Don't go and see the movie "CLOVERFIELD"

tropo

Don't go and see the movie "CLOVERFIELD" which was released today.

I've seen a lot of bad movies, but this movie takes bad to a whole new level.

I'm sorry, but due to forum obscene language restrictions I can't adequately describe how bad this movie really is.

See it at your own risk, and if you suffer from motion sickness I suggest you take your medication because the entire movie is shot with a shaky hand held camera. A person suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease would have done a better job.

This movie is an insult to cinematography and should be banned.

You have been warned!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Five young New Yorkers throw their friend a going-away party the night that a monster the size of a skyscraper descends upon the city. Told from the point of view of their video camera, the film is a document of their attempt to survive the most surreal, horrifying event of their lives.

Set in New York when a party is interrupted by the breaking-news report of an earthquake, fireballs explode from the horizon, and the damage is everywhere on the street. The disasters gives way to panic as a monster is violently rampaging the whole city.

nothing can be that bad can it

Oh yes it can. I watched "Chocolat" once. What a load of (insert insult) :o

So what's not to like about movie Chocolat? I thought it was pretty good, but thats what makes the world go round.

Back on topic will make a point of missing Cloverfield. But who stars in it?

I thought it was an ok movie.. not the classic it was hyped to be but still a solid effort

Wife hated though cos all the camera work made her queasy - thank god we never saw the IMAX version or she'd have puked!

As it is all camcorder footage I guess the pirate versions that no doubt will be out tomorrow may actually make it a better film given it's homemade feel

Saw it today without knowing anything about it (went VIP which kind of took the edge off).

The movie was definitely original and really wasn't that bad. However, I agree somewhat on the motion sickness thing and suggest Drammamine for those whom suffer from motion sickness.

Fortunately, I have a really bad driver over here that had prepares me daily for this type of thing (gas, brakes, gas, brakes, etc.....unnessarily on the highway even when light traffic). Actually, some of the video reminded me of my dad filming my brother's cross country meets....my dad would leave the camera on dangling while cutting through the woods to catch my brother on the other side (and we had to witness varied film of misc. ground and woods shots with my dad breathing heavily...of course before the days of image stabilization).

Anyway, I'd say the movie is pretty interesting and there are many that I don't like.

Flip side to this negative review is that I loved it and thought it was very originally done. Yes I got a bit of a motion sickness at first but just like going on a boat I got used to it. This movie is inspiring to others that might have the idea to make their own movie. Like you I thought I would hate it the first 10-15 minutes but it grew on me.

I saw this today too, and I loved it. I had a little bit of motion sickness in the beginning, but I got used to it soon enough. The best thing about this movie is that there were no movie stars in it and it was made for only $30 million. I hope it's a huge success and encourages other film makers to stop wasting tens of millions of dollars on overpriced film stars that I'm completely sick of seeing over and over again. Hopefully we'll see more movies featuring alien invasion or giant monster attack in the future.

Luckily, we here in Bangkok would never have to worry about a similar attack, as our Robot Building was specifically built to counter this threat and will fight off any giant monsters who enter the city.

robot_building_02.jpg

Pretty good monster movie, but if you are bothered by camera shake then maybe its not your cup of tea. Much better than Blair Witch. 4/5 Stars. :o

That took camera shake to a whole new level. I don't suffer from motion sickness but it still really annoys me to have to sit through whole movie of it. I was hoping that the monster would kill them all quickly and smash the camera.

I saw this today too, and I loved it. I had a little bit of motion sickness in the beginning, but I got used to it soon enough. The best thing about this movie is that there were no movie stars in it and it was made for only $30 million. I hope it's a huge success and encourages other film makers to stop wasting tens of millions of dollars on overpriced film stars that I'm completely sick of seeing over and over again. Hopefully we'll see more movies featuring alien invasion or giant monster attack in the future.

Luckily, we here in Bangkok would never have to worry about a similar attack, as our Robot Building was specifically built to counter this threat and will fight off any giant monsters who enter the city.

robot_building_02.jpg

I hope and pray that this movie is a huge financial flop so that we never have to sit through the likes of it again...unfortunately with such a low budget production it will hard not to at least break even.

If it makes money, it's only because of the hype and marketing strategies.

Back on topic will make a point of missing Cloverfield. But who stars in it?

Cloverfield

Lizzy Caplan

Jessica Lucas

T.J. Miller

Michael Stahl-David

Mike Vogel

Small-timed cast apparently.

Was at the cinema today and didn't pick it. Watched Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium instread. It was alright.

I hope and pray that this movie is a huge financial flop so that we never have to sit through the likes of it again...unfortunately with such a low budget production it will hard not to at least break even.

Fair enough if you didn't like it. The camera shake didn't bother many people, I had no problem with it after the first 10 minutes or so. I can understand how some find the movie unwatchable because of it however. The hype and marketing had no effect on me, I don't watch tv and had forgotten about this movie until a few days ago after seeing a poster in MBK. Regardless, I hope this is successful so that in the future more movies will be made that have no big name stars, and focus on other things instead, special effects, plot, original storylines, etc. Hopefully more movies will be made that rely on something other than star power or remakes of old classic movies, and if this makes money perhaps we'll see some really good original movies coming out in the next few years as directors are given more freedom to experiment and not waste their entire budget on some movie star we've all seen a dozen times before.

