What's Happening With Airport Taxis?

jimbim

Arrived back last night at Suvarnabhumi. There were no cabs on the lower level. (Though a few people whispered "taxi, mister?" under their breath.)

Went upstairs and grabbed a cab from in front of Departures. Usually there is a guard there to hassle you and you have to pay them 20 baht or so (and then they get you a cab). But not last night, and there were lots of other people grabbing cabs there.

Is this the way it is to be done now or am I missing something?

Also, an airport bus used to run from Don Mueang. Does it run from Suvarnabhumi and where do you get it?

There were no cabs on the lower level.

Went upstairs and grabbed a cab from in front of Departures. Usually there is a guard there to hassle you and you have to pay them 20 baht or so

Taxi's are on arrivals level now.

Why would you pay a guard anything to take a taxi from departures (the cab driver might, but not you)... just ignore him.

they should get rid of the ones on the lower level. the sign says 'meter taxi' yet they ask for 400thb to get into town. the guy handing out the tickets asks for it, and so does the driver. i simply refuse to pay that much for a 200thb fare.

from now on, its the top level for me. wont give them another chance.

Just tell the guard "I speak ah no englisu" ok? Helps sometimes..

Taxi's are now on arrivals, but I've heard that they're not technically allowed to be parked there waiting. But then again, it's Thailand..so whatever..

There is still a minibus from Suwanapoom to Don Muang. You can search it in www.google.co.th and type it in the search bar na...

Hope dat helps bro..

The new airport is actually worse than the old airport taxi-wise. So they built this slick new modern "hub" airport and you get off the plane and its the same old Asian slumpot "year of living dangerously" all over again.

Not too sure about that. The old sneak up to departures trick was worth it, but in busy periods on the arrivals level you were left on a precariously narrow bit of pavement in a crowd :o

Actually though I agree with your general sentiment. I found nothing really wrong with Don Muang. It was a bit old and creaky but seemed to function at least as well (or not)

I never have a problem with meter taxi desk or taxi. I walk up and tell them where I want to go at which time they write out a slip which I hand to the guy at the head of the driver line and away I go on the meter.

The extra 50 baht is a small price to pay for a cab that has spent several hours waiting to get a rider. My last trip a few days ago cost 127 on the meter plus the 50. Gave the guy 200 at my destination and all were happy. I was in my apartment in On Nut BTS area 1 hour after the plane wheels touched down.

The ground transport is a huge scam out there.

If you are a local or clued up to the games Thais play,... then no problem.

What novice traveler would think a modern Airport would let a mob of lieing, scheeming, scumbag, touts mislead arrivals?

Someone at the AOT has incentive to make it difficult to get a fair price.

30,000 arrivals a day.

Normal Taxi Rate: 300thb x 30,000 arrivals a day = 9 million thb a day

Limo Tout Rate: 900thb x 30,000 arrivals a day = 27 million thb a day.

Yes! ...That's a potential 18 million thb a day EXTRA that can be earned by letting the Limo Touts hassle arrivals.

Now you know.

My guess is that the OP has not been to BKK since the official metered taxi stands moved from level 1 (or the ground floor) up to level 2, on/about 1 October 2007. Hence they came out on level one looking for taxis while they should have been on level two. I use the official metered taxi stands, and have never had a problem with having the meter utilized. Have had ~ 40 tax trips from Suvarnabhumi to the city or environs, including two in the past 10 days.

My guess is that the OP has not been to BKK since the official metered taxi stands moved from level 1 (or the ground floor) up to level 2, on/about 1 October 2007. Hence they came out on level one looking for taxis while they should have been on level two. I use the official metered taxi stands, and have never had a problem with having the meter utilized. Have had ~ 40 tax trips from Suvarnabhumi to the city or environs, including two in the past 10 days.

In fact now there are now 2 queues at the level 2 taxi desks. One for the passengers and one for the taxi drivers. You get paired at the desk with your driver and walk over to the taxi together. Very civilised!

Arrived back last night at Suvarnabhumi. There were no cabs on the lower level. (Though a few people whispered "taxi, mister?" under their breath.)

Went upstairs and grabbed a cab from in front of Departures. Usually there is a guard there to hassle you and you have to pay them 20 baht or so (and then they get you a cab). But not last night, and there were lots of other people grabbing cabs there.

Is this the way it is to be done now or am I missing something?

Also, an airport bus used to run from Don Mueang. Does it run from Suvarnabhumi and where do you get it?

I NEVER took a taxi at the arrival floor but always at the departure (don't like to queue when it's not necessary) and never been asked to pay anything by anybody.

