Contact Lenses

cneuy3

Just made a recent move. During the move some of my Thai friends accidently throw out $300 worth of disposable contacts. It was an accident but just the same I'm a little irritated. More at the situation than them as I don't have an optomitrist out here and I'm hoping it wont be a complicated procedure to replace my contacts.

Here are some facts.....

1) I used a brand called Sofmed 55 made from a company called Ocular Sciences Inc located in San Francisco, CA. They were soft contact lenses and the disposable after 2 week variety.

2) My right eye was -4.75 and my left eye was -4.50. I'm not sure if the same scale of measurement is used out here but I still have the boxes just the same.

My questions:

Where would be a good place to replace these lenses? I realize that I may not be able to get the same brand but I believe the same style would be preferable since that's what's been in my eyes over the last 3 or 4 years. I live near Central on Huay Kaew and I believe there is an eye place in there. Recommend?

What kind of cost am I looking at for say a 3 month supply or six month supply of disposable contacts? Will I have to pay to see an optomitrist? If I would want to see one how much would it cost?

Just looking for someone that maybe has went through an eye doctor/eye place out here in thailand to give me some insight. Thanks.

~cneuy3

Beautiful Optical on the first floor in KSG Central supplies several brands. Find the Bata shoe shop towards the rear on the left and then walk round around the corner and you'll see the store on your left. I use Focus Dailies and get a month's supply for around 1100 bht - ask for their discount card for 10% off. There is no shortage of other places around town although I was looking for disposable progressives and that's about the only thing I couldn't find but most other types can be got without difficulty. They'll do a free eye exam if you need your prescription checking but it's not of the same thoroughness as I'm used to in the UK. If you're happy to stay with what you've got then just take the boxes along and they'll supply you.

By the way, they sell a brand called DUNA which is a bit cheaper than the Dailies but I found them uncomfortable and changed back after a few days. Focus are a J&J brand and very reliable.