Thailand's Parliament Convenes First Session Since 2006 Coup

george

I went out and looked a bit for an explanation about Samak's role in the 1976 violence and haven't found it. I did find a site which says, "Samak was not reappointed to the Cabinet for the short-live Cabinet of Seni government again from September 25 1976 to the coup on October 6 1976. Given the prominent linking of Samak’s name to October 6 one would seemingly think that he was some prominent leader, but he was at best a minor player in the events of October 6, 1976."

And of course there is the Wikipedia article for whatever that is worth which doesn't really say much about any involvement.

Maybe its all just rumors but I'm tired of looking and finding nothing...too bad that those who want to make accusations about his involvements can't come up with some links to show it....I'm not denying that he was involved but I haven't been able to find it so far....I have found that from my perspective he seems to always be on the wrong side of things and at least if he was not involved in historic violence he at least showed his approval of it in certain instances.

Chownah

Chownah, while I fully agree with Hammered, that was then and this is now. Since he is head of the party that gained the most votes, he deserves the chance to run the country as PM. What is openly known about him and can easily be substantiated is that just a few years ago when he was governor of Bangkok he gave up working for the people of the city and instead spent his time doing a cooking show on TV. Now, he will run the country. His party is woefully short of experience and those with experience (even those friendly with Thaksin) still don't want to join his government. This should tell you something about this guy.

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good riddance

Jan 24th 2008 From The Economist print edition

After allowing Thailand's election winners to keep their prize, the generals should take their final bow

THE blundering soldiers who deposed Thailand's prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, in 2006 seem at last to have got something right. This week saw the restoration of an elected government following last month's election. Barring further mishap, the country seems back on the road to liberal multiparty democracy. This would be good news for the 65m Thais and would set an encouraging example for their fellow half-billion South-East Asians and the billion or more Chinese to their north. None of this, however, implies that Thailand's generals are enlightened guardians who served the national interest; still less that their coup was justified.

The junta tried its utmost to thwart the relatively benign outcome that now seems possible. It had Mr Thaksin and more than 100 colleagues banned from politics for five years. His Thai Rak Thai party was dissolved. It re-formed as the People's Power Party (PPP) and, to the generals' dismay, won far more seats than any other party in the election, just shy of an outright majority. The Thai people—particularly the rural poor who benefited from Mr Thaksin's development policies—spoke loudly. They told the military-royalist elite in Bangkok that, for all his faults, they still wanted Mr Thaksin, or a like-minded alternative. Samak Sundaravej, the PPP's fiercely right-wing leader, who cheerfully admitted to being Mr Thaksin's “proxy”, was this week poised to become prime minister, at the head of a six-party coalition.

Legal shenanigans since the election might still have frustrated the people's choice. The Election Commission held an extravagant number of inquiries into allegations of vote-fiddling, mainly directed at the PPP. And the Supreme Court decided to hear several cases calling for the party's election victory to be annulled. Whether or not there was any undue pressure on these institutions, they did the right thing in the end. Not enough candidates have been disqualified or made to re-run polls to stop the election winners taking office. And the Supreme Court, sensibly, rejected the idea that the PPP itself should be banned. Further cases are pending in various tribunals but so far the omens look good.

The new government should have a workable majority—but not a crushing one like those Mr Thaksin previously enjoyed. The opposition Democrats have done a lot better than in the past two elections, so parliament may see more vigorous debate. The Election Commission has shown itself vigilant enough to suggest that Thailand's endemic vote-buying will become harder to get away with. Overall, Thai democracy stands a chance of emerging from the mess in decent shape.

It is not out of the woods yet, however. The political system is prone to too much fiery anger, wild accusation and vicious name-calling, and Mr Samak is a particularly bad offender. There are also worries he might bring back some of Mr Thaksin's worst policies, such as a “war on drugs” (see article) that appeared to sanction extra-judicial murder. Mr Thaksin's planned return from exile brings other worries. His wife is home already and has been bailed—having pleaded not guilty—in a land-fraud case brought by an army-backed corruption inquiry. Mr Thaksin himself, relishing his victory, might orchestrate some sort of vengeance against the coupmakers, causing fresh unrest. Better, perhaps, if he keeps his promise to quit politics forever.