And so, the myth that it is desperately dangeous or somehow fraught with difficulties to get a taxi from the airport is once more blown out the water by real life experiences. With the possible exception of Singapore (whose airport has the added advantage of being very close to the CBD), I can't think of any other SEA capital where getting a taxi at the airport is either easier or cheaper? Have you complainers not been to Jakarta, Manila, KL etc lately?

In fact now there are now 2 queues at the level 2 taxi desks. One for the passengers and one for the taxi drivers. You get paired at the desk with your driver and walk over to the taxi together. Very civilised!

Thats exactly how it worked for me a couple of weeks ago - no problem at all!

Well the thing is, the airport officials who are taking care of the pairing are asking bribes from taxi drivers. So a taxi accepting to bribe them will have a good fare pretty fast, one refusing will wait 2 or 3 hours, and get the customers who are not going very far.

Not the most efficient system, especially when you arrive at the airport with a lot of luggage, and the official will refuse to give you a car with a big trunk, as the drivers with the nicest cars are the ones giving the biggest bribes.

And so, the myth that it is desperately dangeous or somehow fraught with difficulties to get a taxi from the airport is once more blown out the water by real life experiences. With the possible exception of Singapore (whose airport has the added advantage of being very close to the CBD), I can't think of any other SEA capital where getting a taxi at the airport is either easier or cheaper? Have you complainers not been to Jakarta, Manila, KL etc lately?

The bottom line is.

There are 30,000 arrivals a day and the Airport Management still lets the "Limo Touts" harrass, scam, lie, cheat, mislead arrivals.

You didn't see the article in the Bangkok post regarding the 900 scammers that were arrested at the Airport?

Yes. 900! ... and that is just the ones that got ticketed....and they are back at it a day later.

Did you read the numerous letters to the Bangkok Post about the shennanigans going on with the ground transport?

Did you see the article about the organized gang of luggage thieves?

.....or the Bangkok Post article regarding the 3 Mafia groups controlling the place.

Let's not even get into the Cargo pickup scams....

I guess this is how you would run an Airport?

Well the thing is, the airport officials who are taking care of the pairing are asking bribes from taxi drivers. So a taxi accepting to bribe them will have a good fare pretty fast, one refusing will wait 2 or 3 hours, and get the customers who are not going very far.

Not the most efficient system, especially when you arrive at the airport with a lot of luggage, and the official will refuse to give you a car with a big trunk, as the drivers with the nicest cars are the ones giving the biggest bribes.

And your source for this pearl of wisdom is . . . .?

I use that system at least fortnightly and it seems to me that the guys are waiting in line and who they get as a passenger depends entirely on their place in the queue.

But it couldnt be that simple, huh? There has to be a conspiracy somewhere, doesnt there?

The bottom line is.

There are 30,000 arrivals a day and the Airport Management still lets the "Limo Touts" harrass, scam, lie, cheat, mislead arrivals.

You didn't see the article in the Bangkok post regarding the 900 scammers that were arrested at the Airport?

Yes. 900! ... and that is just the ones that got ticketed....and they are back at it a day later.

Did you read the numerous letters to the Bangkok Post about the shennanigans going on with the ground transport?

.....or the Bangkok Post article regarding the 3 Mafia groups controlling the place.

I don't know. All I can report is my own experiences. I have never experienced any of this stuff, but then again I've never seen ghosts either.

Maybe I'm charmed or something. I probably use the airport as much as or more than 90% of TV members. I don't act as an advocate because I'm bored or trying to be controversial. I simply report my experiences.

I suggest the problems faced by most people are faced by those who are infrequent travellers who don't really know the ropes. The fact that the OP went looking for taxis where they no longer congregate supports that contention.

The bottom line is.

I don't know. All I can report is my own experiences. I have never experienced any of this stuff, but then again I've never seen ghosts either.

Maybe I'm charmed or something. I probably use the airport as much as or more than 90% of TV members. I don't act as an advocate because I'm bored or trying to be controversial. I simply report my experiences.

I suggest the problems faced by most people are faced by those who are infrequent travellers who don't really know the ropes. The fact that the OP went looking for taxis where they no longer congregate supports that contention.

i use bkk airport on average 2 dozen times a year ,never lost luggage or been rip off by taxi drivers ..

And how does your brother in law's claim fit in with what looks to be a fairly regular queue. I was there two days ago. There were two passengers ahead of me.

Guess what? They got the first two cab drivers and I (the third in line) got the third taxi driver in line.

Unless the girls manning the desks are somehow able to tell my destination before I tell them, i can't see how on earth they are able to arrange for non-bribers to get short rides and the more compliant to get the juicier fares.

