More Violence, 1 Killed 2 Injured,

mikethevigoman

Thailand is and has long been an extremely violent, brutal society in contrast to what some of the gullible "I feel so much safer in the Land of Smiles" lot believe. The tourist areas though are still reasonably safe and all these incidents were Thai-on-Thai brutality of the type that has been going on since long before any of us arrived. So no, it's not getting worse - it's just continuing as normal.

Thailand is and has long been an extremely violent, brutal society in contrast to what some of the gullible "I feel so much safer in the Land of Smiles" lot believe. The tourist areas though are still reasonably safe and all these incidents were Thai-on-Thai brutality of the type that has been going on since long before any of us arrived. So no, it's not getting worse - it's just continuing as normal.

It is getting worse and not only "Thai-on-Thai". Read the following article from "The Independent"

Britons Murdered in Thailand

the first crime happened, according to police, in one of the karaoke bars ove some shady deals.

the second crime happened after 2 bar girls drove for an arranged meeting with their clients somewhere in the bushes.

the third crime happened to the suspected thief.

don't deal drugs, don't sell your body in the bushes, don't steal from somebody - and you should be fine.

your title exagerated and allarmistic - more like about problems in the south

Thanks for that, i feel a lot better :o

the first crime happened, according to police, in one of the karaoke bars ove some shady deals.

the second crime happened after 2 bar girls drove for an arranged meeting with their clients somewhere in the bushes.

the third crime happened to the suspected thief.

don't deal drugs, don't sell your body in the bushes, don't steal from somebody - and you should be fine.

your title exagerated and allarmistic - more like about problems in the south

So ,its a bed of roses here .marvellous. ( ps. i asked is it ?, not it is ! )

It is getting worse and not only "Thai-on-Thai". Read the following article from "The Independent"

Britons Murdered in Thailand

"Andy Pearce, the deputy head of mission at the British Embassy in Bangkok, admits that the murder rate of Britons resident in Thailand is about the same as the domestic Thai rate – roughly five times higher than in the UK – but adds that this is only an estimate."

I wonder what the "I feel so much safer" crowd make of this one.

Dear oh dear, mind you Pattaya is full of scum Brits.
I am english, BUT i have to confess this place seems to attract all the lowlifes,.must be getting quite peaceful in the uk because its packed with them here ! :D

I'm English too and am sad to say these sad pathetic individuals deserve what they get, please all Thais reading this, don't tar us all with the same brush! :o

I am english, BUT i have to confess this place seems to attract all the lowlifes,.must be getting quite peaceful in the uk because its packed with them here ! :o

It used to be you sent them to Oz, now they pay their own way to Patters.

I am english, BUT i have to confess this place seems to attract all the lowlifes,.must be getting quite peaceful in the uk because its packed with them here ! :D

heh heh heh heh :o

• 4 weeks later...
I am english, BUT i have to confess this place seems to attract all the lowlifes,.must be getting quite peaceful in the uk because its packed with them here ! :o

wherever the white man goes ruin will surely follow.

• 3 weeks later...

Hitler 10 million dead.

Stalin 30 million dead

Mao 70 million dead

:o

I don't think we got anything to teach them that they don't already know.

Hitler 10 million dead.

Stalin 30 million dead

Mao 70 million dead

Although not pemier league dear old Pol Pot didn't do a bad job.

Been going to Pattaya for 16 years, 12 of which I was resident, and crime with it's attendant bad guys has always been present. Thing was all those years ago we never had the internet or e mail (life without the internet :D , que horreur!) so we relied on the local news both English and Thai (what we could make of it). Nowadays every incident gets done to death on fora like ThaiVisa with everyone running around in circles screaming "the sky is falling".

