Best Times Of Year To Look For Work In The Los

Harry Palmer

I'd say end of May ready for June/July! It seems to last longer with each passing year. Schools used to be desperate around June, but sorted for July. Now it seems they're desperate pretty much throughout June/July and even into August!

Crap times are probably around now (although there's always something available), and December isn't too hot either!

I'd say that alot of schools start to look around Feb through to May. Some schools have summer camps in March and April. So are sometimes looking for staff then. Also alot of schools will want to see you teach. So obviously this is when theres kids at school.

well i would say the teachers demand has to be highest during the low season when gals aint getting the punters in so to speak, i mean all the gals know that teachers are cheap charlies and avoid them during the high season when they can get proper faraNGS, but i have heard that during the low season even gogo gals stoop as low as to go with english teachers to buy a bit of rice and that :o

Barney, that's only folks like the Nemster who think real Thais treat them with scorn- the rest of us teachers ALWAYS go for REAL NICE Thais (just like Pudgi!).

But to stay on topic...

Most Thai managed schools do not think of the future, perhaps CANNOT think of the future, even to save their lives/careers/jobs/departments. In at least 2 jobs I've had here, I've been hired within 2 weeks of the beginning of classes. Never mind the mess this makes of visa paperwork and work permit legalities, think of the mess it leaves EP programs in as teachers change unpredictably year after year (if they're lucky and it's not month after month).

Part of the problem is that the system hasn't realized yet that it's underpriced QUALITY/QUALIFIED teachers, especially in the non-English subjects- so it's a workers' market everytime a slightly better wage is offered. Considering how well the Thais understand a market economy, they should have the 2004-2005 situation sorted out, oh, at least by 2020.

:o

"Steven"

Government (prathom and matayom) school years start about the second or third week of May, so they start seriously looking for teachers when they get back from their summer holidays, late April and early May. it takes many of them a while to get organized, as if they'd never hired a farang before ("Ohmigod, it's a new school year, tomorrow! I wonder what I should do?). I was hired the Friday before the first classes started on Monday.

The mid-year ends in late Sept-early October and second 'semester' begins in late October. There are odd vacancies due to quits and fires throughout the year, but there's nothing large or regular about that. OTOH, lots of 'new hires' in mid-May never show up or quit soon thereafter, so late May is good, too, because they're desparate for any warm body.