Run Vista 120 Days Legal!

Guest Reimar

For those of you who want to test Vista for a longer period, a max of 120 days, there is a legal way how to do so.

The whole procedure is quite easy and need just normal computer skills.

Ok, I'll show the simple steps how to get Vista in any of it's versions to run for an Period of max. 120 days. All you need is an Vista DVD.

Best is to start a clean installation and NOT an upgrade.

Step 1: Boot from DVD and follow the Screens until you come to the point to keyin the CD-Key. Choose NOT to keyin the CD-key to start Vista as PID-less installation. This installation is good for 30 days;

Step 2: Before the end of the 30 days (day 29 or 30) you need to re-arm Vista and you can do that a total of 3 times. To run slmgr /rearm you need to run regedit and navigate to HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionSL. Check that the value for 'skiprearm' is set to '0'. In case the value isn't 0 the 're-arm' will NOT reset the the activation timer.

Step 3: To access slmgr.vbs you need to open a command prompt. This could be done by click on Start Menu ->All Programs ->Accessoires and Right Click on Command Prompt and Run as Administrator. Typ slmgr.vbs /re-arm to reset the Timer to 0.

CAUTION: You need to wait for the note that the process is completed which need may a minute or two.

Step 4: After the re-arm is completed you need to restart the computer to get the 'new' period of 30 days to run. There will be not any other changes make.

You will have a complete of 120 Days for to 'test' Vista: 1. Firsdt clean installation and 3 times 're-arm'!

But keep in mind, this method works only if you do NOT keyin a Product Key within Installation.

Have Fun and Happy Testing.

Cheers.

Doesn't really seem legal. If MS wanted people to have 120 days then they would have built it into the software. This is just another hack/crack like timestop. Nothing more, nothing less.

You're totally wrong.

This is an advkice from the MS Windows Beta Team itself and you can check with MS for the legal status of this!

Better to get the real info before post such comments!

By the way: Want or NOT Want, why MS allowed to re-arm the time period 3 times?! If MS don't wat that, why MS introduce the re-arm command?!

Cheers!

Doesn't really seem legal. If MS wanted people to have 120 days then they would have built it into the software. This is just another hack/crack like timestop. Nothing more, nothing less.

The unlimited re-arm patch is illegal, but the 120 grace period vbs file seems to have approval from MS.

You're right and the way I posted is the 120 Days grace period!

Reimar, where can I download a legal version of Vista that I can test?

May you believe me or not but you can download Vista from Microsoft itself and use the way I posted. You can even buy an " copy" of an Vista DVD and use that one.

All Vista 32 Bit versions on one DVD the only things you need to do is to choose wich version you like to install. But as I wrote before, don't keyin any CD-Key/Product Key!

Cheers.

Maybe it's me but never seen a free download of Vista from MS, since it went retail. Reimar, would you be able to post a link to the MS try then buy download?

Regards

With an MSDN sub you can (I assume mines expired) DL a vista image..

Tho 'free' would hardly apply in that situation but its not that hard to have MSDN access..

Of course theres a multitude of illegitimate DL options but all with associated risks..

What's the best way to get a real OEM version here in Thailand? I want (well I don't but getting xp now would be stupid) Vista Home Premium on my new computer. I guess buying a license key in $ might be cheaper than THB. How did you guys do it?

The prices here in Thailand are ridiculous. They have cut the prices for vista in China by 50% a couple of months ago while they still charge 170$ for the Home Premium Edition here while it is just 110$ in the US.

I don't get that. Pretty stupid to price an operating system so high in Thailand while there are new cracked Vista versions with all the latest updates coming out every month. I will either go for xp or let someone from the States buy it for me.

Again I ask: Reimar can you provide us with a link where we can down a free legal test version of Vista?

Sometime I'm out or have a lot work to do and no time to answer or do the work which you can do by yourself. Just came back 5 min. ago.

Some few weeks (app. middle Dec. 2007) ago I posted the link already, just search the forum.

Thanks.

Edit: Just checked the first site of this forum and have to realize you're unable to reading! Better take a closer look!!

Edited by Reimar

Yes I cannot read and search, Reimar, can you please provide a link to a free test version of Vista?

May tomorrow I'll re-write my post in an different spelling so you understand what I talking about and I'll NOT post a Link but will try to submit an idea to you how to search for what you're looking for.

God Night!

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/bb736012.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en

the only way i know how to download vista for free is in a virtual disk. Second link above. If you have an msdn subscription you could have downloaded the beta versions but I think they are all expired right now.

Of course if you already have a copy of vista then you can get a discount on up to five more licenses, dont pay the full price for a new copy..........

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...se/default.mspx

As for getting a legit copy in thailand - i download all the software from microsoft directly rather than "trust" the local vendors.

Edited by dsys

Why would anyone want to buy Vista until they have ironed out some of the really basic bugs, like not even recognising MS's own ergonomic Keyboard? What I want is MS to bring out a bug-free and fully functional version of XP, and come to think of it, 98 and 95. They have been fiddling around with it long enough (5 years). Sorry I am the the achitypal 'Grumpy old man' or/and 'Victor Meldrew'.

