Memory And Photoshop In Win98

Ijustwannateach

I'm trying to run Photoshop7.0 in Win98 (yes, yes, I know, I know) with something like a 1.2GHz chip and 127MB of Ram- C: drive has about 5gig free, D: drive has about 17Gig. But I keep getting spontaneous computer restarts, which I take it are memory conflicts.

I've tried to clear all the background programs I can out of the system, and I've tried to set the virtual memory manually to the maximum amount (on either drive) but none of these things helps. I get about one scan or photoedit in the program and then something burps and I get a reboot. This doesn't happen in other programs and I have an active virus scanner, so I'm fairly sure it's not the effect of the virus.

Do I just not have enough memory? (I think the motherboard supports up to 256MB, if it comes to that)- or is there something I can do to make Photoshop happier under the current configuration? Any advice appreciated, and I'll post any other specs necessary to make decisions.

"Steven"

You could have a hardware problem. Download a memory checker from the internet and check the memory. I think memcheck will do it.

It could be a hardware problem but I don't think the problem is with memory but the hard disk. A memory problem would affect all programs at one time or another, not just Photoshop.

When was the last time you run a thorough scan of the hard disk? You can do that or you can try re-installing Photoshop if you haven't tried that already. It will be written onto a different part of the surface which might fix the problem.

HTH

I think you may have to increase the size of your "scratch disk" in the options in photoshop. If you can t see it there, go to help, choose index and type scratch.

If i m not mistaken you should have that option in photoshop, it takes and reserves part of your hdisk to make memory or something, use your 17 gig disk.

Hope this helps.

hi'

beside memory problem ...

you definitely don't have enough ...

check it anyway, you can find a tool on microsoft site ... they do make sometings that work, sometimes :o

memory checker

and this one for a general check of virus or worm

Stinger virus check

hoping that it will help ...

I think you may have to increase the size of your "scratch disk" in the options in photoshop. If you can t see it there, go to help, choose index and type scratch.

this is very right :D

and also never allocate more than 30% of your ram for photoshop to run unless you have more than 512mb :D

cheers

francois

Ok, guys, I've done complete defrags and scandisks on all drives- no errors detected, but I did speed things up a bit! Moved about 5 gig from the C: drive to the D: drive; ran a memcheck with no problems detected; set up the scratch disks in photoshop, and reduced the history function to only 1 step... and that's improved things so I can now scan 4 photos before it crashes.

I think Francois has probably got it- I just don't HAVE enough memory- time to crack open the motherboard and add another 128MB. Thanks for all the help, though!

"Steven"

hi

say go nuts on the ram if you're going to bother. Get more than 128, you won't regret it.

yop ;

this is the fisrt ting to upgrade before to think abot another new com ...

more memory never hurts :o

just be aware that win98 has some problem to manage more than 128mb ...

you should look for a memory manager, like ram turbo or else ...

cheers

francois

ps; check in preferences/ memory allocation and set it to some 30% of your existing ram.