Oh Dear Best School Again

rambler

my son attends assumption school in sriracha,its excellent with good english speaking teachers,give it a try.

I agree that Assumption at Sri Racha is a very good school. Could you give me some details of the application process and fees - I've heard differing accounts. Thanks.

I would also like info on Assumption School in Sriracha.

Barry

We did look at Assumption school in Sri Racha before we decided on RESPS in Ban Chang (which we have not regretted for one minute) and it did look very nice with huge space and good sports facilities (even a small stadium I seem to remember) but they were not very keen on enrolling new farang students and it is for boys only which I find very off putting in this day and age. As we have a boy and a girl it was not practical for us and I do not agree with all boys schools so that ruled this school out for us.

It is a Catholic school of course and you should be a practicing Catholic family to attend this school although I doubt they enforce this rule, also you need to have proof your child has been baptized (certificate of baptism) according to the rules for enrolment but as we did not enrole our children I am not sure if they enforce this rule.

If I remember correctly the cost was 40,000 THB per term and there were 3 terms the same as BEST.

my son attends assumption school in sriracha,its excellent with good english speaking teachers,give it a try.

I agree that Assumption at Sri Racha is a very good school. Could you give me some details of the application process and fees - I've heard differing accounts. Thanks.

or... give a read first to...

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...c=77279&st=

Assumption College Or Alternatives

Edited by sriracha john

I would also like info on Assumption School in Sriracha.

Barry

We did look at Assumption school in Sri Racha before we decided on RESPS in Ban Chang (which we have not regretted for one minute) and it did look very nice with huge space and good sports facilities (even a small stadium I seem to remember) but they were not very keen on enrolling new farang students and it is for boys only which I find very off putting in this day and age. As we have a boy and a girl it was not practical for us and I do not agree with all boys schools so that ruled this school out for us.

It is a Catholic school of course and you should be a practicing Catholic family to attend this school although I doubt they enforce this rule, also you need to have proof your child has been baptized (certificate of baptism) according to the rules for enrolment but as we did not enrole our children I am not sure if they enforce this rule.

If I remember correctly the cost was 40,000 THB per term and there were 3 terms the same as BEST.

Assumption has an enrollment in the thousands... a handful of whom are Catholic....

Admission criteria there is pretty much based solely on ability to pay...

I agree with much of what sriracha john says in this thread and in the linked thread he supplied.

The fees are less than indicated by EmCross.

2 x about 15,000 Baht per year but extra fees for special English programs.

When you enroll a student at ACS you are asked "How much are you prepared to help the school?" Your response to this question will determin the success of the application. ($$$)

My son has been at ACS for some years and so far I'm happy with his progress.

Thanks for the info and link regarding Assumption in Sri Racha.

Also, relating to the OP, I was speaking to the BEST teacher who is leaving yesterday. He always seemed one of the 'good guys' and my youngest thinks the world of him. He always tried to be very helpful and when my son was struggling with something at the beginning of the term he was very professional and attentive. He told me that he would probably end up back in Taiwan where he was teaching before. He did tell me about his new job in Pattaya but doubts it will be a long term thing. He was discouraged by the management of the school having been promised 'x' amount to sign a contract he then had his hours cut so that what was already a poor salary became a joke. When I read ramblers OP I guessed which teacher he was referring to and I was sincerely hoping I had got it wrong.

As far as P3 is concerned, my eldest is in P3 and in some subjects he seems to do more work at home than he does in the classroom. It seems that a couple of the teachers think that telling the children to do pages 100 - 120 while they sit and look out the window is actually teaching. I would call it something else.

What has happened now with P3 is that for some reason..........the powers that be have decided to do away with the traditional and proven concept of Homeroom Teacher. For some readers of TV who may not be aware what this is...........its a teacher that covers the core subjects. English, Math, Science.

The benefit of a Homeroom Teacher for P3.The children have daily stability. They know the teachers rules, what is expected of them and what they can and cannot do. The teacher is more aware of students individual needs because they are familiar with that child.

What happens now is that the children have 4-5 different teachers all teaching a different single subject.

Different teachers will have different teaching styles, discipline rules, homework rules, what is acceptable and what is not. This confuses them. IMO.

I teach math now. The same lesson...4-5 times a day to 125 children in P3

Its not ideal IMHO.

Edited by stevemiddie

What has happened now with P3 is that for some reason..........the powers that be have decided to do away with the traditional and proven concept of Homeroom Teacher. For some readers of TV who may not be aware what this is...........its a teacher that covers the core subjects. English, Math, Science.

