Elizabethan Restaurant

anonymouse

Popped into the Elizabethan Restaurant this evening with Mrs MB and guests. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. We had the banquet menu which included an enormous joint of roasted pork and half a chicken each, garlic mash, a ton of veg and superb gravy. Great cooking and am now stuffed as a French goose's liver.

I will certainly be back and will go to try the breakfasts too. :o

Reason for edit - absent apostrophe

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it amazes me how dumb and stubborn some Farangs can be when opening up new restuarant-bars. What does he think when he has to keep digging into his savings every month to pay the bills?????

Not just restaurants.

A lot of farang run "businesess" here hardly seem to attract a customer, yet drag on and on and on with the help of their pensions, making it hard for viable businesses that need all the customers that they can get. :o

it amazes me how dumb and stubborn some Farangs can be when opening up new restuarant-bars. What does he think when he has to keep digging into his savings every month to pay the bills?????

Not just restaurants.

A lot of farang run "businesess" here hardly seem to attract a customer, yet drag on and on and on with the help of their pensions, making it hard for viable businesses that need all the customers that they can get. :o

But perhaps a blessing for the odd customer who happens to need what they have for sale? :D

Actually, I'm refering to businesses that have copied other businesses, so that there are way to many of them and the customer has more than enough choice already.

Businesses that provide something neccesary that others don't, usually don't have to rely on someones bank account to remain open. :o

Actually, I'm refering to businesses that have copied other businesses, so that there are way to many of them and the customer has more than enough choice already.

Businesses that provide something neccesary that others don't, usually don't have to rely on someones bank account to remain open. :o

Tricky things these free markets! :D

Popped into the Elizabethan Restaurant this evening with Mrs MB and guests. We all thoroughly enjoyed it. We had the banquet menu which included an enormous joint of roasted pork and half a chicken each, garlic mash, a ton of veg and superb gravy. Great cooking and am now stuffed as a French goose's liver.

I will certainly be back and will go to try the breakfasts too. tongue.gif

MB - I'm intrigued, did you have to pre-order the roast pork? And do you happen to know what time they open for breakfast? (Yes, I know, it's an obsession!)

JxP

Can anybody who's been there recommend any particular dishes, and give some idea of prices . . .

My wife and I went again last night, and once again enjoyed it thoroughly. To help you out, Ricardo, assuming that you still stand in need of helping a week later, I checked out the name and price of a dish that knocked me out there in the past. Steak and stout pie, at 250 baht. The steak, pieces of steak really, of course, were tender and delicious, the sauce or gravy also delicious and, surprise, the pie crust on top also so. Last night I asked if they had any special roast, and was told yes, lamb. So we both had that. I would be using too many of the same adjectives if I were to describe it, so won't. Two lamb roast dinners, with heaps of roast and mashed potatoes and veggies, and with chicken liver pate and pea soup to start, washed down by a bottle of house red wine, set me back what I think of as a reasonable 900 baht (of which the wine was 500 baht).

I like a good bitch and moan about all the things that are wrong here...

Consider the variations that punctuation offers:

I like a good bitch-and-moan about all the things that are wrong here.

I like a good bitch, and moan about all the things that are wrong here.

I like a good bitch, and moan about all; the things that are wrong here!

I like a good bitch and moan about all the things that are wrong here...

Consider the variations that punctuation offers:

I like a good bitch-and-moan about all the things that are wrong here.

I like a good bitch, and moan about all the things that are wrong here.

I like a good bitch, and moan about all; the things that are wrong here!

Then there's:

I like a good bitch and moan -- about all the things that are wrong here.

• 2 weeks later...
Saw in yesterdays CM Mail an advert and a unbiased review :o for an Elizabethan English restaurant just opened near Rimping condo.

I'm looking forward to giving the place a try and wish them the best of luck but imho they must be either incredibly naive, have balls bigger than King Kong or know something I don't about the demand for 16th Century English food in Chiang Mai if they think this place will last.

Finally got round to trying this place.

I was right on my second point about the size of the owners balls :D after a three week holiday in Chiang Mai they come back and open up an English restaurant. I still think its a lousy location and they should ditch the 'Elizabethan' tag but......

