Australian Aged Pension

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ok fishhooks you raise a good point,but i read somewhere on this thread exactly that,but you would think going overseas during that period for a holiday would be reasonable enough,and maybe it is.An email to centrelink hobart should clear that up.I still think it unreasonable to expect someone in my position to have to upend my life here to return to australia for 2 years to re qualify even though i have worked/paid taxes for the qualifying time of 30+ years.that would mean going to have to look for work again and in part start a new life again.

samuibeachcomber--

The info below I posted quite some time back regarding " Resident or Former Resident". (with some editing and a couple of minor changes)

I went thru this but was lucky in as much as I had my "former resident" status change to that of resident - it took time and perserverance - I can now come and go as I please , but you must notify Centrelink whenever you leave the country.

"Where people run into problems is that they have been living overseas for a number of years prior to their pension date - they return home and apply for the pension - because they have been out of the country for a number of years (there is nothing stipulated as to how long etc that I am aware of) they get classified as "Former Residents" - you are entitled to a pension (assuming you qualify etc) but you can not leave the country for a period of 2 years - if you do your pension is cancelled.

In the case of people returning to Aust to register for the pension (you have to be in Australia to do this) you need to push like mad to be classified as a RESIDENT not a former resident - to qualify as a resident you have to convince Centrelink that you are in fact a resident (who might have been on extended holidays or work contract etc) if you are living o/seas you need to show that you returned to Aust. - say every year for a visit, held real estate, medical insurance paid some taxes etc - you can swear your life away saying that you always intended to return to Aust. as you considered yourself to be on an extended holiday, that you are not a "Resident" of any other country, do not have any interests in businesses or large savings o/seas etc etc you could get a friendly hearing, if it goes against you - there is an avenue to protest this and it will be reviewed external to the centrelink office where you applied.

Once you are classsified as a resident you can come and go as you like . "

This is a quick overview but should give you a good idea of what's what.

Would anyone have any information about Widowers pension from Centrelink and how to receive this if you are not in Australia? Thank you.

I think you should probably enquire with Veterans Affairs about War Widows and Widowers pensions.

Good luck planning. Because of these Immigration Office changes I'm trying to find info and "plan" a trip to ThaLi to extend my Retirement Visa.

Very sketchy info at the moment, seems it's not really a proper office where you can go inside! Like the office that's there that really isn't an office.

And it's way off the normal beaten track, I think.

Sorry, off topic, but here and there (Aus) it's hard to plan ahead these days!

Would anyone have any information about Widowers pension from Centrelink and how to receive this if you are not in Australia? Thank you.

I think you should probably enquire with Veterans Affairs about War Widows and Widowers pensions.

Veteran Affairs for War Widowers pension? I don't believe my father ever served in the Australian army...

Veteran Affairs for War Widowers pension? I don't believe my father ever served in the Australian army...

I think that widowers pension only applies to partners of deceased veterans which is administered by the Dept of Veterans Affairs , all others come under Centrelink .

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose that's good ozzyd., I just hope they send it ex Australia in A$ to be converted to Baht at the Thailand end.

If they do the conversion at the Australian end into THB, the resulting amount to your pocket will be less.

I suppose that's good ozzyd., I just hope they send it ex Australia in A$ to be converted to Baht at the Thailand end.

If they do the conversion at the Australian end into THB, the resulting amount to your pocket will be less.

It is deposited in the currency of the country of receipt at the current exchange rate prevailing at that time.

I would beg to disagree with your statement as I received a better rate from the Oz end than what was on offer at Bangkok Bank at the time of transfer, it was almost 1 baht per $ better.

Ozzy

Solly ozzy, but it's a long time proven fact that A$ leaving Australia as A$ will always attract a much better result if converted at the Thai end.

With your example above, the only way that the rate would gain an advantage being converted at the AUS end, would be if there was a shift in the value of the A$ during the conversion and transfer process. AND yes we do have a currency which is at the mercy of a number of factors and the example you quote could happen from time to time. But, as a rule of thumb, no, as generally people who transfer from their own funds by T.T. would never do a conversion to THB in Australia. The main reason for this is the quite poor rates given by Australian banks for Foreign Currency transactions.

This is all academic anyway as Centrelink will do it as per there own procedures and regulations, so no real point in a big discussion.

THAILAND BAHT THB 25.8740 26.1180 27.3720 22.8090 N/A 22.1475

The above rates are yesterday's (Friday) from ANZ, Whilst not the same as T.T's but "similar", ANZ were selling THB for A$ notes @ 22.1475

(PLUS COMMISSIONS to be paid by the customer)

At very much the same time yesterday, Siam Commercial Bank were buying Australian notes @ 23.965 (WITH NO COMMISSIONS)

Nearly 2 Baht difference, not much if we are talking a few hundred Baht, but talk large amounts and you really lose out.

and in my experience the ANZ by far have the worst exchange rates than the other aussie banks.Concur with you fishooks,always send in aussie dollars,and if centrelink are depositing pension into your aussie account that gives you the flexibility to transer in aussie dollars.The cheapest way to transfer is via internet banking,flat fee of 20 dollar charge.in your thai account in 24 hours.

