Real Estate Rules-who Knows The Truth

I am going to move to Thailand in a couple of years if I can get this information straight. It appears as though this is just opinion and nobody actually knows the truth about Farangs owning a place to live…including the government officials.

Here is the question:

I am married to Thai and need to own a place to live in Thailand. I do not have a problem with my wife or her sixteen year old daughter, today, but things change. If my wife were to die, I am told that the property would go to the daughter. If this happens many years from now when I am 80 years+, what happens to me?

When you are young, things are simple, but when I get old, I do not want to be out in the street penniless in Thailand. What can be done to safeguard our safety? I have tried the company route twice and every time “Paid too much” for the Lawyers and ended up with a non functioning company that is going to cost me another 15,000 baht to close it down.

Thailand is wonderful at coming up with ways and services to part Farangs from their money, but I have never seen any Thai actually provide a professional service in any form. Now, before I hear “if you don’t like the place…go home”, I need to solve this dilemma or that is exactly what I am going to do.

"Thailand is wonderful at coming up with ways and services to part Farangs from their money, but I have never seen any Thai actually provide a professional service in any form. Now, before I hear 'if you don’t like the place…go home', I need to solve this dilemma or that is exactly what I am going to do."

Your attitude would indicate that you should stay exactly where you are. Too, the questions you have asked have been answered many times in this idscussion group. With your conviction that no one - foreign or national, commercial or governmental - has any straight answers, it's strange that you would ask us to assist you.

Here is the question:

I am married to Thai and need to own a place to live in Thailand. I do not have a problem with my wife or her sixteen year old daughter, today, but things change. If my wife were to die, I am told that the property would go to the daughter. If this happens many years from now when I am 80 years+, what happens to me?

Probably the best way to help protect yourself since farangs cannot own land (except in unique & BIG money investment situations) is to consider doing a "lifetime usufruct." While you can't own the land, the lifetime usufruct would provide you possession, use, and enjoyment of the property until you die...then the usufruct would be void. Kinda like leasing a car for a certain period of time or a land leasehold. Upon your death the owner of the land (i.e., the daughter or whoever) would then be able to do whatever such as sell the land.

Contact a legal firm such as Sunbelt...Sunbelt can provide you a lifetime usufruct for approx 10,200 baht (includes the 7% VAT) for registration at the land office. Their usufruct includes a Thai and English language version of the usufruct (Thai version for the land office; English version for your info/use). Expect other legal firms may charge about the same.

And assuming your Thai wife is providing you the land management rights at zero baht (i.e., basically a no fee lease) for the term of the usufruct (i.e., your lifetime), the land office usufruct fee (i.e., registers it on the chanote) would be less than 500 baht. Total cost of the usufruct should come in under 11,000 baht.

I am going to move to Thailand in a couple of years if I can get this information straight. It appears as though this is just opinion and nobody actually knows the truth about Farangs owning a place to live…including the government officials.

Here is the question:

When you are young, things are simple, but when I get old, I do not want to be out in the street penniless in Thailand. What can be done to safeguard our safety? I have tried the company route twice and every time "Paid too much" for the Lawyers and ended up with a non functioning company that is going to cost me another 15,000 baht to close it down.

Why do you need to own a place to live in Thailand , whats wrong with just Renting ,i am sure you can still get a Visa ,depending on your circumstances , also by saying you went company route , i take it you are looking at buying land and now in the wifes name ,instead of a freehold in your name ,

Also you said safeguard OUR safety ????? , Since you are worried about your future , Just Rent ,problem solved

Here is the question:

When you are young, things are simple, but when I get old, I do not want to be out in the street penniless in Thailand. What can be done to safeguard our safety? I have tried the company route twice and every time "Paid too much" for the Lawyers and ended up with a non functioning company that is going to cost me another 15,000 baht to close it down.

