Mae Sai Immigration Is A Bummer

Hi,

I live in Chiang Rai but I want to do my retirement extension in Chiang Mai because the Mae Sai office wants a monthly income of 40k in addition to the 800k in the bank. My Social Security is about 31k a month. Must I use the immigration office in the state I reside? I could just lie and say I live in Chiang Mai but there are those 90 day address checks.

Thanks,

Joe

From info recived from Royal Thai Consulate Non Imm O-A Visa Applicants.

To meet the financial requirements

A lump sum of 800K OR Min 65K per month Income NOT BOTH Or as it changed since May 2007 ?

//Edit: Off-topic. OP talks about apllication for extension of stay at immigration office, not application for non-O-A visa at consulate -- Maestro

Edited by Maestro

From info recived from Royal Thai Consulate Non Imm O-A Visa Applicants.

To meet the financial requirements

A lump sum of 800K OR Min 65K per month Income NOT BOTH Or as it changed since May 2007 ?

No change , but some officers like to come up with there own peculiar requirements.

There is the OA non immigrant visa application you make at the Embassy in your home country that provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival in Thailand. You later use the below extension of stay.

There is the extension of stay stamp that you obtain from Immigration inside Thailand that provides a one year permitted to stay stamp from the end of your current entry (a non immigrant visa) which may have been obtained overseas or as a conversion for 2,000 baht inside Thailand from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry (with 21 days or more remaining).

While not legally required by law, I understand some Immigration officers are asking for some proof of income (on top of the 800K) to show how you are supporting yourself. Third hand stories say this is done on a case by case basis at the discretion of the individual IO.

There is the OA non immigrant visa application you make at the Embassy in your home country that provides a one year permitted to stay stamp on arrival in Thailand. You later use the below extension of stay.

There is the extension of stay stamp that you obtain from Immigration inside Thailand that provides a one year permitted to stay stamp from the end of your current entry (a non immigrant visa) which may have been obtained overseas or as a conversion for 2,000 baht inside Thailand from a tourist visa or visa exempt entry (with 21 days or more remaining).

Lopburi Sir,

You didn't answer the question=Must I use the immigration office in the state I reside?

Joe Joe, I believe there is no written, published rule about this. Not every province has its own immigration office, and it is generally assumed that people would deal with the office in their area. However, I have seen many reports where people bypassed their local office and went to Bangkok for an annual extension. Can’t remember seeing anything about going from Chiangrai to Chiangmai, but this should not stop you from trying.

As for your address report every 90 days, you can send it to the immigration office in Bangkok by registered mail. Send it off in good time to arrive before the due date.

--

Maestro

Joe Joe, I believe there is no written, published rule about this. Not every province has its own immigration office, and it is generally assumed that people would deal with the office in their area. However, I have seen many reports where people bypassed their local office and went to Bangkok for an annual extension. Can’t remember seeing anything about going from Chiangrai to Chiangmai, but this should not stop you from trying.

As for your address report every 90 days, you can send it to the immigration office in Bangkok by registered mail. Send it off in good time to arrive before the due date.

--

Maestro

Maestro, Thanks for this information. It is just what I needed.

Cheers,

Joe