Time To Start Packing!

YangYaiEric

Hey guys!

The US $ is now officially listed at BHT29.5 ! What the hel_l is going on? Last month it was listed at BHT30.5, and it seems to be declining further!

The time has come to SERIOUSLY think about packing the bags and heading home! :o

Hey guys!

The US $ is now officially listed at BHT29.5 ! What the hel_l is going on? Last month it was listed at BHT30.5, and it seems to be declining further!

The time has come to SERIOUSLY think about packing the bags and heading home! :o

Bugger me. A whole 1 Baht.

Can we assume that Thailand is not home.

Bon Voyage.

Kuwaiti Dinars is the currency to go for. (HOT TIP)

Edited by Shrubbery

kash is king :-)

I have to disagree.

I have a friend who has a friend, who has an uncle, who has an aunt, who has a grandmother, who has a step brother, who has a great grandfather, who knows a guy on a local market, who says Durians will be used as cash in the next 17 days.

Buy as many Durians as you can.

is that the Kuwaiti Durian ?

Ahhhhh, a new currency.

Now that could be worth investing in.

Does anyone want to go in to business selling "fruit trees" to Kuwait.

I was offering 2 possibilities for investment. Now we have 3.

I will talk to the my friend who knows ...............

Hey guys!

That rate is only if your sending money back to America. Still almost identical rate as July 07. A little less than a baht.

i don't know anyone in Thailand sending money they made here home. Sure would like to figure out that trick! When it crashes at about 15 baht maybe i will consider going back to a country working on a recession.

Still a way better bargain here!!!!!

Hey guys!

That rate is only if your sending money back to America. Still almost identical rate as July 07. A little less than a baht.

i don't know anyone in Thailand sending money they made here home. Sure would like to figure out that trick! When it crashes at about 15 baht maybe i will consider going back to a country working on a recession.

Just did a check and actually the USD gets you 2.4 baht less today than July 2007, meaning a difference of about 7%. If you were on a fixed income as many retirees are and you lost 7% of your income and then factored in increased prices due to inflation as well as increasing oil prices then maybe you too would start to feel the pain that many with US dollar denominated pensions / investments are.

Hey guys!

Just did a check and actually the USD gets you 2.4 baht less today than July 2007, meaning a difference of about 7%. If you were on a fixed income as many retirees are and you lost 7% of your income and then factored in increased prices due to inflation as well as increasing oil prices then maybe you too would start to feel the pain that many with US dollar denominated pensions / investments are.

You need to check offshore rates. I think it is posted here I just traded at 33+a week ago.

True comparing to 42-1 or 40-1 it is weaker but your dollar has not gone down but 1 baht if sent TO Thailand. If you send money home is when you get killed. Your SS is worth 1 baht to a dollar less this last year. Now if you were to return to the U.S your dollar in the bank in U.S. would be eaten up & you would notice the huge gap in funds. Offshore & Onshore

horses & trees. Your not losing money here trust me on this one. As long as the rate hovers at 33 you are still in way better shape than if you go home & rent a car for a week in the U.S. That is when you notice the most how little the dollar is worth. Less wages & higher cost of everything & tough to make money! I thought the same thing till I talked to Citibank in California & was told as long as I am sending money to Thailand your rate is still 33+. the 2.4 baht is only when you cash out & turn Thai baht back to usd.

Hey guys!

The US $ is now officially listed at BHT29.5 ! What the hel_l is going on?

these official listings are a real shame! they are not only immoral but also illegal as they violate international law (i think). perhaps we should contact the U.N. Security Council and demand sanctions against these official listing sites? for starters a couple of cruise missiles on these official listings sites wouldn't hurt either. :o

but there is hope on the horizon! U.S. Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson started a campaign. his words day before yesterday "I'd begin with and say that given my background in the capital markets, it was very easy for me to say a strong dollar is in our nation's interest because I know it is." :D

Hey guys!

Why choose the arbitary date just after the East Asian Financial Crisis with 40 THB to the USD?

Yopu could have chosen the 50THB rate - any analysis based on an arbitarily chosen date is meaningless.

Sunrise was alluding to the 25 THB to the USD prior to that which did last for a much longer period than the previous 10 years.

I thought the same thing till I talked to Citibank in California & was told as long as I am sending money to Thailand your rate is still 33+. the 2.4 baht is only when you cash out & turn Thai baht back to usd.

that is not correct Beardog and Shittybank has given you wrong information. the difference in onshore selling and buying rate for transfers is much lower, presently ~20 Satangs = 0.2 Baht per US-Dollar.

check out:

http://www.scb.co.th/html/exchange/bk-txtexchange.htm

p.s. the offshore/onshore rubbish which continously surfaces here in postings is more irritating than the ever changing visa rules :o

It's recession, do seriously think you get more for the dollar at home?!

It depends where in the US his home is. Living costs in Appalachia are quite cheap; in places like Boston and San Francisco they are quite high.

I just sent bucks from the US to Bangkok Bank. The money hit my account this past Friday (the 11th). I got 32.96.

Hope this helps.

I'm also tired of seeing the 'official' offshore rates. A joke methinks.

brit has it right. Still a good deal for Yanks. I'm greedy like everyone else though and hope in a few years it swings the other way (or at least gets stable).

• 2 months later...

I am here for the long haul. My wife and son are Thai as are all her family. I have a son and some friends in the UK and absolutely no reason to go back.

Don't want to and don't need to.

I still use my rose tinted glasses now and again but my family and home are in Thailand.

A bit off subject, but does anyone know of any laws in the US or Thailand that restrict how much money one can bring in, or wire to a Thai bank account? The money is mine, but a greedy ex wants to dip some more. I's rather spend it myself in the LOS....

It is good news actually! A lot of European and Chinese companies will buy up even more American companies.

American new order imperialism seems to fail due to a not too effective government.

But hey, that what they voted for. Thailand has Samak, US has Bush. :o

It is good news actually! A lot of European and Chinese companies will buy up even more American companies.

American new order imperialism seems to fail due to a not too effective government.

Yes as I said elsewhere - I think we are seeing the start of the relative decline of the USA - it will still be the biggest economy in the world for a few decades but others will accelerate their catch up from now on in.

Just as 1870 can be seen as the year the British relative decline began and "The end of the "British Century"" we can look at 2000, 2003 or 2008 as the beginning of the end of the, "American Century" - the Asian hordes are coming guy's.

kash is king :-)

I have to disagree.

I have a friend who has a friend, who has an uncle, who has an aunt, who has a grandmother, who has a step brother, who has a great grandfather, who knows a guy on a local market, who says Durians will be used as cash in the next 17 days.

Buy as many Durians as you can.

I think i used to date the sister of the guy on the local market and she said he doesn't know siht :o

Yes as I said elsewhere - I think we are seeing the start of the relative decline of the USA - it will still be the biggest economy in the world for a few decades but others will accelerate their catch up from now on in.

Just as 1870 can be seen as the year the British relative decline began and "The end of the "British Century"" we can look at 2000, 2003 or 2008 as the beginning of the end of the, "American Century" - the Asian hordes are coming guy's.

Well at least you can then happily see what you got coming, a whole bunch of Samaks, and no checks and balances at all. Cheers.

Hey guys!