The benefit of a Homeroom Teacher for P3.The children have daily stability. They know the teachers rules, what is expected of them and what they can and cannot do. The teacher is more aware of students individual needs because they are familiar with that child.

What happens now is that the children have 4-5 different teachers all teaching a different single subject.

Different teachers will have different teaching styles, discipline rules, homework rules, what is acceptable and what is not. This confuses them. IMO.

I teach math now. The same lesson...4-5 times a day to 125 children in P3

Its not ideal IMHO.

P3 had Homeroom Teachers. Now they don,t. Whats untrue about that?

I was providing some information. The UK, the USA, many European countries and indeed the majority of schools in Thailand have Homeroom Teachers for this age group. B.E.S.T have decided otherwise for reasons not known to us.

An ENS teaches English.....all day everyday. I teach Math. A non NES teaches science to them. Another non ENS teaches computer. Not quite sure how you arrive at the statement that it is not true.

The teachers now teach the same lesson to P3 A, B, C, D often all in the same day. Same lesson repeated. Hence the 125 children.

If you want to believe that P3 still have Homeroom Teachers then I guess that is up to you.

Edited by Pattaya_Fox

Therefore you must be a (Native English Speaker) :o .

Yes of course I am an ENS.

Please read the earlier posts. We don,t know why the powers that be have decided to do away with Homeroom Teachers for P3.

By the way, why shouldn,t an ENS teach English Math? Maths? Mathematics. Minor point on a forum to be honest. And the word " MATH " is widely accepted. Both terms can be used. :D Widely used in the USA, UK and most English speaking countries. Not just Australia. :D

On the whiteboard I actually write " Mathematics "

This is a forum..........not a demonstration on PERFECT grammar. You ever miss a comma when posting? Sure.......because its not about grammar or being picky AND incorrect. Like you are.

I may miss some because I type fast. ( Or try too )

I took the liberty of highlighting and underlining your mistakes. :bah: Note:- Comma or a full stop would be nice after Australia. :D

Please use a space after the full stop. :D

When abbreviating please try to use the correct spelling of " You are ". :bah:

Edited by Pattaya_Fox

I have just read through this and would like to make a couple of points: I know several teachers in Thailand who are fully qualified with PGCE's, yet alone TEFL certificates. They are on massive salaries of between 80,000 and 120,000 baht a month compared to normal language school and bi-lingual salaries of around 25,000 to 35,000 baht a month. They have all the right pieces of paper, yet, they have no interest in Thailand at all, other than to enjoy a working holiday for a couple of years. They have no interest in the culture, language or people - other than normal tourist attractions. But they are heavy drinkers and whore mongers. This is what they enjoy about Thailand. To them, teaching here is just a means to an end and a working holiday. On the other hand, I also know some 'unqualified teachers' who are wholly committed to Thailand, it's people and culture - largely because they have Thai wives and families. They are also very good teachers, they are eager to learn and they take the very job seriously.

The point is, there is not always a correlation between qualifications and being a good teacher, neither is there a correlation between qualifications and being committed to teaching in Thailand.

Thorough police checks are essential for obvious reasons. But with regards to qualifications, I think that teaching and committment should be based on merit and observation both in and outside the classroom - on a trial basis over a period of time, rather than by producing the correct pieces of paper. Teachers should be employed on this common sense basis. (Obviously if teachers were not up to the task, or if they abused their position, then they would have to be removed.)

It is a great pity - the situation at Best school. If teachers are to perform in and around a classroom then an atmosphere and environment has to be created that is supportive to the teachers. Owners of schools do need to understand that one of the most important aspects of a childs learning (with a good teacher) is consistency. A high turnover of staff just creates disruption to this learning and breaks the raport that is built up with the teacher, which is psychologically damaging. why can't owners understand that retaining good teachers will attract more new students in the long run? It's the best marketing tool. As far as the staff are concerned, a high staff turnover gives the message of uncertainty, stress, lack of confidence in the school and a poor working environment. If good staff are to be retained then a pleasant working environment is essential. A sensible pay structure also needs to be implemented. It doesn't have to be an outragious impossible pay structure - just sensible. Otherwise, good teaching staff will always be searching for another job with more security and better environment.

The situation at Best is one we have heard over and over again. It is not new to those of us who have been here for some time. I just wish that some of the school owners would read some of these threads.

There is a lot of exaggeration on here. The children do not get free time except on a Friday afternoon. That is normally in the form of a game ( using English )

The last week I often had children around my desk. And yes, they were excited. I was giving them their exam results. Of course they are exciteable. They are 9-10 year olds.

Do the children also say that on most days I give out " lines" as punishment when they are a bit disruptive when we are supposed to be learning? That continual misbehaviour then results in being made to run around the basketball court?

