Honda Dream With Disc Brake ?

Pond Life

Hello Folks, any of you know if its possible to buy a Honda Dream new from the showroom with a front disc brake ?

Im sure in the past I've seen them but now I want buy one the Honda dealer says "no have", plenty of Waves with disc.

I've got a Wave with disc already, its a great bike but just not a strongly built as a dream.

Well, even MaeHongSon must have more than one Honda dealership; have you tried several more? Slightly off topic, I need to know for my novel: how many Suzuki dealerships in MHSon province?

And to play devil's advocate for a moment (my last 8 bikes have had 1 to 3 disk brakes each), does a Honda Dream even need anything more than that teensy front brake it already has? If you're going to be charging down mountains, disks dissipate the heat better than drums. But it's not as if you're going to be racing a Dream. Has the Dream changed much since 1963?

I cant actualy remember the last time i went to mae Hongson city/town, 2 yrs +.

I do my shopping on short trips to Chiang mai & my reason for asking the acumulated expertise of TV is to save me wasteing a whole day looking for something that may not be there to find.

Just because a dealer says "Mai Mee" doesnt mean they arnt available, it might mean that they are a special order item from BKK but he cant be arsed telling me that.

As for disc verses drum on a Dream, when a pick up pulls out on me I'll bet my life on a good disc brake over a helmet any day, but preferably both.

No I dont think the Dream has changed much since '63, why change something thats perfect for the job, except a front disc. :o

Agreed, the drum brake on the front of a Dream looks almost nonexistent. However, any brake that can bring you to a sudden stop (once!) might be enough. I think disks were invented for racing, to avoid fading. After all these years of using disks, I'd be reluctant to buy even a 50cc machine with drums.

I'll assume that my novel is correct in saying that MaeHongSon has one Suzuki dealership (and would have had to special order a Raider 150).

Hi :o

I too am interested to know about that same subject - i have NEVER seen a Dream with disc front brake. And specially in Chiang Mai the Dream is way more popular than the Wave....... i very much prefer to ride a Dream because they are much more comfortable, not complaining about the Wave but the Dream has it's name rightly :D

Yet if i want to buy a brand new bike i expect a disc brake too. Even if it costs extra. It *should* at least be available! But anyway i think the front forks of Wave and Dream are similar enough that a Dream could be outfitted with parts originally for a Wave, to get the disc brake.... a modification i would do in any case if no other possibility.

@PeaceBlondie

Staying in Chiang Mai for a couple of weeks i fall all over in love again with those little Honda four-strokers. And in Chiang Mai all of them are present - the Super Cub (the one i want most!!), it's direct successor Dream 100 and every Dream built after that right to the 2007 Dream Exces. And yes, there are massive differences between them - yet still the Dream looks the closest to the Super Cub still while Wave and similar derivatives are just shadow copies. Yet still i hang on to my trusty bulldozer Yamaha RXZ two-stroke rocket, just today got V-4 suspension installed (that is four shocks in the rear in V-Style, two on each side) and have a racing-style foot rest set coming from Malaysia. But one day i'll find and buy a Super Cub......

Best regards....

Thanh

• 4 months later...

Where in Chiang Mai can I buy an old Super Cub????

Hi :o

I too am interested to know about that same subject - i have NEVER seen a Dream with disc front brake. And specially in Chiang Mai the Dream is way more popular than the Wave....... i very much prefer to ride a Dream because they are much more comfortable, not complaining about the Wave but the Dream has it's name rightly :D

Yet if i want to buy a brand new bike i expect a disc brake too. Even if it costs extra. It *should* at least be available! But anyway i think the front forks of Wave and Dream are similar enough that a Dream could be outfitted with parts originally for a Wave, to get the disc brake.... a modification i would do in any case if no other possibility.

@PeaceBlondie

Staying in Chiang Mai for a couple of weeks i fall all over in love again with those little Honda four-strokers. And in Chiang Mai all of them are present - the Super Cub (the one i want most!!), it's direct successor Dream 100 and every Dream built after that right to the 2007 Dream Exces. And yes, there are massive differences between them - yet still the Dream looks the closest to the Super Cub still while Wave and similar derivatives are just shadow copies. Yet still i hang on to my trusty bulldozer Yamaha RXZ two-stroke rocket, just today got V-4 suspension installed (that is four shocks in the rear in V-Style, two on each side) and have a racing-style foot rest set coming from Malaysia. But one day i'll find and buy a Super Cub......

Best regards....

Thanh