Respected Critics Slams Thaksin In New Book

george

Authors, academics, monks try to expose Thailand's popular prime minister

BANGKOK: -- Thaksin Shinawatra, Thailand's powerful, multimillionaire prime minister, likes to portray himself as a self-made man from the backwoods, a future-looking CEO-type with great concern for the welfare of the people.

Not so, says a recent chorus of respected critics trying to expose "the real Thaksin" to a still largely admiring public through best-selling books, seminars and even the preaching of Buddhist monks.

"Thaksin's economic vision may be fixed on the future and the first world, but his social vision is medieval," says one of the books. "Thaksin has rolled back a quarter-century of democratic development."

The extract comes from "Thaksin, The Business of Politics in Thailand," which one newspaper columnist described as "Thailand's literary `Fahrenheit 9/11"' _ but minus the partisan thrust of the American documentary film about U.S. President George Bush.

Enjoying brisk local sales and slated for worldwide distribution, the book was authored by Thai economist Pasuk Phongpaichit and British historian Chris Baker. The husband-wife team at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University are known for their groundbreaking research into the dark, sometimes criminal, underpinnings of Thailand's economic and political world.

The book gives Thaksin his due for dynamism, achieving short-term economic recovery from the 1997 Asian financial crisis and being the first Thai leader to appeal directly to the rural masses with a policy platform. Noted is the innovative campaign which swept him and his Thai Rak Thai, or Thai Love Thai, party into power in 2001.

But the book also charts the rampant, old-fashioned cronyism and corrupt dealings beneath Thaksin's modern managerial surface, and the systematic construction of a political structure in which power is centralized in a single party, and Thaksin's own persona, while opposing voices are silenced.

In Thaksin's world, politics and business are intertwined "like Siamese twins," the authors say, detailing how the leader's own businesses have benefited. If the predictions of Shin Group _ the Thaksin family's flagship enterprise _ hold true, the company's revenues will have multiplied five times in the prime minister's four-year term.

The book retraces Thaksin's family history to his great-grandfather, who immigrated from China in the late 19th century and whose offspring made enough money and connections to give Thaksin a big head start.

Baker describes Thaksin's talk of youthful struggle as a "brilliant piece of political mythology."

The few books written about earlier Thai leaders, Baker says, were mostly "books their mothers would like to read."

But Thaksin has sparked a publishing phenomenon with shelves of books, from sycophantic to acidic, on the tycoon-turned-politician. "Ruthan Thaksin," or "Seeing Through Thaksin," penned by 16 prominent writers, is so successful that a second volume is being published.

The book's marketing blurb _ "Don't like Thaksin, you must read it. Like Thaksin, must read it even more" _ reflects the underlying motive for much of the criticism: Anti-Thaksin voices hope their revelations will undercut the prime minister's popularity, preventing what could be a massive victory in next year's election. Some predict radical change.

"Over the next four years, the social sector _ namely the media, academics and activists _ will join forces and revive the middle-class tradition of preserving democracy," social scientist Thirayuth Boonmi said recently.

Thirayuth, a leader of Thailand's 1973 pro-democracy uprising, warned that Thaksin's continued tenure could trigger "a gigantic social conflict, developing into a campaign against one-party rule."

Thaksin, previously quick and angry in responding to even slightly negative comments, has remained cool under fire while his spokesmen have denied charges of snuffing out democracy and committing human rights abuses _ including the killings of more than 2,500 suspected drug traffickers and minority Muslim protesters in this mostly Buddhist country.

Thaksin's party spokesman, Suranand Vejjajiva, acknowledges that Thailand hasn't reached full democracy, but says Thai Rak Thai is now the right vehicle for moving the country "from the old patronage system to the new politics."

But critics see a retrogression into the "dinosaur era" of autocracy and unbridled cronyism that could backfire on Thaksin.

