has tightened security to ensure safety for celebrating citizens on the occasion of the New Year. Over 1000 surveillance cameras have been installed in 36 districts throughout the center of the capital with private establishments also contributing to camera installation. The BMA has amassed 1,196 municipal workers to join hands with military, police and volunteer efforts to stem incidents during the festivities and it assures a high level of fluid communication between all safeguards.

--thaindian.com 2007-12-31

the security at BTS and siam paragon is horrible though, when they check your bags they simply ask "do you have a bomb inside?" and when i said "yes" to see what would happen, they simply laughed and let me pass inside.

Did you tell them you were returning the bomb because it didn't match the color of your car? They could possibly point you in the right direction to find one that would be more suitable.

the security at BTS and siam paragon is horrible though, when they check your bags they simply ask "do you have a bomb inside?" and when i said "yes" to see what would happen, they simply laughed and let me pass inside.

Ofcourse ..... Here in Europe or US you will be put behind bars. But what if a Thai would say "YES" ?

hahaha maybe you should of said i have drugs they might of responded better :o

The security at Central Lad Prao is laughable also. They have security guards and a bag check at the doors coming in to the mall from the taxi stand, but that is the only one. All of the entrances from the parking garage, basement level doors, etc are unmonitored.

:o Well, that could be the intelligent application of threat/passenger profiling. It doesn't happen in Europe due to political correctness.

At MBK they got such a metal dedector frame to walk through like on airports, it's giving alarm all the time but no bags are checked or anything, several security guys just standing there beside it. Does anyone know if it would give a louder noise if it would be a bigger piece of metal such as a gun or bomb?

Or is it just a big joke?

:o Well, that could be the intelligent application of threat/passenger profiling. It doesn't happen in Europe due to political correctness.

And the profile is that someone with a bomb would not say that they had a bomb, therefore he must not have had a bomb?

ANYONE even joking they have a bomb or a gun in any bags should instantly receive a big knot on his noggin from a officers night stick and promply be trotted off to the local lockup.

This joking "I have a bomb/gun" bullshit is the epitomony of ignorance and makes a mockery of thousands who have given their lives to prevent just such acts from plaguing law abiding nations worldwide.

I'm actually okay with the racial profiling used here and wished it was used in the States. It would save much time, effort, and money. No way in Thailand would they pull out some frail 85-year old woman and give her (& luggage) a full search...a totally random method which tends to give some suspicious looking people a pass.

I'm at MBK, Siam Paragon, Central World, Emporium, etc...at least a couple of times a week and have never been asked any questions when the detector goes off. In fact, I have never even had my shopping bags checked when others with the same bag have been reviewed more thoroughly. But then again, my farang characteristics likely don't appear suspicious...and is likely not the profile for which they are searching. I have, however, witnessed more thorough checks of Thais when carrying suitcase sized items/packages (esp. when male and not dressed appropriately for the particular venue).

Given a long history in Thailand, there is no evidence that a farang has done anything threatening to the magnitude mentioned above. So why should there be the grave concern when a farang walks through a detector? Furthermore, much of the world doesn't have detectors at mall entrances (including the States)...so what's the concern here when a farang goes lightly checked in Thailand?

I'm actually okay with the racial profiling used here and wished it was used in the States. It would save much time, effort, and money. No way in Thailand would they pull out some frail 85-year old woman and give her (& luggage) a full search...a totally random method which tends to give some suspicious looking people a pass.

I'm at MBK, Siam Paragon, Central World, Emporium, etc...at least a couple of times a week and have never been asked any questions when the detector goes off. In fact, I have never even had my shopping bags checked when others with the same bag have been reviewed more thoroughly. But then again, my farang characteristics likely don't appear suspicious...and is likely not the profile for which they are searching. I have, however, witnessed more thorough checks of Thais when carrying suitcase sized items/packages (esp. when male and not dressed appropriately for the particular venue).

Given a long history in Thailand, there is no evidence that a farang has done anything threatening to the magnitude mentioned above. So why should there be the grave concern when a farang walks through a detector? Furthermore, much of the world doesn't have detectors at mall entrances (including the States)...so what's the concern here when a farang goes lightly checked in Thailand?

No, you just have them at schools

ANYONE even joking they have a bomb or a gun in any bags should instantly receive a big knot on his noggin from a officers night stick and promply be trotted off to the local lockup.

This joking "I have a bomb/gun" bullshit is the epitomony of ignorance and makes a mockery of thousands who have given their lives to prevent just such acts from plaguing law abiding nations worldwide.

Doubled and trippeled!

This forum has once again become a place where idiots and ignorance gather together to beat each other in demonstrating their intelligence.

No matter what Thais do or not do it's always wrong, it's always useless, stupid, laughable, rediculous, unprofessional and, and, and....

Happy New Year to everybody and if for any reason a bomb goes off somewhere may some of the super funny jokers in this forum be the victims instead of security guards or innocent people.

