"internet Via Cellphone" -- How Much Does It Cost?

dblaisde

Thanks. I actually haven't bought the phone yet, so I don't have a provider, but your reply gives me an idea. That sounds pretty cheap, actually, and I guess I can use the cell phone to "feed" internet to my laptop via bluetooth.

How do they sell it? As a service listed on your SIM card? (PS. I'm just getting into the whole mobile phone world, don't know <deleted>, though I've got lots of experience with PCs.)

What provider do you use? DTAC and 12call have different plans. I have 12call 20 hours for 100 baht a month --speed is not too bad. Faster than dial up usually.

Quite easy!

Since the N70 is Edge capable (a faster GPRS version) you should find out which provider has Edge capability in the areas you plan to use it.

Both Dtac and AIS have Edge in the big cities, but upcountry it might depend...

With Dtac you can pay 1 Baht/minute or pay every week 250 something Baht for unlimited access.

With AIS you also pay 1 Baht/minute or subscribe to a package, based on how many hours you plan to use in a month. Several packages availble, as mentioned before 20 hours cost 100 Baht, and I think 250 hours only costs 500 Baht.

To subscribe (on the pre-paid simcards) you call the respective call centers, where they will explain the options and you chose one. Just make sure enough credit is on your sim card since the cost will get deducted from your credit.

AIS is 1175 and Dtac is 1678 (I think)

www.gsmarena.com may have better ideas than the N70

Good luck.

I just bought the E51 for 10,500 and love it. It has wi-fi too.

As for the cost of Internet on your phone. IN Thai, it's affordable. my 100 hour/month package is under 400THB (incl'd VAT). I use most of the 100 hours with my laptop via bluetooth and USB, surf from the handset when it's more convenient.

Edited by misterme

I just bought the E51 for 10,500 and love it. It has wi-fi too.

As for the cost of Internet on your phone. IN Thai, it's affordable. my 100 hour/month package is under 400THB (incl'd VAT). I use most of the 100 hours with my laptop via bluetooth and USB, surf from the handset when it's more convenient.

Yes, I just sold my nokia N80 and bought the Nokia E51 (10,200 Baht). The best phone ever!

How do I know that I am using Edge and not ordinary GPRS? I too have the 20 hours for 100 baht with AIS but generally use the free wifi at work and other places.

• 4 weeks later...
With Dtac you can pay 1 Baht/minute or pay every week 250 something Baht for unlimited access.

With AIS you also pay 1 Baht/minute or subscribe to a package, based on how many hours you plan to use in a month. Several packages availble, as mentioned before 20 hours cost 100 Baht, and I think 250 hours only costs 500 Baht.

i looked on both sites, but couldn't find any details about this.

would you kindly provide some links for these packages ? or put me in the right direction :o

tia

HI

I use true, my one is about 800 a month with free internet, also wifi in some places, look @ the website

Probably a good choice in Bangkok, unfortunately where I am, True has reception but no GPRS. Simply no internet connectivity.

This is only about 12 km away from the center of Pattaya!

So do try to find out the coverage first...

I have a SonyErricson W300i with EDGE class 10, and I use DTAC as my provider. As I am on a monthly plan, I pay 399 baht/month for 140 hours of internet. I have EDGE coverage in Bangkok, Chonburi, and Kanchanaburi. At my home near Suvarnabhumi, my speeds are 191 kbps download, and 34 kbps upload. I am very happy with their service, and highly recommend it to others.

DTAC: http://vas.dtac.co.th/Internet_SIM/Internet_SIM.html Unfortunately, it's all in Thai, here's my translation:

Internet SIM

Calling rates: 2 baht/minute, 2 baht/SMS, 5 baht/MMS, GPRS: choose 1 of 4 packages below

99 baht/20 hrs package - pay 99 baht, get 20 hrs, with 0.50 baht/additional minute. Register before 31 Dec 2008, get an extra 40 hrs for the first 3 billing cycles

199 baht/50 hrs package - pay 199, get 50 hrs, with 0.50 baht/additional minute

399 baht/140 hrs package - pay 399, get 140 hrs, with 0.50 baht/additional minute

999 baht/unlimited package - pay 999, get unlimited access

AIS: http://www.gsmadvance.ais.co.th In English, but have to navigate a bit - Online Services -> GPRS

GPRS, NEW price for new subscriber who never apply for GPRS!

You can select a GPRS favorite package that suites you.

* Pay per Use - Service Fee Rate = THB 0.10/KB

* 3 worth GPRS packages*

1st Package - Pay THB 200 for send/receive 3MB of GPRS data

2nd Package - Pay THB 500 for send/receive 10MB of GPRS data

3rd Package - Pay THB 1,500 for send/receive 50MB of GPRS data

* Send/Receive data exceeding than a selected package, THB 0.05/KB

Terms & Conditions :

1. Excluded VAT for all Service Charge

2. This new GPRS packages are available for ONLY customers who never subscribe for GPRS and not holding GPRS promotion on hand.

Edited by siamesekitty

TRUE

GPRS Package: http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/package/sms_mms_gprs.htm

Wi-Fi/GPRS Package: http://www.truemove.com/eng/product/packag...t_wifi_gprs.htm

Pay Per Use (Wi-Fi and dialup): http://www.truemove.com/eng/product_vas_ppu_internet.htm

* pls note that True Customer Service truely sucks!

Edited by siamesekitty

How do I know that I am using Edge and not ordinary GPRS? I too have the 20 hours for 100 baht with AIS but generally use the free wifi at work and other places.

On Nokia phones, you will usually either see an "E" or a "G" symbol when connected. E is Edge, G is GPRS. It will automatically choose Edge where available.

• 5 months later...

Hello,can anybody give an update on this thread?

i have a very basic nokia phone (2 years old,at home & not sure which model or whether its capable :o ).

If i could connect to the internet using this phone with laptop what do i need & how much will it cost me,eg weekly,with Dtac etc,whatever is the cheapest?

If the phone cannot be used what would be my best options considering i'm staying in a beachside resort away from the main towns,with no internet available to the guests?There are other resorts that have True satellite.

I'd like to use my cellphone (Nokia n70) to access the internet. What are some plans, the cost and speed?

I have an EDGE capable phone and I use DTAC fr internet. My plan is 140 hours per month for 399 baht. It's a standard plan and the details are available at any DTAC service counter.

I also use a Nokia E51 and I am happy with it. I use both Dtac and AIS. AIS was my main supplier but for the past few weeks Dtac has been MUCH better. A 100 hour package from either one is about 350 baht. As a matter of fact, AIS right now stinks. I have bought my last 100 hour package from them.

Cheers for the help.So Dtac is the way to go if my phone is capable (yes i'm embaressed to admit i dont know my model number) :o .

Does the connection cable have usb connections on both ends?

With AIS you just dial *139# and the system will tell you how many minutes you still have available.

On your package you'll start out at 3000 minutes.

Also, it's actually 214 Baht as they add 7% as well.

Any minutes left at the end of the month are lost, they do not get carried over.

I've praised my Nokia E51 quite a bit and was having second thoughts yesterday. The Nokia with AIS EDGE was doing strange things and I was beginning to think it may be the phone. The old Samsung with Dtac was working fine. I swapped the SIM cards and my Nokia is fine with Dtac. I have no idea what happened to AIS but it is not usable much of the time. AIS had major problems a month or so ago but then it was corrected. Now it is worse than ever at least for my location.

• 2 years later...