Fed Up With Thailand

roego

Just fed up with Thailand.I live in Malaysia and have been going to buy a condo in Thailand, but everytime I turn around they are changing the rules.

And it seems everytime I come to Hua Hin it becomes less friendly to farang.

My Thai lady did not believe that there were different prices but now she negotiates most times.

As for Hat Yai it is no better.

So I suppose I look elsewhere, a shame as I really do like the place.

I did notice in November numbers of tourists were down and if the first week of January is any guide there will be some tough times ahead for Thailand.

Wassup, lost the rose tinted spectacles?

Yes Thailand can be frustrating, niggling and downright rage inducing. It is not for everybody, if you are looking for a place where you'll be treated like some minor deity best advice I can give is look elsewhere or go take a long look in the bathroom mirror.

Best of luck in your hunt for nirvana, drop us a line when you find it we won't hold our breath. :o

Why would anyone want to buy anything in Thailand at this time?

Congratulate yourself on your choice of keeping your condo-money in your pocket; rents are affordable.

Hua Hin is a tiny tourist-trap, I don't really see why people are more enamoured with the place compared to, say, Jomtien.

Look into Phuket. (Phuket PROVINCE not Patong or suchlike, and then rent only, of course.)

Edited by Citra

Wassup, lost the rose tinted spectacles?

Yes Thailand can be frustrating, niggling and downright rage inducing. It is not for everybody, if you are looking for a place where you'll be treated like some minor deity best advice I can give is look elsewhere or go take a long look in the bathroom mirror.

Best of luck in your hunt for nirvana, drop us a line when you find it we won't hold our breath. :D

It is possible. Just be prepared to drop a million a month in Pattaya. :o

Why would anyone want to buy anything in Thailand at this time?

Congratulate yourself on your choice of keeping your condo-money in your pocket; rents are affordable.

Hua Hin is a tiny tourist-trap, I don't really see why people are more enamoured with the place compared to, say, Jomtien.

Look into Phuket. (Phuket PROVINCE not Patong or suchlike, and then rent only, of course.)

Because perhaps maybe Jomtien has zero character and if you think HH is a tiny tourist trap, what is Phuket? Some cracking out-of-the-way beaches n all that but it's still Phuket :o

You've pulled a couple of iffy examples, op - HH and Hat Yai. Not exactly ambassadors of Thai culture, particularly the latter.

Have a long break. Thailand can get right under your skin; we all know that. Personally, the good certainly outweighs the bad but it ain't for everyone. Regards being unfarang-friendly, do you really think the locals want you there in Malaysia... deep down?

Good luck :D

Thanks for the insightful post.

Good luck with the rest of your life.

Bye.

Good to see you back on Thai visa bendix...missed your point of views!

I have been to Malasia several times & yes it is true they do make it easier to purchase land for farangs, but they have their problems too!

3 of my buddies were helping people out of Paddy's bar in Bali when it got bombed. Mike got an armfull of glass in the blast.

You are going to have problems in any country & Indonesia/Malaysia definitely has its share.

Edited by Beardog

Thanks for the insightful post.

Good luck with the rest of your life.

Bye.

Good to see you back on Thai visa bendix...missed your point of views!

I have been to Malasia several times & yes it is true they do make it easier to purchase land for farangs, but they have their problems too!

3 of my buddies were helping people out of Paddy's bar in Bali when it got bombed. Mike got an armfull of glass in the blast.

You are going to have problems in any country & Indonesia/Malaysia definitely has its share.

I know you mention Indonesia retrospectively but, I don't see what the Bali bombings have got to do with living in Malaysia, which has far fewer problems than Indonesia. Malaysia is a much better developed county than Indonesia or indeed, with the exception of Singapore, any of its' SE Asia counterparts.

I'm with the rent only poster. And pay your rent on time!

:o

I am not. But you say you are from "Bangkok, Pattaya" , a good reason to feel insecure perhaps and only want to rent??

Nah, I just want my tenants to continue to pay their rents on time!

:D

Might I just add, Malaysia is still not a bed a roses for foreigners buying a home there too.

Rules change on a whim, affecting those who already made purchases too.