The last post

Better still for General Sonthi Boonyaratglin, the coup leader, and his fellow junta members to retire gracefully, forswearing political meddling to enjoy the amnesty they granted themselves. With luck, Thailand's political elite has tired of its internecine strife, and normal parliamentary politics are about to resume. The many “liberals” who despised Mr Thaksin and applauded the coup may argue that this vindicates them. Nonsense. Not only did the coupmakers fail to produce the damning evidence of corruption and abuse of power that they needed to justify removing an elected government by force. Worse, they lowered the bar for other disgruntled soldiers seeing political squabbles or corruption allegations as an excuse to seize power—not just in Thailand but in places, such as the Philippines, where democracy remains a delicate blossom.

The coupmakers failed because the interim government of bureaucrats and retired soldiers they appointed did a rotten job. This, and the uncertainty over how the junta would get out of the mess it had created, consigned the country to more than a year of slower growth. As coups almost always do, this one caused more problems than it solved.

Edited by Lilawadee

Banharn's son admits having met Thaksin in Hong Kong

Warawut Silapa-archa admitted Saturday he went to Hong Kong on Tuesday and met former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Warawut said he took his wife for shopping, but happened to know that Thaksin was in Hong Kong so he paid the former prime minister a visit.

Warwaut said he did not meet Thaksin to represent the Chart Thai to negotiate for Cabinet seats as reported.

- The Nation

I saw the soon to be PM in an elevator today. Unlike everyone else in the elevator he did not make eye contact with anyone, but rather just stared at the floor. No people skills here.

OMR maybe being a good Buddhist his links to the 1976 and 1992 massacres weigh heavily on the poor soul :o

I wasn't aware that Samak was in Sondhi's military force that was involved in the 1976 and 1992 massacres?

I am sure you are quite capable of garnering information on Samak and the said events. It has been mentioned in media reports concerning curent events by media sources outside of Thailand if not within. Im sure many remember Giles Ungpakorn's challenge to Samak to clear his name a few years ago. It is not difficult to talk to October people who saw their colleagues raped and murdered in a hideaous way to ascertsain the nature of the invovlement in one of the events either. Sadly 1976 at least is something that is still a bit of a taboo subject in Thailand. But it is of a nature that it doesnt deserve to be disregarded by a facetious comment even is some would rather that past events were expunged from any record of the seemingly incoming PM.

Admittedly maybe I should have too given greater gravity to the tone of my original comment.

Got any links to support your view that Samak was involved?

chownah

You are just being facetious :D

Read a history book, there are plenty around, that will show Samak was well and truely involved :D

I caught a glimpse of footage on ASTV this week showing Samak during the riots.

For those that supported the PPP, get ready for some changes in what they originally said they would do in order to win votes. As reported in the BP on Friday, the upcoming new Finance Minister has made a very interesting comment about what the PPP said about capital controls before they got elected and what they may do now that they have been elected. See the section highlighted below. Also, his comments on the FBA are interesting.

http://pages.citebite.com/m1g7x9v3pgbo

One can only wonder what other campaign platforms will be scrapped now that they are in power.

I saw the soon to be PM in an elevator today. Unlike everyone else in the elevator he did not make eye contact with anyone, but rather just stared at the floor. No people skills here.

OMR maybe being a good Buddhist his links to the 1976 and 1992 massacres weigh heavily on the poor soul :o

I wasn't aware that Samak was in Sondhi's military force that was involved in the 1976 and 1992 massacres?

I am sure you are quite capable of garnering information on Samak and the said events. It has been mentioned in media reports concerning curent events by media sources outside of Thailand if not within. Im sure many remember Giles Ungpakorn's challenge to Samak to clear his name a few years ago. It is not difficult to talk to October people who saw their colleagues raped and murdered in a hideaous way to ascertsain the nature of the invovlement in one of the events either. Sadly 1976 at least is something that is still a bit of a taboo subject in Thailand. But it is of a nature that it doesnt deserve to be disregarded by a facetious comment even is some would rather that past events were expunged from any record of the seemingly incoming PM.

Admittedly maybe I should have too given greater gravity to the tone of my original comment.

chownah

Read a history book, there are plenty around, that will show Samak was well and truely involved :D

It is true that during that time Samak was a member of the Democrat Party and thus supported the Generals far more that the Thai people. Thank buddha he got hold of his senses and commited to working against both of them this time. Progress, not perfection! The sad thing is there are still those who support both the Democrat Party and the Generals.

