Australian Aged Pension

Posts in earlier threads also indicate that if your Thai wife is in any way capable of working, your pension will be reduced.

They apparently do not take into account, race or language difficulties.

I imagine, but I'm not sure, even if you are lucky enough to be receiving the pension and are living in Thailand, they will be on to the fact that she should be working as well, and thus adjust your pension, not taking into account the many varying factors which may come into play why she "may" not be working. Like caring for other family members who may be in poor health etc. Not many retirement villages here in the LOS!

Michael may be a good source of info, but unfortunately I think you will find in the end that each case is uniquely different in some respect, as is the decision of the officer you may deal with from Hobart. Yes you can appeal, but let's face it, anyone receiving a no-strings attached Australian Pension in Thailand can probably think themselves very lucky..........A situation which indeed needs revision.

A ridiculous situation, but I have heard of people of pensionable age, actually getting divorced on paper only, to get around some of the hurdles that Centrelink come up with.

• Replies 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
as i understand it from this thread,if you left australia prior to being at the pensionable age of 65 to live in thailand you do not automatically become elligible for the state pension.To receive or qualify for the pension you would be required to return to australia 2 years before age 65 and take up permanent residence again.then at age 65 apply at local centre link office.

After that i think you just let centrelink know you will be going overseas to live in thailand and they will continue to pay into your aussie account.there will be strings attached to you still receiving the pension but i think it can be done.if you look back to the early postings in this thread,an aussie guy posted that he was receving his pension while living in thailand and on eof the criteria was that he keep in touch with centrelink as to his whereabouts.

It isnt a case of keeping in touch with C/L , the requirement is that you must notify C/L of any change in your adress within 14 days, because if they try to communicate with you and fail to get a reply within the 14 days your pension will cease until you make contact with them.

This has happened to me several times owing to non arrival (thanks to the inefficient and light-fingered postal workers) of correspondence , and the only way you will know something is amiss is when you check your banking records and find your pension is unpaid , but thanks to the great staff at C/L International ,it only takes a phone call to rectify the situation..

I will state that any Australian Citizen who is entitled to the OAP and meets the criteria will receive the pension, the residential criteria has been well explained in this thread and it is up to you to meet said criteria, no good bitching that you cant milk the system .

If you are eligible to receive an age pension in Australia and you move overseas to a country that doesn't have reciprocal rights with Aust, ie Thailand you can still get the pension - notwihtstanding that you are not being treated as a former resident which requires a 2 year waiting period before the pension can be paid o/seas. There will be a reduction of some benefits - phone, pharmacy, travel, etc but the base pension remains.

as i understand it from this thread,if you left australia prior to being at the pensionable age of 65 to live in thailand you do not automatically become elligible for the state pension.To receive or qualify for the pension you would be required to return to australia 2 years before age 65 and take up permanent residence again.then at age 65 apply at local centre link office.

After that i think you just let centrelink know you will be going overseas to live in thailand and they will continue to pay into your aussie account.there will be strings attached to you still receiving the pension but i think it can be done.if you look back to the early postings in this thread,an aussie guy posted that he was receving his pension while living in thailand and on eof the criteria was that he keep in touch with centrelink as to his whereabouts.

It isnt a case of keeping in touch with C/L , the requirement is that you must notify C/L of any change in your adress within 14 days, because if they try to communicate with you and fail to get a reply within the 14 days your pension will cease until you make contact with them.

This has happened to me several times owing to non arrival (thanks to the inefficient and light-fingered postal workers) of correspondence , and the only way you will know something is amiss is when you check your banking records and find your pension is unpaid , but thanks to the great staff at C/L International ,it only takes a phone call to rectify the situation..

I will state that any Australian Citizen who is entitled to the OAP and meets the criteria will receive the pension, the residential criteria has been well explained in this thread and it is up to you to meet said criteria, no good bitching that you cant milk the system .

bit harsh ozzydom,no one is after milking the system,just being able to get some support after all the years of paying taxes,after all the system is saving with retirees being overseas........no health card,no medicare,no train/bus discounts..............a good deal for thegovt.

bit harsh ozzydom,no one is after milking the system,just being able to get some support after all the years of paying taxes,after all the system is saving with retirees being overseas........no health card,no medicare,no train/bus discounts..............a good deal for thegovt.

My point about milking the system was a blanket statement to avoid getting into a slanging match with any particular member, a bit of a ' IF THE CAP FITS ,WEAR IT ' statement.