I remember there was this rule, that was suddenly implemented that Foreigners who own/have homes /want to buy houses in Malaysia need to put up a 100,000 ringgit surety for every home?

Then when people got cheesed off and stop buying those homes, they hastily remove that rule? Or is it still there, but to facilitate sales, they merely suppressed it and waiting to spring it again?

And the crime factor, where unlived in homes are regularly broken into, for the TV, Hi fis & whatever valuables in the place? Not to mention, what they cannot carry, they deface. And whoever is unfortunately in that home, they rape & kill?

Might I just add, Malaysia is still not a bed a roses for foreigners buying a home there too.

Rules change on a whim, affecting those who already made purchases too.

I remember there was this rule, that was suddenly implemented that Foreigners who own/have homes /want to buy houses in Malaysia need to put up a 100,000 ringgit surety for every home?

Then when people got cheesed off and stop buying those homes, they hastily remove that rule? Or is it still there, but to facilitate sales, they merely suppressed it and waiting to spring it again?

And the crime factor, where unlived in homes are regularly broken into, for the TV, Hi fis & whatever valuables in the place? Not to mention, what they cannot carry, they deface. And whoever is unfortunately in that home, they rape & kill?

That's a bit over the top !

Naka.

I am not. But you say you are from "Bangkok, Pattaya" , a good reason to feel insecure perhaps and only want to rent??

I wasn't aware that land ownership is allowed elsewhere? Or less insecure, even?

Note that I'm about to actually go settle semi-permanently in Thailand, so I'm of course not fed up with the place. But I am aware what it is, it's not a place to make any commitments or investments in at this time. Last week I watched the Farang Ajarn on Thai TV who teaches English, the funny bald guy, and he was explaining the concept of "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.". I'd avocate not putting any eggs in any Thai basket, but keep your eggs safe in a foreign bank. :o Less chance of breakage.

I wasn't aware that land ownership is allowed elsewhere? Or less insecure, even?

Note that I'm about to actually go settle semi-permanently in Thailand, so I'm of course not fed up with the place. But I am aware what it is, it's not a place to make any commitments or investments in at this time. Last week I watched the Farang Ajarn on Thai TV who teaches English, the funny bald guy, and he was explaining the concept of "Don't put all your eggs in one basket.". I'd avocate not putting any eggs in any Thai basket, but keep your eggs safe in a foreign bank. :o Less chance of breakage.

Board member Heng is Thai & therefore allowed to own property & has the priveledge of the headaches associated with collecting rent from tennents. :D

Board member Heng is Thai & therefore allowed to own property & has the priveledge of the headaches associated with collecting rent from tennents. :D

Thanks for the clarification, board member Soundman.

Thanks for the clarification, board member Soundman.

Has someone turned on the forums Amish filter ?

I'm glad everyone has these misconceptions about Indonesia.

Jakarta is Asia's best kept secret.

The last thing it needs is the mouth-breathing, singlet wearing riff-raff that Thailand attracts.

I'm happy that Thailand isn't some kind of heaven-on-earth that TAT would have you believe. The place would be heaving with bleedin' farangs then. Anyway, I'm glad to report the total absence of the tatoo and singlet crowd up in Isaan.

.....Not to mention, what they cannot carry, they deface. And whoever is unfortunately in that home, they rape & kill?

That's a bit over the top !

Naka.

Nope, I am not playing it up.

Dunno whether Kitty's comments are factually correct or not - but I will say that the reporting of crime in Malaysia by the Singaporean press always gives me the impression of being very exaggerated - what the Brits would call 'tabloid style' - this particularly applies to goings on in Johor, which neighbours Singapore - it's hardly a secret that relations between the two countries are somewhat prickly at the best of times.

Just a thought...

CC

EDIT: Oh, and for the first time ever I actually agree with Tuddy on something - Jakarta is a secret worth exploring, but be a little mindful of your surroundings/behaviour, as you would be in most major cities, except, it seems, for westerners in certain Thai cities...

Edited by Captain Chaos

I'm glad everyone has these misconceptions about Indonesia.

Jakarta is Asia's best kept secret.

The last thing it needs is the mouth-breathing, singlet wearing riff-raff that Thailand attracts.

Agreed, Jakarta is a great place, other than the traffic which IMO is worse than BKK.