Visa

I am in possession of a Non Immigrant B which will not expire till April 3/2005.

Is it possible to then go to KL or Penang and get a 60 days Visa { Tourist } and keep doing this till the end of the year.

I have a Non Immigrant B which was granted by the Buddhist University where I teach but have resigned as from end of this month and they are not going to cancel my Visa but let it extend to its stamped date of April 3rd, then I have to decide my next move as I dont wish to return to Australia but would prefer Malaysia. I dont know what the consulate will make of things seeing a Non Immigrant B and then asking for a tourist visa as I will no longer be working in Thailand..

Many thanks to all who bother to give me some advice

Dukkha :o

I will be living in Hua Hin from December through to April 1st before I have to make a decision

It is not clear what you have as a visa would not be issued by a University. It appears you have an extension of stay based on your employment/work permit and that both work permit and extension should be taken care of (canceled) before you do anything else.

As for the last sentence can only assume you are talking about your life plans rather than the visa question?

I think you are confused here.

The visa was not issued by the university!

As Lopburi states it is dependant on your Work permit at the University!

Since that has lapsed the visa should also be changed, and cancelled.

Then you should have no trouble applying for the Tourist Visa in Penang.

I think you are confused here.

The visa was not issued by the university!

As Lopburi states it is dependant on your Work permit at the University!

Since that has lapsed the visa should also be changed, and cancelled.

Then you should have no trouble applying for the Tourist Visa in Penang.

Go into Immigration with the WP and passport. They might ( that was might ) cancel it for you, and issue a TR instead. Are you leaving the Uni' on good terms ? The others are right, the Uni cannot issue visa's ( even Buddhist Uni's :o )

Yet again, massive confusion errupts over mixing up the terms "visa" and "entry permit".

You can only hold one visa at a time - it is issued outside Thailand by a Thai diplomatic post - and if it is multiple-entry, it is valid until its expiration date. Nothing that happens inside Thailand affects expiration date of a multiple-entry visa.

I believe that most Thai diplomatic posts will be willing to cancel an existing visa by replacing it with a new visa stamp - if the situation warrants. But - if you have a Class B visa, just ride it out - there is nothing wrong with entering Thailand on a still valid Class B visa, without holding a work permit.

Most likely, you were talking about an entry permit issued against a Class B visa. Yoyr University is terminating your employmenrt, but not turing in your work permit - which would cause your entry permit to be cancelled. They are attempting to help you - and thsi is good. But - be aware that for as long as that work permit is still "out", your University is supposed be paying the personal income tax withholding on the salary stated in the work permit. Most employers will NOT do this - meaning that you may be lible for thsia mount - and also a fine - when the work permit is finally turned in. The Labor Ministry is not 100% efficient at catching these situations - but it can and does happen.

What you can do at any pint is depart Thailand, obtain a 60 day tourist visa, and then return to Thailand in that status. The fact that you previously held a Class B visa will not be held against you.

If you do this, best to tell the university to go ahead and turn in your work permit, to avoid future complications.

Good luck!

Steve Sykes

Managing Director

Indo-Siam Group

[email protected]

www.thaistartup.com