As a strong suporter of Mr Thaksin, I want here to thanks The Nation for its help. I can't remember one day in the past year where Thaksin name didn't appear in the front page. They really made sure we didn't forget the man. And their Thaksin bashing trademark was so obvious that it became soon ridiculous.

At the same time, can anybody tell me what is the platform of the "democrat", what they stand for? Beside being against Thaksin of course? Me neither.

There is two projects that summarize why I welcome the return of Mr Thaksin :the new airport and the Hopeless project leading to Don Muang. Thaksin get things done, and that's more than enough for me.

Son of Banharn admits having met Thaksin

Sarawut Silpa-archa, son of Chart Thai Party Leader Banharn, admitted Saturday he had met ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra during his trip to Hong Kong early this week. Sarawut, however, denied having negotiated with the deposed premier for five ministerial posts for the Chart Thai Party. He said it is not his responsibility to discuss cabinet posts for his party members with Thaksin. Sarawut, who went to Hong Kong with his wife, downplayed the meeting, saying he personally respected the ousted premier because Thaksin chaired his wedding. :o He also said Chart Thai party will hold a meeting with its MPs on Monday at the parliament to discuss voting for a new prime minister.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125469

MPs rush to meet Thaksin in Hong Kong

Ex-PM said to be key to forming government

Flights between Bangkok and Hong Kong have been particularly loaded with Thai politicians lately. They have also been flying to the same destination, a hotel where ousted PM Thakin Shinawatra, the man believed to be playing a pivotal role in the forming of the coalition government under the PPP, has been frequenting. Observers say key figures of the PPP and its coalition partners have been meeting him over the allocation of cabinet portfolios and the voting of PPP leader Samak Sundaravej as the country's 25th PM tomorrow. Thaksin, leader of the dissolved TRTh, moved to Hong Kong from his base in Britain several weeks ago to make it easier for visitors to meet him. One of the most prominent visitors was Warawuth Silpa-archa, son of Chart Thai leader Banharn, who said he went to Hong Kong with his wife for shopping and took the opportunity to meet Thaksin as well. ''I did go to Hong Kong. I also bumped into a large number of PPP MPs in a hotel,'' he said. Just flying back from Hong Kong was Sudarat Keyuraphan, a former TRT executive. She and some Bangkok politicians close to her will have dinner together this evening. A source said they will discuss ways to push some of her confidants into cabinet seats. *Did she go to review with Thaksin how to properly deny bird flu like last time?* Puea Pandin's key figures, such as Preecha Laohapongchana and Vatchara Pannachet, were also seen boarding flights to Hong Kong, presumably to meet Thaksin.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/27Jan2008_news03.php

With the proposal for building a new Parliament building, perhaps it might be cheaper over the short-term to simply have the new government sessions at the Hong Kong hotel's ballroom.

Banharn's son 'bumps into' Thaksin in HK

Warawut Silapa-archa, son of Chart Thai party leader Banharn, said yesterday he had gone with his wife to Hong Kong only to shop and had visited ousted premier Thaksin Shinawatra to pay his respects, not to discuss Cabinet quotas.

He also ran into many People Power Party members there, but they just exchanged greetings, he said. "I did go to Hong Kong. I took my wife shopping, and we stayed at the Marco Polo Hotel, which is my favourite hotel when I'm there, because it's centrally located and not expensive," said Warawut, also a Chart Thai executive.

The main reason for the trip was that he suspected he would be too busy once the new government was sworn in, he said; then he found out that Thaksin was staying at another hotel, and out of respect for the ex-premier, who had presided over his wedding, he took the opportunity to pay him a visit.

"That's all there was to it," he insisted.

"I incidentally bumped into some leading PPP members and MPs, who happened to be staying at the same hotel, and was surprised and thought to myself: 'Are they having a party meeting?' And I said hello to the ones I knew, but nothing more."

Former Chart Thai Deputy Leader Chuwit Kamolvisit lashed out at Warawut, saying the whole story seemed like a Thai soap opera. There was definitely more to it, he said, as the explanations were too contrived. The issue most likely discussed was who would be the next prime minister, he said. Too many "coincidences" happen in Thai politics, he said, noting that Banharn had visited London while Thaksin was there in exile. "There's something there, but nobody's telling," he said.

He announced his intention of airing a few political home truths on Monday.

Democrat deputy leader Alongkorn Polabutr expressed concern about the news that coalition MPs had gone to see Thaksin. The coalition should not support tainted candidates or Thaksin's proxy as the new premier, as having a surrogate running the government would not help solve the country's problems, he said. The new administration should be honest and effective, he added.

