Thailand's Parliament Convenes First Session Since 2006 Coup

george

You mean the thread I've updated dozens of times over 14 months? When did I say that it was due for closure? My post history there say the exact opposite of what you say I've done.

Let's just leave it. It's off topic in this thread and nobody cares. This is what e-mail is for. When things get closed, they get closed, no harm done and for sure another topic will be ready to continue. I'll leave that up to the site management's discretion. A lot of the 'arguments' that happen here aren't even about the topic at hand, but are about 'you said / he said'.

So to continue with the topic, does anyone think the new government can deal with a looming global economic crisis? Because I for one think they've got a snowball's chance in heck to do anything about it. I'm just wondering what the direct consequences will be for Thailand..?

If an erroneous post is made, I'll address it. Particularly if that erroneous post is quickly followed by nothing more than the inevitable and completely disingenuous, "let's get back to the topic".

but rather than just talk about getting back on topic, I'll actually do it...

Stiff law hinders search for new finance minister: Surapong

BANGKOK - People Power Party (PPP) secretary general Surapong Suebwonglee, tipped to become Thailand's next finance minister, on Tuesday said the stringent law and unfavorable political climate have deterred "outsiders" from taking the finance portfolio in the new Cabinet.

He said several people approached by the PPP to join the Cabinet were concerned with the law which subjects political appointees to repeated scrutinies, adding that the political climate of "hostility and destruction" was another factor that drove capable people away.

Despite high possibility that he will be given the finance portfolio, Surapong said the PPP was in the process of finding a capable person for the post and "that person must have been involved in the party's policy from the very beginning."

He said details of the new Cabinet line-up will be discussed after the new prime minister is elected. PPP leader Samak Sundaravej is strongly tipped to assume the premiership.

- MCOT

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would the Mods want to close the thread? I often see you and SJ giving it out without such suggestions of same, but when you are copping some flack yourself you seem to revert to talk of posters being banned and threads being closed.

Why is it so?

It seems to have gone from the debate level down to argument level and some of the points of argument have questionable validity. If SJ or I return a reply it is based in fact or the best possible information.

Often the source is an editorial from publications like The Nation, in which case people may not be convinced they're looking at actual facts. When I quote a source it's often a respected international publication, not from a paper that's under censorship and/or actively in favour of military government / managed democracy.

Many of the points of argument by some have no substantial supportive information and can be sometimes viewed as trolling.

LOL.. Gotta hand it to you, excellent way of accusing people who disagree with you of being trolls without actually saying it. But seriously, trolling means posting phony crap for no other purpose than to incite. I haven't seen that on this forum since I joined, I only see people stating their opinions and anayses, which presumably is the nature of 'a forum'. And then people agree or disagree with those statements, I think that's fair as long as viewpoints are presented respectfully.

I always ask for information to support ones point if I have doubt about the validity. That usually results in the poster not replying if it is fabricated and can't be supported or is some cases they just continue to rant on lowering themselves in they eyes of others. When it reaches that level they are mostly just ignored by everyone.

Which reminds me, you lashed out at Sunrise a couple times about answering 'your question' but then when I asked what that question was I don't think you replied? I don't mind to drop the issue of course, but I'm still curious.

Did I say any names or make reference to specific posts? You are too quick to assume I am targeting you or anyone. You need to focus on what is said and not what you imagine is said as that often leads to “I always ask for information to support ones point if I have doubt about the validity. That usually results in the poster not replying if it is fabricated and can't be supported or is some cases they just continue to rant on lowering themselves in they eyes of others. When it reaches that level they are mostly just ignored by everyone.”

My post that you just sliced up and analyzed is a rough outline of how to gain or lose credibility here and just about anywhere for that fact. Use the advise wisely.

The point I was asking sunrise is related to the same answer I just gave you in this post. He will not answer it because it will prove him completely wrong and I guess his ego wont let that happen so instead he just continues to rant making it worse for himself.

Day by day, after tremendous damage by the coup, good news is coming to Thailand. We can rejoice that the military junta is gone and that democracy has been restored. Nothing is perfect, but things are looking better. That is my opinion, and evidently, many, though not all, agree with that. I've talked to few people who wish to return to the days of the coup!

