Reentry On An Ongoing Visa

• 2 weeks later...
You would need a re-entry permit at 1,000 baht and be back before your current permitted to stay until stamp expires (the date put on the re-entry permit). You obtain at an Immigration office.

Thanks for the reply - does it take long to get the re-entry permit?

I'm currently in Koh Lanta - where is the closest Immigration Office to get an extention on my visa? We're a family of 6, do I have to take everyone with me to get the extensions done?

How long before the current visa runs out can you apply for an extension? Do you need to bring anything else than your passport+visa when you get the extension?

I'm traveling on a double entry visa, is it possible to get a "normal" visa on entry (if I go out and don't get the reentry-permit) while I still have one entry left on my double entry visa?

About a week or so with money/photo/copies of passport and departure card.

If you are asking about a visa exempt stamp (30 day) rather than using your second visa entry it would be up to the immigration officer. But I suspect you only have 3 months to use your visa and if you are getting an extension on your first entry you would not seem to have time for such a thing.

About a week or so with money/photo/copies of passport and departure card.

If you are asking about a visa exempt stamp (30 day) rather than using your second visa entry it would be up to the immigration officer. But I suspect you only have 3 months to use your visa and if you are getting an extension on your first entry you would not seem to have time for such a thing.

Thanks a lot for the quick replies, they're a --lot-- of help to me as a novice of Thai immigration-practice.

We will have some problems going the last week of our visa (I am gone, and the wife is hard pressed to travel for some hours by boat on her own with four rowdy kids). Is there a big chance on being refused an extension if we go tomorrow and our current visa runs out on the 16th of Feb?

People have used it but don't know exact location.
Amphoe Muang Krabi 81000 0-7561-1097 [email protected]

I assume this is located at the same place:(?)

Krabi Tourism Coordination Centre

Areas of Responsibility : Krabi

Uttarakit Rd., Amphoe Mueang, krabi 81000

Tel. 0 7562 2163

Fax. 0 7562 2164

E-mail Address : [email protected]

I went the day I was supposed to, and the driver of our minibus from Koh Lanta knew where the Immigration office was. It's btw not the same place as the above center.

Anyway, when in the office I was told that you only had to get an extension for people aged 14 and above. This means my wife and I hold passports with visas valid until the 18th of March and the kids hold visas valid for 30 days less. This, she said, was no problem. Has anyone else heard the same?

The lady also promised me that I didn't need a re-entry permit when I leave on a diving-trip. And that I'd get a 30 day stamp when I would get back in (and they wouldn't use my 2nd entry on my double-entry visa).

I just hope they know what they are doing, but then you can trust immigration, can't you? :o

Thanks for the help, so far.

1. You asked about staying on your first entry - if you do not use re-entry permit and are allowed to enter on a 30 day visa exempt entry you will not have the option of a 30 day extension of stay that you had on a first entry tourist visa. So up to you.

2. If under age 14 there will not be any overstay charge when they exit the country.

3. As said - you need a re-entry permit if you intend to remain on your first visa entry and wish to use the extension of stay it affords. But it is up to what fists your needs. They can not guarantee that your 2nd visa entry will not be used on your return as it is up to the officer involved. But if you are polite am quite sure it will not be a problem.

Let me see if I've gotten this straight. If I leave now and don't use a re-entry permit, I get a new visa stamp (assuming that goes well) that gives me 30 more days in Thailand. After this I will leave the country and come back after a while on my 2nd visa entry as given me from the Thai embassy in Norway. Now as I didn't use a re-entry permit and have a visa-on-arrival from before and an extention on the 1st of my visa-entries, I will not be given an extention on this last part of my double-entry visa? :o

You can still get a 30 day extension on your second entry - it is the chance to obtain on your first entry that you will not have. But if your trip out is more than a couple of days the 30 day visa exempt entry is probably better for you in any case - but it is not guaranteed as it will be up to the officer involved.