Perhaps your brother in law could explain that mystery?

I will interject two exceptions to bendix's (accurate, IMHO) description of the taxi queue system: If you are next in line and want a long-distance taxi or require a large (station wagon) taxi they might either make you stand aside until a suitable driver is next in his/her queue, or they might jump the taxi driver queue to find a suitable driver.

For 90% of my taxi rides from the airport, I go to Pattaya. Every once in a while the guy at the front of the taxi queue might decline to take me. Maybe at the end of his shift? <shrug> I have also seen tourists ahead of me arrive with a large amount of luggage, and they will either wait for a large taxi or the driver of a large taxi will step out from behind the head of the queue.

I personally find both of those exceptions reasonable.

/ edited to change "one exception" to "two exceptions" in the first line /

Edited by wpcoe

I can only second that !!!

BKK Airport Taxi system is convenient, cheap and hassle-free..... much better than at DMK airport, where I sometimes waited for 30 minutes to get a cab. the 20 or so times I arrived at SWAMPY airport, I never waited more than 2 minutes.

they improved in many ways (maybe thats one of the few things the military government was able to improve).

before, they would hand the COMPLAIN-POSTCARD to the driver himself. Now YOU as the passengers get it directly.

the next thing is the civilized queueing of the drivers to wait for a passenger. it almost looks funny to see them so "tamed" :o . They have to hand over their already filled in Complain-Card to the staff, then when its their time, the card will be given to the passenger.... and the parking-system of the waiting taxis has been changed and improved as well.....

forget about such civilized procedure in Jakarta, Manila and the such.....

KL is a different story, cause the speed-train to KL Central is not only cheaper but much faster than a Taxi.....

so ok, lets complain if there REALLY is something to complain about..... but not just for the sake of "complaining"..... ;-)

Edited by siam2007

Hmmm last time once I waded through the rip off merchants and got to the taxi stand - paid 180bht to get into central Bangkok. :D

:D I arrived on 15 January....first thing I noticed was no Taxi touts...and probably that was because 3 policemen were standing right there by the exit, watching.

I got a airport limo from the desk...900 baht....you may say that's too much but after 10 hours in an airplane and at 6:30 in the morning (24 hours since last sleep in a real bed not an airline seat)...it was worth it. Gave the Porter who carried my bag to the car a 40 baht tip....I can afford it. Just glad to be back in LOS.

:o

I go to departures every time.

Always get in a taxi that is actually dropping somebody off NOT one that is parked up. Even better if he doesn't (dare) switch on his ว่าง light. This identifies him as someone who is not under the protection of the AOT. He is far more likely to be an honest driver. Sometimes the parked taxis on departures have the meters disconnected or simply won't switch them on. This type of taxi often has a nasty driver as well.

Never ever agree to a taxi when you are approached within the terminal.

The bottom line is.

well said.westerners just love to bitch

There are some common characteristics of taxi mafia around Bangkok and the airport is a big hub for them as there are lots of juicy newbie farangs, khaeks, nips and jeks to fleece.

Watch out for mad jabbering in English. They will continue to do this even if the passenger demonstrates fluency in Thai. This is a telltale sign.

Matiness in an appropriate setting also gives them away. These are actually distraction techniques. Listen to the supposed interest in your travel plans and life. A constant barrage of questions prevents you from asking why the meter isn't on.

The meter isn't on. They will avoid this topic like the plague. If you bring up the meter they will pretend not to hear your question, replying with something like, "How long you stay Thailand?" Upon being pressed, they will claim the meter is broken, not used from the airport or not used for downtown trips, etc.

They will have the best spots. Since they are working in tandem with elements of the Airports Authority, they will often be parked up directly outside the terminal doors without fear of being moved by the guards. In fact, in general the majority of parked-up taxis are in the mafia. It is best to grab a taxi that has just dropped people off.

They are inside the terminal. Never accept a taxi if you are approached inside the terminal. These are guaranteed mafia.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Never ever accept a taxi if you are approached inside the terminal. These are guaranteed mafia.

But isnt that true of anywhere in the world, Briggsy? It's just plain common sense, and yet people come on here, ignore those basic rules and wonder why they are being fleeced.

It beggars belief.

As an aside, you mention yelsewhere that ou always go to departures. Good idea, but if you do that and the taxi driver attempts to avoid putting his meter on you can't really morally object in my opinion. By going to the departures area you are depriving the airport of revenue and not being entirely fair to the hundreds of taxi drivers who have been waiting hours for a proper fair. In a way, you're perpetuating your own scam and - by giving business to drivers who are bending the rules - encouraging more dishonesty.