I've reread the forum rules and nowhere does it suggest that anyone must answer anyone else's questions upon demand.

Edited by sunrise07

Indeed... more "good news"...from a real harbinger of "good news" and the paragon of virtue and honesty... Chalerm

Thaksin ally Samak to be nominated new Thai prime minister

BANGKOK - Samak Sundaravej, the charismatic, but combative, leader of the newly elected People Power Party, will be nominated as Thailand's new prime minister, a party official confirmed Tuesday.

A staunch royalist, 72-year-old Samak marshaled allies of ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to a victory in elections last month, the first since the military seized power in September 2006. "PPP will absolutely propose the name of Samak as prime minister -- no other name would be proposed," Deputy PPP Leader Chalerm Yoobumrung told reporters.

The pro-Thaksin PPP won nearly half of the 480 seats in the lower house in elections last month, the first since the bloodless coup, and wooed five smaller parties into a coalition that controls about two thirds of the seats.

Their backing all but ensures that Samak would become the next prime minister.

Since announcing their coalition Saturday, the shape of Thailand's new government is quickly coming into focus.

In its first action since opening Monday, parliament named top Thaksin aide Yongyuth Tiyapairat as speaker, clearing the way for the prime minister to be named as soon as Friday.

Cabinet posts will be hammered out after the prime minister is appointed, with analysts predicting in-fighting between coalition partners for the plum portfolios.

Surapong Suebwonglee, widely tipped as the next finance minister, said political stability would help restore investor and consumer confidence.

"It is crucial that the new government implements a package to stimulate the economy to create more income. The most urgent task is to build confidence for local and overseas investors," Surapong told reporters.

- AFP

Day by day, after tremendous damage by the coup, good news is coming to Thailand. We can rejoice that the military junta is gone and that democracy has been restored. Nothing is perfect, but things are looking better. That is my opinion, and evidently, many, though not all, agree with that. I've talked to few people who wish to return to the days of the coup!

I've reread the forum rules and nowhere does it suggest that anyone must answer anyone else's questions upon demand.

Thank you for backing up my point in my post above.

Since this is a public forum, could you perhaps let the rest of us in on this mysterious yet somehow immensely important 'question'. Perhaps if it is an answer to something you are seeking, some of us might be able to help. But if you only want a response from Sunrise, then maybe you could deal with this just between the two of you.

Edited by blaze

Finally an expression of gratitude rather than mindless aggression; see things are getting better!!!

Since this is a public forum, could you perhaps let the rest of us in on this mysterious yet somehow immensely important 'question'. Perhaps if it is an answer to something you are seeking, some of us might be able to help. But if you only want a response from Sunrise, then maybe you could deal with this just between the two of you.

OK one last time but then we should get on topic. I asked him to identify what the junta did and did not do. Then I finally posted 2 separate clippings in the parent thread of this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1770963

in an attempt to set the facts straight and reset things to reality for the posters who were running their own story of events that never happened except in their imagination.

Sunrise still does not want to answer and is now citing rules in his defense. That is fine he can avoid answering as long as he does not mind what happens to his credibility. He has a hard time accepting it is a bigger person who can admit when they are wrong.

I for that fact just conceded an error yesterday at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1774983

so it is not hard to do as I have done it many times.

OK one last time but then we should get on topic. I asked him to identify what the junta did and did not do. Then I finally posted 2 separate clippings in the parent thread of this thread

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1770963

in an attempt to set the facts straight and reset things to reality for the posters who were running their own story of events that never happened except in their imagination.

Sunrise still does not want to answer and is now citing rules in his defense. That is fine he can avoid answering as long as he does not mind what happens to his credibility. He has a hard time accepting it is a bigger person who can admit when they are wrong.

I for that fact just conceded an error yesterday at

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1774983

so it is not hard to do as I have done it many times.

