Western Wine In Isan?

skysurfn3d

Hi,

We are doing our Isan wedding in March and would like to serve some Western wine or Champagne for the dinner with the close family.

Does anyone know of a store(s) in either Ubon Ratchathani or Mukdahan which sells some western spirits?

-Alex

hI Issan maybe a bit out of the way, but it is not the end of the earth. There are plenty of places that sell good french and Aussie wines. Big C Tesco lotus plus any of the larger general stores. Though I doubt there will be many takers for wine better go for Gin & tonic, the best Lao Kow they will have ever try. Good luck with wedding, been there done that. JIM

I'm assuming that you are situated half way between Mukdahan and Ubon? I do know of a supplier in Surin where we recently purchased wine and vodka for our wedding in Nongkhai. You can buy a whole range of western spirits from a guy called Nobbi. He was based in Nongkhai but know resides in Surin where he is set up as "Nobbi's Restaurant and Minimarket" Unfortunately, I dont have a website link for you. Alternatively, look at some of the sponsors of this forum. Hope this helps.

Guemlum

I'm assuming that you are situated half way between Mukdahan and Ubon? I do know of a supplier in Surin where we recently purchased wine and vodka for our wedding in Nongkhai. You can buy a whole range of western spirits from a guy called Nobbi. He was based in Nongkhai but know resides in Surin where he is set up as "Nobbi's Restaurant and Minimarket" Unfortunately, I dont have a website link for you. Alternatively, look at some of the sponsors of this forum. Hope this helps.

Guemlum

I suggest you send your wife to Laos. Prices of Alcoholic beverages are half Thailand. Customs are tolerant I recommand some Bordeaux like "Mouton Cadet". More, Laotian shopkeepers do not pay attention to the wine age. (Old stocks have to be reduced!!!).

I am a French living in Nakhon Phanom, my "mia" is crossing the Mekong for 70 TBT, and this solve all our needs (If, myself crosses the border, the visa laotian is 2000TBT: better your fiancee do it).

Avoid Burgundy wines, they are excellent in France but because these wines are not travelling well better to avoid (we use to say: it is broken by travelling outside France). A 4 / 5 years old Bordeaux is a good average choice. Languedoc wines (Cabernet Sauvignon) are second choice.

Edited by Asian Frog

yes, we sell wine and Sect ( germen champagne) but we do buy our sect from Nobby's, so you are a lot cheaper going there. I have a good wine supplier in Surin that sells it to me cut price, but in the pub we do have a good selection of Chilean, Australian, French and Spanish wines. Good advice is shop at Nobby's as he has a far superier selection than us anyway. Good luck, happy New Year and luck for the years to come.

As mentioned earlier.............you will find everything you need in Ubon.

In addition to the big shopping centres, there are a couple of liquer/wine stores in the Chinese part of town (South/East side)

If your wedding is an ordinary Thai/Isaan one, buy beer, 100 Pipers/Regency, and add some Spy for the women! :o

And of course get whatever you, your wife, and other farangs would like to drink. :D

Good luck! :D

Hi,

We are doing our Isan wedding in March and would like to serve some Western wine or Champagne for the dinner with the close family.

Does anyone know of a store(s) in either Ubon Ratchathani or Mukdahan which sells some western spirits?

-Alex

If you are living in Ubon than it's not far to Sisaket where you can visit Toni's Shop. German Wine and Sekt(sparkling Wine )

Thanks all for the quick replies!

We actually will be having the wedding in Nikhom Kham Soi, which is where the family lives.

Of course we will be having beer for the Thai guests at the lunch and dinner. Just the dinner (for ~75 family members) we will have wine/champagne to raise a toast, not for the whole night! We rather not "westernize" the wedding too much, it should be more Isan style :o

Happy New Year!!!

Alex

I was in Kamcha-I, Mukdahan recently and tried the red wine made locally at an OTOP fair.

I was very impressed and would certainly give it a try if I were you.

I am sure you will be able to pick it up in the main town of Mukdahan.

Best of luck!

Mick