Obtaining Retirement Visa In The Us

I'm getting ready to apply for a retirement visa. I talked with someone at the thai counsul in Denver who told me I had to apply with the embassy in DC. I previously got my tourist visa's from LA.

The counsul in LA has a more comprehensive info on thier web site.

Does anyone know of any avantages or disadvantages in dealing with either the LA counsul or the DC embassy.

I also noted the LA counsul requests you send your passport while the instructions from the embassy site just resquest a copy of your passport.

I'm leaning towards using the LA counsul as my expeirience with them has been positive so far.

This type of visa has to be approved in Bangkok so believe what Denver told you, use Washington, should be what you do as it probably all gets routed through them anyhow.

Did you ask Denver about obtaining a normal tourist or non immigrant visa and doing the process here in Thailand? They probably don't know what is involved but it is very easy to do here at an immigration office. A letter from Embassy confirming income and a medical certificate from hospital that you are alive and money in the bank. You would do this during last month of visa stay.

Whatever route you take be sure to set up your banking arrangements (wire transfer agreement signed) before you leave.

I'm getting ready to apply for a retirement visa. I talked with someone at the thai counsul in Denver who told me I had to apply with the embassy in DC. I previously got my tourist visa's from LA.
Are you in Denver's area of responsiblity (I ask because you used LA for a previous tourist visa)? If not, maybe that's why Denver referred you to DC. Honorary Consulates, like Denver, are supposed to adhere to territorial guidlines, although not all do. And having said that, it is a lot easier to get a retirement visa (classification: OA) from an Honorary Consulate -- and LA has the reputation as being the hardest place to get one. So, I'd check with your 'local' Honorary Consulate -- and if that's Denver, then phone/email check with consulates elsewhere, like in Texas. You'll probably be surprised by the varying responses (unless Immigration dictates have tightened things up lately). Also, search this forum for similar situations. A chap named Redwood13 had excellent experience getting his OA through an Honorary Consulate.
I'm leaning towards using the LA counsul as my expeirience with them has been positive so far.

Per above, an OA visa is a much harder endeavor with LA than getting a tourist visa. At least it has been historically.

I also noted the LA counsul requests you send your passport while the instructions from the embassy site just resquest a copy of your passport.

To get an OA (or any visa), they'll need your passport to enter the stamps. So, if Embassy just wants a copy, this is just a preliminary step, as they'll eventually need your passport.

As Lopburi says, it may just be easier to do all this after you get to Thailand. Search this forum for a wealth of pros and cons related to the OA route vs. getting in Thailand.

This type of visa has to be approved in Bangkok so believe what Denver told you, use Washington, should be what you do as it probably all gets routed through them anyhow.

Did you ask Denver about obtaining a normal tourist or non immigrant visa and doing the process here in Thailand? They probably don't know what is involved but it is very easy to do here at an immigration office. A letter from Embassy confirming income and a medical certificate from hospital that you are alive and money in the bank. You would do this during last month of visa stay.

Whatever route you take be sure to set up your banking arrangements (wire transfer agreement signed) before you leave.

Lop...the O-A is different to the usual -A which are approved in Bkk. The Embassy or Consulate do approve them them incountry. There are three copies. One goes to the Embassy, one to Immigration through the Embassy, and one is retained by the issuing office. I am firmly of the view that extending an O in Thailand is still the way to go. Much simpler.

Did you ask Denver about obtaining a normal tourist or non immigrant visa and doing the process here in Thailand?  They probably don't know what is involved but it is very easy to do here at an immigration office.  A letter from Embassy confirming income and a medical certificate from hospital that you are alive and money in the bank.  You would do this during last month of visa stay.

I've never seen any indication that the O-A has to have Bangkok approval. The turnaround times I've heard of are usually a week or less and that's simply too quick for Bangkok to be involved. Further I know of one person who submitted his application in person at an honorary consulate and he left 5 minutes later with his O-A.

