Thailand's Parliament Convenes First Session Since 2006 Coup

george

EC alleviates Matchima Thipathai leader of position

Election Commission (EC) member Praphan Naikowit (ประพันธ์ นัยโกวิท) stated that the commission has approved a notice of resignation that Matchima Thipathai leader Prachai Leawphairat (ประชัย เลี่ยวไพรัตน์) submitted on December 4th of last year.

The EC accepted the contents of the notice after reviewing a copy of the document and receiving confirmation from representatives of Mr. Prachai stating that he has expressed the wish to resign. Whether or not his resignation will create impact on his party’s performance within the coalition government or whether it will influence the selection of Cabinet ministers, the EC did not project.

Mr. Prachai himself called a meeting of his former party after receiving formal approval of his resignation from the EC in which the Matchima Thipathai Secretary-General scheduled a meeting to select a new leader on the 17th of this month.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2008

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125620

"It's now easy for autocrats to get away with mounting a sham democracy," said Kenneth Roth, the group's executive director. "That's because too many Western governments insist on elections and leave it at that."

What a timing , I think it makes my point, don't you think ???

But before the usual Thaksin/PPP bashing starts, please remember the election this report refers to is the one organized by the Junta with the support of the democrats

Are you sure it's about recent elections? That Bangkok Post page is not dated.

It has this passage:

"States that claim the mantle of democracy, include Kenya and Pakistan, while others like Bahrain, Jordan, Nigeria, Russia and Thailand have taken on the belief that elections are equal to democracy, the New York-based rights group said in an annual report."

That couldn't be about December Elections. They rather talk about the usual Thaksin supporters claim that since he was elected, he was democratic. We've seen this argument countless times on Thaivisa, from the days of PAD - they should take their protests to ballot boxes, because 'in democracy only elections matter'. In the quote above, Human Rights Watch is very critical of this attitude. Rather opposite of how you used the quote.

>>>

Chownah, I meant bode well for the country, or for anything else, for that matter.

Six months is nothing in managing country size project. They shouldn't even bother taking posts for six months.

So, my question (rhetorical) is - what are they hoping to achieve in this short time? They can't solve any problem in six months, I suspect they just want to set up projects they can skim the money off after leaving the office.

Sends a great signal to all observers, international, domestic, business, political, etc.

I guess Samak is determined to top up Thaksin in absurdity stakes.

Coalition government parties determining framework of government

Political parties in the coalition government held a meeting at Sukhothai Hotel this morning (February 1st) to determine the government's framework while preparing to report its policy for administrating the country to the Parliament.

The six parties in the coalition government include the People Power Party (PPP), the Royal People Party, the Matchima Thipataya Party, the Chart Thai Party, the Puea Pandin (For the Motherland) Party and the Ruam Jai Thai Chart Pattana Party. At today's meeting, each party sent their representatives who are involved in drafting the government's policy.

The PPP economic team leader, Mr. Mingkwan Saengsuwan (มิ่งขวัญ แสงสุวรรณ), and the PPP secretary-general, Dr. Surapong Suebwonglee (สุรพงษ์ สืบวงศ์ลี), and the PPP core member, Mr. Noppadol Pattama (นพดล ปัทมะ), proposed seven strategies that are in line with each ministry's working policy.

The Chart Thai Party deputy leader, Mr. Weerasak Kowsurat (วีระศักดิ์ โควสุรัตน์), was the first to arrive at this meeting.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2008

Three Chart Thai core members joined coalition meeting

The Chart Thai Party sent three of its core members, namely Maj. Gen. Sanan Kachornprasart (สนั่น ขจรประศาสน์), Mr. Somsak Prisana-nantakul (สมศักดิ์ ปริศนานันทกุล) and Mr. Weerasak Kowsurat (วีระศักดิ์ โควสุรัตน์), to the meeting among the six political parties in the coalition government led by the People Power Party (PPP). However, the Chart Thai Party leader, Mr. Banharn Silpa-archa (บรรหาร ศิลปอาชา), did not attend the meeting, as he was at his residence in Charansanitwong Road, Bangkok.

The meeting was held at 10 AM today (February 1st) at Sukhothai Hotel to discuss the government's policy draft. Once drafted, it will be reported to the Parliament.

>>>

Chownah, I meant bode well for the country, or for anything else, for that matter.

Six months is nothing in managing country size project. They shouldn't even bother taking posts for six months.

So, my question (rhetorical) is - what are they hoping to achieve in this short time? They can't solve any problem in six months, I suspect they just want to set up projects they can skim the money off after leaving the office.