Why do you need to own a place to live in Thailand , whats wrong with just Renting ,i am sure you can still get a Visa ,depending on your circumstances , also by saying you went company route , i take it you are looking at buying land and now in the wifes name ,instead of a freehold in your name ,

Also you said safeguard OUR safety ????? , Since you are worried about your future , Just Rent ,problem solved

Agree. I've been through this so many times now (the 'conundrum'), and a very close call with buying (bank backed down at last minute - after appraisal), that I think renting is the best option. Keep your money somewhere else - warm and dry. There's no rush - look at property prices in America and UK. What's the rush? I will never buy a place in my wife's name alone - unless I win some huge lottery - then who cares - she can have as many as likes. Til then, "love me, love my family" - the money and property ain't part of the deal.

Here is the question:

Thailand is wonderful at coming up with ways and services to part Farangs from their money, but I have never seen any Thai actually provide a professional service in any form. Now, before I hear "if you don't like the place…go home", I need to solve this dilemma or that is exactly what I am going to do.

If you don't like being ripped off...go home. :o

the usufruct seems to be the way to go if you want to own something here.

it grants you all the rights to the property and is different from a regular lease in that, as stated, can last your lifetime, and if you we're to have a falling out with your wife, she doesnt have access to the property or to enter it, as i have been told...

So the options are:

1 Usufruct (as discussed above)

2 Renting (Renting is quite easy in Thailand, just drive around an area you like and look for "For Rent" signs - no need to pay Agency fees)

3 30 Year Lease

4 Buy a condo in your name

5 Draw up wills in Thailand. I am not sure the property would necessarily go to the daughter. I have heard of foreigners inheriting property.

Here is the question:

Probably the best way to help protect yourself since farangs cannot own land (except in unique & BIG money investment situations) is to consider doing a "lifetime usufruct." While you can't own the land, the lifetime usufruct would provide you possession, use, and enjoyment of the property until you die...then the usufruct would be void. Kinda like leasing a car for a certain period of time or a land leasehold. Upon your death the owner of the land (i.e., the daughter or whoever) would then be able to do whatever such as sell the land.

Contact a legal firm such as Sunbelt...Sunbelt can provide you a lifetime usufruct for approx 10,200 baht (includes the 7% VAT) for registration at the land office. Their usufruct includes a Thai and English language version of the usufruct (Thai version for the land office; English version for your info/use). Expect other legal firms may charge about the same.

And assuming your Thai wife is providing you the land management rights at zero baht (i.e., basically a no fee lease) for the term of the usufruct (i.e., your lifetime), the land office usufruct fee (i.e., registers it on the chanote) would be less than 500 baht. Total cost of the usufruct should come in under 11,000 baht.

Thank you Pib, exactly what I needed

"Thailand is wonderful at coming up with ways and services to part Farangs from their money, but I have never seen any Thai actually provide a professional service in any form. Now, before I hear 'if you don't like the place…go home', I need to solve this dilemma or that is exactly what I am going to do."

Your attitude would indicate that you should stay exactly where you are. Too, the questions you have asked have been answered many times in this idscussion group. With your conviction that no one - foreign or national, commercial or governmental - has any straight answers, it's strange that you would ask us to assist you.

IDIOT

5 Draw up wills in Thailand. I am not sure the property would necessarily go to the daughter. I have heard of foreigners inheriting property.

Is there a legal requirement for the foreign inheriter to sell the land within a certain period of time? Not that that inherently is good or bad, since it would give the OP a chance to recoup some of the investment and give him funds to continue living in Thailand not out in the street penniless at age 80.

So the options are:

2 Renting (Renting is quite easy in Thailand, just drive around an area you like and look for "For Rent" signs - no need to pay Agency fees)

3 30 Year Lease

This is the problem I have found. When I talk to lawyers they tell me that a simple Will is all I need. When I did this, another lawyer told me the Will was not legal. They said that a document cannot over rule Thai Law...sounds good, but who really knows Thai Law. You can attempt to buy a answer, but there is no way of knowing if the answer is valid until it is tested, then it might be too late.

Having a legal reference and the name of a good lawyer, is also not reliable. I have been told to go to University to learn the Thai language perfectly (takes 6-months if you work hard), then you can ask and probably get the truth. Thanks for your help though.

