Lloyds Bank Cards

Well after spending 3 weeks in Thailand and a lack of Travellers Cheques, off I went to an ATM to withdraw funds.

First time no problem and came away with 20,000 TB.

BUT.....

The second time i got a message, refer to your Bank!!!!!

After a £10 phone call to the UK I was told that Thailand was a "Dodgy country for fraud" and as such my card had been stopped.

Even though the day before I travelled, I contacted the card services to inform that I would be using my card abroad.(Same thing happen in August)

Funny thing is that after using the card a few more time the same thing happened and I had to phone the UK again.

Beware Using Lloyds Banks Cards in Thailand.

I am now currently in the process of moving to the Nationwide as they don`t charge for using their cards abroad.......

I had this problem with Lloyds. Last time I was here the card suddenly wouldn't allow me to withdraw and I had to make an expensive call, and answer questions and stuff before they'd unblock it. Before I left this time I phoned them to ask them to make sure this wouldn't happen again and they said they couldn't do it!

The cash charge always seems to be about £2.50 no matter how much you draw out.

Sounds like Nationwide is a good idea. Guess I shall open a Thai bank account.

I've had this problem before with Lloyds TSB, even phoning them before leaving telling them i would be in Thailand withdrawing money from atms and please don't block my card. Of course it got blocked after a couple of withdrawls. Phoned up the UK helpline who unblocked it. I did ask why it had been blocked when i had told them specifically not to block my card. The reply was it doesn't matter a dam_n if you've informed them before hand, if the security system thinks it's dodgy your card gets blocked.

Actually they are just trying to protect your interests. Would you rather they do nothing

if they suspected something shonky was happening with your card ?

And it only costs me Bt 7 a minute to call UK. Tip ... get a cheap local SIM.

Naka.

Actually they are just trying to protect your interests. Would you rather they do nothing

Whilst this is no doubt true, it's more than mildly annoying when they block your card EVEN IF YOU'VE TOLD THEM YOU'RE GOING OVERSEAS!

It's not just Lloyds, Barclaycard used to regularly block my card, usually when I changed countries and it it is MOST embarrassing being in a hotel reception being told the card you're using to pay a $2000 bill has been declined.

They seem to have finally realised that I travel extensively and use my card in assorted countries. Interestingly Thailand was one of the few places that DIDN'T cause a block although it did get blocked on my return to the UK, go figure.

Nationwide only blocked my card when I went to the Netherlands having used it all over Asia for several years, never worked that one out either, there has to be some logic behind these blocks, just never managed to work it out.

Well at least its not just me this has happened to....

Have closed my savings accounts and also credit card with Lloyds now.

Have opened a Natiowide account which will take about a week to set up.

Having a card that I can use in LOS without any charges seems like a good thing to me.

No more travellers checks required and no more visits to Exchanges where it seems like an eternity to cash a cheque sometimes.

ATMs are much easier to use (if your card has not been blocked)....

I had the same problem when Lloys blocked my card and when I got through to the card security department and answered their security questions I pointed out that I actually live in Thailand as my address shows.

It happened last month and when I spoke to the guy and said that I could not use the card "again" he said that it wasn't blocked but there was now showing of any transactions. I explained as patiently as I could that there would be no transactions showing as I could not use the d@mn card.

Next morning surprise, surprise my card worked.

Go figure it out as I can't.

I can only open a Nationwide account on the Isle of Man but I get no ATM or debit cards so I am not sure what to do here.

Guess what? It happened to me again yesterday.

I called Lloyds on 44-1702-278-270 and the 'unblock/lost card line' was "very busy" call back later....

This happens so often for me now, that the unblock number is programmed on my mobile phone.

It always happens at the most inconvenient time, and no apologies are given by the call centre staff. It makes my blood boil.

But we are stuck with it.

My question would be: If your PIN is secure, how can an ATM withdrawal be blocked. My daily limit is 500 GBP a day. Why not someone call me? They have my telephone number here in Thailand and they could ask me have I made, for example 3 consecutive daily withdrawals (Finnbarr Saunders Ooh Err)..

Anyway, good moan for New Years Day.

Edited by libya 115

I have Lloyds cards which have a UK address despite the fact that I have lived in Thailand for

many years.

My cards are never blocked in Thailand despite using them often and again despite having a UK

address on them !

Last time I went to Singapore I bought a watch using a CC. Some hours later I went to

an ATM for cash using the same CC, result blocked. Called and had it unblocked with the

explanation that it was "unusual" e.g. Singapore instead of Thailand as normal.

