Air Con Bus, Cold As hel_l

aehn

Went to visit my relative in Chiang Mai for the first time. Went by air con bus, although i had heard several ppl mentioned that the buses were very cold, i did not think about it that much. But when i traveled myself i got reminded of it.

I asked my relative too, who sometimes travel by bus from BAngkok to Chaing Mai, and she told me the same thing, that the buses are cold as hel_l.

My question is out of curiosity, why are they so dam_n cold? It does not make any sense at all. Why not use the air con with a normal set temperature?

Also another spontanius question, how does ppl travel around the city (Chiang Mai) without owning a car or a motorbike?

To me it seems like a big deal to take a spontanius trip somewhere in the city, is it even possible? Yeah, someone mentioned tuk tuks and song taews, however, i saw them very rarely.

"Cold as he-ll" ? I always got the impression, that the ambient temperature was somewhat warmer than that, must remember to pack my skis & woolly-underwear, if I ever head that way !

I've always perceived the frigid conditions, encountered on VIP-buses, as being to justify their value-for-money ? And there are plenty of song-thaews & tuk-tuks here in Chiang Mai, also a very basic public-omnibus service, and the new monorail is now running up at the zoo. But it only pandas to the tourists. :o

I went to Kanchanaburi a few years back on a day trip from Bangkok. On the way back, it was pouring down and the Air was on full, it was absolutely freezing. The driver in the front cab seemed nice and warm with his overcoat on, and i think he had the heater on. Lucky him.

They are frigid, this is an attempt to recreate a "hibernation cycle" which some mammals

used to endure a period of forced stagnation. Pity on those who forget their jacket, that

little blanket they give you is more like a neck-scarf. Downright chilly it can be. :o

Went to visit my relative in Chiang Mai for the first time. Went by air con bus, although i had heard several ppl mentioned that the buses were very cold, i did not think about it that much. But when i traveled myself i got reminded of it. Also another spontanius question, how does ppl travel around the city (Chiang Mai) without owning a car or a motorbike? To me it seems like a big deal to take a spontanius trip somewhere in the city, is it even possible? Yeah, someone mentioned tuk tuks and song taews, however, i saw them very rarely.

Songthaews are all over the place on any main road. They cost 15 baht. It helps if you know where you're going. Tuk tuks are far more expensive. Meter taxis, aren't metered taxis. Fortunately the red songthaews are absolutely everywhere. And they aren't cold. Well, not during the day anyway.

I once made the trip in January, it was so cold on the bus that condensation was forming on the outside side of the windows. It was like it was raining on our bus only. I wondered if I might not survive that trip. Other times it has been cold, but not quite that extreme.

I don't know why the Thais passengers don't seem to complain. There is no way they are enjoying that.

As to the windows fogging up, the passengers are in seperate section, so it would not matter if they did fog up, and the fog issue would be easily solved by a simple vent air exchange system used occasionally. It might even bring some life giving heat to the passengers.

Those bus trips are a big part of the reason I got a car.

Most of the people answering your post have not traveled by bus.

The question you are asking I am yet to get an answer to.

I have frooze my butt off from Hua Hin to chaing Mai and back, and from Bangkok and Back.

I asked my Thai girlfriend to ask the bus driver why so cold she was afraid to ask.

The non confrontational thing.

Last time returning from Hua hin I almost broke out a window I was so cold.

A warm monking house seemed good to me.

I looked at everyone about every 10 minutes they checked the ac vents to make sure they were closed as tight as they could get them.

I had three blankets and at times used my breath to generate heat.

If there was one person on that bus that was down to one shirt and had the ac fully open I could understand instead all the blankets were used.

Ok I will do my best to explain to you. After scheduling all my bus trips during the heat of the day here is the best explanations I can come up with.

1) You paid for an Airconditioned bus we are going to give it to you.

2) The airconditioners have no thermostat

3) if you shut the airconditioners down they will freeze and will not start again

4) Thai people like it this cold

5) people who are cold move less creating less havock

6) it is either on or off.

7) have no idea what you are talking about.

Pick one or add to this list I am from a climate that is 20 degrees as we speak and it is still to cold for me on these buses.

Solve this problem and you are a hero.

When travelling from Nong Khai back to Bangkok 2 months ago, I also had the same experience.

Air-con way too cold. Caught the cold, runny noses the lot (not sure if directly from the bus ride), ended up having hot-cold-hot-cold-hot-cold temp fluctuations for awhile.

Kind of them to give a blanket for the journey. Might help if they just put the air-con on a more room-temp setting.

Credit for their hospitality tho.

"1) You paid for an Airconditioned bus we are going to give it to you.

2) The airconditioners have no thermostat

3) if you shut the airconditioners down they will freeze and will not start again

4) Thai people like it this cold

5) people who are cold move less creating less havock

6) it is either on or off.

7) have no idea what you are talking about"

I can't possibly pick just one. They all were quite humerous to read. My best are 1, 5 and 6.

Although, I was slightly lucky. I took the 2 blankets that were left in the seats in front of me. Mind you, did'nt do much as I was still coooooold.

Anything to be glad about? Yeah, the amount of fat I put on since I came to Thailand. Without which, I would have frozen my ass off.

This past weekend, the overnight VIP bus going to BKK from CMai wasn't noticeably cold, but I kept my clothes on and used the blanket. The return trip was much colder, and the air/con vents were blowing frigid. I closed the vents, and survived. Mexico is the same way; the hallmark of overpaying for a bus trip is to freeze you solid. But the seats lean almost all the way back unless you're on the back row; the stewardess gives you a box lunch and a bottle of water; the toilet works; and they give you a meal coupon for the meal stop (if you like shitty Thai food). And, the seats are wide enough for overeating farang.

My question is out of curiosity, why are they so dam_n cold? It does not make any sense at all. Why not use the air con with a normal set temperature?

please define "normal" in ºC or ºF :o

Look what postmodernism did to sience, i guess we will have to live with it though...

Better than hot as he||.

At least when it's cold you can put on a blanket. Not a lot you can do when it's hot.

strip naked and dance? :o

I get the naked business but dancing will just make you hotter.

it is totally dependent on your dancing skills :D