"There's no real substance to democracy here, just the rhetoric. It's like a replay of the dictatorial regimes of the 1960s and 70s," Pasuk said at a recent panel discussion. "The business groups around Thaksin are getting greedier and greedier. The charmed circle is moving into finance, entertainment, property, tourism, education etc., etc., etc."

Even monks, normally expected stay out of politics, are weighing in.

"We cannot let the country be governed by immoral policies," said one respected cleric, Kittisak Kittosophano, referring to the regime's alleged human rights abuses.

--AP 2004-09-08

I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of this. Pasuk Phongpaichit's books are usually an interesting read. She's co-authored three other titles that I would recommend: Thailand's Boom and Bust (about the 1997 crash and also co-written with her husband), Corruption & Democracy in Thailand (pretty much as it sounds) and Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja (about the Thai underground economy).

hi'

do you think that we can find this book in europe?

I would like to read it ...

at first this man surprised me :o ... now far to be amazed, I compare him to the french extrem-right wing's "le pen" ... not funny at all :D

francois

do you think that we can find this book in europe?

I would like to read it ...

All of Pasuk Phongpaichit's books are published by Silkworm Books of Chiang Mai. There's a PDF order form on their website and they do ship. Do yourself a favour, take a reading tip from the OvenMan and also grab yourself a copy of Thailand's Boom and Bust if you place an order.

at first this man surprised me :D ... now far to be amazed, I compare him to the french extrem-right wing's "le pen" ... not funny at all :D

As for me, I'm getting a strange sense of deja vu ...

living in the Philippines in the late 1970's under the martial law of Ferdinand Marcos....

(may his corpse rot in ######). :o

Taskin fights back :o

With anti-Thaksin books dominating the best-seller charts in recent months, the government is distributing a limited-edition publication of 1,000 copies defending Thaksinomics to selected opinion leaders and analysts at home and abroad.

From the nation

With anti-Thaksin books dominating the best-seller charts in recent months, the government is distributing a limited-edition publication of 1,000 copies defending Thaksinomics to selected opinion leaders and analysts at home and abroad.

I'm sure that the lucky thousand recipients of this particular tome will feel uniquely blessed. :o

Are Asia Books still refusing to sell Phasuk and Baker's book? If so, what's the Asia Books connection and should we be taking our business elsewhere when buying books?

No idea but considering the way in which so many Thai businesses are interconnected, it would not surprise me to learn that they are owned by some Friend of Mr. Big.

Are Asia Books still refusing to sell Phasuk and Baker's book? If so, what's the Asia Books connection and should we be taking our business elsewhere when buying books?

I have long suspected a connection between ASia Books and the gov't. The stores are only in tourist areas and most of the books are either travel guides, books for reading on a plane or coffee table books - the big ones with lots of pictures (like foods in thailand or home fashion, etc.). In other words its like watching the English language news on channel 11 (brought to you by the public relations department -hint hint) - no news except for rosy business outlooks and advertisements for boring places around thailand.

go to kornikunia (sp??). at least they have real a selection of books that apply to people who have more than a passing interest in something.

I bought the Thaksin book at Bookaszine. they gave me the display copy from the counter and when I asked for a new one, they said it was the last one (SURE!!!)

Anyway, I haven't finished it yet.. too depressing. The man lies with a straight face. and its not even about a secret past... its well know all over. How could he be allowed to stay in office let alone be so well respected?

can we be deported for writing these messages?

can we be deported for writing these messages?

That thought has crossed my mind.... :o

So in order to balance my negative comments, may I add some positives about this fine man.......................................................

hmm.. give me a sec, ok?.......................

uhmmm........

gee, this one is a toughie....

ahhhh, i got it!......

naw, that's not really such a positive thing as much as a lesser degree negative....

gosh, someone help???