Of course it was not aimed at the genuine retiree who meets the OAP criteria who make up the majority of claimants, they are generally satisfied with their lot and have no reason to bitch on TV.

Your statement re Medicare and Healthcare is not quite true, because you receive a pension and choose to live in another country does not mean you are written off .

Case in point, I had lived in S/E Asia for 8 years when I started having major heart seizures last year ,I could not afford the 1.8 mill baht they wanted here for the procedure so I flew to Oz , they arranged a new Medicare number and operated the same day I arrived and I flew back here 12 days later ,cost to me was my airfare. Cant get much fairer than that IMHO .

I am in a similiar position to ThailtAgain, when my Thai wife received her 309 visa Centrelink reduced my retirement pension to the couple rate, (she is not entitled to SS benefits). If she works I will lose again.

Centrelink encourage separation in my opinion.

As soon as my wife gets her PR status we are returning to Thailand. At present my wife does not work. We have separate bank accounts and I support my wife, Centrelink cannot understand that principle.

The point is will I be paid the couple rate or will I be paid the single rate when we return to Thailand?

We could be separated in Thailand as far as Centrelink is concerned.

I am in a similiar position to ThailtAgain, when my Thai wife received her 309 visa Centrelink reduced my retirement pension to the couple rate, (she is not entitled to SS benefits). If she works I will lose again.

Centrelink encourage separation in my opinion.

As soon as my wife gets her PR status we are returning to Thailand. At present my wife does not work. We have separate bank accounts and I support my wife, Centrelink cannot understand that principle.

The point is will I be paid the couple rate or will I be paid the single rate when we return to Thailand?

We could be separated in Thailand as far as Centrelink is concerned.

Its a bit of a Catch 22 situation. You are either married or single.

If married ,you receive the married pension whether or not your spouse is able to gain benefits as well, your partner must qualify for benefits in her own right (either OAP, Disability or unemployed benefits ) and of course ,any income from working will reduce your payment, whether it is earned by you OR your wife .

The Disability pension has a different set of rules in that if the medico,s resolve that you need assistance in everyday living then your spouse can be listed as your Carer and be eligible for the Carers Allowance irrespective of her age.

Recipients of DVA pensions have a different set of rules again.

I don't think anyone wants to "milk the system". How can you even call it that when the government is just paying you your own money which they took out of your paycheck during your lifetime of work?

No, we are here to cast a light on how Centrelink does its job for those not living in Australia. The more information we can gather then the better off we are in claiming legitimate benefits for our families. That is whats important here.

I don't think anyone wants to "milk the system". How can you even call it that when the government is just paying you your own money which they took out of your paycheck during your lifetime of work?

No, we are here to cast a light on how Centrelink does its job for those not living in Australia. The more information we can gather then the better off we are in claiming legitimate benefits for our families. That is whats important here.

my point exactly.as i understand it for anyone who has left australia before the age of 65 to live overseas(even though they have chalked up 30+ years contributing via taxes paid)will have to return to australia for 2 years before being able to receive said pension.and then having cliaimed the pension and having been approved by centrelink it is still a minefield if you would still like to receive it while living overseas again.my interpretation of the govts. attitude is they only want to give you the pension if you continue to live in australia,and put many obsticales in your way should you want to go overseas and continue to receive said pension.this is my gripe,anyone who can explain that my understanding of this is wrong,i would really like to hear from them and give me some good advice.

Last October I forwarded a submission to the Pensions Review, this is part of it.

Submission to Pension Review.

The Federal Minimum Wage to be the minimum benchmark for calculating payments. From 1st October 2008 it will be $14.31 per hour ($1087.56 per fortnight)

The single pension to be a minimum of 70% of the FMW.

The couple rate to be 100% of the FMW

The couple (one eligible partner) to be 70% of the FMW, ie, the same as the single rate. The income from the non eligible partner should not be taken into consideration when calculating the eligible partners payment. (except perhaps where the non eligible partner is claiming other social security payments).

I really do not understand the policy of it being easier to get this OAP if you happen to be in a country with a retrospective agreement.

Sure, if Australia wants to hold hands with "some" other countries to make paperwork easier, okay.

But, this pension thing is something very personal and if it applies and an Australian Citizen meets all the criteria for receiving the thing on our own soil, it should matter not, where you decide to spend all or some of your retirement years.

This is something which I'm sure hasn't been tackled before and we should start to make our 'what is reasonable' voices louder!

• 3 weeks later...