I agree with DP25 (and others who expressed similar sentiments): this movie could potentially lead to a revitalization of what is, frankly, and industry that is overrun with cliches and tired re-makes. Just look at 'I Am Legend' (remake) and 'Hitman' (Bourne Identity, etc ripoff).

While I'm not too sure about whether I liked Cloverfield or not, I am sure that it is different from every other movie that has the Prince of Norway living in a dorm room in Manhattan, and the girl he romances eventually gets mad at him for not letting her in on his secret identity. How do you think that one ends?

BFD!

Don't you people get it?

The blurry shaky imaging wants to give you the impression it is all filmed by amateurs.

Give you the impression it is all reall life footage.

By watching this film you are all being prepared on watching similair footage on MS news as already is being done.

Shaky so called real footage will be the news of tommorow.

You are tricked into believing it because of the poor camera positions.

It must be real amateur becuase profs would hold the camera focused and still, please wake up you are being programmed!

When do you people ever wake up?

Five young New Yorkers throw their friend a going-away party the night that a monster the size of a skyscraper descends upon the city. Told from the point of view of their video camera, the film is a document of their attempt to survive the most surreal, horrifying event of their lives.

Set in New York when a party is interrupted by the breaking-news report of an earthquake, fireballs explode from the horizon, and the damage is everywhere on the street. The disasters gives way to panic as a monster is violently rampaging the whole city.

Sound like an excerpt out of Schoolies Week in Surfers Paradise :D only the party is a bit larger :o Nignoy

Don't you people get it?

The blurry shaky imaging wants to give you the impression it is all filmed by amateurs.

Give you the impression it is all reall life footage.

By watching this film you are all being prepared on watching similair footage on MS news as already is being done.

Shaky so called real footage will be the news of tommorow.

You are tricked into believing it because of the poor camera positions.

It must be real amateur becuase profs would hold the camera focused and still, please wake up you are being programmed!

When do you people ever wake up?

Off your meds again mate??? :o

Fair enough if you didn't like it. The camera shake didn't bother many people, I had no problem with it after the first 10 minutes or so. I can understand how some find the movie unwatchable because of it however. The hype and marketing had no effect on me, I don't watch tv and had forgotten about this movie until a few days ago after seeing a poster in MBK. Regardless, I hope this is successful so that in the future more movies will be made that have no big name stars, and focus on other things instead, special effects, plot, original storylines, etc. Hopefully more movies will be made that rely on something other than star power or remakes of old classic movies, and if this makes money perhaps we'll see some really good original movies coming out in the next few years as directors are given more freedom to experiment and not waste their entire budget on some movie star we've all seen a dozen times before.

There's plenty of movies around without name stars in them. Head for most "B" movies and you'll be in your element.

Did you ever stop to think why producers use big name stars? It because people like to watch them and a lot of them are very good actors, and if not they're decent eye-candy. They wouldn't be paying 10's of millions of dollars for nothing would they? You should give some credit where credit is due.

It camera wasn't just shaking...the cam was flicking around constantly at lightening speed....even before the monstor struck. Very few people even make home movies that bad.

I liked it.

Nowhere near the bad critique of the OP.

Where does a monster like that hide? That was not the only question I couldn't answer. A tanker hitting the Statue of Libery as the initial impact or attack?? What?? Then what would explode like that and send flaming inferno balls off in all directions. THe little dwarf beasts attacking the military but getting their butts kicked by civilians. Hunh??

Still, a decent escape from a normal day.

Moral of the story: Never go back for a wounded person, more people end up getting killed.

How'd that guy keep the camera on so long? What kind of battery and SD card can last that long?

The ending. That ending tells me Cloverfield will have an encore performance.

Hi :o

I just got back from watching this movie at Central Bangna. I DID read your warning - five minutes before we left our home :D Not expecting my boyfriend to have motion sickness, i kept quiet (knowing that i myself do NOT have it). BUT during the movie i saw three people leaving the theater (and not coming back), and after it was over my boyfriend said the guy in front of him told his girlfriend he "has to vomit" and my boyfriend himself felt dizzy. Yet no such effects with me......

In short, i LOVED the movie - finally a monster-movie with a touch of reality (*could* happen....) and no super-duper-science fiction elements, just good old monster vs. humans. Cool special effects (bombing! shooting! fireballs!) Handsome actors :D (me too is tired of seeing the same faces all over again).

@ Head Snake - your first two questions were, speculatively, answered in the movie itself - monster came from the sea, and upon coming ashore wipes out the tanker.

Still i too wonder which video camera would run THAT long on one battery, and just which SD card is that huge? As it was specifically shown (in the beginning) it's an SD card, HOWEVER during the movie they're talking about it being a TAPE, in fact one guy being upset for the other over-recording his tape. Oh, and why didn't the FIRST atomic bomb stop the camera? Maybe EMP not strong enough? :D

Best regards....

Thanh

Edited by Thanh-BKK

Don't go and see the movie "CLOVERFIELD" which was released today.

...if you suffer from motion sickness I suggest you take your medication because the entire movie is shot with a shaky hand held camera. A person suffering from advanced Parkinson's disease would have done a better job.

I know what you mean. This trend in cinematic productions to use hand-held cameras is awful. Unfortunately, it seems to be showing up more and more. I have abandoned watching some movies because of it.