Splendid New Year So Far

Rasseru

I may well be written off here as a panglossian fool, but I have so far enjoyed the best New Year's festivities and celebrations in ages.

New Year's Eve was spent with my wife and a Japanese friend in the warm and friendly Tusker's, enjoying the food, drink and company, with a special treat provided by none other than Mr. Milton Bentley himself, in the form of one of those hotter-than-air sky lanterns that fill the skies at Loy Krathong. This was a big thrill for our Japanese friend -- well, us too, truth be told -- when she got to release it into the sky and watch it slowly climb away with all her wishes for the new year riding on it. Nice. We did not stick around for the walk to the river with everyone to watch the fireworks, and instead called it an early night, in part because we had big plans for this morning.

With my spirits fortified by Crow Boy's recent assurances that riding three-up on a scooter would get me in no trouble at all in Chiangmai, the three of us headed out this morning for Doi Suthep Temple on my little Yamaha, to the great amusement of the security guards who watched us leave. We did not know whether the temple would even be open, actually, but took a chance on the hunch that it would. What we were going on, really, was our Japanese desire to make the first visit of the new year to a temple, called "hatsu-moude" in Japanese.

Even loaded down with three people, the Yamaha had no trouble making it up Doi Suthep. Shoot, we actually managed to pass a songthaew and a van going up the hill.

And we were absolutely delighted to find the temple not only open, but quite filled with masses of people, mostly Thais and only a tiny handful of farangs here and there. I have never seen the place even a quarter as full as it was today. So we felt right at home; it had just the right atmosphere for hatsu-moude! Bought our flowers and incense and candles and did three (very, very slow) rotations around the central building or statue or whatever before presenting the flowers and lighting and presenting the incense and candles. The atmosphere was lovely. Despite the crowds, or who knows, maybe in part because of them, many people were in great spirits, with lots of smiling and good feeling all around. Great stuff.

I have no idea if there will be a similar scene there tomorrow. If it were Japan, the hatsu-moude atmosphere would continue for another two or three days, but it isn't, so what do I know? Still, it might be worth trying . . .

Glad you had a great evening and a splendid day. :o Would have been great to see you last night, its been a while

I missed everything...was in bed by 10pm last night with a bout of the flu/fever..dunno what it is really, which I am desperatley trying to sweat out before I attempt to go to Hong Kong tomorrow.

The only way is up...and I hope tomorrow is just as good for you Rass as it was today :D

TP

Since TP was down and another friend wiped himself out the night before, I found myself wandering the streets of the Night Bazaar alone. Lucky enough to run into a couple of other 'foreign' friends we managed to have a great time while hiding out from the madness down by the river. I am sorry however that I missed Tuskers that evening as it sounded like a good time indeed.

At midnight however I went up to my 11th floor, north facing apartment at the Night Bazaar Condotel and the view of the fireworks from there was infinitely better than we would ever have experienced at the Riverside Restaurant which was our original plan. And then a couple of us did get to see some of the excitement when the Peak Climbing Wall burned totally to the ground.

Anyway, a positive wish for you and your's for a year ahead that is even better than the last, my fellow expats!

Dustoff/Ken/Wizard

And then a couple of us did get to see some of the excitement when the Peak Climbing Wall burned totally to the ground.

Dustoff/Ken/Wizard

are u serious? how did that happen?

TB

:D Hey Mr. Ken you Dustoff your Wizard! :D That's NOT funny! :o Not a nice NY's celebration for them.

Anyway ... same as TB, how come it burned down? Fireworks?

Nienke

And then a couple of us did get to see some of the excitement when the Peak Climbing Wall burned totally to the ground.

Dustoff/Ken/Wizard

are u serious? how did that happen?

TB

:D Hey Mr. Ken you Dustoff your Wizard! :D That's NOT funny! :o Not a nice NY's celebration for them.

Anyway ... same as TB, how come it burned down? Fireworks?

Nienke

I didn't say I thought it was humorous Nienke but you are certainly welcome to your own interpretation.

A fire investigation team the next afternoon seemed more interested in beer Chang than actually checking the site. Fireworks it could be but at after 5am, there were no fireworks going off any more nor FID's in the air. It went up quickly so likely started at the bottom and there were mats at the base so could have been from something smouldering for a while after most places closed down. And it didn't just catch fire, it is totally gone. Some heat effects to the nearest bars/restaurants but amazingly almost no peripheral damage.

Since it burned so completely, it would be difficult to even establish point of ignition never mind whether it was accidental or intentional. I suspect left over fireworks cinders - twas after all, that time of the year/year.

Since it burned so completely, it would be difficult to even establish point of ignition never mind whether it was accidental or intentional. I suspect left over fireworks cinders - twas after all, that time of the year/year.

It would be an interesting irony, and one that would pull the disparate parts of this thread together, if it turned out that the sky lantern we launched as reported in post one was in fact the FID that started the fire.

It would be an interesting irony, and one that would pull the disparate parts of this thread together, if it turned out that the sky lantern we launched as reported in post one was in fact the FID that started the fire.

the wall looked kind of difficult to climb anyway.

Too bad...I wonder if one of Buckwheat's favorite bars, which is located literally on the backside of the climbing wall, was damaged....?

It was closed the next night because there is some electrical damage but the bar itself is fine. The Friendship bar next door lost some brand new tables and chairs plus an awning. Could have been a lot more damage.

CB