Sends a great signal to all observers, international, domestic, business, political, etc.

I guess Samak is determined to top up Thaksin in absurdity stakes.

Thanks for the explanation. Seems like the transition in gov't will take longer than usual this time in that 111 people more or less will have to be snuk into the various ministries as clerical help and advisors and then these clerical people will need to hire new bosses to suit their clerical needs.....or....probably the preferred alternative from the PPP point of view is that 111 people will be forgiven their transgressions within the next 6 months and they can forgo their apprenticeships as clerks and come in immediately as bosses.

Certainly not what I usually think of as the right way to run a gov't but I think it is consistent with the general way Thai politics is conducted. Given the disruption in the mechanics of gov't over the last couple of years it seems to me (my view only) that this is not a good time for the opposition to attack this tactic (the hiring as clerks and advisors) since it is technically legal according to the constitution that the military left in its wake....unless that is that the opposition wants to prolong the disruption of the mechanics of gov't. I think the option will weigh the options and evaluate the costs and benefits in attacking this issue and chose what will benefit them most...which is in my view entirely what they ought to do but it is also my view that they should temper this by keeping an eye on what will best help to instill democracy in Thailand which may very well be how they operate.

I really think that the opposition needs to start developing ideas for programs that will help the rural voters.....maybe start by figuring out a way to educate rural voters so that they can tell when a gov't program is really going to help them out long term or not. In our village there is a generation of voters just coming of age who are much better educated than their parents or at least have spent some time in university and one hopes this is furthering their education. If the opposition can connect with these younger more educated voters then perhaps the wooing of the rural voter can move to a higher level and programs will come into being with more potential for helping rural people long term....I guess I'm ever the optimist.

Chownah

...this is not a good time for the opposition to attack this tactic (the hiring as clerks and advisors) since it is technically legal according to the constitution that the military left in its wake....unless that is that the opposition wants to prolong the disruption of the mechanics of gov't. I think the option will weigh the options and evaluate the costs and benefits in attacking this issue and chose what will benefit them most...which is in my view entirely what they ought to do but it is also my view that they should temper this by keeping an eye on what will best help to instill democracy in Thailand which may very well be how they operate...

Hmmm, I was talking about the government, not the opposition.

PPP seems to be trying to fool some people all the time, and hope it's enough. Everyone else, with any remote interest in how the government is supposed to work, will see that PPP is nothing but a bunch of charlatans. Will it change voting patterns countrywide? I'm sure it will, eventually. I don't think the next election victory for PPP is a piece of cake. Unless they produce quick results or bring Thaksin back in politics, which is very unlikely, they'll bleed several more million voters who had somewhat higher expectations of them.

The rest of the country (which is already a majority, btw), will just sit and watch PPP make a complete mess of government. They won't vote for them ever again. And these are the people PPP should be trying to woo, or at least bring back in the fold.

Things will go downhill even faster for PPP if there's another round of pro-anti-Thaksin confrontation. If, as a part of a settlement, Thaksin washes his hands off politics, PPP will lose any sense of purpose.

So, I don't think it's the best moment for Democrats to try and appease the voters, they'd better stick to their principles, that's the only thing that separates them from the rest.

"It's now easy for autocrats to get away with mounting a sham democracy," said Kenneth Roth, the group's executive director. "That's because too many Western governments insist on elections and leave it at that."

But before the usual Thaksin/PPP bashing starts, please remember the election this report refers to is the one organized by the Junta with the support of the democrats

Are you sure it's about recent elections? That Bangkok Post page is not dated.

It has this passage:

"States that claim the mantle of democracy, include Kenya and Pakistan, while others like Bahrain, Jordan, Nigeria, Russia and Thailand have taken on the belief that elections are equal to democracy, the New York-based rights group said in an annual report."

That couldn't be about December Elections. They rather talk about the usual Thaksin supporters claim that since he was elected, he was democratic. We've seen this argument countless times on Thaivisa, from the days of PAD - they should take their protests to ballot boxes, because 'in democracy only elections matter'. In the quote above, Human Rights Watch is very critical of this attitude. Rather opposite of how you used the quote.

My post was a reply to your (and Ricardo’s) comments to my previous posts “It makes a good material for endless conspiracy theories but has no legs on its own.”

As I posted in different forums, here is a summary :

The Junta was pressurized by western governments to return the power to a “democratic” government.

Any government will do as long as the process looks democratic

Junta accepted because they thought they could control the outcome of the election.