After a bombing at a Marriott i Jakratta, I believe, everyone was put metall detector at the entrance. Half the time it wastn't even on

post-54955-1199091767_thumb.jpg

After a bombing at a Marriott i Jakratta, I believe, everyone was put metall detector at the entrance. Half the time it wastn't even on

post-54955-1199091767_thumb.jpg

You must either be living or working at the Marriott in Jakarta - I mean obviously you need to be there all time to know that the scanners are no turned on half the time.

No, they are merely making a mockery of the ridiculous security procedures. We are expected to take these clowns seriously? On entering the MRT, these polite but poorly-trained amateurs look in my bag, see a laptop and wave me through. Can you think of a better place to stash a couple of bricks of C4, a detonator, a power supply and a remote trigger? Most of it is already built in -- thanks Acer!! So why don't they make me open it and check that it is indeed a functioning computer? Because nobody would ride the MRT anymore. So why bother with the security at all? You tell me.

But your contention that daring to make a joke where a joke desperately needs to be made should be met with swift and harsh punishment is in keeping with the "world without irony" policy that is making life less colourful. In the course attempting (vainly in the case of Bangkok security) to preserve a few lives, we are making life far more restrictive and boring.

By the way, can you explain this to me? "thousands who have given their lives to prevent just such acts from plaguing law abiding nations worldwide." Who are these thousands? .... and which are the law-abiding nations? Surely you don't mean American & British soldiers in Iraq and the USA respectively, do you? (Mind you, it is easy to abide by the laws if you make them up as you go along). Please tell me the world isn't that black and white...

No, they are merely making a mockery of the ridiculous security procedures. We are expected to take these clowns seriously? On entering the MRT, these polite but poorly-trained amateurs look in my bag, see a laptop and wave me through. Can you think of a better place to stash a couple of bricks of C4, a detonator, a power supply and a remote trigger? Most of it is already built in -- thanks Acer!! So why don't they make me open it and check that it is indeed a functioning computer? Because nobody would ride the MRT anymore. So why bother with the security at all? You tell me.

But your contention that daring to make a joke where a joke desperately needs to be made should be met with swift and harsh punishment is in keeping with the "world without irony" policy that is making life less colourful. In the course attempting (vainly in the case of Bangkok security) to preserve a few lives, we are making life far more restrictive and boring.

By the way, can you explain this to me? "thousands who have given their lives to prevent just such acts from plaguing law abiding nations worldwide." Who are these thousands? .... and which are the law-abiding nations? Surely you don't mean American & British soldiers in Iraq and the USA respectively, do you? (Mind you, it is easy to abide by the laws if you make them up as you go along). Please tell me the world isn't that black and white...

September 11, Lockerbee, London Subway, - where is all the professional western safety and security? Why don't you make some jokes about those? Or is that what you mean makes the world and our life more colorful?

I think it should be said for the record that if you joke with security people

in general about having a bomb or gun, you will probably end up

being interrogated for hours someday. I know of actual experiences.

Be careful with security people.

September 11, Lockerbee, London Subway, - where is all the professional western safety and security? Why don't you make some jokes about those? Or is that what you mean makes the world and our life more colorful?

Actually, I think most of that security is ineffective as well -- from what I have read. You see, Thailand is where I live so since I know it best, Thailand is what I joke about -- I hope that is okay with you that I base my little jokes on somewhere I know. But if you want to hear something positive, then here it is: The security guys at the MRT are the most polite and respectful of any I have encountered anywhere, and this attitude makes the pointless exercise of looking in my bag that much more tolerable. And they do have a sense of humour. I borrowed a friend's hairdressing practice head and put it in my bag, opened it for inspection with my regular morning security man and he jumped four feet in the air -- followed by great gales of laughter on all sides. God bless Thailand I say, if only for precious moments like these. That is a small example of a colourful life -- since you seem to need to have the concept explained to you, Mr Uptight No-laughing-matter.

Doubled and trippeled!

This forum has once again become a place where idiots and ignorance gather together to beat each other in demonstrating their intelligence.

No matter what Thais do or not do it's always wrong, it's always useless, stupid, laughable, rediculous, unprofessional and, and, and....

Happy New Year to everybody and if for any reason a bomb goes off somewhere may some of the super funny jokers in this forum be the victims instead of security guards or innocent people.

Fully agree,nothing to add!

... and you might be the first one who screams and complains if they poke a finger [inappropriate language removed]

So be honest, did you have a bomb ?

If the answer is no, the guys did a good job.

:o

maxi

Edited by george
Inappropriate language /Mod

Doubled and trippeled!

Fully agree,nothing to add!

ok - I won't say anything out loud.

But I carry my own bomb with me , because as we know the chances of there being two bombers at the same time are astronomically high. :o:D

Well, all the joking aside. I just want to wake up in the morning, still alive and with all my bodily parts still intact after having a good enjoyable night out to welcome the new year in.

At least some thought has been put into this and security has been tightened to protect all even though some think it's not good enough.

I'd rather have some than none so that maybe my family have 50% less chance of taking me home in a box on new year.

May everyone have a good enjoyable and prosperous New Year.