Spouse Visa Application

In my opinion, people who wish to go directly through the embassy are the same type of people who would try to pinch your spot in the queue for grand final tickets

Bob

What a luck that we are living in Australia Mate! If you are living in a remote area in this great country are you going the long and dirty road or are you using the bitumen road if you can?

Everybody has his own preferences for a million reasons it's called "Life. I always go for the short cut .I'm not a smart a$$ it means I have goals to meet and places to go. So if the embassy offers that service I will take it. You can compare the grand final waiting queue for buy the ticket or make the online booking and in you go!

It took me less than 6 hrs today including lunch for the taxi driver to get my certified clearance to get married all it took was good planning and pay the dough if you want it fast. Not everybody is retired or lives in the LOS because I have to work for a living and can't afford to stay in queues. However if you feel that you have to use two services to get one goal accomplished go for it Bob.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm certainly not trying to queue jump either!

I've been here since early December going through all the motions of getting everything done, which in the end I'm sure will be well worth the wait.

But;

Any tips, hints and practical experiences from the guys on this Forum, like Graham & David who have been "over the top" with good advice, is most appreciated.

When not in the "Village" which is quite 'Spartan' living, I'm paying out good 'Bahties' for accommodation, which could be well used for other purposes.

I don't give a 'continental' which building I visit for the application process, however if there is a means by which the whole exercise can be more efficient and painless what the "F"

So ausb don't be negative and think others may have a sus. motive, each to his own and we'll all get along fine.

Happy (belated) Australia Day.

This points out what I have said before....

Ring the embassy......two weeks for an appointment

Go to the VFS office....two weeks for the appointment

Not a lot of difference there....the only difference is, IF the application is complete....the Embassy lodgement seems to be quicker for the grant.

IF the application needs more docs or verification then there is little difference in the grant time.

Each application is decided on its own merits. Therefore the length of time for the grant will be different.

Just got off the phone to the embassy. Spoke with a thai lady who was very helpful and spoke excellant english. I was also told not to worry so much about making an appointment directly with the embassy. She said that the interview process is for the applicant and there is really no need for the sponsor to be there. Whether or not this is true we will see. She said any additional information from me can be done by email or phone call back in Oz.

I got very good clear answers in relation to the requirement for the kids visas and this was very helpful. A good point she brought up was that if the translation is done through one of the translation agencies in the area there is no need for it to be verified at the MFA building. I pointed out that I had used the agency in the hotel next to the embassy before and she said that this ones work would be accepted without verification.

Definately worthwhile making that particular phone call as it has eased my mind on a couple of things.

You received a very good reply from the Australian Embassy and what you were told is quite correct in all of its detail.

Ah, I'm glad this discussion is still strong!

So Graham, one still needs an appointment to lodge the application at the VFS Office?

I must have missed this point in earlier posts. I thought with the VFS, you just lobbed and wait your turn if busy!

I thought the only appointment criteria, was with the Embassy!

I think what Graham meant was that if you lodge at the VFS then its still about 2 weeks before you get an interview at the embassy for your wife. In my situation I will be lodging at the VFS, there are no extraordinary reasons for me to request an apointment at the embassy to lodge.

3 weeks to go and counting. I will be having a few beers the night after lodging as its been a long sometimes frustrating process. I cant imagine what it will be like waiting for the result.

Bob,

Without wishing to labour the point;

That's what the Forum is all about, The "SOME" people you are indicating is the vast majority of posters who are trying to give a hand to others.

There is obviously no material gain for them, but they spend their time and use their previous experience.

There is no point in continuing with the flavour of the initial reply that you gave above, and I won't respond further on the issue of supposed "queue jumping" or to any further irresponsible reply that you may offer like the one above.

Let's get back to what this whole bit is about and that is lending an "aussie" hand to those of us, yes me, who haven't been through the process and are just looking for a clue or three.

I genuinly did not know the difference in either applying at the Embassy or VFS and Graham, David and others have given straight forward and clear advice without even a hint of sarcasm.

Druckman,

I hate to disillusion you but ther is only one road and in this case we are talking about one service.

Your focus should be centred one submitting the strongest possible case for your partner.(the stronger the submission the quicker the approval) Focusing on trying to get an interview ahead of other applicants (and thus shoving them down the queueif you were successful,which i doubt very much) strikes me as being delusionally self important and possessing a F--- you Jack attitude

Fish hook,

You were only asking the question as all of us have at some stage on this forum . No problem .Ihope you get all the best advice this forum can give

Druckmans insistence that you ring the embassy, be persistant and dont take no for an answer is a load of dribble.

Yes i work for a living and my time is important too

Bob

I just think their comes a lot of gate keepers in discussions like this that become fearful that their application will be pushed back by 'queue jumpers'. For heavens sake grow up. The discussion centres around what can be done and how it can be done. It unravels the sins of the past from DIMA or what ever their new name is.