- The Nation

The likely topic at the Hong Kong hotel's ad hoc working committee held in the coffee shop... "How Long to Let Samak Run Things"

Amnesty speculation denied

People Power Party spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang yesterday denied speculation that Samak Sundaravej would only head the party and the government until all the 111 outlawed Thai Rak Thai executives were granted amnesty by his administration.

He expressed confidence that the coalition government under Samak would see its four-year term out.

Samak has been instrumental in reuniting ex-TRT MPs, and many tasks lie ahead for the administration under Samak, he said. Samak is tipped to be voted in by Parliament as prime minister tomorrow.

Kuthep refused to dwell on the likelihood of a reprieve for the 111 politicians banned from politics for five years by the junta-appointed Constitution Tribunal after the 2006 coup. He only said the matter could not be pursued immediately like plugging in an electric appliance.

Granting amnesty too soon would be "too ugly".

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

chownah

It is true that during that time Samak was a member of the Democrat Party and thus supported the Generals far more that the Thai people. Thank buddha he got hold of his senses and commited to working against both of them this time. Progress, not perfection! The sad thing is there are still those who support both the Democrat Party and the Generals.

The sad thing is there are people on this forum who know so little about history and yet feel the urge to constantly post.

Samak joined Tanin Kraivixien's government after the resignation of the government under the Democrats led by Seni Pramoj and the Oct 6 massacre.

As Interior Minister he imprisoned thousands of leftists and banned many books.

In 1992 he joined General Suchinda's government and later claimed the killings of 'Black May' were justified.

Just 2 years ago TV viewers were forced to endure his ugly face and words as he and fellow right winger Dusit Siriwan continued their inflammatory and hate stirring comments.

Turning to the new Cabinet, it's noteworthy that Chart Thai and Pua Paendin seem to be getting one Cabinet seat per 5 or 6 MPs, unlike the PPP's 9; suggesting the PPP are aware how valuable their allies are. Of course this has lead to dissatisfaction amongst the PPP, especially the Issan MPs, who were promised during the election campaign by the PPP executives that any province returning 100% PPP candidates would be guaranteed a Cabinet seat.

Well several were, and their MPs are waiting.

Interesting also to note that the vote for PM comes before Cabinet allocation, perhaps to prevent any MPs dissatisfied with the allocation voting against Samak.

It's going to be tough for the PPP, high expectations of populist policies upcountry and still no decent finance minister in sight.

They need to hurry up and form this new government... before it falls apart prior to its formation... :o

Pradit pressured to resign as Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Secretary-General

A group of 40 Northern MPs and supporters held a rally at Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana headquarters Sunday to pressure Secretary-General Pradit Pattaraprasit to quit.

Udon Thani MP Nattayos Pajuang, leader of the protesters said they wanted Prasit to resign, claiming he showed a lack of responsibility during the last election.

"He promised us he would support candidates but he did not. So, we have to move against him and call other executives not to support him as a minister," Nattayos said.

Pradit was expected to take a ministerial position in the new government.

The rally was held during a party executive meeting. But no executive member came out to meet the protesters and address the issue. Pradit said he was not worried about the protest, saying a rally was just a part of democracy.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Not saying they are getting desperate... but he's already turned them down twice... :o

PPP again offers finance post to Virabongsa

The People Power Party (PPP) said it had approached Virabongsa Ramangkura, a former finance minister, to take up the same post in the coalition government now being formed, said a senior PPP member.

Noppadol Pattama, deputy secretary-general of the PPP, told journalists after a party meeting the PPP had contacted Virabongsa for the post. Media have reported that Virabongsa has turned down an offer to be finance minister on two occasions since the Dec 23 election.

Noppadol would not say whether Virabongsa had agreed to take up the offer in the new administration which included the PPP, Chart Thai, Puea Pandin, Machima Thipataya, Ruamjai Thai Chart Pattana and Pracharat parties.

By early next month the names of ministers would become clearer, Noppadol said.

According to Noppadol, legal advisor of ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra, the coalition government would revive several projects initiated by the now defunct Thai Rak Thai Party, which was founded by Thaksin.

These projects, known as populist programs, included small-and medium government loans, loans for educational purposes, and suspension of debts of farmers.

The policies of parties joining the coalition administration were expected to be completed early next month, Noppadol added.