Quite Agree; That's the best way "if" you can arrange it.

Have C/L deposit into your AUS Bank Account and if you can budget in such a way that you only need to do a transfer every couple to a few months, do an Internet T.T. Transfer into your Thai Bank, with the funds initiated in A$.

The $20 - $24 dollar charge in AUS, varies a bit between the banks, will not be noticed as the resulting rate into your Thai bank will more than make up for that.

PS. Commonwealth Bank to SCB often takes less than a couple of hours.

Now guys I haven't followed the whole thread, you talking about an Australian resident is there any different in being an PR compared to an citycen?

As far as i'm aware,if you have permanent residency you are elligible for the same entitlements as a citizen i.e. work and paying taxes for a total of 30 years prior to retirement age, which is currently 65.

Now guys I haven't followed the whole thread, you talking about an Australian resident is there any different in being an PR compared to an citycen?

As far as i'm aware,if you have permanent residency you are elligible for the same entitlements as a citizen i.e. work and paying taxes for a total of 30 years prior to retirement age, which is currently 65.

Thanks for clearing that up mate :o

Solly ozzy, but it's a long time proven fact that A$ leaving Australia as A$ will always attract a much better result if converted at the Thai end.

With your example above, the only way that the rate would gain an advantage being converted at the AUS end, would be if there was a shift in the value of the A$ during the conversion and transfer process. AND yes we do have a currency which is at the mercy of a number of factors and the example you quote could happen from time to time. But, as a rule of thumb, no, as generally people who transfer from their own funds by T.T. would never do a conversion to THB in Australia. The main reason for this is the quite poor rates given by Australian banks for Foreign Currency transactions.

This is all academic anyway as Centrelink will do it as per there own procedures and regulations, so no real point in a big discussion.

THAILAND BAHT THB 25.8740 26.1180 27.3720 22.8090 N/A 22.1475

The above rates are yesterday's (Friday) from ANZ, Whilst not the same as T.T's but "similar", ANZ were selling THB for A$ notes @ 22.1475

(PLUS COMMISSIONS to be paid by the customer)

At very much the same time yesterday, Siam Commercial Bank were buying Australian notes @ 23.965 (WITH NO COMMISSIONS)

Nearly 2 Baht difference, not much if we are talking a few hundred Baht, but talk large amounts and you really lose out.

Just did this months pay (payday was 26th ) exchange rate was 24.48 THB .

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for clearing that up mate :o

There is no requirement to work or have paid taxes. The requirement is years lived in australia during your working age life. If you have lived in other countries they only pay a part pension aand you are required to claim the rest from the other country. You couldhowever still come under the 2 years residence requirement as CCentrelink uses its own definitionof resident

The first point is not exactly right, 'The property you own and in which you reside is not assessable for either the income or assets test.

Do not bother with Accountants in Australia when it comes to Centrelink they do not know shiiite from clay. The only authorative person is the Centrelink Case Officer.

Be prepared to fill in a book as big as Tolstoy's War and Peace and divulge every aspect of your life if you want a Health Card or OAP.

All assets Real "as defined by the law of Torts" and cash anywhere in the world must be declared, if you do not want to commit fraud when you sign Centrelink Documents.

• 3 months later...
I don't turn 65 for another couple of years but when I do, I was under the impression that I could claim the Australian Aged Pension while continuing to reside in Thailand.

Having paid massive amounts in Australian income tax and every other tax they can think of for my entire working life, I figured I could look forward to living reasonably well on our Aged Pension in Thailand. Problem is, according to one source, I might not be able to claim the pension if I am not living in Australia. Another says it will cut-out after 26 weeks if I am away from Oz.

Tried to get info from the so called "Seniors" Link through the Aust. Gvt. website. No USE!!

Would greatly appreciate ANY and ALL info you can offer.

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

• 2 weeks later...
I don't turn 65 for another couple of years but when I do, I was under the impression that I could claim the Australian Aged Pension while continuing to reside in Thailand.

Having paid massive amounts in Australian income tax and every other tax they can think of for my entire working life, I figured I could look forward to living reasonably well on our Aged Pension in Thailand. Problem is, according to one source, I might not be able to claim the pension if I am not living in Australia. Another says it will cut-out after 26 weeks if I am away from Oz.

Tried to get info from the so called "Seniors" Link through the Aust. Gvt. website. No USE!!

Would greatly appreciate ANY and ALL info you can offer.

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

barryb & philphy;

Your queries are very well covered in this very thread, have many possibilities and ramifications. There are so many posts about your question, including questions from yours truly, that I guess no-one can provide a 'simple' answer to your query.

Not trying to beat around the bush, but needs a lot of study as to what one should do, particularly if CL grade you as a former resident IF you have been out of Australia for significant periods around retirement age.

Archived