I don,t accept bad behaviour and never have done. Comparing a bunch of exciteable children being given their exam results is not the same as a Millwall / Leeds soccer mob.

As in ALL Thai schools............some Thai teachers are supportive of foreign teachers..........some are not and wish to see them fail. No furthur comment on that matter.

As for Math. We are on schedule with the term plan and up to date in the course books and that is progressing nicely. Some children have gone furthur and have completed the books. I now give them more advanced math to keep them occcupied. Hard to see how this can be when all we are supposed to be doing is " having free time "

Edited by stevemiddie

As for Math. We are on schedule with the term plan and up to date in the course books and that is progressing nicely. Some children have gone furthur and have completed the books. I now give them more advanced math to keep them occcupied. Hard to see how this can be when all we are supposed to be doing is " having free time "

You should ask yourself this. If i give my children free time all the time then quite obviously I would not care about what I do.........right? So why do i defend the school so often?

What I say now will probably get me shot...........but the hel_l with it.

I also teach Social Studies. The course book they have is often, in my opinion, not relevant to them. Pages on the " Island of Mull" Fantastic. Pages on the Brighton seaside 50 years ago. Wonderful. Pages on Blackpool. Terrific. The most common shrubs in HONG KONG. I mean................HONG KONG? I skipped that. So there you go. I,m guilty of being a bad teacher.

Did I give them free time instead? No.

They are being taught the difference between a country and a continent. They can tell you what are the by-products of oil. Which countries are the biggest oil producers. WHY is oil important? What happens when the oil runs out?

Why are the ice caps melting? Why is recycling important? What does recycling mean to Thailand? Name the countries in Europe. Name the countries in Asia and Africa.

What does Thailand manufacture? What shrubs, trees, bushes and animals are common to THAILAND.

Why do many people wear face masks in Bangkok. ( they knew that one ) What can we do to make the air cleaner?

Those are NOT in the current course book. Some parts of the book are relevant of course and they are taught those. Opticians, eyesight, planes and boats and cars for travel. Microscopes.

Typical homework they are given is the name of a country. They have to research its population, capitol city, what does it manufacture. How far from Thailand? Etc etc etc.

So ok. If anyone objects to that then fine. I,ll teach them the importance of the Island of Mull. And how great Brighton UK was many moons ago. And just why it is SO important to learn by rote, the names of shrubs in Hong Kong.

Or we could just have free time. Right?

PS............for the poster who complains about a comma and an apostrophe. Yes, I do know the difference. But the apostrophe key does not work on my 3 year old lapop. Never has.

Off topic posts, posts containing flaming remarks, conjecture and personal attacks have been removed.

The forum rules state quite clearly that these types of posts are not allowed.

Please post replies which are pertinent to the forum topic and not posts which contain conjecture and disrespect for fellow forum members.

If the thread goes out of line again then it will be closed.

Thank you.

You should ask yourself this. If i give my children free time all the time then quite obviously I would not care about what I do.........right? So why do i defend the school so often?

I also teach Social Studies. The course book they have is often, in my opinion, not relevant to them. Pages on the " Island of Mull" Fantastic. Pages on the Brighton seaside 50 years ago. Wonderful. Pages on Blackpool. Terrific. The most common shrubs in HONG KONG. I mean................HONG KONG? I skipped that. So there you go. I,m guilty of being a bad teacher.

They are being taught the difference between a country and a continent. They can tell you what are the by-products of oil. Which countries are the biggest oil producers. WHY is oil important? What happens when the oil runs out?

Why are the ice caps melting? Why is recycling important? What does recycling mean to Thailand? Name the countries in Europe. Name the countries in Asia and Africa.

What does Thailand manufacture? What shrubs, trees, bushes and animals are common to THAILAND.

Why do many people wear face masks in Bangkok. ( they knew that one ) What can we do to make the air cleaner?

Those are NOT in the current course book. Some parts of the book are relevant of course and they are taught those. Opticians, eyesight, planes and boats and cars for travel. Microscopes.

Typical homework they are given is the name of a country. They have to research its population, capitol city, what does it manufacture. How far from Thailand? Etc etc etc.

So ok. If anyone objects to that then fine. I,ll teach them the importance of the Island of Mull. And how great Brighton UK was many moons ago. And just why it is SO important to learn by rote, the names of shrubs in Hong Kong.

PS............for the poster who complains about a comma and an apostrophe. Yes, I do know the difference. But the apostrophe key does not work on my 3 year old lapop. Never has.