Why I should pay full price and become a member of the softwear testing team, without being paid for my efforts, really annoys me. It's a ploy to get you to upgrade other major pieces of software.

I'll wait a year (or more) until I find an application that actually delivers some fundamental improvements in what it will do. I bought Office Professional 2007 and have found that they have completely changed the menuing system and the manual, is monumentally minimal and dire! (Incidentally, 2007 does NOT provide with an option to use the old menuing system ...) I also gather that the big companies have applied so much pressure that XP is going to be supported for a further 4-5 years.

Sorry, but if you want Vista just because it's the newest thing on the block, I would also you also install the previous version so when Vista does 'Nasties' you still have a properly functioning PC. It seems to me a case of rewriting the OS just for the sake of it.

Why would anyone want to buy Vista until they have ironed out some of the really basic bugs, like not even recognising MS's own ergonomic Keyboard? What I want is MS to bring out a bug-free and fully functional version of XP, and come to think of it, 98 and 95. They have been fiddling around with it long enough (5 years). Sorry I am the the achitypal 'Grumpy old man' or/and 'Victor Meldrew'.

Why I should pay full price and become a member of the softwear testing team, without being paid for my efforts, really annoys me. It's a ploy to get you to upgrade other major pieces of software.

I'll wait a year (or more) until I find an application that actually delivers some fundamental improvements in what it will do. I bought Office Professional 2007 and have found that they have completely changed the menuing system and the manual, is monumentally minimal and dire! (Incidentally, 2007 does NOT provide with an option to use the old menuing system ...) I also gather that the big companies have applied so much pressure that XP is going to be supported for a further 4-5 years.

Sorry, but if you want Vista just because it's the newest thing on the block, I would also you also install the previous version so when Vista does 'Nasties' you still have a properly functioning PC. It seems to me a case of rewriting the OS just for the sake of it.

sorry off topic but.........

(Incidentally, 2007 does NOT provide with an option to use the old menuing system ...)

Try this http://www.addintools.com/english/menuoffice/ or this http://toolbartoggle.com/

Why I should pay full price and become a member of the softwear testing team, without being paid for my efforts

That can be annoying opensource is the way to go on this.

like not even recognising MS's own ergonomic Keyboard?

Which keyboard? http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/3...d4000_0704A.pdf

AlexLah:

As wrote yesterday night, here the different ways to get a copy of Vista for installation and to run for a max of 120 days.

All the contents I post here are official on the internet and I just copy and paste without any modification. All you have to do is to choose the way you want to go and you have to it on your own. I'll NOT provide you with an direct link for which you asked several times. And please keep in mind that this is the last answer to you multiple question regarding the link.

Start of Copy Section

1. copy from: HERE

Getting a Trial Copy of Windows Vista

Windows Vista is the first Microsoft operating system to let you have a trial period. One of the questions that I get asked constantly is "Where do I get a copy of Vista?". This answer is less obvious.

If you have an MSDN license, you can download it from there and run it in trial mode. Most people don't have MSDN, however.

If you know somebody that has a copy of Vista, you can borrow the CD and use it to install in trial mode. As long as you aren't trying to use their serial number, there shouldn't be a problem with this.

There are various "other" ways to get a copy of the Vista CD. If you don't know what I mean, you should ask the person that everybody knows has a huge collection of downloaded content. I suspect they can hook you up, but remember it's just a trial copy. I don't advocate piracy.

Alternatively, you could buy a copy.

2. Copy from: HERE

Extend your Vista "Trial" to a 120 Days

Despite posts, warnings, pages, and articles to the contrary all over the web, Windows Vista does have a trial version. It may be hard to get your hands on a legal copy of the Vista DVD without resorting to illegal means, but once you do, you can legally use it for 120 days - fully sanctioned and supported by Microsoft itself. Just boot from the DVD, install without using a product key, and start using Windows. When your 30 day "grace period" prior to activation runs out, open up a command wind (Start -> Run -> cmd.exe) and type this in:

slmgr -rearm Then exit the command prompt, and you're done. It's that easy. You "rearm" your copy of Windows Vista like this 3 times, so (including the original 30 day trial), that's a 120 days total - ignoring the additional time you can by running it in "limited functionality" mode: when the ticker stops ticking and Aero dies out on you.

When the ticker stops ticking and you've rearmed Vista all you can, you then have two choices. Either format and reinstall, or get on the line with a Microsoft sales agent, and buy yourself a Vista license - if you get OEM you can save hundreds of dollars:

Vista Home Basic OEM - $100 <li>Vista Home Premium OEM - $120 <li>Vista Business OEM - $150 <li>Vista Ultimate OEM - $200 At any rate - at least you now have a choice. It's ironic given how Microsoft has just decimated everything most people know about upgrade licenses, but yes, now they're being lenient with you.

End of Copy Section.

There more ways, like to sign up with MSDN, but all of this you better find out by yourself instead for to try to push others to do the "work" for you. Nothing is free in the life and even if there is something announced for free, it isn't, there is something to pay for and that don't means money but some work, some initiative, some searching and and and!

I know that's it's much more easy for to let others do the required things for you which also give you the opportunity to complain pp, because NOT YOUR idea an NOT YOUR action and so on. But to do so is a very bad behaviour from my point of view.

Cheers.