- MCOT

I guess if he's getting dumped from being asked to be the Finance Minister, he can always cheerlead....

PPP Secretary-General Shows Confidence in Vote for PM

PPP Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee voices confidence that all coalition MPs will vote for party leader Samak Sundaravej to be the next prime minister.

His comment came after last week's vote for the House Speaker, where not all coalition MPs selected PPP Deputy Leader Yongyut Tiyapairat for the post.

Surapong pointed out that representatives from coalition partners, or government Whips, have ensured that its party members will vote for Samak. Also, the vote will be open, not a secret ballot like the House Speaker selection vote.

According to the 2007 Constitution, MPs will openly select the premier. In the past, MPs would stand up and announce the name of the nominee that they support.

The prime minister designate must receive more than half of the MPs' ballots, which total 239 votes. After the vote is settled, the Parliament Secretariat Office will present the new premier's name to His Majesty for his endorsement.

The charter also states that each MP does not need to follow the party's consensus, and can vote individually.

- Thailand Outlook

Perhaps Surapong isn't well suited for cheerleading either...

Puea Pandin MPs from deep South threatened to withhold votes for Samak

Signs of disunity in the coalition government continue Sunday as Puea Pandin Party's Muslim group from the southern provinces threatened to vote against their party's resolution to make People Power Party Leader Samak Sundaravej PM if they are not given a ministerial post that can solve problems in the south.

Puea Pandin Party's Narathiwat MP Dr Waehadi Waedaoh said as the leader of Sajjanupap faction, he insisted that if the party did not honour its promise to award the faction a key ministerial post to help end violence in the south, the faction will not vote for Samak.

He said the Party Leader Suwit Khunkitti had earlier made agreement that it would give one Cabinet post to the faction member or outsider who the faction believe suitable.

"It is the faction's ruling and not my personal stance. Our group had won the election victory through campaigns to solve violence in the south. We could beat the Democrats in its stronghold. If we cannot get the important post, how can we help solve the problem there,'' he said.

- The Nation

More on dissention amongst the ranks and also Samaks intentions...

Little stands in the way of Samak

The People Power Party expressed confidence yesterday about getting the full support of all coalition partners for Samak Sundaravej to be the next prime minister.

However, there was one sign of dissent. The Puea Pandin Party's Muslim members of Parliament from the deep South threatened not to back Samak, unless they receive a ministerial post with which they can address problems in the region.

PPP Deputy Leader Sompong Amornwiwat expected all coalition members, excluding the House speaker and his deputies, to vote in support of Samak at today's selection.

The vote is not a secret ballot.

Meanwhile, PPP spokesman Kuthep Saikrachang said after a party meeting yesterday that Samak had told members he was ready to lead the country, and intended to remain in office for a full term.

"As Samak volunteered to lead the PPP he said he would pursue the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party ideology. The soul of the Thai Rak Thai lives here now," Kuthep said.

The Cabinet, which will consist of both parliamentarians and technocrats, will be completed in the two days after Samak receives royal endorsement as prime minister, Kuthep said.

Samak invited members to his Bueng Kum district home to celebrate the endorsement.

Samak will have a weekly radio programme called "Talking to People Samak Style", similar to predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra. The show will be each Saturday, Kuthep said.

Samak will talk about his visions publicly for the first time on the radio programme, according to the spokesman.

Coalition partners yesterday promised support for Samak in today's selection. Matchima Thipataya Party Secretary-General Anongwan Thepsuthin said its nine members would vote for Samak.

Chart Thai member Assawin Wipoosiri said the party would toe the line and vote for Samak.

Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana made a similar promise. Party spokesman Naovarat Chanukul said its executive board yesterday agreed to instruct its members to vote for Samak.

Puea Pandin Party Sajjanupap faction leader and member for Narathiwat, Dr Waehadi Waedaoh, insisted that if the faction did not get a portfolio from which it could address problems in the South, it would not vote for Samak. Party Leader Suwit Khunkitti earlier made the Cabinet-post agreement for the faction, or a technocrat the faction wanted.

"It is the faction's ruling and not my personal stance. Our group won its seats on a campaign of solving violence in the South. We beat the Democrats in its stronghold. If we cannot get the important post, how can we help solve the problems there,'' he said.

He denied his group voted against Yongyuth Tiyapairat as House Speaker. "The three votes against Yongyuth were not us, for sure. I am a gentleman who keeps his word,'' he said.