Has any other Australian OAP recipient received a letter telling them to contact Social Security Dept. of Thailand with regard to claiming an OA/Seniority pension from Thailand based on time living in Thailand.

I thought it was a bit of a giggle till I got to the part where it states that failure to lodge a claim will result in the stoppage of my Oz pension in 5 weeks.

Centrelink requires a receipt or letter from Dept of \Social Security Thailand stating that I have made a claim.

They even include a letter (blanks to be filled in) to the Thailand social security requesting claim forms to be provided to me.

As far as I know ,pensions are not available to expats who have lived here long term as a tourist, (maybe different for those on long term work visas.)

I did type the full text of the letter but lost it in a power surge so will post the gist of the correspondence for comment. ( my typing finger is tired ).

Are there guidelines anywhere as to how this pension thing works with the countries that "do" have retrospective agreements with Australia?

I've got no idea about it.

The above post by ozzydom is very interesting! ......... Is there something in the wind?

Are there guidelines anywhere as to how this pension thing works with the countries that "do" have retrospective agreements with Australia?

I've got no idea about it.

The above post by ozzydom is very interesting! ......... Is there something in the wind?

Just looked at the link provided by david66 and there are 22 countries that have an agreement with Australia. New Zealand is one. Small personal real story: worked in Australia since earlie 1960's Lived and also worked in NZ for about 5-6 years after which I returned to Australia and paid a shit load of tax to the Government until I retired. When I applied to get my pension at 65 from Centrelink, a question I was asked was " Had I worked in any other country" being truthful I answered yes NZ about 5 years, Centrelink suggested (instructed) that based on that I contact them as it "might be of benefit to me" so I did make contact and they sent me a form to whit I filled it in and much to my surprise they said yes based on the info you supplied; I would get a pension from them seeing that you worked here for 5-years. and that I would receive about $30 NZ weekly OH GOODIES! thought I that will help increase my pension by a few $$. wrong!!

Centrelink was informed and they immediately adjusted their pension payments to me as a result of NZ paying me a pension. so the story is: " I was no better off by having NZ pay me a benefit" Centrelink gained the benefit in reality not me. Sad thing is, if I ever get in strife with Centrelink or should not keep in touch with Centrelink when required or if I am in any dispute dispute with Centrelink, NZ learns of it and adjust my pension from NZ in line with Australia. How do I nohow, Centrelink did stop my pension because I didn't answer a letter they said they had sent me but had not received next minute pension is stopped, letter came from NZ telling me that my benefit had been stopped until further notice. Interesting bit of info though: If I get a part time job in Australia then what I earn is deducted off my pension at 20% in the $. However, when talking to Auckland pension services, If I was living in NZ and did the same part time work IE 20 hrs at my age, then the extra I would earn is not assessed against my NZ pension. Interesting scenario situation! What I don't know is THIS If I moved to NZ (of which I have no intention) and I am getting my pension from Australia the way I am now and, if I got part time work in NZ or anywhere in the 22 countries that have an agreement with Australia, In the case of NZ who don't penalize my pension payments, would Australia still deduct the money I earned off my Aussie pension @ 20% in the dollar Australian?.

What are your thoughts or comments.

ThaiItAgain

the idea of any state pension particularly in australia and the UK is to pay you as little as they have to ,so you can just about survive at subsistence level in your home country.which is fine as it goes cos they are saving tax payer dollars,however it also appears mean because private and govt. super schemes have n't been running that long,only since the mid 90's i think,so most people have n't had a chance to build up separate retirement funds.

It is equally a load of BS to expect people who have chosen to stop work and live overseas to have to return and complete a 2 year residency period before qualifying for a state pension.

I don't turn 65 for another couple of years but when I do, I was under the impression that I could claim the Australian Aged Pension while continuing to reside in Thailand.

Having paid massive amounts in Australian income tax and every other tax they can think of for my entire working life, I figured I could look forward to living reasonably well on our Aged Pension in Thailand. Problem is, according to one source, I might not be able to claim the pension if I am not living in Australia. Another says it will cut-out after 26 weeks if I am away from Oz.

Tried to get info from the so called "Seniors" Link through the Aust. Gvt. website. No USE!!

Would greatly appreciate ANY and ALL info you can offer.