So the question is "what the junta did and did not do". Does anybody understand what on earth that means? When I read this topic I feel like the hero of Kafka's Metamorphosis who woke up one morning changed into a beetle.The poster seems to be quite unhinged and I would beg him to desist from these meaningless and impenetrable puzzles.Enough already.

I have to say there have been more than a few times when the old saw 'Physician heal thyself" sprang unbidden into my mind, whilst reviewing this and other threads occupied, almost literally, by correspondents herein

Regards

Edited by A_Traveller

Happy Days Are Here Again! May the Junta RIP!

I can't believe the military will keep quiet, they must accept that a legally elected government can & should control the military. Sadly the general's see themselves as elite, far above elected polaticians!

We are now severely :o while aligning the new members so please lets get back on topic and that looks to be amusing in itself as they find it difficult to find qualified people to fill posts.

I haven't the foggiest idea what this gibberish means but take comfort that it seems to imply we shall hear no more of surreal Kafkaesque "questions".Thank god for that!

I suspect that as I type a dubious Austrian accent is ricocheting through space "I'll be back".

Regards

PS To be serious, the topic here is surely, how we as individuals view the move from the junta to a democratic government, which all those of good will salute, tempered with concerns as to how PPP will deliver on its wide ranging {and expensive} policies, without, unlike Thaksin, the benefit of a stronger more positive world economy. I guess that will mean some will seek unanswerable questions, whilst others will look forward, even though the future is clearly problematic.

Edited by A_Traveller

I suspect that as I type a dubious Austrian accent is ricocheting through space "I'll be back".

Regards

PS To be serious, the topic here is surely, how we as individuals view the move from the junta to a democratic government, which all those of good will salute, tempered with concerns as to how PPP will deliver on its wide ranging {and expensive} policies, without, unlike Thaksin, the benefit of a stronger more positive world economy.

I'd be out of my league commenting on this (not that that's stopped me in the past)- but would sincerely appreciate hearing your forecasts.

It would be nice if people were reasonable- but they aren't- and I think that we have seen, and will continue to see, Thaksin take on an almost supernatural aura- regardless of the performance of the PPP- among both his supporters and his detractors. He will become Thailand's Peron. When that occurs, the divides become almost religious in nature. And thus, much more difficult to bridge.

I would like to believe that the divide will be defined by simple economic status- but in fact it will take on, I fear, this extra dimension- and the type of conflict on the horizon could have more in common with Bosnia than Bolivia.

In which case, it will make no difference whatsoever how the government handles anything- this will have left the arena of politics and entered something much more dangerous.

Edited by blaze

PS To be serious, the topic here is surely, how we as individuals view the move from the junta to a democratic government, which all those of good will salute, tempered with concerns as to how PPP will deliver on its wide ranging {and expensive} policies, without, unlike Thaksin, the benefit of a stronger more positive world economy.

I'd be out of my league commenting on this (not that that's stopped me in the past)- but would sincerely appreciate hearing your forecasts.

1. Agree about the move back to democratic government ... hope we see that from PPP !

2. I started a thread this morning, on the General Forum, to discuss how PPP will manage the economy and their promises, so that it can run as a seperate topic, if people think that is helpful. :o

3. Does anybody have any theory why Samak looked so pissed, in that photo, when they were taking pictures of the parliamentary-opening ?

4. Please would anybody supporting PPP/TRT start posting caricatures from 'their' point-of-view, as Tony-C does, I'm sure we'd all enjoy a laugh ! Come on, I know from some of the posts, that the talent is there. :D

Happy days are here again?

Not many people are very optimistic about the immediate future.

Consider that Finance Minister portfolio - all proffessional economists refused it, Surapong's biggest economical achievement is to help his wife to manage a spa, but PPP already has BIG plans, beginning with firing Central Bank governor and her team. I have no idea who are they going to replace her with, she was doing a good job, and PPP doesn't have an alternative policy that enjoys proffessional support like Thaksin had in 2001.

For all negative reactions to 30% requirement, it slowed down capital inflows, FDI continued to poor in (comparing to 2006 at least) with 30% growth, exports grew 17%, and no one has any other alternatives yet, no one knows how to stop baht appreciation either. Certainly nor Surapong.

