Visatrip To Vientiane

Hi,

I need to get a (tourist)visa, I'd like to go to Vientiane, Laos, I would like to go there with an organized tour,

is there anyone who can recommend a tour operator that does visa tours to Vientiane(by car/van)?

I would like to go this week.

Thanks for any information.

jacks golf on the corner of suk soi 12, about 6000 baht but they dont go vientiane they go somewhere nearer..takes about 2 days

Thanks for the reply.

I've contacted JackGolf and this is what they replied:

"Thank you very much for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, our visa tour to Savanakhet has been suspended since Dec for

the consulate doesn't issue tourist visa anymore.

We have alternative service.

We keep your passport, send it to Penang.

You will have single entry of TRV without going but it takes about 4 weeks

to return your passport.

If you are interested in please call to office. the price is 10500B.

Thank you & Best regards.

Sony"

Later I've heared:

"Savannsakhet still issue TV, but require a bankbook/statement for the

past 6 month which shows a balance with a minimum of THB 45,000.-."

Thats why I would like to go to Vientiane now so I can get a visa without the hassle of providing any extra documents.

jacks golf on the corner of suk soi 12, about 6000 baht but they dont go vientiane they go somewhere nearer..takes about 2 days

We have alternative service.

You will have single entry of TRV without going but it takes about 4 weeks

to return your passport.

If you are interested in please call to office. the price is 10500B.

Thank you & Best regards.

Sony"

Stay clear of this as it is illegal and will get you in big trouble.

Ow....

then i would consider just going yourself..it really is very very easy....there has been many threads regarding how to do it but incase you cant be bothered to search this is how...

Just get train from BKK to Nong Khai then tuk tuk to border then taxi from otherside of border straight to embassy,drop passport off, then go get a room for one night, pick passport back up in the afternoon then taxi straight to border,train back to BKK

Very very easy

Its not a difficult trip to do by yourself... search the forum,there are lots of posts.

Usually I do each visarun alone, I also been to Savannakhet once.

The thing is, when you go with an organized tour, you don't have to look for a hotel, transportation is arranged, and you are back in Bangkok more quickly then when you would travel alone.

Thanks for the reply

Its very easy to go to Vientiane by yourself.

The cheapest way is by a 24 seat VIP bus from Morchit to Nong Khai. Bus departs every hour from about 5pm to 9pm and arrives early next morning. Then get a tuktuk to the Thai boarder. Then get on the Laos bus to the Laos border. Get your visa on entry (1500 Baht) then get a taxi into the town. All taxi drivers and tuktuks know the Thai consulate.

Alternatively fly from BKK on one of the cheap carriers to Udon Thani, get the minibus at the airport that goes to Nong Khai and tell the driver you want Friendship Bridge and he'll drop you at the boarder, then follow same as above.

Its not a difficult trip to do by yourself... search the forum,there are lots of posts.

Usually I do each visarun alone, I also been to Savannakhet once.

The thing is, when you go with an organized tour, you don't have to look for a hotel, transportation is arranged, and you are back in Bangkok more quickly then when you would travel alone.

Thanks for the reply

Can fly to Udon Thani from BKK with Air Asia. A mini bus will take you to the Nong Kai border from Udon airport.

Why go on these expensive tours while it's so easy to do it yourself:

1 - Buy either a ticket on Air Asia to Udon Thani and travel to Vientiane overland or a direct ticket Bangkok-Vientiane on Lao Airlines or Thai.

2 - Book a hotel in advance through the Web (http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com). They'll pick you up and drop you off for free at the airport.

3 - Arrive around 7:30 am at the Consular section of the Embassy in Vientiane (Rue 23 Singha). Make sure you end up at the right place, not at the embassy.

4 - Ask the guy across the street to fill in your form, make a copy of your passport and staple your pictures. Make sure (if it's a Tourist Visa you're after) that you add 'x2'

after the TR type

5 - Wait for one hour, submit your form, passport copy and passport at the desk. Proceed to the cashier across the grass field and pay your fee.

6 - Next day pick your passport up with a new double entry Tourist Visa

Costs:

Transportation THB 3,500 - THB 11,000 depending on the mode of transport

Visa fee into Laos US$35

Hotel US$20-US$30

Fill in form guy: 100 baht

Visa fee THB 2,000

Don't know which travel company organizes these tours. Met guys who came by organized bus tour (with option to travel by plane).

================================================================================

=======

================================================================================

=======

I believe this is illegal. Furthermore, I don't like to be without my passport for 4 weeks.

Edited by sniffdog

Why go on these expensive tours while it's so easy to do it yourself:

1 - Buy either a ticket on Air Asia to Udon Thani and travel to Vientiane overland or a direct ticket Bangkok-Vientiane on Lao Airlines or Thai.

2 - Book a hotel in advance through the Web (http://www.aroonresidencehotel.com). They'll pick you up and drop you off for free at the airport.

3 - Arrive around 7:30 am at the Consular section of the Embassy in Vientiane (Rue 23 Singha). Make sure you end up at the right place, not at the embassy.