Deputy House Speaker Somsak Kiatsuranant said the speaker and deputies agreed to alternately chair the House. He will call a vote if the opposition wants to debate the qualifications of the next prime minister. "I personally feel that is necessary, because Samak was voted for by the people. Although he's still fighting a court case, we should let the case proceed under justice,'' he said.

- The Nation

=======================================

"Talking to People Samak Style" sounds promising, especially from someone awaiting to serve a 2 year prison sentence for defamation. Still, just hearing all those expletives that are "Samak style" will keep things lively.

PPP to offer 'new' policies

The People Power Party has drawn up a 45-page national policy draft to be announced before Parliament, Deputy Secretary-General Noppadon Pattama said yesterday.

The party will discuss its policies with coalition allies on Wednesday and the final draft will be completed in February.

"Our policies will get first priority even though there might be some alterations," Noppadon said.

In the draft, the party has maintained policies that brought the disbanded Thai Rak Thai Party to the height of its popularity, including the Village Fund, education loans :D , the two- and three-digit lotteries, CEO governors :D , debt moratoriums :o , village banks, the "million cattle" project :D , and the war on drugs. :D

Noppadon said the party's discussions about the finance minister's post had not reached any conclusion and it was open to appointing an outsider or a party member.

He denied reports some members of the coalition parties had left for Hong Kong to negotiate with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra about Cabinet posts.

He did not rule out the possibility that some People Power MPs had met Thaksin in Hong Kong, saying they had the right to visit him if they missed him.

Noppadon, who is Thaksin's lawyer, said the ousted PM would not sue Matichon daily newspaper for mocking Thaksin by editing his picture in a monk's saffron robe and comparing his situation with that of former prime minister Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn.

*the item being mentioned is here*

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?s=...t&p=1785729

He said Thaksin was very upset about it because he could come back to Thailand without having to be a monk. Although Thaksin is a public figure, he deserved respect from the media, he added.

- The Nation

Edited by sriracha john

Two coalition parties may be dissolved

The political future of the Matchima Thipataya and Chart Thai parties hangs in the balance with the Election Commission due to consider this week whether to dissolve the two parties after their executives were red-carded for vote buying in the Dec 23 election. Election Commissioner Sodsri Sattayatham said an inquiry chaired by Boontan Dokthaisong will submit its findings on the dissolution case against the Matchima Thipataya party this week. This follows the disqualification of Sunthorn Wilawan, a winning candidate in constituency 1 of Prachinburi province, for vote-buying. Sunthorn is the Deputy Leader of the Party. She said the panel had now questioned all the witnesses except Sunthorn, who failed to show up and testify in his defence yesterday. The EC will look into the case to see if there were grounds to the allegation and, if so, whether he acted alone or with the knowledge of the Party. If it is found that the Party was also involved, the Constitution Court would be asked to dissolve the Party. "As far as I know, the panel is in favour of recommending that Matchima Thipataya Party be dissolved. However, the poll agency is not obliged to act on the recommendation of the probe panel," Mrs Sodsri said. She said the proceedings against the Chart Thai Party would be similar. The agency has issued red cards to Monthian Songpracha and Nanthana Songpracha, winning Chart Thai candidates in constituency 1 in Chai Nat. Monthian is an executive member of the Chart Thai Party.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/28Jan2008_news12.php

How well will Samak cope on a leash?

Ban Muang Editorial: Negotiations are still under way between the PPP and its five coalition partners on the allocation of some key ministerial posts. Secretary-General Surapong Suebwonglee represents the PPP in the negotiations, which reportedly remain inconclusive. There are still problems over the allocation of some key cabinet portfolios, but the final say will not rest with PPP Leader Samak Sundaravej, but with Thaksin Shinawatra, who is believed to be the real power behind the PPP. After he was removed as PM and his TRT Party was dissolved, Thaksin loyalists formed the PPP, which won the election on Dec 23. Samak was hand-picked by Thaksin to lead the PPP, and he will remain under the shadow of the former PM, who has been in exile since the coup. Questions have been raised over whether Samak, expected to be elected PM, can freely run the country without having to listen to the man who put him in Government House.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/28Jan2008_news96.php

Samak to continue Thaksin’s Saturday morning talk show

A spokesman of the People Power Party has revealed that party leader Samak Sundaravej affirmed during a rehearsal for the election of Prime Minister that he is confident in his readiness to take the helm of the government if he is successfully chosen. Mr. Samak’s party and subsequent coalition cooperators hold a large majority in the Parliament and have the ability to select him as the Prime Minister.