I find it interesting how information is given out. I just believe that we are all entitled to know how to get thru the process. Don't forget this is quite an emotional time for many of the members here. Some people find waiting 3 months a long time? It plays on your heart.

So if your paranoid this discussion may not be for you.

No need for any paranoia here Chris Lawrence.

My wife got her Spouse visa quickly and painlessly a year ago thanks to this forum and the helpful information from Burns and Mighty Mouse. I see this is your first post on this thread and in case you haven't grasped the debate over applying at the VFS versus embassy if you read the previous replies you will see the G burns ,David 96 and the Embasssy all say there is no difference . So whats the point except trying to jump the queue

So What. It is the right of every person to apply at the embassy; you sound paranoid. I have seen it before on TV. The fact is that applying at the embassy is you are dealing with people that are supposed to have some knowledge greater than the VFS staff? Thats all.

Don't take it to heart. But there are gatekeepers on the forum. They will only let out the information when they want to. I just believe as I said before as mush information as possible will help the process. Don't weaken discussion because someone has a different view.

You see some people turn to TV because they have a painful experience. You were lucky, if we were all this way we wouldn't have this thread.

I went to both services. I would rather go to the horses mouth than the horses ar-e. But then again you might be different. Now I can't complain about this now can I?

So this is the difference; if someone asked me I would suggest to go to the embassy; and as you would see from other posts I have done on this subject I would also give them ways to get ahead in the process.

But thats me, I don't see that as jumping ahead: I just feel compasion for people that are struggling in this process.

AB you are a lucky man?

Ah, I'm glad this discussion is still strong!

So Graham, one still needs an appointment to lodge the application at the VFS Office?

I must have missed this point in earlier posts. I thought with the VFS, you just lobbed and wait your turn if busy!

I thought the only appointment criteria, was with the Embassy!

As Sezzo said, that is the waiting time for the interview.....my apologies I should have been more concise.

Guys....

It is important that you submit as strong an application as possible, the guys here have always pushed that point.

How one lodges the form is up to them....There is no queue jumping....the applicants that lodge at the Embassy will have their interview when it fits the schedule of the Embassy...the applicants that lodge at the VFS get the same treatment. It all depends on the Embassy...As I pointed out before...the time between lodgement and interview is roughly the same. There is no difference.

As we have seen the Embassy can ask for things that seem to come out of the blue...such as the Oz police clearance for my mates wife...her grant was only days after they lodged that, but getting it delayed the grant by a number of weeks. Whether or not the grant (or refusal) happens quickly or not is determined by the quality of the application...not where you lodge it.

Aussiebob is correct in saying that the strength of the application is important...what happens after lodgement is entirely at the discretion of the Embassy.

,,,,,,,but he is not correct in saying someone got tickets ahead of him? Thats the only point that needed to be dispelled here Graham, Don't set a myth that it is better to go to one place than the other?

Keep it real.

I think that, that was what I said.....there is no queue jumping...everthing is at the Embassy discretion.

Yet another question:

The department's Partner Migration Booklet states of the requirement when applying to supply "Certified Documents" together with a clear copy of each.

The Bangkok info sheet states "Original Documents"

Is this just a change of policy as far as Bangkok is concerned and do they actually want the "Original" Thai Tabian, Thai Birth Certificate, Thai hard Passport etc etc?

Of course the required Certified English copies we have all round do have Thai copies of the original docs attached as normal.

Anyone had any experience with this one?

They want..................Yes, had a bit of spare time yesty, so visited "Floor 34"

Particularly for the Thai translated docs., they want the very original issue of each, particularly Tabien and any Birth Certs.

Hope this helps anyone else who may wonder about the different Bangkok requirement.

I also got the impression that when you take the 'originals' plus a copy of each, that they will certify the copy for you.

Fishhooks,

Thanks for adding those details. When we handed in all our documents to the VFS we brought along all the originals of HER birth certificate, passport etc, as well as the certified copies just in case they required the originals. My side of the documents were already certified and they didn't require any of the originals of my birth certificate, passport etc when presented to the VFS.

I'm not sure if there is any real time difference between handing to the VFS or embassy. I think it purely comes down to how busy the place is, how completed your application is etc... But we handed the docs in just after Christmas and they were given to the embassy and we had our interview in about one and a half weeks. Pretty standard time really. But we don't have a solid application compared to others who have had their interviews sooner than that...

I think the only real argument for going directly to the embassy instead of the VFS would be to avoid any of your documents being misplaced in transit. Having said that they could still be misplaced even if you handed them straight to the embassy. Has anyone had any of their documents misplaced from transit between VFS and the embassy? Personally we were paranoid about things getting lost especially since we submitted documents after handing the VFS our original documents because it took several days and they hadn't received it. But they eventually received all of the paperwork no problems.

