Chiang Mai To Udon Thani?

ruhip

Hello,

I'm driving from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Can anyone give me some advice on the quickest way to get there. I have downloaded a map and I'm not quite sure if I should go through Khon Kaen or turn off at Chum Pae and go up that way. Any advice (including road numbers are appreciated).

Hello,

I'm driving from Chiang Mai to Udon Thani. Can anyone give me some advice on the quickest way to get there. I have downloaded a map and I'm not quite sure if I should go through Khon Kaen or turn off at Chum Pae and go up that way. Any advice (including road numbers are appreciated).

I do the trip regularly, and unfortunately there is no "quick way" You can choose to go through Khon Kaen, but you don't actually go through the town center, and turn left at the edge of town. There is also a ring road just before Khon Kaen that brings you out onto the Udon highway.

About a seven hour trip to Khon Kaen, and then another hour and a half to two hours to Udon. Have a safe trip..MM

The shortest and quickest way I have found is Chiangmai-Lampang-Denchai-Uttaradit (all on Highway 11).

Heading south from Uttaradit, there is an intersection with traffic lights with a right turn to Tron and left to Thong Saen Khan. Turn left and follow the signs to Chatrakarn and the Nakhon Thai. Turn left at Nakhon Thai and head towards Dan Sai. There is another intersection there where you head towards Phu Rua. If you can read Thai, there is a turnoff to the right after Phu Rua which takes you to Wang Saphung. If you miss it, go to Loei and turn right on Highway 201 to Wang Saphung. Follow the signs at Wang Saphung (left turn if coming from Loei) and go to Nong Bua Lamphu and then Udorn.

I've done it in 7 hours from Chiangmai but was young and silly and driving a car with a 4 litre engine.

The shortest and quickest way I have found is Chiangmai-Lampang-Denchai-Uttaradit (all on Highway 11).

Heading south from Uttaradit, there is an intersection with traffic lights with a right turn to Tron and left to Thong Saen Khan. Turn left and follow the signs to Chatrakarn and the Nakhon Thai. Turn left at Nakhon Thai and head towards Dan Sai. There is another intersection there where you head towards Phu Rua. If you can read Thai, there is a turnoff to the right after Phu Rua which takes you to Wang Saphung. If you miss it, go to Loei and turn right on Highway 201 to Wang Saphung. Follow the signs at Wang Saphung (left turn if coming from Loei) and go to Nong Bua Lamphu and then Udorn.

I've done it in 7 hours from Chiangmai but was young and silly and driving a car with a 4 litre engine.

Thanks for the directions. As the OP I too am making that trip in a week or 2. But I was thinking about breaking it up by stopping in Loei for the night. 5 years ago went through but didn't stop. Anyone know of any good spots to stop in and around Loei ?

Thanks for the directions. As the OP I too am making that trip in a week or 2. But I was thinking about breaking it up by stopping in Loei for the night. 5 years ago went through but didn't stop. Anyone know of any good spots to stop in and around Loei ?

Phu Rua is in the mountains and won't involve any detours. There are a couple of resorts there but I have not stopped over.

Quite convoluted. If that's the quickest route, then I pity if the Thai military has to take quick action. Whether having to go by land from U.Thani to C.Mai or the other way around, their truck drivers might find it a difficult maze to gauge. One of the first things Eisenhower did when he became US president in the 1950's was to upgrade the US federal highway system. The main reason was to facilitate movement of troops in case of emergencies.