Edited by Cipher

[/size]

Here is the question:

Thailand is wonderful at coming up with ways and services to part Farangs from their money, but I have never seen any Thai actually provide a professional service in any form. Now, before I hear "if you don't like the place…go home", I need to solve this dilemma or that is exactly what I am going to do.

If you don't like being ripped off...go home. :o

That is probably the most stupid thing I have ever read…congratulations.

So the options are:

3 30 Year Lease

This is the problem I have found. When I talk to lawyers they tell me that a simple Will is all I need. When I did this, another lawyer told me the Will was not legal. They said that a document cannot over rule Thai Law...sounds good, but who really knows Thai Law. You can attempt to buy a answer, but there is no way of knowing if the answer is valid until it is tested, then it might be too late.

Having a legal reference and the name of a good lawyer, is also not reliable. I have been told to go to University to learn the Thai language perfectly (takes 6-months if you work hard), then you can ask and probably get the truth. Thanks for your help though.

Thai law seems to be one huge grey area with virtually no black or white. However, from what I have read, if wills are drawn up correctly, the marriage estate would not go directly to the daughter. The worst case scenario would be you would have one year to sell the land (or come up with another solution such as a lease arrangement). So at least you wouldn't be penniless and homeless. I think Sunbelt Asia seem to know what they are talking about.

So the options are:

3 30 Year Lease

Ade provided some very good advice here, yet you seem as though you do not want to take it.

Forget about a will look again at options 1-4 all of which will address your needs adequately.

Or of course you can just forget all this spend the next 6 months learning how to read Thai, and then spend an incalculable amount of time learning to become a Thai lawyer yourself. (The written Thai legalese is even more archaic than English legalese, some letters are reserved for legal use and are never even used in day to day communication). Far easier than using a recommended legal outfit...

So the options are:

3 30 Year Lease

Cite me a few cases of foreigners inheriting property. :o

After reading the thread, my advice to you is not to rush into any property acquisition. If necessary, just rent and mull over the choices. Should you eventually find one that is definitely to your liking and really have to buy, if it is a landed house, then use the usufruct route. But if it is a condo, then it should be in your name only.

After reading the thread, my advice to you is not to rush into any property acquisition. If necessary, just rent and mull over the choices. Should you eventually find one that is definitely to your liking and really have to buy, if it is a landed house, then use the usufruct route. But if it is a condo, then it should be in your name only.

We could probably shut down the entire debate by re-routing all posts to ths actually...as usual, nice one, Irene.

So the options are:

3 30 Year Lease

Cite me a few cases of foreigners inheriting property. :o

I have no cases I am afraid but I did read about it in places such as this:

http://www.samuiforsale.com/Rights_Inheritance.htm

My Thai lawyer also confirmed that I could inherit land but would probably have to sell it within a year (assuming the laws hadn't changed by then)

Foreigners can inherit land but it's pretty worthless, because - as has been indicated already - it has to be disposed of within a year. And when you have to sell, you can guarantee you'll not get a fair price for it.

Usufruct is the only way to go. Normally it costs up to 1.5% of the property value to register this at the land office, but if you are married to a Thai the fee is a nominal 200-1000baht, depending on the landoffice. The real benefit of the usufruct is that you will continue to enjoy the right to use the land in the event of a marital breakdown or even your wife's death. It applies to YOUR lifetime, not hers.

The disadvantage, of course, is that you never own the land and that it reverts to the real owner (your wife or whoever she has bequeathed it to in the event of her death) when you die, but as you won't need it then, i guess that's not too much of an issue except for any estate planning strategies you might have.

There is one loophole in the law. A foreigner may own up to one rai of land for residential use subject to the permission of the Ministry of Interior. However, the unwritten understanding is that that permission is only granted to foreigners willing to deposit 40million baht or more in Thai Government Bonds.

Is there a legal requirement for the foreign inheriter to sell the land within a certain period of time? Not that that inherently is good or bad, since it would give the OP a chance to recoup some of the investment and give him funds to continue living in Thailand not out in the street penniless at age 80.

If ur legally married all her things inclduing land/houses care whatevers in her name go to you . If it land u have 1 year to sell it.