It can be argued that 'pushing' people along will get things done quicker or just get things done period!...But then again a lot of the time it makes absolutely no difference how much you harass people to move things quicker even if things were processed quicker than you expected. In some places things get processed when they can get processed. Unless anyone has any major argument for going to the embassy vs. VFS we should let it rest and keep to the point of assisting future Oz spouse applicants.

Sezzo, thanks for the info of the translation agencies that don't require verification. Hope that can save people some time in making their application. For future applicants info where did you go for your translations?

I havent done our translations yet as I am still in Oz and wont be in BKK for another couple of weeks. On previous occasions fwhen we were getting married and also my visa extension I used the translation agency in the hotel next to the embassy security office. As you face the embassy gate you go about 20 or 30 metres along the road and you come to a pretty dingy looking building. There is a restaurant and then a driveway which goes under the main part of the building. Go down the driveway and on the right hand side there is a small office for the translation agency.

Now I spoke with a lady at the embassy last week and I mentioned this particular agency and she said that if I used this one there is no requirement to take the translations to the MFA for verification.

Hope my directions are clear enough for you

Sezzo

Here is some information that may be useful.

It appears that the Australian Embassy in the Phillipines issues far more information and is more helpful to visa applicants.

Website http://www.philippines.embassy.gov.au/mnla/visaperm.html

Infosheet 40

http://www.philippines.embassy.gov.au/mnla...0-%20070807.pdf

Checksheet 40

http://www.philippines.embassy.gov.au/mnla...0-%20090207.pdf

Any advice on how much in terms of say pages, of what is expected of the Thai Spouse to write their statement.

I suppose an obvious answer would be as much as possible, but I've found with a few friends and their applications that the Thai lady, no matter how well her spoken English is, they find it hard to write an actual submission.

Even taking into account that they may first compose it in their own language!

Reading between the lines here over the last few months, the Case Officers seem to really expect a lot from the Thai applicants which I feel is quite unfair given the life some of these lady's have had.

I'm not in any way suggesting they be lenient, but discrimination is a word that comes to mind in reading some of the posts that have been made recently.

One for instance was the applicant that was frowned upon for not having a photo display of the Amphur signing!

What a joke, most of the Amphur settings are entirely mechanical and only there to serve a purpose of community matters.

Almost all Thai's look only at the ceremonial marriage as the one to remember and going to the Amphur later is no different to paying the water bill.

Edited by fishhooks

I recently applied wit my TGF for a Fiamce Visa. Just simply follow the information provided and you will not have any problems. Make sure you provide all information and be clear with everything. We applied and the Fiance visa was approved in 2 weeks. Pretty good if you ask me ... and very simple

Any advice on how much in terms of say pages, of what is expected of the Thai Spouse to write their statement.

I suppose an obvious answer would be as much as possible, but I've found with a few friends and their applications that the Thai lady, no matter how well her spoken English is, they find it hard to write an actual submission.

Reading between the lines here over the last few months, the Case Officers seem to really expect a lot from the Thai applicants which I feel is quite unfair given the life some of these lady's have had.

She needs to write her story of your time together....how you and when you met...what you have done together since then...in her words.

If she has to do that in Thai then it will need to be translated.....

Include dates...names and places...Also she needs to write about what you do for a living...things that she knows you like etc....

Remember at the interview, some questions may come from the statements that you have both made.

The length is not important....the content is...However dont make it a novel....just a clear and concise account....More is not best in this situation.

Edited by gburns57au

I'm not in any way suggesting they be lenient, but discrimination is a word that comes to mind in reading some of the posts that have been made recently.

One for instance was the applicant that was frowned upon for not having a photo display of the Amphur signing!

What a joke, most of the Amphur settings are entirely mechanical and only there to serve a purpose of community matters.

Almost all Thai's look only at the ceremonial marriage as the one to remember and going to the Amphur later is no different to paying the water bill.

The easiest way is to make both your statements simple, short sentences that are clear,concise and to the point, then sign and date them.

If you had a Buddhist ceremony you should supply photographs of this as this shows family members (and is additional evidence that you have met the applicants family in person). These are probably the most important photos that are supplied.

Proof of legal marriage are the documents you receive at the Amphur Office.

The applicant will be interviewed on what is in those statements to verify them.

The interview is carried out to satisfy DIAC that the marriage is genuine and not a sham one and to see the applicant in person.

Edited by david96

In our situation we didnt have a buddhist wedding, so no photos from there. We just went to the amphur and got it all done there. Once again no photos there either. As I have lived in our house there for about 3 years I have a few photos with other family members, not including the kids which I have many photos of.

Its getting close to the time when we submit our application and every time I see a new post from someone else I thing have I done enough. We will see in a couple of weeks

Good luck everyone