Hotel Recomendations, Taipei, Taiwan

TAWP

Hi.

Planning to go to Taipei, Taiwan, a the end of this January to visit the Taipei Game Show 2008 ( http://tgs.tca.org.tw/ ). As I'm not there to live like a king and their advertised hotels, http://tgs.tca.org.tw/visitor_7e.htm , seem to be a little steep in prices and that is not really needed. I know there are several cheaper/more reasonable ones out there, but they often don't have websites.

So any recommendations and info is welcome!

Anyone else going btw?

Thanks jingjoe.

However I suspect it might be a little more extravagant than needed. I usually stay at the Malaysian when going to Malaysia at around 1.1K baht per night and I'm comfortable with that. Is this of much better class or just price?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi.

Took some pictures of the place. Might add it here if really needed, but what I can say is it's a fairly nice hotel, took room for one person but the bed fit two without a problem and had two pillows. TV got some 108 channels, remote access to lights, tv and music by the bed in addition to normal tv remote, roomy bathroom with curved bathtub for nice baths, fridge with drinks, computer with internet access in a small lunch room that can be used for free.

The staff was friendly and very accommodating to all my weird requests, no-matter the hours. Ticking in at some 2.1K per night for a single (probably defined as one person in a double room), depending on exchange rate.

Would recommend it to anyone that isn't looking for unneeded luxury on their travel but decent quality, well above the guest house style in for example Thailand.

Edited by TAWP

http://www.agoda.com/asia/taiwan/taipei/shang_hao_hotel.html

try this agent, usually a little bit cheaper.

Hi.

Did a booking-test for price-comperasion:

Standard Room

(Single)

Breakfast Included THB 3,676 2,123

Seems that the 'normal' price the site mentions is a fantasy number since from what I remember the rate for the room, at walk-in, is 1800 Taiwan Dollar, giving around 2.1K. Which the travfel-company above gave too.

But this is only the site doing some 'funny biz', not the hotel.

But it could be worth nothing when looking at the 'non-discounted' vs 'discounted' price they show on the site there...

Standard Room

(Single)

Breakfast Included THB 3,676 2,123

Seems that the 'normal' price the site mentions is a fantasy number since from what I remember the rate for the room, at walk-in, is 1800 Taiwan Dollar, giving around 2.1K. Which the travfel-company above gave too.

But this is only the site doing some 'funny biz', not the hotel.

But it could be worth nothing when looking at the 'non-discounted' vs 'discounted' price they show on the site there...

4 night

Asiarooms US$292

Agoda US$269

Is it right?

I usually book hotel in Hong Kong with this agent.

But have not use them for Taiwan.

Edited by Kwong

I didn't book via asiarooms.

I booked via the air travel site I usually buy flights from. (travelstart.se - in Swedish but they have all flights all other agents have anyway.)

After choosing a flight you can select hotel room, car rental and other things, as on other sites.