Without solid economy they won't be able to spend all the money they promised. Without solid economy they would be looking as inept as the current government.

The only excuse they will offer is the lack of mandate. They'd say "we screwed up because we didn't have an absolute majority and we were distracted on Thaksin issues". Not many people who voted against them would buy it.

And if Thaksin withdraws his support they would be like fish out of water - that's the problem of being nominee of only one person. After all is done, he might think that PPP gives very very poor returns on his investement.

4. Please would anybody supporting PPP/TRT start posting caricatures from 'their' point-of-view, as Tony-C does, I'm sure we'd all enjoy a laugh !

You know, there ARE a lot of anti-junta cartoons in the Thai press, but the people who tend to post in this forum mostly post anti-Thaksin cartoons, thus adding to the view that everyone's anti-Thaksin and pro military interference.

I'm not posting the following for being particularly funny because they're not, but it's a rather different view from the usual fare we get fed here. This from the time the military was doing everything they could to get TRT/PPP banned and clear the way for the "Democrat" party.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1066/716482154_ee3622ba16_o.jpg

Here we see Abhisit-the-puppet being led to the PM seat on the backs of banned TRT MP's, with the seat firmy supported by the military and Banharn laughing in the background.

Come on, I know from some of the posts, that the talent is there.

Talent perhaps, but I'd also need the time. :o I'm happy with Tony as Thaivisa's political photoshop-cartoonist, even though we usually get a very narrow view on usually the same topic. :D

By the way, if someone is interested in cartoons depicting the other side, I can provide the link. Again, the cartoons are shocking more than funny. After all it's not really a laughing matter to have the constitution shredded and democracy raped. That at least is very well reflected. See here: http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2007/07/...h-cartoons.html

Edited by Lilawadee

New Thai Leaders to Woo Foreign Investors

By JAMES HOOKWAY / The Wall Street Joural

January 22, 2008; Page A8 http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1200965043...=googlenews_wsj

BANGKOK, Thailand -- Supporters of Thailand's ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra are preparing a series of economic measures to put the country back on the international investment map, as Parliament opened yesterday under the lead of the pro-Thaksin People Power Party.

Thailand has struggled to keep its economy growing as fast as some of its neighbors since the September 2006 military coup that removed telecommunications billionaire Mr. Thaksin from power. Local confidence has faded because of a lack of policy direction from a military-appointed interim government, while capital controls introduced by the central bank in December 2006 to halt the appreciation of the Thai currency against the dollar unnerved foreign equity investors.

While Thailand managed to attract additional investments from Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. last year, fast-growing Vietnam overtook the country as a destination for foreign direct investment. During 2007, Vietnam picked up $20 billion in new commitments, compared with $15 billion for Thailand.

The People Power Party's path to power was cleared by Thailand's Supreme Court, which on Friday said it had no authority to rule on a suit charging that the party was an illegal proxy for Mr. Thaksin.

The decision removed a legal obstacle to the PPP taking power after it won a plurality of seats in a Dec. 23 poll to elect a new democratic government. The party on Saturday announced it would lead a six-party coalition government backed by more than 300 seats in Thailand's 480-seat Parliament.

Party Secretary-General Surapong Suebwongle said afterward that party officials and advisers are working on a "quick-win" economic-policy plan.

First up: cancellation of all capital controls imposed in December 2006 "to send the message that foreigners are welcome to do business in Thailand," Mr. Surapong said.

Many of the more stringent controls -- for example, one that required investors to deposit a portion of their funds destined for the stock market with the central bank for at least a year -- have already been rolled back by Thai authorities. The controls that remain in place mostly affect only foreign investments in the local money market, to prevent speculators from betting on the strengthening of the baht.

But the assistant governor of Thailand's central bank, Suchada Kirakul, yesterday said it isn't the right time to lift the capital controls, setting the stage for a potential showdown with the incoming government. The controls on certain short-term inflows are still needed, she said, because the subprime-lending crisis will continue to weigh on the U.S. dollar while trade surpluses and capital inflows bolster the baht.

