Is It Just Me?

micksterbs

Is it just me or are all Toyota Vigos driven absolutely flat-out? Whenever I'm overtaken by a pickup, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's a Vigo. Hardly ever seems to be a D-Max, Triton etc. Ok, I realise that the Vigo is Thailand's best-selling pickup but even so... It seems that Thai Vigo drivers (possibly expats, too) just seem intent on wringing every last ounce of speed from them. Perhaps it's just a Toyota thing as Fortuners and those Toyota minibuses always seem to be approaching terminal velocity.

I did overtake a Vigo yesterday. Mind you, it was parked...

I must confess to being a Fortuner and Vigo hater, BUT, I just returned to Loei from Jomtien. Both the trip down and the trip back I have to admit to seeing equal numbers of idiots in various brands. As far as trucks I'd say that all were pretty much equally represented. The worst two were a Vigo and a Nissan Navarra. They appeared to be racing each other. I was doing 130 on the ring road toll way and they both passed me like I was standing still. I looked for one or both to be wrecked further up the road but didn't see anything.

Well, I wasn't implying that they're driven any worse than the average; just quicker. Even TW has noticed this. We overtook one yesterday and she said "Broody 'ell, it must be stuck in fourth!"

is your mrs thai,if so she got a great command of english swearing and much more wit than the average thai lady :D ...i think you made that up yourself :o .........anyways arent most of them autos so unlikely to be stuck in fourth! :D:D:D

Well, I wasn't implying that they're driven any worse than the average; just quicker. Even TW has noticed this. We overtook one yesterday and she said "Broody 'ell, it must be stuck in fourth!"

is your mrs thai,if so she got a great command of english swearing and much more wit than the average thai lady :D ...i think you made that up yourself :o .........anyways arent most of them autos so unlikely to be stuck in fourth! :D:D:D

is your mrs thai,if so she got a great command of english swearing and much more wit than the average thai lady :bah: ...i think you made that up yourself :o .........anyways arent most of them autos so unlikely to be stuck in fourth! :D:D:D

Nope, really happened. She learned a lot of English swear-words, profanities etc when I arrived here and started driving. I don't need to say anything now when some drama on the road occurs; she says it for me! Not just on the road either. The other day we were sat outside eating and a large fly flew our way and she pipes-up, "You can bugger off for a start!" She has me in fits sometimes. :D

Funny thread. I overtake only when safe. However, the reason for purchasing the vigo, other than good solid brand, is that I must overtake and show superiority when bikes come at me from the left, cars who cannot stay in their lane when on a curve and when cars stay in the middle of TWO lanes.

And passing bikers with one umbrella in one hand, a mobile in the other and balancing their bikes with their weight. Funny passing them and then they drop their mobile.

But, please, we are not as bad as the BMW crowd!

Is it just me or are all Toyota Vigos driven absolutely flat-out? Whenever I'm overtaken by a pickup, you can bet your bottom dollar that it's a Vigo. Hardly ever seems to be a D-Max, Triton etc. Ok, I realise that the Vigo is Thailand's best-selling pickup but even so... It seems that Thai Vigo drivers (possibly expats, too) just seem intent on wringing every last ounce of speed from them. Perhaps it's just a Toyota thing as Fortuners and those Toyota minibuses always seem to be approaching terminal velocity.

Just your un-analytical perception

Pickups being driven over 130kph is quite common here on the highways. On top of this, many of the drivers try maneuvering those things as if they were go-karts. As for 130kph, I believe our car actually got up to that speed once....while coming down a big hill! :o

is your mrs thai,if so she got a great command of english swearing and much more wit than the average thai lady :bah: ...i think you made that up yourself :o .........anyways arent most of them autos so unlikely to be stuck in fourth! :D:D:D

Nope, really happened. She learned a lot of English swear-words, profanities etc when I arrived here and started driving. I don't need to say anything now when some drama on the road occurs; she says it for me! Not just on the road either. The other day we were sat outside eating and a large fly flew our way and she pipes-up, "You can bugger off for a start!" She has me in fits sometimes. :D

That's what happens when you stop talking baby language to her ... she learn to speak proper English :bah:

Edited by Phil Conners

Do they handle better (i.e. a 'BM pickup?), or are they likely to tip over?