One person who lives outside Denver told me the honorary consulate there said he would have to apply to DC as they would not issue O-A visas in Denver.

I didn't find the process for obtaining an O-A particularly difficult and I've heard from others who've had good experiences with the process. I think it's only natural that you're going to hear mostly about negative experiences on this and most other boards because this is where folks come when they need help with a problem. I would avoid Los Angeles as most everyone I've talked to has had very negative experiences there. Suggest you call Houston.

You can of course obtain a one year extension of stay here by entering on a tourist visa or an O visa but it's nice to arrive at Don Muang knowing you're already set for a year.

And as Lopburi suggests do get your wire tranfer details arranged with your bank as you cannot do it once you're here.

-redwood

Lop...the O-A is different to the usual -A which are approved in Bkk. The Embassy or Consulate do approve them them incountry. There are three copies. One goes to the Embassy, one to Immigration through the Embassy, and one is retained by the issuing office. I am firmly of the view that extending an O in Thailand is still the way to go. Much simpler.

I am going by the Royal Thai Embassy Washington web site which says as below. You may be right that this authority has been delegated to Consulates but would like to see it in writing. ((famous last words)).

2.4 Procedure for consideration and issuance of visa

2.4.1 Consular missions aboard

Once the application form together with required documents submitted, the Consular officials are required to examine such documents to see that they are in good order and completed as stated in 2.2, then they must  be mailed through the pouch to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

The Consular mission will be notified to issue visa to the individual applicant when the Office of the Immigration Bureau has given approval.

The Consular official must request for financial certifications that the applicant has already complied with financial obligations stated in 2.1. before granting the visa.

I am going by the Royal Thai Embassy Washington web site which says as below. You may be right that this authority has been delegated to Consulates but would like to see it in writing. ((famous last words)).

2.4 Procedure for consideration and issuance of visa

2.4.1 Consular missions aboard

Once the application form together with required documents submitted, the Consular officials are required to examine such documents to see that they are in good order and completed as stated in 2.2, then they must  be mailed through the pouch to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok.

The Consular mission will be notified to issue visa to the individual applicant when the Office of the Immigration Bureau has given approval.

The Consular official must request for financial certifications that the applicant has already complied with financial obligations stated in 2.1. before granting the visa.

Redwood did it at an Hon Consulate in them US of A.

thanks for the responses

I'm in NM right now that's why I asked Denver.

Previously when I got my tourist visa from LA I did'nt know about the consul in den.

Some of this seems confusing re trying to get an O visa in thailand with a tourist visa was not possible. So I was told in BKK and PHT anyway.

I suppose I'll go with the embassy advice and send it to DC.

For what it's worth department: Before you spend a lot of time elsewhere, try this:

Royal Thai Consulate-General

121 S. W. Salmon St., Suite 1430

Portland OR 97204-2924

Tel: (503) 221-0440

Honorary Consul: Mr. Nicholas J. Stanley

There have been extremely good results from this office, with quick and efficient service, from members of another board.

If you are applying for an NI-O-A visa, (Non Immigrant O-A) retirement visa and you are old enough, may I suggest, as was suggested to me, that you give them the following information, either by phone, or letter.

"I am a USA citizen, xx years old, with no Thai wife or kids to support, no business interests or employment in or outside of Thailand, in good health, financially secure, and wish to retire in Thailand with a long term NI-O-A visa".

Request the neccessary forms, information, fees, form of payment, etc... be sent to your address. One person, from California, after sending in the forms, photo, and fees as required, got his visa back from Portland in five, (5) days. Not bad.

I certainly wish you luck, and would like to hear the results because I intend to do he exact same thing.....Regards, Ernie

Apply for a Non Imm O based on "Considering retirement".

Single entry, then go for the extension once you get here.

Less hoops to jump through and much easier.

Can't comment on the various consulates in the USA, but where ever you send the

application you will need to send the passport so they can stamp the visa.

Edited by astral