I bought my copy at Asia Books' Emporium branch last weekend. It's well worth reading.

hey taskin must be alright, he got off that court case from nicking all the mobile communication equipment off of that american, ok it took over 10 years and he was prime minister when it finally came to court, but im sure that the judges decisions were not based on him being prime minister and all that, and ###### it was only 10 million dollars worth of stuff anyway, just pocket change :o

I'm looking forward to picking up a copy of this. Pasuk Phongpaichit's books are usually an interesting read. She's co-authored three other titles that I would recommend: Thailand's Boom and Bust (about the 1997 crash and also co-written with her husband), Corruption & Democracy in Thailand (pretty much as it sounds) and Guns, Girls, Gambling, Ganja (about the Thai underground economy).

Yes, I loved "Corruption and Democracy in Thailand" (sorry, can't do italics on this computer right now).

The new book is good, and I recommend other books that are co-authored or translated by Chris Baker, like the "Thai Village Economy" of which the full title and author always eludes me. I also just finished reading "A Short History of Thailand" by David Wyatt, which was very good.

for a book about a politician it's immensely readable , almost can't put downable.

it gives in full his speech to the police commanders and district officers last year ordering them in no uncertain terms to go out there and rid the country of drugs , he literally tells them to go and kill and they will be rewarded with the siezed assets for doing so.

amazing stuff.

highly recommended for anyone with even a remote interest in the thai political system and the larger than life taksin.

The new book is good, and I recommend other books that are co-authored or translated by Chris Baker, like the "Thai Village Economy" of which the full title and author always eludes me.  I also just finished reading "A Short History of Thailand" by David Wyatt, which was very good.

Wyatt's book is also a good read although it's a little scant in regards the 1900's.

Yeah, I found some areas to also be a little scant, which is why it is considered a short history I guess. But it's always good to read other books to fill it out or to even notice gaps. Off the topic a little bit, I read "Sex and Borders" which gives a great historical account of the history of prostitution in Thailand and Thai sexual mores.

It's the tax put on the English written word in Thailand, which also makes the English dailies 150 % more than their Thai brethren. Not sure how it works on books exactly, but can't have the population exposed to too much evil foreign influence can you? They might start getting ideas.........

he literally tells them to go and kill and they will be rewarded with the siezed assets for doing so.

Not much different than the US. Anybody messes with the CIA's drug running gets offed. As far as assest forfeiture, do a Google for Auctions Asset Fortfeiture and the same thing is going on in the US, big time.

Thai government, US government War on Drugs, War on Crime, same thing, keeps the control of the dirty things in the hands of politicians, same same.

Picked it up in the bookshop in Chiang mai airport. It does not contain much more than one could have worked out through reading between the lines of the newspapers and listening to the Thai news.

It is however a good interesting read. It seems that he has hit on one crucial economic weakness in Thailand and somehow brainwashed the populace to change it's habits. Thailand had one of the highest realtive saving rates in the world, which one considers that pitiful average wages in Thailand was amazing.

He has somehow convinced the people to spend and spend and spend. He has lobbed Bht1m into the villages to further increase spending. The result, a domestic spending boom to move the economy as opposed to continually relying on export led growth.

What will happen when interest rates rise and all these new cars/houses and credit card bills have to paid is at best moderate repossessions (very difficult to achieve under thai law) or massive default on household debt, which is a very different situation to what happened in 1997 which was principally corporate default on USD loans.

As for the curbs on democracy and the freedom of the press, does anyone really think that most of the country gives a hoot, as long as jobs are being created, and monthly pay cheques are coming in.

His politics are a product of the crisis, which may well prove to have far longer longevity than even he thought possible. Thailand has changed. To decide for the better or worse, you should read the book and make your own decision, but believe me this man and his party are going to be around for at least as long as he wants it to be and maybe longer.

His politics are a product of the crisis, which may well prove to have far longer longevity than even he thought possible. Thailand has changed. To decide for the better or worse, you should read the book and make your own decision, but believe me this man and his party are going to be around for at least as long as he wants it to be and maybe longer.

Now - thats scary