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

I am an Australia pensioner, have been living in Thailand now almost 12 months on the pension, you must apply for the pension in Aust, it take quite a while to get it they turn you upside down and then some, in oz for single person age pension $539.23 Pharmaceutical allowance $5.80 Rent assistance $71.47 all up $616.50 per fortnight, when you go overseas they take away the add ons like the rent assistance and pharmaceutical, this will be a bit different for each person. there is no problem getting the penson pay to you overseas, my pension is paid into my Thai bank account by Centrelink and this is great saves a lot of money, if you have a OZ bank account & use a ATM it is very expensive, not a good idea. you must keep Centrelink updated with you address in Thailand at all times, I do this every three months by email, I have been told there is no time limit on getting the pension it will stop when I kick the bucket. The Centrelink contact for overseas is Ph 61362223455 or fax 61362222799, email [email protected] they are a special dept for overseas. never BS them and you will have no problems they are really good and help a lot.

I don't turn 65 for another couple of years but when I do, I was under the impression that I could claim the Australian Aged Pension while continuing to reside in Thailand.

Having paid massive amounts in Australian income tax and every other tax they can think of for my entire working life, I figured I could look forward to living reasonably well on our Aged Pension in Thailand. Problem is, according to one source, I might not be able to claim the pension if I am not living in Australia. Another says it will cut-out after 26 weeks if I am away from Oz.

Tried to get info from the so called "Seniors" Link through the Aust. Gvt. website. No USE!!

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

I am an Australia pensioner, have been living in Thailand now almost 12 months on the pension, you must apply for the pension in Aust, it take quite a while to get it they turn you upside down and then some, in oz for single person age pension $539.23 Pharmaceutical allowance $5.80 Rent assistance $71.47 all up $616.50 per fortnight, when you go overseas they take away the add ons like the rent assistance and pharmaceutical, this will be a bit different for each person. there is no problem getting the penson pay to you overseas, my pension is paid into my Thai bank account by Centrelink and this is great saves a lot of money, if you have a OZ bank account & use a ATM it is very expensive, not a good idea. you must keep Centrelink updated with you address in Thailand at all times, I do this every three months by email, I have been told there is no time limit on getting the pension it will stop when I kick the bucket. The Centrelink contact for overseas is Ph 61362223455 or fax 61362222799, email [email protected] they are a special dept for overseas. never BS them and you will have no problems they are really good and help a lot.

An update on the Centrelink phone number, there is now a new free call number= 001 800 611 4136 , it works a treat.

I have just changed my payment details to be paid into my Thai bank A/C ,am just waiting to see what the lag time is for deposit into that a/c and then off to Cambodia for good.

T/W has decided that I am surplus to her requirements now that I have provided her a home and income producing farm and I put the stoppers on her gambling so at near 70 years I am to start a new life , should be interesting. :o

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

An update on the Centrelink phone number, there is now a new free call number= 001 800 611 4136 , it works a treat.

I have just changed my payment details to be paid into my Thai bank A/C ,am just waiting to see what the lag time is for deposit into that a/c and then off to Cambodia for good.

T/W has decided that I am surplus to her requirements now that I have provided her a home and income producing farm and I put the stoppers on her gambling so at near 70 years I am to start a new life , should be interesting. :o

Just one query .Why does it save you a lot of money having it paid into a Thai Bank ?

As Bank interest rates on savings here are so poor in Thailand. I have my pension paid into my Oz Building Society Pensioner account with no fees and a reasonable interest rate compared with Thailand. I withdraw 20,000 baht a time from an ATM which only incurs a $5 withdrawal fee.

Good luck at 70 you are just a kid !!!

My point about milking the system was a blanket statement to avoid getting into a slanging match with any particular member, a bit of a ' IF THE CAP FITS ,WEAR IT ' statement.

Of course it was not aimed at the genuine retiree who meets the OAP criteria who make up the majority of claimants, they are generally satisfied with their lot and have no reason to bitch on TV.

Your statement re Medicare and Healthcare is not quite true, because you receive a pension and choose to live in another country does not mean you are written off .

Case in point, I had lived in S/E Asia for 8 years when I started having major heart seizures last year ,I could not afford the 1.8 mill baht they wanted here for the procedure so I flew to Oz , they arranged a new Medicare number and operated the same day I arrived and I flew back here 12 days later ,cost to me was my airfare. Cant get much fairer than that IMHO .

well thats very good news,but my main beef was the requirement to return to OZ for a period of 2 years to re qualify because i had left the country before age 65,and during that 2 year period am not allowed to leave otherwise the 2 year period will begin again on my return,essentially i believe this not to be a reasonable requirement,specially as i already qualify having worked and paid tax for over 30 years.