The food is excellent, quality ingredients and cooked to perfection, probably the best vegetables I have tasted in a western restaurant in Chiang Mai and the Steak pie was as good if not better than any I've tasted in the UK. Had the kidneys for a starter and with the main course did not need a dessert. The wife who is Thai, enjoyed her welsh rarebit followed by salmon.

They open for breakfast - if memory serves me right around 9am, the breakfasts are served as individual items and you tailor make the breakfast to want you want, which seems a good idea.

I really do hope they survive, I think that if they are as good at marketing as they are at cooking they should be ok :D

• 9 months later...
Seems to me that all the Brit restaurants keep closing down: Queen Vic, Hungry Horse, The Gatehouse. Maybe <deleted> is in the eye of the beholder! :o

The Queen Vic isn't closed down. (why do you persist with this one)

The Gatehouse was doing Fondue (that's not British, by the way)

The Pub is still open (20+ years)

The Olde Bell is doing fine

Blackpool Bar and various back-soi places selling English food ares still open.

And The Red Lion .... still thriving after 10 years!!!

Queen Victoria now under new ownership Swiss/Thai Pascal and Kitty. 8 nice rooms 600-800b

They are making some improvements and have hired some old staff back. Good meals. Open for bkfst at 8am.

Internet at the bar and wifi if you have your lappie.

The Queen Vic IS still open (I was there yesterday) but there is a serious ownership dispute which is ongoing (as the website link states) hopefully it wont close down.

It is now open under new ownership Swiss/Thai nice couple Pascal and Kitty. Please give them your support for this nice little pub.

The Queen Vic IS still open (I was there yesterday) but there is a serious ownership dispute which is ongoing (as the website link states) hopefully it wont close down.

It is now open under new ownership Swiss/Thai nice couple Pascal and Kitty. Please give them your support for this nice little pub.

Fair comment. And the subject of this thread, (if we all recall), the Elizabethan Room, is very sadly not serving at all.

After an illness, the English lady cook/co-owner has left Thailand and her son, who did his very best to hold things together with NO capital, is now employed elsewhere.

The business (not the building of course) is advertised for sale and inquirers will be met by a late-middle-aged Englishman.

Given the rules here, plus the laws of the Meads and the Persians, caveat emptor. As the Latins say. Or used to.

Saw in yesterdays CM Mail an advert and a unbiased review :o for an Elizabethan English restaurant just opened near Rimping condo.

I'm looking forward to giving the place a try and wish them the best of luck but imho they must be either incredibly naive, have balls bigger than King Kong or know something I don't about the demand for 16th Century English food in Chiang Mai if they think this place will last.

I was right on my second point about the size of the owners balls :D after a three week holiday in Chiang Mai they come back and open up an English restaurant. I still think its a lousy location and they should ditch the 'Elizabethan' tag but......

The food is excellent, quality ingredients and cooked to perfection, probably the best vegetables I have tasted in a western restaurant in Chiang Mai and the Steak pie was as good if not better than any I've tasted in the UK. Had the kidneys for a starter and with the main course did not need a dessert. The wife who is Thai, enjoyed her welsh rarebit followed by salmon.

They open for breakfast - if memory serves me right around 9am, the breakfasts are served as individual items and you tailor make the breakfast to want you want, which seems a good idea.

I really do hope they survive, I think that if they are as good at marketing as they are at cooking they should be ok :D

The business has been upfor sale for some time - see Chiangmai Mail and posters at restaurant and on menu. CMM is not always unbiased. Portion sizes are good, food is usually very good but meats not always properly cooked. they have limited facilities in the kitchen. owner often seems a bit pissed off but if lucky you can have some good meals there but be firm if food is not coked

Saw in yesterdays CM Mail an advert and a unbiased review :D for an Elizabethan English restaurant just opened near Rimping condo.

The business has been upfor sale for some time - see Chiangmai Mail and posters at restaurant and on menu. CMM is not always unbiased. Portion sizes are good, food is usually very good but meats not always properly cooked. they have limited facilities in the kitchen. owner often seems a bit pissed off but if lucky you can have some good meals there but be firm if food is not coked

Chiangmai Mail. Even Cheerful Charlie won't wrap his "fish and chips in it" wot does that tell you?? :o