Slingbox Tester Needed !

marcus

Hi Slingers in Thailand,

For a while I'm thinking to Sling over a VPN connection. VPN is a technique mostly used by big companies to allow there employees to log on into the company network, wherever they are. You can see it as some kind of extension of their LAN. The data send between the company and the user PC will be encrypted.

It is possible to connect a Slingbox on a VPN (search www.slingmedia.com)

What makes VPN attractive (I think) for Slingbox users is the encryption. Encryption means that the ISP can not slow down or block the traffic, and we all know that Thai ISP's are not very "Slinbox friendly"

To make things more easy, I first tried out a commercial package (www.relakks.com). It works great with the Slingbox - I can even connect to my friends box which is normally completely blocked - so the encryption theory seems to work. The only problem is that at the end my stream is lower as what I have without VPN (the signal is routed over Sweden with Relakks), so it is not useful for me...

Fortunately, XP has some tools to set up your own VPN network.

On the server side (where your slingbox is), do this : http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn_server.htm and forward port 1723

On the client side : http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_vpn.htm

Unfortunately, if you have an older router on the server side which does not support "GRE Protocoll 47", it will not work

And as you can guess, my friend who is doing the setup at home, is one of the few guys who has one of these routers...

So before I convince my friend to run to the shop for a new router, I would like to ask my colleague Slingers if they can try it with there setups.

I did it here in Thailand with my cheap Zyxel router, and it worked in 15 minutes.

Thanx,

Marcus