The best is buy the land and place in her name, ( note that u DO have to sign a paper that says it is HER money not yours) and get her to sign a 30 year registered lease so ur name goes on the back of the chanote or nor sor sam gor paper.

You could alsp place it in ur daughter name if she has her id card and do the same.

BUT i agree it is easeir to just rent hence reason I am selling my house. Here we really have no idea what future laws they will come up with.

recall it was easy to get a retirement extension , then u needed 800,000 in the bank for a day, now its for 3 months.

Whose to say they wont raise it to 1,000,000, 2,000,000 for a year.!!

RENT and not worry

Edited by phuketrichard

Here is the question:

I think you will find that sunbelts fees for doing this is more approx 25,000 baht to 35,000 baht depending on which land office you go to. If you must buy property then don't spend more than you are prepared to lose. I agree with irene that you should rent first.

regards

scotsman

Here is the question:

I think you will find that sunbelts fees for doing this is more approx 25,000 baht to 35,000 baht depending on which land office you go to. If you must buy property then don't spend more than you are prepared to lose. I agree with irene that you should rent first.

regards

scotsman

Nope, the costs/fees I quoted are very accurate...I just did this in Jan 08 (a few week ago). Used the Bangkok Noi Land Office.

I did it a few years back with them and the cost of the registration at the land office in pattaya is 13,680 baht but then you have the tea money approx 4,000 baht depending on which land department you go to. Then you have sunbelts fees 20,330 baht inc +vat 7% total 38,010.00 baht I also had sunbelt remove a mortgage on the house papers before I got the usufruct so it would be little less than this. But I can tell you if you contact them they will tell you there fees but I am sure its approx 25k or more all in to do this.I have the receipt in front of me so If it only cost you 11k in bangkok good luck to you. If sunbelt do all the paper work in Thai & English & register it for you then it will be a lot more than 11k.

Edited by scotsman

Depending on where you want to live. Buying a condo in the 49% foreign owed category is easy and very legal. You can get the chanote in your name and not worry about what happens if. Condo living is not for everyone but we have come to really enjoy it and don't have to worry about cleaning the pool, tending the garden or keeping up the outside. You have a lot of people saying don't buy anything in Thailand, they were saying that when the dollar was at 40 and will probably be saying that when it is at 30. I haven't heard any logic to go with those statements, well one was saying no one is buying condos. In the last 5 months out of 12 for sale only 3 are left. That is mostly because they are not well positioned in the building. Although I do agree it is a good idea to rent for a while until you are happy with everything and know the area you would like to live. Good luck in whatever you decide.

I did it a few years back with them and the cost of the registration at the land office in pattaya is 13,680 baht but then you have the tea money approx 4,000 baht depending on which land department you go to. Then you have sunbelts fees 20,330 baht inc +vat 7% total 38,010.00 baht I also had sunbelt remove a mortgage on the house papers before I got the usufruct so it would be little less than this. But I can tell you if you contact them they will tell you there fees but I am sure its approx 25k or more all in to do this.I have the receipt in front of me so If it only cost you 11k in bangkok good luck to you. If sunbelt do all the paper work in Thai & English & register it for you then it will be a lot more than 11k.

Got my Sunbelt receipt in hand also. I did not use any Sunbelt assistance other than them drawing up the usufruct in Thai & Engish at their office. Sounds like you may have had some other Sunbelt fees, like the mortgage work. And if you had them go with you to the land office or other leg work outside their office, it adds another approximate 10,000 baht according to their fee schedule which is on their web site. Was very happy with Sunbelts advice and documentation preparation. Cheers.

Here is the question:

NO land office in chonburi is doing a usafruct and probably not in thailand so why do i here the same story attached to the same company?????????

Here is the question:

NO land office in chonburi is doing a usafruct and probably not in thailand so why do i here the same story attached to the same company?????????

Here is the question:

No doubt different land offices may be more challenging than others depending on each land transfer situation. Just stating fact that Sunbelt provided me great service...expect other legal firms can do the same. Cheers.