Mr. Samak stated during the rehearsal that he wishes to continue in the spirit of ousted Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra and work in many of the methods he chose as he believes they were good political practice.

The People Power Party said that if chosen as Prime Minister he would re-initiate a Saturday morning talk show on a state television station in which he would speak to the public. Former premier Thaksin also conducted such a show.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 28 January 2008

Chart Thai leader to stand down from PM

Chart Thai Party member of Parliament Assawin Wipoosiri (อัศวิน วิภูศิริ) stated after meeting with party advisor Major General Sanun Kajornprasat (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์) that Chart Thai will not be submitting the name of party leader Banharn Silapaarcha (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา) into the running for Prime Minister.

The party, which is a member of the 6 party coalition government headed by the People Power Party has affirmed to pledge its loyalties to People Power Party leader and premier front runner Samak Sundaravej.

Chart Thai has called a meeting to brief party members so that all MPs vote inline with the party's agenda.

By-Election results show Matchima take in Prachinburi with PPP splits in Chai Nat

By-Elections established in Chai Nat province following the red-carding of Chart Thai Party members Monthien Songpracha (มณเฑียร สงฆ์ประชา) and Nantana Songpracha (นันทนา สงฆ์ประชา) yesterday (January 27) yielded a top end split between Matchima Thipathai party and the People Power Party. Matchima Thipathai runner Porntiva Nakasai (พรทิวา นาคาศัย) received 66,912 votes as the leader of the by-election while People Power Party member Chaiwat Sapwongthong (ชัยวัฒน์ ทรัพย์รวงทอง) followed with 52,428 votes. The province reported a 59.49 percent voter turn out with 11.81 percent of ballots being unusable.

Prachinburi province reported unofficial results that showed Matchima Thipathai party members Kriatikorn Pakpiensin (เกียรติกร พากเพียรศิลป์), Sutichai Charungpirawong (สุทธิชัย จรุงพิรวงศ์) and Democrat member Yaowaluck Tohanont (เยาวลักษ์ โตอนันต์) taking the top three spots. Mr. Kriatikorn received 61,538 votes while his part mate Mr. Sutichai gained 48,554 votes.

Democrat Leader puts in stake for PM

Spokesman of the Democrat Party Ong-Ard Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์) revealed to the press following a meeting of party executives and MPs that the party has unanimously decided to submit its leader’s name, Abhisit Vejajiva (อภิสิทธิ์ เวชชาชีวะ), into the Prime Minister running.

Mr. Abhisit will be running in the parliament against People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej whom also is the default leader of the coalition government of 6 parties which holds the majority seats in the House of Representatives. The Democrat Party though, says that Mr. Abhisit’s running will be more symbolic as the party wishes to uphold democracy in all political processes. The Democrat’s believe that a key element in the democratic process is having competition and allowing for citizens to have choices.

Mr. Ong-Ard admitted that the party did not expect to receive many votes for their leader as they are a minority within the parliament, but he still wishes that other MPs may choose to vote based on their own decisions.

However, there was one sign of dissent. The Puea Pandin Party's Muslim members of Parliament from the deep South threatened not to back Samak, unless they receive a ministerial post with which they can address problems in the region.

Perhaps they felt this was part of the deal, for them to join the coalition, and are now upset at possibly being side-lined ?

"As Samak volunteered to lead the PPP he said he would pursue the defunct Thai Rak Thai Party ideology. The soul of the Thai Rak Thai lives here now," Kuthep said.

he surely meant, in London & Hong Kong, not here ?

Samak will have a weekly radio programme called "Talking to People Samak Style", similar to predecessor Thaksin Shinawatra. The show will be each Saturday, Kuthep said. Samak will talk about his visions publicly for the first time on the radio programme, according to the spokesman.

Something to look forward to - will there be free chicken, or bread & circuses, too ? :o

Coalition partners yesterday promised support for Samak in today's selection. Matchima Thipataya Party Secretary-General Anongwan Thepsuthin said its nine members would vote for Samak.

Chart Thai member Assawin Wipoosiri said the party would toe the line and vote for Samak.

Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana made a similar promise. Party spokesman Naovarat Chanukul said its executive board yesterday agreed to instruct its members to vote for Samak.

