New Camera Time Dslr Or P&s?

quiksilva

I have never really got into photography all that seriously but I do enjoy it, and want to take my shots to the next stage (using a 5 megapixel P&S). I don't care for video, my current cam is fine for that.

I try to be creative with my shots, and want to take that further but I don't want to be overwhelmed with technicalities. (The RAW and fill-in flash threads sent my head spinning).

If you were in my position what would you look at DSLR or P&S?

Budget <30K. Any recommendations?

Please tell us about the kind of subjects you like to photograph

and that will help us advise.

As a first thought.

I have been very impressed with the close up abilities of the Canon Ixus which is point and shoot.

See the shots in the Evaluate section.

However if you want to go the next step, then I would suggest the Canon 400D.

You can select point and shoot mode if you wish, but it does give you the option

to make your own selection of settings as you progress.

You can forget the RAW side at first and the camera will pop the flash up if a fill in is required. :o

I think that inadvertently you've answered your own question.

You've already identified that in order to "move up a notch" you're considering upping your camera spec. If you go P&S how long will it be before you need to "up" again? My guess is before the years out!

With 30k to spend I endorse Astrals view of a 400D.

Looking at your Photoshop work you are a creative person. The P&S will NOT enable the same creativity as a DSLR. You just can't do landscapes with a P&S! And have you ever tried shooting action with a P&S?

Don't worry about RAW and Fill in flash (yet). BUT, it will come later, and you'll then realise the benefits. The P&S will not provide these benefits/the next step.

Wish you luck

nothing wrong with a P&S, its handy and easy and you most likely bring it with you - which you won't do with your dslr. don't see a problem shooting landscapes with a p's? and action? well, you won't get 5 frames a second, but it still works - depending if you really need 5 frames a second or not. shooting with 400d in auto doesnt give you any better pictures than i.e. Canon 960IS, if you dont spend much more money on good lenses, with a budget of 30k THB you won't get any, and whats the point then?

A bit of everything really. I particularly like landscapes and buildings, but I also want to do the occasional close up and portraits.

If you like doing landscapes and buildings I would suggest a large format film camera with full movements. With the movements you will be able to render far better photos of the kind you like than anything digital. You will have to import one but a 4x5 Burke and James, Gundlach Korona or Meridian 45A of 45B would certainly be within your price range. You can occasionally find a used Linhof in that price range as well. With a Calumet C2 roll holder you can use more readily available 120-220 roll film. You can also add a medium format international back that would enable you to use 120-220 roll film with the appropriate holder. The international back would also allow you to go digital at a later time if the prices drop on medium format backs. There are links below to a couple of articles that may interest you if you like shooting landscapes and buildings.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/movements.shtml

http://www.imagedancer.com/view_camera_movements.htm

Ahhhhhh now you had me scratching my head for a while with talk about movements but that last article really does bring it home.....so thats why I get so many funny looks when Im lying on the ground to get my shot!! :o

I prefer digital format to film though.

nothing wrong with a P&S, its handy and easy ....

shooting with 400d in auto doesnt give you any better pictures than i.e. Canon 960IS, ......

and whats the point then?

I think the point is that he wants a STEP UP.

The DSLR will give him that and a base to build on as time goes on.

He can explore the added benefits of the Aperture Priority and Shutter Priority etc setting of the SLR.

There are some quite good lenses available second hand for the EOS cameras,

that work well on the 400D. So adding lenses does not have to be an expensive exercise.

I have never really got into photography all that seriously but I do enjoy it, and want to take my shots to the next stage (using a 5 megapixel P&S). I don't care for video, my current cam is fine for that.

I try to be creative with my shots, and want to take that further but I don't want to be overwhelmed with technicalities. (The RAW and fill-in flash threads sent my head spinning).

If you were in my position what would you look at DSLR or P&S?

Budget <30K. Any recommendations?

I'm quite happy with my Lumix fz18.. Not an slr, but has high specs - wide zoom range, multiple modes etc.. Certainly more than any film camera ever had.

Do I want to go out to take photos; or do I want to have a camera available if I see something I want to photograph? A DSLR is of no use if it is not available when you want. But if you want the best options for quality shots it offers them. I really can't make a call on you are you show creativity so may indeed go out to obtain photos - but you also say your not into photography and I would say a high quality PS fits that. I would also say professional use DSLR and amateur use PS - but again you seem to be in the middle. The one place you may be able to decide is do you need special lens and effects? DSLR rules there - but there are amazing things that can be done at computer level these days (and you are expert there).

There are several things that a P+S could never do, but a DSLR does quite easily. There are also some things that a DSLR can't do, but a P+S does quite easily. Since you already have a P+S, I think it's a no-brainer to get a DSLR to complement it. They're dirt cheap these days. You don't need to worry about RAW and fill flash and whatever until you actually need to use them, a DSLR works fine without these things.

Be aware that with DSLRs, the body (and kit lens) are only the initial (and minuscule) investment. If you really want to use it to the fullest, be prepared to spend a *lot* of money.

I would say a high quality PS fits that.

There really isn't any such thing as that or what once used to be called "prosumer" digicams available in the market today in my opinion (although there wasn't a clear cut definition of it), leaving consumers with only P&S and SLR to choose from.

Edited by Nordlys

There are several things that a P+S could never do, but a DSLR does quite easily. There are also some things that a DSLR can't do, but a P+S does quite easily. Since you already have a P+S, I think it's a no-brainer to get a DSLR to complement it. They're dirt cheap these days. You don't need to worry about RAW and fill flash and whatever until you actually need to use them, a DSLR works fine without these things.

Be aware that with DSLRs, the body (and kit lens) are only the initial (and minuscule) investment. If you really want to use it to the fullest, be prepared to spend a *lot* of money.

Spot on.

You will find that just by using an slr , especially in manual mode, you will become more familiar with the arcane jargon.

Cheers

I have a D80 with a great zoom (18-200VR), for sale if interested.

I'd be happy to show you how it works.

That strikes me as a good camera.

Why are you selling??

I upgraded to a D300.

The D80 is like new.

I'm the only person that operated it and I take good care of my things.

I'll ask 50% of the new price and throw in the optional wireless remote, optional magnified eyepiece and Nikon bag.

No dissapointments.

• 5 weeks later...
I have a D80 with a great zoom (18-200VR), for sale if interested.

I'd be happy to show you how it works.

That strikes me as a good camera.

Why are you selling??

I upgraded to a D300.

The D80 is like new.

I'm the only person that operated it and I take good care of my things.

I'll ask 50% of the new price and throw in the optional wireless remote, optional magnified eyepiece and Nikon bag.

No dissapointments.

Are you still selling it? How much?