Truth is that crime is ever present in virtually all societies but Pattaya, being the honey pot for dodgy characters that it is, has a disproportionately larger share. If you avoid getting involved with dealing in suspicious substances, with suspicious characters, at suspicious times of the night chances are you'll never have any bother. Of course that doesn't cover petty crime or chance incidents but these can happen anywhere just like Pai, Kanchanaburi etc. Take normal precautions you would anywhere in the world, avoid seemingly too good to be true deals and if you are a night owl avoid dark alleys and you'll probably never run into any trouble.

btw I've just spent a week in Pattaya and, although not major league, was out way past the witching hour on several occasions and heard no gunfire, grenade blasts or screams of anguish. There were no dead bodies cluttering up the sois nor pools of blood to skirt around and I never witnessed any fights or disagreements but I did avoid soi Buakhaw which, by all accounts, is Dodge City mark II. :D

Soi buakaow is okay. If you remember that semi-elderly Englishman who got

assaulted with rocks, this is a well-lit, very populated area. Even at 2am, there

must have been 20 witnesses to this event. Bars, restaurants, guesthouses all

over the place. The one problem seems to be the karaoke bars and the large

number of really young kids with hot-tempers on the yaba amphetamines.

The other problem of course is nobody ever wants to get involved. Unless you've

brought some mates with you, you're on your own. Nobody will lift a finger to help,

maybe partly because if you strike a Thai you're going to jail, right or wrong. And

of course I guess the no-holds barred style of fighting is not for everyone. I've

already witnessed some of these gang beatings and it turns my stomach. It's wrong.

• 2 months later...

Hitler 10 million dead.

Stalin 30 million dead

Mao 70 million dead

Although not pemier league dear old Pol Pot didn't do a bad job.

Been going to Pattaya for 16 years, 12 of which I was resident, and crime with it's attendant bad guys has always been present. Thing was all those years ago we never had the internet or e mail (life without the internet :D , que horreur!) so we relied on the local news both English and Thai (what we could make of it). Nowadays every incident gets done to death on fora like ThaiVisa with everyone running around in circles screaming "the sky is falling".

Truth is that crime is ever present in virtually all societies but Pattaya, being the honey pot for dodgy characters that it is, has a disproportionately larger share. If you avoid getting involved with dealing in suspicious substances, with suspicious characters, at suspicious times of the night chances are you'll never have any bother. Of course that doesn't cover petty crime or chance incidents but these can happen anywhere just like Pai, Kanchanaburi etc. Take normal precautions you would anywhere in the world, avoid seemingly too good to be true deals and if you are a night owl avoid dark alleys and you'll probably never run into any trouble.

btw I've just spent a week in Pattaya and, although not major league, was out way past the witching hour on several occasions and heard no gunfire, grenade blasts or screams of anguish. There were no dead bodies cluttering up the sois nor pools of blood to skirt around and I never witnessed any fights or disagreements but I did avoid soi Buakhaw which, by all accounts, is Dodge City mark II. :D

This is true - although I think in Pattaya there is still a certain number of crimes - against foreigners as well as Thais - that don't get reported anywhere for one reason or another.

The problem nowadays appears to be Bangkok and other up-country areas that don't have any english language weeklies reporting local crimes. (Pattaya has The Pattaya Mail - Pattaya People - Pattaya Today and their attendant television outlets.)

What does Bangkok have?

Apart from the occasionally inadequate and infrequent reporting of The Post and The Nation.

Where the vast majority of violent crimes go unreported.

[

This is true - although I think in Pattaya there is still a certain number of crimes - against foreigners as well as Thais - that don't get reported anywhere for one reason or another.

The problem nowadays appears to be Bangkok and other up-country areas that don't have any english language weeklies reporting local crimes. (Pattaya has The Pattaya Mail - Pattaya People - Pattaya Today and their attendant television outlets.)

What does Bangkok have?

Apart from the occasionally inadequate and infrequent reporting of The Post and The Nation.

Where the vast majority of violent crimes go unreported.

In many international tourist resorts the local tabloids show restraint in reporting crimes that can affect the tourist industry. Local newspapers and TV in Pattaya go out of their way to cause as much damage as possible by painting the place as a hot-bed for crime. Suicide reporting is really out of hand.

Edited by tropo