You mean they would NOT gladly vote for him, don't they whole-heartedly SUPPORT their coalition, unless their arms are twisted ? !

Puea Pandin Party Sajjanupap faction leader and member for Narathiwat, Dr Waehadi Waedaoh, insisted that if the faction did not get a portfolio from which it could address problems in the South, it would not vote for Samak. Party Leader Suwit Khunkitti earlier made the Cabinet-post agreement for the faction, or a technocrat the faction wanted.

dam_n right - make them pay for their votes as agreed !

- The Nation

PPP to offer 'new' policies

Noppadon said the party's discussions about the finance minister's post had not reached any conclusion and it was open to appointing an outsider or a party member.

Well, that's one way, of putting it !

He denied reports some members of the coalition parties had left for Hong Kong to negotiate with former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra about Cabinet posts.

He did not rule out the possibility that some People Power MPs had met Thaksin in Hong Kong, saying they had the right to visit him if they missed him.

Did someone move the capital, to Hong Kong, or does it only feel that way ? Cannot they negotiate with their coalition-leader, future-PM Samak, here in Thailand ? Or do they feel happier talking to the organ-grinder and not his monkey ?

Noppadon, who is Thaksin's lawyer, said the ousted PM would not sue Matichon daily newspaper for mocking Thaksin by editing his picture in a monk's saffron robe and comparing his situation with that of former prime minister Field Marshal Thanom Kittikachorn.

Perhaps DL has learned something, from his residence, in a country with a (relatively) free press ? Or is Khun Noppadon simply too busy, as a new MP (I believe - can someone confirm ?), to take on any more new libel-cases just yet ? And does he feel it is mocking someone, here in Thailand, to portray them as a monk ?

He said Thaksin was very upset about it because he could come back to Thailand without having to be a monk. Although Thaksin is a public figure, he deserved respect from the media, he added.

or perhaps not ... Respect or law-suits ? !

- The Nation

Oh dear - there still appears to be some disarray, amongst the PPP-led coalition. Not a good sign, for those who believe in strong-leadership, being better than consensus-politics. :D

Pichet says debate necessary as it's uncertain that Samak will get PM's seat

Democrat Party MP Pichet Phanpichartkul reasoned that a debate before the voting of the prime minister is necessary because the current situation made it uncertain for People Power Party leader Samak Sundaravej would be elected by MPs as the next PM.

Pichet reasoned that the situation was different from 2004. In 2004, the Thai Rak Thai was the one-party government with an overwhelming majority while the current coalition has six partners.

Pichet added that the current Constitution does not prohibit MPs to vote against the party's line so coalition MPs might vote for Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva as the next PM, or vice versa.

Pichet said he would like to hear the PM's policies on how to deal with the former Thai Rak Thai executives and the Assets Examination Committee or even legal cases against former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

Source: The Nation - 28 January 2008

As a strong suporter of Mr Thaksin, I want here to thanks The Nation for its help. I can't remember one day in the past year where Thaksin name didn't appear in the front page. They really made sure we didn't forget the man. And their Thaksin bashing trademark was so obvious that it became soon ridiculous.

At the same time, can anybody tell me what is the platform of the "democrat", what they stand for? Beside being against Thaksin of course? Me neither.

There is two projects that summarize why I welcome the return of Mr Thaksin :the new airport and the Hopeless project leading to Don Muang. Thaksin get things done, and that's more than enough for me.

Unfortunately, too many people that supported the PPP were, like yourself, clueless about what the other parties were saying. Certainly, the PPP knew this and now make comments (concerning capital controls) such as: ''We did say in our campaign platform we want to scrap this policy but now we are in the government. We have to be careful about what we say or do,'' Dr Surapong said.

In other words, tell them what they want to hear and then once elected we can do differently. Since they didn't think things out it is no wonder that Samak refused to debate the issues.

Yes, many of us can tell you what the Democrats policies were as they were the first to issue them and put it on their website. At least those that cared to know the issues, instead of blindly electing a group who readily admits they now need to think things out. To give you an example, for capital controls, the PPP said abolish them (but are now reneging) , the Demo's said abolish them and the Chart Thai said they wanted to review them. For the Rural Economy, the PPP said give, give, give (deficit spending), while the Demo's said increase farmer's incomes by increases in productivity and the Chart Thai said focus on debt and land problems for farmers. There are certainly more, and I am sure if you are really interested you can find them.