I am that poster that complains about an apostrophe or a coma as I am not an ENS teacher claiming a teachers salary that only works part time(i.e.Mondays off)but I am reading this post as a future parent living in Pattaya and as any parent wants the (BEST) that they can afford for their offspring ,especially after having brought up two children and now in the position to do it all over again.And now you mention you're other teaching duties,well I can only gather they are the studies you make down walking street every other night into the early hours of the morning. I would have thought any good teacher worth his or her salt would be sleeping by 3/4am as going by your posting's you are an early bird.You may correct me as to what social stidies actually are as I remember it was the easiest of the degree options that were offered on OU to which i am in my 3rd year,but then again there are people who can manage with a few hours sleep,a perfect example would be the one and only Maggie Thatcher who managed on 2 to 4 hours a night,but then again she was not drinking alcohol to the early hours,and yes you're time is you're own to do what you want but i believe a professional would not conduct themselves like you.It's a pity gambling is illegal in Thailand as i would like to open a book that you are out at the end of you're contract. And to let you know i am not a teacher. Although I think every parent is a teacher in there own wright only some are better than others.So teacher you can correct my grammar ,feel free as i believe this post to be able to express opinions and views. And student to teacher how do you spell laptop ,but then the Americanians say notebook, whats your excuse ?

I am that poster that complains about an apostrophe or a coma as I am not an ENS teacher claiming a teachers salary that only works part time(i.e.Mondays off)but I am reading this post as a future parent living in Pattaya and as any parent wants the (BEST) that they can afford for their offspring ,especially after having brought up two children and now in the position to do it all over again.And now you mention you're other teaching duties,well I can only gather they are the studies you make down walking street every other night into the early hours of the morning. I would have thought any good teacher worth his or her salt would be sleeping by 3/4am as going by your posting's you are an early bird.You may correct me as to what social stidies actually are as I remember it was the easiest of the degree options that were offered on OU to which i am in my 3rd year,but then again there are people who can manage with a few hours sleep,a perfect example would be the one and only Maggie Thatcher who managed on 2 to 4 hours a night,but then again she was not drinking alcohol to the early hours,and yes you're time is you're own to do what you want but i believe a professional would not conduct themselves like you.It's a pity gambling is illegal in Thailand as i would like to open a book that you are out at the end of you're contract. And to let you know i am not a teacher. Although I think every parent is a teacher in there own wright only some are better than others.So teacher you can correct my grammar ,feel free as i believe this post to be able to express opinions and views. And student to teacher how do you spell laptop ,but then the Americanians say notebook, whats your excuse ?

Mmmmmmmm. Social Studies is not my degree. That would be Economics. I was given the task of teaching Social Studies as well. Not my decision but we live with it. I guess you made a wrong assumption huh?

Walking Street? :o I can,t remember the last time I went. Awake late at night? Sure............I like to talk via webcam to my children who are in the UK. Thats 7 hours behind in case you didn,t know? As I recall from your earlier post, you were the one too pissed the other night to respond. I drink? Sure. Every FRIDAY night. I don,t work on Saturdays. :D

I,ve managed on a few hours sleep every night for years. There is a problem with that?

I don,t work Mondays? Oh right........I guess you know that for a fact.

Correct your grammar? Oh I,m sorry............I thought it was YOU that started that ball rolling. Silly me.

And no..........I still can,t do apostrophe,s because the key doesn,t work. :D

Some posters on here have their own agenda........and its always the same.

I try to give a reasoned response and in return I receive vitriolic personal attacks. Mostly based on rumour, misinformation and waffle. Hence why the mod has deleted some posts. Some posters are VERY angry at the school. Fair enough. To attack a poster who defends the school against some comments that are not applicable to ALL of the school? Hardly reasonably.

Off topic posts, posts containing flaming remarks, conjecture and personal attacks have been removed.

Please post replies which are pertinent to the forum topic and not posts which contain conjecture and disrespect for fellow forum members.

Thank you.

hello pattayafox, i am the OP and im abit peeved that you pulled my last post in which i gave first hand visual evidence very relevant to this thread i used no real bad language in fact i said the person i directed this post at was a nice guy so why did you remove it ? it was calm meaning ful debate based on 100 % fact just trying to get some truth to the many people involved .....is this not wot real forum debate is all about arguments (sometimes heated back and forth) not all need to talk only about restarants , weather but more imotive ,real problems being faced by longterm residents living in Thailand (9yrs here for me unbroken service). my sons education is of the upmost importance . i have received many personal msgs thanking me for bringing this to the attention of other parents i just cant figure out why you chose to decimate the posts on this thread. thanks rambler .