4 - Ask the guy across the street to fill in your form, make a copy of your passport and staple your pictures. Make sure (if it's a Tourist Visa you're after) that you add 'x2'

after the TR type

5 - Wait for one hour, submit your form, passport copy and passport at the desk. Proceed to the cashier across the grass field and pay your fee.

6 - Next day pick your passport up with a new double entry Tourist Visa

Costs:

Transportation THB 3,500 - THB 11,000 depending on the mode of transport

Visa fee into Laos US$35

Hotel US$20-US$30

Fill in form guy: 100 baht

Visa fee THB 2,000

Don't know which travel company organizes these tours. Met guys who came by organized b7.us tour (with option to travel by plane).

=======

=======

I believe this is illegal. Furthermore, I don't like to be without my passport for 4 weeks.

Thanks a lot for all information guys,

After reading all this, I've decided going to Vientiane by myself, my first choice for transportation would be with airasia for 750b to Udon, but since the arrival time is not so convenient(arrival 1715 (UTH).

I go by train(sleeper) to Nong Khai, leaving Bangkok at 18.30 and arriving 5.05 @ Nong Khai, from 5.05 I should have enough time getting to the embassy @ Vientiane and applying for a visa or?..

Overnight at aroonresidencehotel, the next day pick up my passport and back to Bangkok..

Getting to the border:

How much time would it take to travel from Nong Khai Railway station to the border?

Is there transportation from the railway station to the border and what does it cost?

Getting from the border to the Embassy:

What about transportation from the border to the Thai embassy? (approx. costs?)

At the Thai embassy in Vientiane:

Visa applications can be submitted till what time at the embassy?

What is the passport/visa pick-up time?

Is it ALWAYS "next day" passport pick-up? (consider to book my return trip in advance)

Thanks again :o

R.H.,

To the border from the center of Nong Khai, no more than 20-30 minutes (probably even less). Make an advance booking with Aroon Residence and ask them to pick you up from the Friendship Bridge (charge US$10). Then ask them to take you either to the embassy straight away or bring you to the hotel and walk about 10-15 minutes to the embassy (They can inform you how to walk, very easy). The approx cost

from the border to the hotel will be 250 baht by taxi. US$10 is a little more but more comfortable (Aroon Residence has a van) and chance is that a regular taxi can't find the hotel that easily.

There's also a 80 baht bus from Nong Khai to Vientiane but I think it leaves at 7:00 am, a two hour wait. Plus you have to make your own way to the embassy/hotel.

If you arrive in Nong Khai at 5:05 am, you probably don't want to go to the embassy first (around 30-40 minutes) because you will arrive much to early (the embassy takes applications from 8:30am to noon).

Better get to the hotel with their van, fresh up and walk a couple of minutes. You'll plenty of time ...

Pickup time is 01:00 pm to 03:00 pm. If there are no problems with your papers (none required for a Tourist Visa), next day is the norm.

If don't have to penny pinch, you can also catch an early Thai flight to Vientiane (7 am or so), next day back in the evening (9:40 pm). You'll need just one night hotel. I flew into Vientiane in the afternoon on day 1, submitted on day 2, picked up my passport and returned in the afternoon of day 3.

PS Take a sweater with you .... and no female guests allowed in the hotel, only same sex guests!

Edited by sniffdog

If you look in the Bangkok Post classifieds, travel section, there is at least one tour

company still travelling to Vientiane for the tourist visa package. Bri-Joy travel.

I think their quoted price is 8,800 baht - 1k if you bring the coupon. In no way an

endorsement, but some are clearly spending far in excess of that going alone.

Economies of scale should also benefit the traveller. I'm not a big fan of the tour

companies but when you look at the score of transactions the independent must

undergo, I have to confess they do provide a service. Doing this by yourself

requires planning approaching that of a precision military operation. Yikes. :o

When I did my Cambodia border run two weeks ago, I used Quick Thai Visa Run (www.thaivisarun.com) for the first time.

They had a sign posted on the bus advertising a Laos tourist visa run service for 5900 Baht that departs BKK on Sundays.

Check their site for the phone number to get more details.

Here's my review for their Cambodia visa run service:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163535&st=0&p=1758085

Happy running!

Getting to the border:

How much time would it take to travel from Nong Khai Railway station to the border?

Is there transportation from the railway station to the border and what does it cost?

Getting from the border to the Embassy:

What about transportation from the border to the Thai embassy? (approx. costs?)

At the Thai embassy in Vientiane:

Visa applications can be submitted till what time at the embassy?

What is the passport/visa pick-up time?

Is it ALWAYS "next day" passport pick-up? (consider to book my return trip in advance)

Thanks again :o

it takes 5 minutes via tuk-tuk at 30 baht to get to the border and they will be waiting for you when your train comes..

try and get 35 US dollars before you get to the Laos border as there rate is crap..