Mr. Surapong said removing the curbs entirely would send a powerful signal to the international investment community before the new government starts working on a package of economic-stimulus measures. That package will include several large infrastructure projects designed to improve Thailand's economic efficiency and relieve traffic congestion in Bangkok, he said.

Mr. Surapong said the new government also will begin discussing interest-rate cuts with the central bank. The central bank has kept its policy interest rate unchanged at 3.25% since July.

Parliament is scheduled to elect the new prime minister on Friday.

4. Please would anybody supporting PPP/TRT start posting caricatures from 'their' point-of-view, as Tony-C does, I'm sure we'd all enjoy a laugh !

You know, there ARE a lot of anti-junta cartoons in the Thai press, but the people who tend to post in this forum mostly post anti-Thaksin cartoons, thus adding to the view that everyone's anti-Thaksin and pro military interference.

I'm not posting the following for being particularly funny because they're not, but it's a rather different view from the usual fare we get fed here:

716482154_ee3622ba16_o.jpg

Here we see Abhisit-the-puppet being led to the PM seat on the backs of banned TRT MP's, with the seat firmy supported by the military and Prem laughing in the background. (Which begs the question who's holding the strings, but hey)

Come on, I know from some of the posts, that the talent is there.

Talent perhaps, but I'd also need the time. :o I'm happy with Tony as Thaivisa's political photoshop-cartoonist, even though we usually get a very narrow view on usually the same topic. :D

By the way, if someone is interested in cartoons depicting the other side, I can provide the link. Again, the cartoons are shocking more than funny. After all it's not really a laughing matter to have the constitution shredded and democracy raped. That at least is very well reflected. See here: http://bangkokpundit.blogspot.com/2007/07/...h-cartoons.html

Yes that certainly is a nice political cartoon. When was it drawn and published the first time? That is necessary for people to interpret the metaphor more accurately. Different publishing times can mean different things.

^ Click the link and lo and behold :- Date June 5, 2007.

Regards

/edit PS The originating post implied that the laughing man was Prem, but this has now been amended to reflect the point made in the comments to the site suggesting Banham, or, it should be added, a possible ethnic-Chinese stereotype.

Edited by A_Traveller

Yes that certainly is a nice political cartoon. When was it drawn and published the first time? That is necessary for people to interpret the metaphor more accurately. Different publishing times can mean different things.

Good point. (I just edited my post to also add some notes on the time before reading this, but it's a good suggestion all the same)

(I also updated the caption: The smiling figure is Banharn; wasn't clear earlier but I've since looked at dozens of recent cartoons from Thai Rath, and it's Banharn. )

I normally don't read Thai Rath but, whoa, some of their cartoons are seriously heavy stuff. (not unlike the carnage on the front page actually).

Edited by Lilawadee

^ Click the link and lo and behold :- Date June 5, 2007.

Regards

/edit PS The originating post implied that the laughing man was Prem, but this has now been amended to reflect the point made in the comments to the site suggesting Banham, or, it should be added, a possible ethnic-Chinese stereotype.

That’s the wonderful part about metaphors, everyone reads them differently.

Surprised it's not the middle one... sure looks like he wanted to use it... :D :D

30062920-01.jpg

People Power Party's leader Samak Sundaravej points a finger at photographers during a photo session as the Parliament convenes on Monday.

The Nation

If it was a journo from the Nation, he should have.

:o So true..nice one.

Let's keep the off topic criticisms of other members out of the discussion. Keep on topic and the thread will continue - if it degenerates into a slanging match then the thread will have to be closed which would be a pity because it is an important one.

regards

Crow Boy

Moderating Team

Thai Visa

Tough Talker Likely to Become Thai PM

BANGKOK, Thailand — Samak Sundaravej — the man likely to become Thailand's next prime minister — is known for his sharp tongue and short temper.

Whether erupting at reporters for asking "stupid!" questions or whipping up curries on his TV cooking show, the 72-year-old has gained fame — and notoriety — largely thanks to his words.

