Border Means Testing At Mae Sai

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey girl, if I do ride the bike from Chiang Mai, you'd better believe I'll wear a helmet. But then, where would I park the bike safely

to the left of the bridge, straight down there was a cafe that would give you a number and take care of your motorbike for 20 Baht. I haven't used it for a couple of years, so can't be sure if still the same.

Yes this 10,000 baht is True! A letter has been posted on both Entrance and exit of Thailand BUT it is badly written and almost incomprehensible! It actually says for 30 day stamps you must show LESS than 10,000 baht I questioned the abrupt official and he made it quite clear at the top of his voice (in fact calling me stupid aswell) :o . It states in cash or vouchers (ie bank statments) but a huge signs says CASH ONLY so they are making up their own rules!

I am going to MAE SOT next month as I do not trust walking over the bridge in Mae Sai with loads of cash. Has any one heard of this Cash demand in Mae Sot?

Did the walk at Mae Sai yesterday, yes the signs are up as photographed. Someone has now written accross the top CASH ONLY in red.

Don't think this will last that long as things are alway changing at Mae Sai.

As far as safety. Walk across the bridge to Burma immigrations, carry a nice heavy umbrella (it is the rainy season) and be prepared to beat the crap out of anyone who would be dumb enough to try and steal your money. Don't shop the market on the Burma side, do an about face and head back to Thailand.

On the Thai return side, don't hand the cash to the immigration official, spread it out in front of the hole in the window for them to count but don't hand it to them.

I'm currently on a 1 year marriage visa, so this doesn't concern me , but i wouldn't like to carry 10000b in my pocket crossing into burma , are even to mai sai it self

My interpretation of what has been posted thus far is that this regulation concerns every foreigner re-entering Thailand at Mae Sai. In your case with a non-immigrant visa, you would need to be carrying 20,000 baht.

Okay, this is more bizarre-er. I'm expected to walk across to Burma and back, then re-enter Thailand by taking out of my bag (in my case) twenty 1000 baht notes publicly in front of lots of people, including some who are thieves. Then I put the money back (where? in my cheap passport bag that's around my neck with a shoestring?) and walk out into Mae Sai.

I don't think so.

How to I travel from Chiang Mai to Mae Sot?

You can go by bus. It is a lot further than Mae Sai. Maybe stay overnight in what the guidebooks call a "wild west town".

A friend hired a jeep and went there and back in a day.

You are free to go wherever you please but rules are rules.

As i said before immigration at Bangkok airport have the right to ask the same thing.

Interesting the poster above was told 'next time".

how will they remember?

Ct

I'm just curious but, does anyone know how much the immigration were paid for each passport given to them by the 'visa agencies' to stamp it in and out Thailand?

I was once quoted 13,000 baht just for a multiple entry visa from Penang embassy.

Often wondered how much was paid off to imm. officials and how much was profit for the agency. The visa only cost 1,000 baht. To send the passport to just the border was about 9,000 baht from a BKK agency.

Just wondering if the immi. are now losing out big time and are trying to pull a quick one somewhere ie. will we see money lending boothes being set up near the crossing? :o

I'm currently on a 1 year marriage visa, so this doesn't concern me , but i wouldn't like to carry 10000b in my pocket crossing into burma , are even to mai sai it self

My interpretation of what has been posted thus far is that this regulation concerns every foreigner re-entering Thailand at Mae Sai. In your case with a non-immigrant visa, you would need to be carrying 20,000 baht.

Surley not a marriage 'o' visa, because he would have about 400k in the bank already to show that he can support his family. If 'o's have to prove their worth, that is totally arse-backwards thinking by immigration. :o

Surley not a marriage 'o' visa, because he would have about 400k in the bank already to show that he can support his family. If 'o's have to prove their worth, that is totally arse-backwards thinking by immigration. :o

You do not need money in the bank for a visa based on marriage. An extension of stay is what requires the 400k. Not the same thing.

You can go by bus. It is a lot further than Mae Sai. Maybe stay overnight in what the guidebooks call a "wild west town".

A friend hired a jeep and went there and back in a day.

You are free to go wherever you please but rules are rules.

As i said before immigration at Bangkok airport have the right to ask the same thing.

Interesting the poster above was told 'next time".

how will they remember?

Ct

I'd feel safe pulling out the cash at the airport. :o

You do not need money in the bank for a visa based on marriage.  An extension of stay is what requires the 400k.  Not the same thing.

