ตามคิวครับ/ค่ะ - dtaam kiw kráp / kâ

These 2 lines mean "in line, please"

Queue Jumpers means พวกลัดคิว, คนที่แซงคิวผู้อื่น

depending on the situation and the place, i would use one of the following

bat queue.......get a number, eg at the bank

khaw queue.....get in line/enter the queue

seng queue......get in the queue, to someone who has gone in front

ya seng queue... dont skip.

as i said depends on the situation and the person you are about to say it to.

good luck.

ต่อแถวด้วยครับ/ค่ะ - dtòr tăew dûay kráp / kâ

ตามคิวครับ/ค่ะ - dtaam kiw kráp / kâ

These 2 lines mean "in line, please"

Queue Jumpers means พวกลัดคิว, คนที่แซงคิวผู้อื่น

Excellent reply Virin, thank you very much.

Is there a short, snappy, common Thai expression to say to someone trying to jump in front of you? Something like 'I was here first' or 'wait your turn' or 'do you mind?' or 'there's a queue here'. Would be helpful in many situations in Thailand.

One day, a well dressed woman cut in front of me in 7-11. I said "Chai queue dai mai?" She actually looked shocked I said something, turned red and went to the back of the line. :o

Is the "kiw" referred to by Virin the same as "queue" by rgs2001uk? Is it pronounced the same as the English word? If so dam queue or seng queue seem a good and easy thing to say and remember.

คิว is a loanword from English 'queue' and pronounced similarly, but not exactly the same (listen to how the final vowels are pronounced when a Thai says them).

ตามคิว dtaam khiw or แซงคิว saeng khiw, if pronounced correctly, will be understood.

ตามคิว dtaam khiw can be back-translated as 'follow the queue' / 'by/according to the queue'.

แซงคิว saeng khiw is more like 'cut in front of the queue'. The same word, แซง 'saeng', with a long vowel is also used to mean 'overtake' in traffic. If you pronounce it เซ็ง 'seng' with a short vowel and more pointed /e/ it means 'tired (as in 'to be sick and tired of something')' so it might come out as if you are 'sick and tired of being in a queue'. :o

If you want to make it clear it is a command and not a statement, you need an imperative particle ด้วย 'duay' (friendlier) or ซิ่ 'si' (a bit more curt) at the end. And to show you have manners, use a polite particle (khrap or kha) at the very end. (At least the first time.)

If you want to speak idiomatic Thai it is important to learn to add the right particles at the end. They function like intonation (rise and fall of voice) in English and other European languages.

Is there a short, snappy, common Thai expression to say to someone trying to jump in front of you? Something like 'I was here first' or 'wait your turn' or 'do you mind?' or 'there's a queue here'. Would be helpful in many situations in Thailand.

One day, a well dressed woman cut in front of me in 7-11. I said "Chai queue dai mai?" She actually looked shocked I said something, turned red and went to the back of the line. :o

I get the same reaction from "Dor queue mai pen leur?"

I just say Dtor queue you kanglang, ka.

At the Post Office, which has a sign in Thai and in English, my husband likes to ask people, "An pasa thai dai mai? Gaeo queue". Sometimes he will use kap, but usually not :o

At the Post Office, which has a sign in Thai and in English, my husband likes to ask people, "An pasa thai dai mai? Gaeo queue". Sometimes he will use kap, but usually not :D

:o

I would love to see a farang say that to a Thai. (I get the impression your husband is Thai SBK).

however

the more correct way to say that is:

อ่านหนังสือไม่ออกหรือ - ahn nung seu mai ork reu

Loose translation - Exactly how it would come accross in English. - Can't you read? - even if you are referring to a sign on the wall.

I said to a group of queue jumpers once "phom ror laew khrap" but they ignored me. I think they didn't speak Thai, but at least I got to say something.

At the Post Office, which has a sign in Thai and in English, my husband likes to ask people, "An pasa thai dai mai? Gaeo queue". Sometimes he will use kap, but usually not :D

I would love to see a farang say that to a Thai. (I get the impression your husband is Thai SBK).

however

Loose translation - Exactly how it would come accross in English. - Can't you read? - even if you are referring to a sign on the wall.

He is indeed, and has little patience for queue jumpers. He said this to a local lady once, tapped her on the shoulder, and then asked her if she knew how to read. :D

One day, a well dressed woman cut in front of me in 7-11. I said "Chai queue dai mai?" She actually looked shocked I said something, turned red and went to the back of the line. :D

I said to a group of queue jumpers once "phom ror laew khrap" but they ignored me. I think they didn't speak Thai, but at least I got to say something.

Might wanna put "yoo" (still/stay) between "ror" and "laew" to show that you're still waiting, rather than had already waited

Even better would be "phom ror yoo gorn na khrap" = I was waiting (and still am) before [you] na khrap.

(Hope you're not offended by my corrections, just wanna help :o)

What do you say? Sometimes words have no effect. This happens to me every week

at the 7-ll and I can tell by the mischievous smiles people know what they're doing.

I realize this is juvenile but I now try and tap them on their far shoulder and when

they look away, place my items ahead of theirs on the counter. Victory is mine! :o

What do you say? Sometimes words have no effect. This happens to me every week

at the 7-ll and I can tell by the mischievous smiles people know what they're doing.

I realize this is juvenile but I now try and tap them on their far shoulder and when

they look away, place my items ahead of theirs on the counter. Victory is mine! :D

I'll try that, thanks. :o

How do you say: "Clear out! I've got a gun, and I'll use it!!!" :D

No speech necessary.

Just pull it out of your pants, taking extra care not to blow your own balls off & fire it into the ceiling.

I am sure that everone present will get a clear and distinct indication of your intenetions. :o

however

He is indeed, and has little patience for queue jumpers. He said this to a local lady once, tapped her on the shoulder, and then asked her if she knew how to read. :D

Good job he's in Thailand. If he said that to An English bird, she'd probably of cracked him one in the chops.

Good job he's in Thailand. If he said that to An English bird, she'd probably of cracked him one in the chops.

Most English women I have met don't jump queues :o

Regardless, not the question of the OP and as soundman points out, probably not the best thing for a foreigner to say to a Thai person. Although I must say, it did give my husband great satisfaction to see the look on her face and watch her slink to the back of the queue. :D

Countless times in Thailand I've been summoned out of lines because I was a foreigner and given special treatment while Thais waited as normal. This has happened at the bank, government offices, civil aviation authorities, driving license, etc. Over all I'm sure I've come out far ahead in the long run, but the few times people have cut in front of me I have gotten riled because like you I suffer from self-centeredness, fortunately there is a cure!