He minced few words in his campaign for last month's elections, declaring himself the proxy for deposed prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

His platform was a carbon copy of Thaksin's populist agenda, which provided cheap health care and low-interest loans to the poor. Samak's People's Power Party heads a coalition with two-thirds of parliament's 480 seats, making him the most likely candidate to become prime minister when parliament votes Friday.

"He comes across as belligerent, aggressive and uncompromising," said Thitinan Pongsidhirak, a political scientist and professor at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

"But many people find him affable. He's kind of like your uncle. He's folksy, and not afraid to be a bit profane. He's straight-shooting and connects with a lot of people."

Charisma alone would not have propelled Samak to the premiership. But he won widespread support by piggybacking on the popularity of Thaksin, the billionaire tycoon ousted in a 2006 coup for alleged corruption and abuse of power.

"I don't like Samak's mouth. He's always chewing people out. But I like Thaksin," said taxi driver Prawut Panto, who like many cabbies in Bangkok comes from the rural heartland that supports Thaksin. "I voted for Samak because we know Thaksin is backing him."

A former Bangkok mayor who has held several Cabinet posts, Samak has been a divisive figure for decades.

He is widely accused of having fomented anti-communist sentiment in 1976 that prompted mobs to storm a Bangkok university, killing dozens of leftist student activists. The massacre came after Indochina had fallen under communist rule and Thailand was deeply polarized between right and left.

Samak, who was deputy interior minister at the time, subscribed to a motto of the extreme right-wing, "It's no sin to kill communists."

He was linked to another bloodbath in 1992 now known as "Black May."

Dozens were killed when the army fired on street protesters in Bangkok demanding the resignation of Gen. Suchinda Kraprayoon, who had become prime minister in a coup the year before.

Samak, then deputy prime minister, said the demonstrators were troublemakers who needed to be controlled. He has never expressed contrition for the killings.

A Bangkok native with a law degree and strong ties to the royal family, Samak was elected mayor of the capital in 2000. He left the job four years later with low approval ratings but resurfaced with a popular TV cooking show called "Tasting and Complaining," a mix of Thai cooking and rants on subjects of Samak's choice.

Dealing with the media brings out the street fighter in Samak, who has a history of confrontation with the press.

One of his most colorful recent remarks was to a female Thai reporter, who inquired about rumors of infighting within his party. "Did you have sinful sex last night?" he snapped back.

His penchant for vulgarity has earned Samak the nickname "Dog Mouth" among critics.

At a weekend news conference, Samak bristled when asked if he would become prime minister. "That's a lousy and provocative question," he told a Thai reporter.

The situation worsened when an Associated Press reporter asked a follow-up question: "If you don't expect us to ask who will become prime minister, what else should this event be about?" Samak shouted back that the answer would come in parliament.

The verbal battle was carried in all Thai-language newspapers and in the English-language Bangkok Post under the headline, "Samak Loses His Cool Again."

Article posted here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1771820

SAMAK LOSES HIS COOL AGAIN,Refuses to answer most questions

- Associated Press

"He comes across as belligerent, aggressive and uncompromising," said Thitinan Pongsidhirak, a political scientist and professor at Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University.

A former Bangkok mayor who has held several Cabinet posts, Samak has been a divisive figure for decades.

He is widely accused of having fomented anti-communist sentiment in 1976 that prompted mobs to storm a Bangkok university, killing dozens of leftist student activists. The massacre came after Indochina had fallen under communist rule and Thailand was deeply polarized between right and left.

Samak, who was deputy interior minister at the time, subscribed to a motto of the extreme right-wing, "It's no sin to kill communists."

Samak, then deputy prime minister, said the demonstrators were troublemakers who needed to be controlled. He has never expressed contrition for the killings.

Dealing with the media brings out the street fighter in Samak, who has a history of confrontation with the press.

One of his most colorful recent remarks was to a female Thai reporter, who inquired about rumors of infighting within his party. "Did you have sinful sex last night?" he snapped back.

Associated Press

Well that all bodes well, for reconciliation and the tolerance which are now needed, and also for a return to Thaksin-era levels of press-freedom again. :o

Thaksin must really be hoping just to grab his money & run, before it all falls apart, under Samak.