Thank you.

hello pattayafox, i am the OP and im abit peeved that you pulled my last post in which i gave first hand visual evidence very relevant to this thread i used no real bad language in fact i said the person i directed this post at was a nice guy so why did you remove it ? it was calm meaningful debate based on 100 % fact just trying to get some truth to the many people involved .....is this not wot real forum debate is all about arguments (sometimes heated back and forth) not all need to talk only about restaurants , weather but more emotive ,real problems being faced by long term residents living in Thailand (9yrs here for me unbroken service). my sons education is of the utmost importance . i have received many personal msgs thanking me for bringing this to the attention of other parents i just cant figure out why you chose to decimate the posts on this thread. thanks rambler .

May I say this to you rambler. Discussion of moderation issues is against the forum rules, but I will tell you that the thread was almost closed but instead I spent a considerable amount of time going through the posts and deleting and editing them where necessary in order for them to comply with the forum rules as I felt that there may still be some merit in continuing it.

I am not prepared to discuss this any further save to say that certain members are very lucky that I did not hand out warnings or suspensions.

Probably same as yours. Missed a key. :o

Why would you imply I am out drinking in Walking street? I am not professional because you THINK I am out drinking?

I drink on a Friday night. Outside my home. I don,t work Saturdays and it will be a cold day in hel_l before any kid I teach ever smells alcohol on my breath.

Edited by stevemiddie

Thank you.

hello pattayafox, i am the OP and im abit peeved that you pulled my last post in which i gave first hand visual evidence very relevant to this thread i used no real bad language in fact i said the person i directed this post at was a nice guy so why did you remove it ? it was calm meaningful debate based on 100 % fact just trying to get some truth to the many people involved .....is this not wot real forum debate is all about arguments (sometimes heated back and forth) not all need to talk only about restaurants , weather but more emotive ,real problems being faced by long term residents living in Thailand (9yrs here for me unbroken service). my sons education is of the utmost importance . i have received many personal msgs thanking me for bringing this to the attention of other parents i just cant figure out why you chose to decimate the posts on this thread. thanks rambler .

May I say this to you rambler. Discussion of moderation issues is against the forum rules, but I will tell you that the thread was almost closed but instead I spent a considerable amount of time going through the posts and deleting and editing them where necessary in order for them to comply with the forum rules as I felt that there may still be some merit in continuing it.

I am not prepared to discuss this any further save to say that certain members are very lucky that I did not hand out warnings or suspensions.

ok PF...I am now continuing dialogue with stevemiddie on a personal msg front nothing nasty but calm truthful debate ,we are adults debating.

ok PF...I am now continuing dialogue with stevemiddie on a personal msg front nothing nasty but calm truthful debate ,we are adults debating.

I will confirm that. Now that I have " free time " :o

Posters implying that I am not professional because apparently, I am on the piss in Walking Street every night.........are not having a calm and reasoned debate. Just coming out with rubbish. IMHO.

Edited by Maestro
Reduced quoted text. No need to quote multiple, nested posts - Maestro

Thank you.

ok PF...I am now continuing dialogue with stevemiddie on a personal msg front nothing nasty but calm truthful debate ,we are adults debating. i do however think your moderation policy is abit stringent at times enuff said... rambler.

I will confirm that. Now that I have " free time " :o

not too much free time i hope or have just got in from walking st and dont 4get its monday tomorrow. haha

Why would you imply I am out drinking in Walking street? I am not professional because you THINK I am out drinking?

I drink on a Friday night. Outside my home. I don,t work Saturdays and it will be a cold day in hel_l before any kid I teach ever smells alcohol on my breath.

well i met you there ok a few weeks ago.well i am now on my laptop and yes half pissed but like the boomtown rats sang i dont like Mondays , well neither do you from whats being said true or otherwise i dont like mondays also. ok goodnight see ya tuesday.

well i met you there ok a few weeks ago.well i am now on my laptop and yes half pissed but like the boomtown rats sang i dont like Mondays , well neither do you from whats being said true or otherwise i dont like mondays also. ok goodnight see ya tuesday.

Now you are in Disneyland.

A) I don,t know you.

:D You will not see me on Tuesday

C) Does not surprise me you are half-pissed.

D) I work on big bikes at night. Walking Street is not my cup of tea.

Now you are in Disneyland.

A) I don,t know you.

:D You will not see me on Tuesday

C) Does not surprise me you are half-pissed.

D) I work on big bikes at night. Walking Street is not my cup of tea.

Arent there loads of bikes big and small in walking st ??

The thread was given another chance for posts to get back on topic but it seems that this gesture was a waste of time.

Instead of discussing the topic the OP finds it more desireable to discuss Walking Street.

May I suggest that in future complaints about Best School are directed to the TEFL watch forum where your opinions can be aired.

Closed.