Don't you remember that they are "livsfarlig?"

For a Swede (or rather Swedish magazine) to judge a car as such ("mortally dangerous") is very telling. Enter Thai drivers in the mix and you have super-crazy-livsfarlig....

I took the Triton on a trip to Pai (before the shooting debacle) and agree with GaryA that it's not just the Vigos that are driving like madmen... but for some reason I noticed many Navaras were being driven beyond their safety capabilities... and those things are just huge, even compared to my Triton.

post-55597-1199803844_thumb.jpg

That's what happens when you stop talking baby language to her ... she learn to speak proper English :D

Not me Phil, I'm glad to say. She's an English teacher at the local vocational college. She's a pretty good driver, too. Spooky... :o

Edited by micksterbs

Anyone with a vigo getting fed up with being passed please pm me, i have a unit to give you even more ammunition ! :o

haha i got a triton 4x4 3.2gls and its rather dumb but i have reached 197 in it on a stright to rayong.

just break in the engine, know how to shift and when to drop or upgear keeping it on was tq and ill tell u its quick to.

just today i was going 160 for a good 10mins all the way till the gate. no heating, no weird noises, no rattling. that mind u...i dont recommend taking a tightish bend at the speed thats just plain dumb.

haha i got a triton 4x4 3.2gls and its rather dumb but i have reached 197 in it on a stright to rayong.

just break in the engine, know how to shift and when to drop or upgear keeping it on was tq and ill tell u its quick to.

just today i was going 160 for a good 10mins all the way till the gate. no heating, no weird noises, no rattling. that mind u...i dont recommend taking a tightish bend at the speed thats just plain dumb.

Kind of a separate gripe here, but talking of knowing "how to shift", why does the slightest incline seems to reduce the traffic flow to under 20 KPH? I've been behind brand new Vigo's and D-Max's going up minor hills and virtually had to slam the brakes on to avoid running into the back of them. I'd always assumed that most trucks were auto's but I can only conclude that they are manual transmissions and they are left in third/fourth gear until it practically grinds to a halt!

I was assuming I was turning into the typical grumpy TV member who complains about everything but even the GF has commented on it... Maybe it's just in Phuket? :o

haha i suffer from the same thing.

well to be honest i think its cause those drivers are being extreamly careful which first annoys me, or they are just sooooo jai de....sabai sabai that they dont concider who else is driving and who has to get places to...not to menation just casuing so much traffic because they are crawling.

They're not that big...but with an inter-cooler and a turbo they are shit-of-a-shovel!!

Compared to other vehicles in Thailand they are big.

Take a little time out and measure a pick-up and then check the wieght.

A little extra lenght for the tray is all you'll find.

Width and weight are very little different to a Camry etc

BTW - you may also notice that "most other vehicles in Thailand" are pickups too!

Edited by wilko

I like to go fast. Its fun and keeps the traffic interesting, will i get one today or not???

The Vigos are built for speed... Its a "secret" among the Toyota people when you buy a new one the dealer will tell you to drive like the grim reaper is chasing you.

We will also get a bonus if we crash into something...

I think the Vigo people are driving faster because the car is so comfortable and powerfull. Yes I did have a Triton 3.2GLS Limited last year and it was good, very good, so good I miss it today. But now I am driving my Vigo, it's the small 2.5 G 2WD and it will stop at 160 kph but that is fast enough.

When I go from one town to another or on the highway I do drive as fast as I can, in town I just turn on the emergency lights and dont touch the brakes...

It's a fact that the Vigo is outselling the other brands, hence you can see so many more on the road. Dont be sad, buy a Vigo. :o