Thai Driving License

cnxmike

Today I heard a very strange story. As you all probably know: To obtain a Thai driving license you need to bring a statement that you have an adress in Thailand, in our case in Chiang Mai. Usually those with a visa from the Thai immigration get it from there.

Now somebody told me, who tried to get this statement, that he was told, that he first has to pass a test that he is able to speak some Thai. This guy is now living in Chiang Mai since almost 2 years on a retirement visa and planned to change his international driving license into a Thai driving license.

I just can't believe it. He must be kidding. Or are there any changes?

Edited by cnxmike

To obtain a Certificate of Residence from Immigration, there is no such requirement.

I have got 4 of them in the last year, most recently on 2 Jan 08 (2 weeks ago) at Chiang Mai Immigration.

Sound like your friend misinterpreted something said to him....

Nah you can get a letter from your consulate in Chiang mai, in my case it was the Australian one. Very simple to get the letter, then it was just a case of showing the letter from consulate, your international license, my aussie license (not sure if this was necessary but i brought it along anyway), the green book that said i owned my bike and i had to do a pretty funny little test to get my thai car license, the one with the ropes and a few colour tests.

I've got the card from the aussie consulate somewhere, so PM me if you need the details of it.

I know someone he has a driving license from Europe, he need only to translate his license in Thai or English and register it. He has Thai driving license for 1 year and he doesn't need to make examination, only check about eyes how good he can see and problem about color. Sorry my English is not good.

You have to pay only 100 baht or a little more and make a few foto (in size that they need). It will take time about half day if you go there with all papers tha they need.