Whats Your Favorite Chick Flick?

sbk

What do you put on when you want to get weepy? Do you have a favorite chick flick?

I can't say that I have a favorite, but I do like Chocolat. Great story and Johnny Depp, what more can you ask for? I loved Thelma & Louise, now that is a great chick flick-- two gorgeous women on the road with a young Brad Pitt :o

Bend it like Beckham was cute and I am a big fan of Jane Austen so I loved Sense and Sensibility with Emma Thompson.

Whats yours? and why?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ever after is a good one & 50 first dates too. If I am feeling nostalgic then Breakfast Club & Heathers.

Really mushy chick flik is Dirty Dancing & Ghost but tbh if I am needing a really big boost I just watch a Keanu Reeves movie, preferably Speed or Point Break, Mr Reeves is in both, in incredibly good shape & that is enough to perk any girl up :o

Gross point blank is another one that is a romance but with a quirky twist.

There is a new one coming out which is supposed to be really good, called P.S. I love you, about a women who's husband dies but he leaves her a letter a month with tasks to do to help her get over losing him. A real funny weepy by all accounts.

Well, I love film, so you know I have a list of chick flicks - you guys - and I'm very PICKY. :o I define a chick flick as a female-character driven story, or one with strong, unique and authentically depicted female characters; they don't all have to be the lead. Some are feel good, but some are also very dark and also violent, depending on the story, so I go for interesting rather than "feel good," cloyingly sweet.

My list - SBK, we have similar tastes for some it seems): Not necessarily in order, but close -

Thelma and Louise (top-of-all time classic chick road film)

Orlando (surreal, intelligent spoof on English time-period films and gender roles; fantastic)

Sin City (ok, not exactly a chic film but great, strong chicks in it; it is violent since it deals with the underworld)

Harold and Maude (cult classic of elderly older woman with really, really young, misfit guy; incredibly sweet, though and not really sexual)

Antonia's Line (great film about a line of interesting, mutli-generational family of women)

Manny and Lo (a young Scarlett Johansson, about two sisters that run away from foster care and take care of each other)

Breakfast at Tiffanys (She was partying and having a great time! Who doesn't love a young Audrey Hepburn? I like the other one also where she is a young poetess in a book store).

Chocolat (as much for Johnny Depp as Juliet Binoche - she bags him though! - and she's an original!)

Holy shit - how could I almost forget -- Romeo is Bleeding (Lena Olin is the most wickedly evil, dark, powerful, and terrifyingly female villain-ganster-seductress you will ever lay eyes on, so watch and see how it is done!) But, this movie is about serious criminals, so it is violent.

There are tons more European flicks that I can't think of the names of right now. I will continue later.

** Additions:

So Close (for you guys in Asia - a bit of fluff but fun story about young, female, Chinese assassins who are seeking revenge on the murder of their family. Karen Mok also plays a brilliant female detective; lots of fun.)

Kill Bill (powerful, controversial, and violent, but I'm going to see it again to make up my mind.

Cold Mountain (beautiful classic love story about the American Civil War, strong female characters all throughout).

Close to You (about relationships and class, just as much about men as women; Natalie Portman and Clive Ownens are my favorite; get past the beginning and it gets good).

And just for the sheer indulgence to gape at a gorgeous man: Troy (with Bradd Pitt; I'm not even a fan, but god is he a gorgeous hunk of a man in that film)

Edited by kat

One other I just remembered for Johnny Depp fans:

Arizona Dreams with Faye Dunaway as a love interest, directed by Emir Kusturica (sp). Little known in the states, but brilliantly wacky and funny.

kat, Harold and Maude! I'd forgotten about that one. What a great movie. My absolute favorite as a teenager

Yeah, it's one of my all time favs. I think we have the same movie tastes. I was thinking it might be fun to start a "movie club" where we look at the same film and discuss it. If you want, I can try to download and send you stuff, SBK (if it's possible, which I think it might be).

I'm in the mood to watch Romeo is Bleeding again, with Lena Olin and Gary Oldman. It's a dark, intense, rich psychodrama about a corrupt cop and the most charismatic, evil, terrifying and beautiful female villain ever depicted on the screen, in my opinion. There is some violence; it's not a warm and cuddly movie. Anyone want to watch it with me?

I've pasted a couple of links from You Tube; watch them in order (although the second link is intermixed after the middle):

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...p;search=Search

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iNM9z0U5Pc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--gEJxKEBJ8

i like harold and maude but wouldn't consider it a chick flick really. not usually into chick flicks myself- the only one i can think of i liked is romeo and juliet with leonardo dicaprio. when i was a kid i liked dirty dancing, pretty woman, and say anything.

What do you put on when you want to get weepy? Do you have a favorite chick flick?

Hi,

I don't want to get weepy and I have not wept while watching any of the films mentioned here (well, came close with "harold and maude" and "easy rider"). If you want to really do that to yourself there is only one film that is so sad, so cruel that it makes you not only weep but cry (I hate to admit it did it to me) and to shed litres of tears, then go and get "The grave of the fireflies". It is an animated film from Ghibli, very renowned for making unusual films. Try it. Get somebody to cuddle first; this film is unbearable to be watched while alone.

Chick flicks aren't my fav genre, but there's a couple I'm a sucker for:

- 1968 version of Romeo and Juliet -- Strangely saw this at convent school - nuns made us watch it for British Lit! There was a nice rear view of Romeo (Leonard Whiting) ...I still wonder what those nuns were thinking....I have the sound track "What is a Youth" so haunting

- Pretty Woman -- "Even though we've seen Pretty Woman, like, 36 times, I never get tired of making fun of it." - Michele in "Romy and Michele's High School Reunion" - another classic chick flick

Actually, I admit: Pretty Woman probably is my all time fav chick flick : )

Edited by Misty

If strong women & weepy factor is the real definition & of you wan tot make yourselve sob then the colour purple is the all time number one. A real women overcoming adversity movie. Everyone should own a copy.

If strong women & weepy factor is the real definition & of you wan tot make yourselve sob then the colour purple is the all time number one.

Did not make me cry. Still loved it, it is a very good film. And I love Whoopie Goldberg..

Surprised by some of the "chick flicks".. So a clarification if you please. Is a "chick flick" a movie that features women in strong roles or a weepy, excruciating to watch movie (my understanding).

Mmmm, seems to mean different things to different people. I thought it was movies you'd go out with the girls to see. I.e., DH not interested. But that doesn't explain BritMaveric....

Another one: Two Moon Junction. Not the weepy kind, but DH won't watch it (thinks its "soft pawn" for women)

Brit, I think, is a special case :o but yeah, I agree, it can be a romantic comedy, it can be something like Thelma & Louise, but usually its the kind of movie most guys don't want to watch; no killing (or not much, gotta remember thelma & louise!) no gratuitous violence etc. Kind of the anti-Terminator.

If strong women & weepy factor is the real definition & of you wan tot make yourselve sob then the colour purple is the all time number one. A real women overcoming adversity movie. Everyone should own a copy.

That was a very very good movie Boo. We never thought of it as a "chick flick", but a "Spielberg flick". Here's a "chick flick" I still bear the scars from being dragged to: "Mona Lisa Smiles".

Edited by lannarebirth

kat, I severely doubt Sin City is a chick flick, but it's one of my favorite movies too. I love the style and the neo-noir themes. If you liked sin city, have you seen Brick?

Cold Mountain was good but I got distracted every time the actors would switch off/on their accents

I'm not really a chick flick viewer, but I actually liked the Notebook.