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

Just one query .Why does it save you a lot of money having it paid into a Thai Bank ?

As Bank interest rates on savings here are so poor in Thailand. I have my pension paid into my Oz Building Society Pensioner account with no fees and a reasonable interest rate compared with Thailand. I withdraw 20,000 baht a time from an ATM which only incurs a $5 withdrawal fee.

It only saves you the withdrawal fee from what I can see.

For the last 8 years I have done the same as you currently do ,but my motivation to change it was the difficulty of getting new access card every two years from NAB in Oz. I have no contact s in Oz to send them on to me and NAB will not send them overseas in the mail.

Cheers,

VOICEOVER.

It only saves you the withdrawal fee from what I can see.

For the last 8 years I have done the same as you currently do ,but my motivation to change it was the difficulty of getting new access card every two years from NAB in Oz. I have no contact s in Oz to send them on to me and NAB will not send them overseas in the mail.

Understand your predicament. The Oz Building Societys are pretty good to seniors. No charges if you dont exceed 6 transactions a mth, reasonably good interest rate about 5.5% I think now , and my VISA DEBIT card lasts for 3 years. Plus they post a monthly statement, as they are forced to do my law, and of course you can check transactions and whether your pension hits your account on time by internet. I hate Oz Banks with a passion and the interest paid by Thai banks is a joke.Lastly I did receive a letter from the Building Society recently which advised that due to the OVERWHELMING AMOUNT OF CREDIT CARD FRAUD IN THAILAND THAT I CONSIDER CANCELLING MY CARD. I only use at Bank ATMs INSIDE the building and never in shops.

quote "samuibeachcomber"

well thats very good news,but my main beef was the requirement to return to OZ for a period of 2 years to re qualify because i had left the country before age 65,and during that 2 year period am not allowed to leave otherwise the 2 year period will begin again on my return,essentially i believe this not to be a reasonable requirement,specially as i already qualify having worked and paid tax for over 30 years.

Are you sure that you are not allowed to leave the country AT ALL during these 2 years?

I thought and it has been reported here before, that the onus was on a person to prove that they were essentially resident in Australia during the 2 years.

Surely if you were only taking holidays out of Australia, even to Thailand, it wouldn't be hard to prove that times away were NORMAL recreational holidays or family visits. It's not illegal is it in 2009 to have some family overseas?

With due respect........ if it's as you say, that we are virtually prisoners on our own soil for 2 years, there should and surely will be an outcry from many and I would say we'd have a reasonable chance of such a draconian measure being overturned, given responsible voices in the right ears!

ok fishhooks you raise a good point,but i read somewhere on this thread exactly that,but you would think going overseas during that period for a holiday would be reasonable enough,and maybe it is.An email to centrelink hobart should clear that up.I still think it unreasonable to expect someone in my position to have to upend my life here to return to australia for 2 years to re qualify even though i have worked/paid taxes for the qualifying time of 30+ years.that would mean going to have to look for work again and in part start a new life again.

I'm not disagreeing with you, my point only is that I can't see in any way Centrelink having a rule which says you must remain glued to Australia with no absenses for this controversial 2 year period.

There was another member here who had to go to a lot of trouble to prove that he was essentially "Australian" by being in Australia for an amount of the time during his 2 year probation period.

But I'm also fairly sure that he was still free to come and go for "periods" (Duration of which, I'm not sure)

I believe there is an actual law that states that an applicant for the OAP must be mainly resident in Australia for 2 years prior to being entitled to receive same and it would be hard if not impossible to change it.

My point is there should also be a formula which determines that 'should' you leave Australia for short periods, it should be made clear just what these periods are to be, each time or total.

I too (and have bit.hed about it here before) cannot understand, if you have done your time at home over your working life and as you say paid your dues, it should matter not where you decide to settle after qualification.

Many strong voices brought together responsibly, may in the long run do some good.

A few months ago Centrelink did offer some advice on this thread which was warmly appreciated, but it seems they have come and gone.

Unfortunately the question some of us are asking about time versus feet on Australian soil around the time of Pension application, is still unanswered!

I think your problem seems to be that you are or have been out of the lucky country for too long?

krading:

I think you are right, if you are on a Disability Pension they actually make it harder for you to keep receiving it than if you have been classed as on Old Age Pensioner and getting it as an OAP is hard enough as it is.

SO KEEP HEALTHY, if you aren't well they'll make you more sick perhaps with Clinical Anxiety.

You are more sure to get a pension if you are old, than if you are old and disabled.

Archived