Bolt Will Not Come Loose.

BEENTHEREDONETHAT

Work on the treadmill is held up until tomorrow as I need a new spanner to try Daffy's suggestion of taking a spanner one size too small and beating it down over the bolt head. I will try that in conjunction with Cubans idea of the heat and cold. If those don't work I will have to resort to Goldfishes idea of useing the grinder and cutting it off. But since I don't have much of a selection of tools this will have to wait until morning.

One point of interest.Jetsetbkk suggested useing Vixol toilet cleaner. Didn't have any Vixol but the wife dug out the Duck and applied a bit of that to the bolt. It was black before the toilet cleaner and clear steel after so it seems it would have loosened up anything holding it from turning.

The motor sits in tracks to keep it from shifting during operation so it won't budge until all four bolts are out. In fact it is so boxed in it will be quite a challenge to grind it off without cutting anything else.

Hauling it off to one of the local shops is pretty much out of the question as we are on the 9th floor and it will not fit in the elevator, it took four guys to move it up here from our container. They weren't happy.

Will bring everyone interested up to date tomorrow after I scrounge up what I need.

Two pages already on one poxy bold, good effort. :o:D

If all it's doing is holding on the motor check that there's not a tack weld at the back of the bolt hole. good chance one of the studs had a tack to stop the motor comming loose due to vibration.

This is the most..riveting (cough,cough),thread ive seen in a long while.It has everything from KY jelly & toilet cleaner to Lord Buddha.I think we need an update.

If you are anything like the animals i used to work with you would have tossed away the spanners after 5 minutes & cut the darn thing off with the gas bottles. :o

Anyway back to the nuts & bolts.

Can you get at the bolt ends or do they screw into the casing?If you can get at the bolt ends & they are long enough to lock two nuts on the end maybe you can use them like you would a bolt head,& loosen the thing up abit with alot of wd40.

Clean, lubricate and refit the other 3 bolts, tighten down, as i understand, the 4th bolt head is rounded off, ok, get the vise grips on it, now is there a bulge where the bolt thread enters, if so, get somebody to apply pressure on the vise grips while you hit the bulge with a hammer/hammer and flat end punch, this should jar the bolt loose, good luck, Lickey..

any ladies reading this thread must be laughing there heads off,the trouble is if you asked them what they would do..theyd say get a guy in to do it!!!!!!

i think i would join a gym......seems the right option at this point!!!! motor might be fcuked anyways

at least you getting a good arm workout!

Edited by tattoodrob

I like this thread as it's one of the few interesting ones on TV at the moment!:o

Agreed. This thread is developing TV cult status.

Could someone sort out a range of supportive T shirts "I've gone Nuts over BeenThere's Bolt !"

....sorry back on track...

As the bolt head in getting rounded now a pipe wrench / stilson grips might be best to get a purchase on the rounded metal.

stilson_and_chain_wrenches.jpg

The problem I have found in Thailand is the quaility of tools is not so good, many machined tools appear to be made from simple cast iron (I'm thinking back to the milled teeth of a gear I saw fall apart under load) or nails I tried to used the other night from iron softer than the wood they were going into. (I ended up drilling pilot holes for them!)

THE TIGHT BOLT UPDATE

This morning I had a friend come over and provide a bit of additional muscle and brain power to work on the bolt. As Uptou suggested I took the hard plastic cover off the back off the treadmill so I could look at the back. It wasn't made to come off easily and unfortunately will be held in place by a whole lot of duct tape in addition to the screws. I was losing patiences with the dam_n thing. Anyhow we got the back off and could see the nuts were welded to the frame, and the end of the bastard bolt sticking out. We gave it a good dose of WD-40 and used a small bar to hold on the end of it while we gave it a good whack. We put the wrench on it and the bolt head turned quite easily. And the motor has been removed. :o:D:D:D:bah::D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I feel you guys deserve the

credit for getting that dam_n bolt off. I must say I have been

truly impressed at all the suggestions and encouragement.

Now hopefully the motor repair shop can get it working. I will

let everyone know the outcome of that.

Been There

THE TIGHT BOLT UPDATE

This morning I had a friend come over and provide a bit of additional muscle and brain power to work on the bolt. As Uptou suggested I took the hard plastic cover off the back off the treadmill so I could look at the back. It wasn't made to come off easily and unfortunately will be held in place by a whole lot of duct tape in addition to the screws. I was losing patiences with the dam_n thing. Anyhow we got the back off and could see the nuts were welded to the frame, and the end of the bastard bolt sticking out. We gave it a good dose of WD-40 and used a small bar to hold on the end of it while we gave it a good whack. We put the wrench on it and the bolt head turned quite easily. And the motor has been removed. :o:D:D:D:bah::D

Thanks for all the suggestions, I feel you guys deserve the

credit for getting that dam_n bolt off. I must say I have been

truly impressed at all the suggestions and encouragement.

Now hopefully the motor repair shop can get it working. I will

let everyone know the outcome of that.

Been There

thank god ....it was really getting me down and i wasnt sleeping very well but now it feels like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders.....now i feel like a young man on his first visit to pattaya ;)

on this occasion you certainly have "beentheredonethat" well done and really you deserve the credit (or your friend does :D ) i look forward to next saga in your life :bah: ...maybe "where can i buy a new motor for a treadmill" :o

• 7 months later...
you really want to heat the case as that is the bit you want to expand.

can you get to the top of the bolt with a hammer and a punch vertically , as that can loosen the binding or you can improvise an impact driver by having some one hammering the top of the bolt vertically while you are applying tension to undo the bolt.

as another poster suggested hitting the bolt from the side with a pin punch and a hammer in the direction to undo the bolt would be the start.

if you shear the head off the bolt you need to drill in then use an easyout to get the thread out , if that does not work you will need to drill it to just inside the width of the thread and then use a tap to clean the thread of the remaining bits of bolt - the fact that you have 3 other bolts of the same size should allow you to find the correct tap for the hole.

Posted by someone who know what he's talking about. :o

First time I have come across this thread and I must admit found it enthralling, but did agree with the suggestion to just drop it off at a garage then find the nearest bar, so as not to see what happened next.

It did remind a little of

mind.

:o

Moss

Are you trying to say that the collective mind of Thai Visa and the ingenuity of the local Thai garage could not release a single bolt :o

Right said Fred, that their casing is gonna have to go

Good luck

Moss

Edited by Mossfinn