For non-imm 'o' visas (DE and Multi) I've had to show photocopies of my bank book for the last 3-4 years. For the last 6-7 years I've also had to show photocopies of my wife's ID card as well as the marriage certificate.

Given the recent spate of murders and other assaults on foreigners within the kingdom, this could make a border bounce a very dangerous event. It is certainly not conducive to TRT's aim of doubling tourist arrivals to 20 million.

I suspect this is nationalistic pandering in the run up to the general election and may fade away in the new year. On the other hand, given the government's tourist arrivals aim, this could be overt sabotage of the plan from persons with Democrat sympathies.

It could also be a misguided plot to keep foreigners away from border posts whilst the hunt goes on for the Police Sgt Major who allegedly murdered the two Britons in Kanchanaburi last week, especially in the light of claims his wife gave him a million baht with which to escape to Burma. But then it could also be a cabinet directed diversion to take the minds of expats and their consuls OFF the murder hunt and to slow down the number of letters sent to the embassies.

Lot's of things are happening that may have caused only some border posts to reintroduce this policy, and it's maybe worth looking beyond the obvious..... Remember that technically it also applies to Burmese (and other non-Thais) entering Mai Sai and may have been requested by the Labour Ministry in advance of this month-end's deadline for registering foreign labourers at local Employment Offices.

Thinking it's time my Press Card and Me took a trip out to see the Commandant at Chiangmai Immigration for a quick discussion about this?

I think this is creating a dangerous temptation for pickpockets, bag slashers, armed robbers and muggers.

I believe "dangerous temptation" needs to be listed as "auspicious opportunity".

Plus the police will have far more employment opportunities, hospitals will get more business, then the medicines sold to ward of infections and for aches and pains, why this is a new works project.

Clearly there must be a lack of crime in Thailand, now, and this insightful program is doing its best to overcome this tragic shortfall.

He's on a one year extended O visa based on marriage Oven. No need to make any ' runs ' at all for this guy :o

Hope this doesn't start applying to other border posts anytime soon - while it's not a massive amount of money, I know that there have certainly been times when I've had trouble scraping 20K together and then to have it and then get robbed on your visa trip would be a downer, to say the least... :o

He's on a one year extended O visa based on marriage Oven. No need to make any ' runs ' at all for this guy :o

What if he goes to Mae Sai for a day-trip to Tachileik? Why wouldn't he need to show the appropriate sum of money to re-enter Thailand or would one be exempted from this requirement if using a re-entry permit?

Hope this doesn't start applying to other border posts anytime soon - while it's not a massive amount of money, I know that there have certainly been times when I've had trouble scraping 20K together and then to have it and then get robbed on your visa trip would be a downer, to say the least... :o

I also hope not. I am constantly in and out of Thailand and would really dislike having to carry 20,000 baht each time I enter the Kingdom. I don't know of any other country that has a cash only requirement for entry. Most places, a pocketful of credit cards would suffice to demonstrate that one is not destitute.

I seem to recall signs at Don Muang Int'l limiting those departing Thailand to 10,000 baht.  Has that changed?

That's exactly right. Bank of Thailand regulations state that one is only allowed to take 10,000 in Thai currency from Thailand.

So of course, if you arrive back at immigration in Mae Sai with 20,000 baht in your pocket, and it was illegal to take out more than 10,000 baht, might an immigration officer ask "where did the other 10,000 baht come from. Do you hav e a receipt?".

Isn't it interesting that there is no legal way to comply with the 20,000 baht cash in pocket requirement, outside of somehow doing an exchange for another 10,000 baht inside Tachilek?

Hi Ovenman,

It's highly unlikely that anyone with a temporary one year visa based on marriage, retirement or investment is going to do a day trip to Tachilek when it costs 1900 baht to leave Thailand. The value for money isn't there.

If, as in the past, Immigration at Mae Sai will let you make photocopies of your passport, which they will stamp instead of your actual passport, then it's economically feasible to cross over. Then of course showing any money upon return isn't required since technically you never left. TIT

Has anybody else noticed the inconsistency of the posted immigration law? (probably not verbatim of the actual law) Amendment 2 section 1 states.....to Thai currency of less than 10 thousand baht, in case of family arrival, on less than 20 thousand baht whereas Amendment 2 section 2,3, and 4 states.... no less than xxxxx baht. Does this mean an alien arriving and seeking entry qualifying for Amendment 2 section 1 only need 1 satang, 1 baht or any amount less than 10,000 baht or for family on less than 20,00 baht? Just jesting. :o