Once through it will cost around 200baht for your own taxi straight to the embassy who take apps up til 12(make sure you have 2 photos and a photocopy of passport to save time)

You can pick up your passport after 1 and before 3 the next day...(they do drop offs morning and pickups in afternoon)

and will safely be back in time for the 6.15 from Nong Khai back to Bkk

Also everywhere there takes baht and gives change in kip so change up all your money into 100baht notes that way you wont get kip you dont need

hope this helps

When I did my Cambodia border run two weeks ago, I used Quick Thai Visa Run (www.thaivisarun.com) for the first time.

They had a sign posted on the bus advertising a Laos tourist visa run service for 5900 Baht that departs BKK on Sundays.

Check their site for the phone number to get more details.

Here's my review for their Cambodia visa run service:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=163535&st=0&p=1758085

Happy running!

There are 2 companies offering a good value service.

Thaivisarun.com and thaivisaservice.com.

Both offer trips twice a week, but do not do much advertisement.

Just call the owners and they will advise you with the most current status re visarules ,etc

• 1 year later...
R.H.,

To the border from the center of Nong Khai, no more than 20-30 minutes (probably even less). Make an advance booking with Aroon Residence and ask them to pick you up from the Friendship Bridge (charge US$10). Then ask them to take you either to the embassy straight away or bring you to the hotel and walk about 10-15 minutes to the embassy (They can inform you how to walk, very easy). The approx cost

from the border to the hotel will be 250 baht by taxi. US$10 is a little more but more comfortable (Aroon Residence has a van) and chance is that a regular taxi can't find the hotel that easily.

There's also a 80 baht bus from Nong Khai to Vientiane but I think it leaves at 7:00 am, a two hour wait. Plus you have to make your own way to the embassy/hotel.

If you arrive in Nong Khai at 5:05 am, you probably don't want to go to the embassy first (around 30-40 minutes) because you will arrive much to early (the embassy takes applications from 8:30am to noon).

Better get to the hotel with their van, fresh up and walk a couple of minutes. You'll plenty of time ...

Pickup time is 01:00 pm to 03:00 pm. If there are no problems with your papers (none required for a Tourist Visa), next day is the norm.

If don't have to penny pinch, you can also catch an early Thai flight to Vientiane (7 am or so), next day back in the evening (9:40 pm). You'll need just one night hotel. I flew into Vientiane in the afternoon on day 1, submitted on day 2, picked up my passport and returned in the afternoon of day 3.

PS Take a sweater with you .... and no female guests allowed in the hotel, only same sex guests!

Hi Sniffdog.

As you can see I've been 'grave digging', I'm going to Laos for the 1st time next week. Stay 3-4 days.

Is your info still current?

Good informative post BTW. :)

cheers

gd

I did the laos tourist visa run last month...

Overnight sleeper from Bkk depart 8pm from Hua lum phong (stops at different stations on the way out of Bkk)

each way 1500 Baht 1st class cabin (2 people each cabin/sink/aircon) the train carriage is locked off from the rest of the train so only a small amount of people..1 western toilet/shower / 1 thai toilet.

arrives in the morning at nong khai (breakfast and dinner is served but is chargeable optional) bland food and beer is expensive on board (leo double price)

take the new train service from nong khai into laos (fast immigration as only the people on the train go through here)

take taxi from airport with 6 / 7 people 100 baht each to the new consulate..

opposite the main gate..get your form filled in and passport photocopied for 50 baht.

Go into the complex take a ticket from the machine in the far right hand corner and wait for your number then submit your forms and go into the building on your left handside and await for your receipt to collect your passport the next day.

Next day go about 1 hour after the gates open the the queue will have gone down and you can walk straight in.. otherwise if you go before the gates open everyone is queuing and you will have to stand around for an hour.

any more questions? post them here as i did this journey last month..

I did the laos tourist visa run last month...

take the new train service from nong khai into laos (fast immigration as only the people on the train go through here)

Next day go about 1 hour after the gates open the the queue will have gone down and you can walk straight in.. otherwise if you go before the gates open everyone is queuing and you will have to stand around for an hour.

any more questions? post them here as i did this journey last month..

Hi Sanook.

Thanks for responding.

Could you give some more info about the train from NK to? Laos Immigration?

First time I've heard of that service. :)

It is an extension of the morning arrival express train which goes across the bridge to a stop inside Laos (but well short of Vientiane) where you clear immigration and obtain onward transport. Few pax so fast service. Not sure if there are more than the morning run.

4 Oct Bouk Ok Pansa (Buddhist Fast ends).

5 Oct 2009

Boat Racing Festival

วันหยุดประจำปี: Lao

Also this is the Naga fireball time on the Mekong and will make travel/accommodations extremely tight the first week of October everywhere in the area.

http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane...=&PAGEN_1=2

Edited by lopburi3

Just checked thaivisaservices.com, they do a visa run to Laos by minibus. 2300 baht includes transport, guesthouse in Vientienne, dinner same night, all transfers, etc. Just pay the 1600 baht for your Laotian VOA and a bit extra for the other meals and you're set. Not bad, doing the whole thing for about 4000 baht. Downside- 9+ hours each way in minibus... ouch.