So it would appear their 'system' worked, and I did not mind calling to have it re-opened.

Ok ... I agree if you use the card in Thailand often then it should not be blocked

for something not obviously suspect.

Regarding 'telling them in advance' they told me they did not use this facility :o

and also said their system was automated (the computer did it).

Naka.

Hi there

I've been using my Nationwide account for business withdrawals for 4 years now and it's saved me fortunes compared to the 4-5% that the 'big four' charge. Also, my account has never been blocked and I use it regularly in ATMs and to sign for goods.

Switch from the rip-off merchants asap - all Nationwide's products are better value and you get a more personal service.

Cheers, Jack

Well after spending 3 weeks in Thailand and a lack of Travellers Cheques, off I went to an ATM to withdraw funds.

First time no problem and came away with 20,000 TB.

BUT.....

The second time i got a message, refer to your Bank!!!!!

After a £10 phone call to the UK I was told that Thailand was a "Dodgy country for fraud" and as such my card had been stopped.

Even though the day before I travelled, I contacted the card services to inform that I would be using my card abroad.(Same thing happen in August)

Funny thing is that after using the card a few more time the same thing happened and I had to phone the UK again.

Beware Using Lloyds Banks Cards in Thailand.

I am now currently in the process of moving to the Nationwide as they don`t charge for using their cards abroad.......

Correct, nationwide is very good, make a point of telling them you are in s e asia, however visa may well lower the limit on your card, it happenened to me, you can still go to the window in the wall with passport but you may be limited to 50 pounds or so from the atm,

I've had this problem before with Lloyds TSB, even phoning them before leaving telling them i would be in Thailand withdrawing money from atms and please don't block my card. Of course it got blocked after a couple of withdrawls. Phoned up the UK helpline who unblocked it. I did ask why it had been blocked when i had told them specifically not to block my card. The reply was it doesn't matter a dam_n if you've informed them before hand, if the security system thinks it's dodgy your card gets blocked.
its visa/mastecard that block it ,not the bank, the bank sometimes arent even aware of it but will act as mediators to get you restored,.

I've used my Natwest Cirrus card in Malaysia, Thailand and Viet Nam and never even told them I was going to S. E. Asia. Don't know whether to be happy or concerned about that but unless they know the PIN it's useless to anybody. The one time I did have a problem was in KL when the system was down. I tried it three times in one night without luck. Next day still no good so I phoned them and got put through to their fraud department (now I was sweating). They said the three declines in a single night was highlighted by the system and they thought it best to close the card down. Apologised for the inconvenience and reactivated the card immediately.

I like the sound of the Nationwide and will be looking into changing to them next time I'm back in dear old Blighty. The charges on the cirrus, fixed lump plus percentage, p1ss me off.

btw never mind Thailand, the UK is just as dodgy for card use these days. My brother in law used his card, don't know which one, at a filling station in Farnborough, Hampshire one day. The very next day he got a call from the bank that someone was trying to use "it" in Phuket.

• 3 months later...

Lloyds TSB, love them or hate them, the latter for me at the moment. My card was blocked 2 days ago, after the 15 min phone call, all o.k, yesterdey blocked again, another long call to that on hold center, now o.k again. I've been with them 32 years, but get fed up talking to computers all the time.

BTW I always tell them I'am off to Thailand,the fact is it's on the dodgy list, for reasons most of us know.

Regards,

TYPHOON. :o

Lloyds TSB, love them or hate them, the latter for me at the moment. My card was blocked 2 days ago, after the 15 min phone call, all o.k, yesterdey blocked again, another long call to that on hold center, now o.k again. I've been with them 32 years, but get fed up talking to computers all the time.

BTW I always tell them I'am off to Thailand,the fact is it's on the dodgy list, for reasons most of us know.

Regards,

TYPHOON. :o

I am with Citibank in Singapore and travel a lot in SEA and have never had a problem with the ATM card...simply because before they block any card they phone me and ask.... or send email for me to contact them urgently.....if no response from me within 24 hours cards blocked..Excellent customer service

Both mine and my wifes cards would not work for a week during SongKran even though funds were available and the phone bank said there was no problem with the cards.

I seems as though the link from the village to Kbank in Bangkok and onwards was down but of course Kbank also said there was no problem. On the Sunday morning after SongKran I tried again and instant access. What a surprise.

And it only costs me Bt 7 a minute to call UK. Tip ... get a cheap local SIM.

Naka.

Better tip, get an International Phone Card and it only costs 1 Baht a minute to UK.