The plan backfired, PPP won the election but the Junta was limited in its option by its promise of a “democratic” election

Samak is elected, the army returns to its barracks.

This theory is supported by the views of well regarded international institutions, including the one mentioned in my previous post.

To answer your comments “Are you sure it's about recent elections? … They rather talk about the usual Thaksin supporters … Rather opposite of how you used the quote.”, you should have a look at the following link :

http://www.bangkokpost.com/breaking_news/b...s.php?id=125621

Hmmm, I was talking about the government, not the opposition.

PPP seems to be trying to fool some people all the time, and hope it's enough. Everyone else, with any remote interest in how the government is supposed to work, will see that PPP is nothing but a bunch of charlatans. Will it change voting patterns countrywide? I'm sure it will, eventually. I don't think the next election victory for PPP is a piece of cake. Unless they produce quick results or bring Thaksin back in politics, which is very unlikely, they'll bleed several more million voters who had somewhat higher expectations of them.

The rest of the country (which is already a majority, btw), will just sit and watch PPP make a complete mess of government. They won't vote for them ever again. And these are the people PPP should be trying to woo, or at least bring back in the fold.

Things will go downhill even faster for PPP if there's another round of pro-anti-Thaksin confrontation. If, as a part of a settlement, Thaksin washes his hands off politics, PPP will lose any sense of purpose.

So, I don't think it's the best moment for Democrats to try and appease the voters, they'd better stick to their principles, that's the only thing that separates them from the rest.

I think you are probably right that PPP will likely not bring quick results of any sort but time will tell. I do think though that you over estimate the rural peoples reaction if quick results are not achieved. I think the rural people (at least around where I live and I know that this does not mean that it is a sentiment with most rural people) are not waiting for any quick results. Around here it seems that people are of the opinion that the military gov't stacked the cards against the PPP (which they see as being a nominee for Toxin and his policies) and that the PPP will have to do a lot of work to become active again. I mentioned how the PPP seems to be wanting to sneak the 111 people into clerical jobs and they seem to fully understand this ploy and mostly seem to think that this is a very clever and good thing....it doesn't seem as if they are expecting any immediate result in their life but of course they think that in the long run the programs of the Toxin era will be renewed and that this will help them in the long run.....bottom line: the rural people around here don't seem to be in a hurry for results but rather are glad that things seem to be going in what they think is the right direction.

I think you overestimate the size of the opposition when you say if the PPP had an election it would be difficult for them....of course this depends on how long until the next election and what happens in the mean time. I think alot of the representatives of the coalition parties have been in bed with the PPP all along and only participated in the small parties so that the PPP would not demonstrate a too powerful majority in the election which would have maximized the possibility of the military disrupting the process...but rather they split the PPP vote into factions to make the outcome look less certain with a stronger potential opposition so that it would be more acceptable to the military and their backers.....after all that was why Toxin was booted out in the first place...he had too much strength...he has learned from this (I think) and will probably keep the appearance of a more tenuous gov't for now. I could be completely wrong on this as I'm not very good at predicting what will happen in politics.

I think it would be really good if someone in the gov't started a discussion of what went wrong a couple of years ago so that the country went through a military takeover and then try to change the constitution to improve seperation of power and detection and prosecution of graft and corruption but I don't even know if it is possible to have seperation of power in Thailand. If you think about it...in the US if you want to become rich you can be an entrepeneur or go to Harvard and get a job in a major corporation or do something else based on your business or techincal talents to get rich....in Thailand if you want to get rich the only real way seems to be through gov't graft and corruption. If someone starts a business legitimately in Thailand and they develop it to the point that it attracts the attention of the establishement I am relatively sure that unless you join their club (the establishments club of graft and corruption) that one of them will put you out of business by either legal or illegal means........just my view and again I could be wrong.

Chownah

Democrat to announce shadow government line-up

Democrat Party will announce its "Shadow Cabinet" line-up after the government announces its cabinet, leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said Friday.

Abhisit said the Shadow Cabinet will be ready a few days after the Cabinet members endorsement. The Democrats would assign its personnel to take care of ministerial work in parallel with the People Power Party-led government.

Abhisit was saying during the party's seminar in Pattaya to adjust its strategies after the December 2007 election.

Source: The Nation - 01 February 2008

Cabinet list submitted to Cabinet Secretariat for checking: Samak

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej said his Cabinet line-up has been completed and submitted to the Cabinet Secretariat for checking of ministerial credentials.

He said a few changes were made to the original list and the new list would include six deputy prime ministers and two PM's Office Ministers.

Samak said the Cabinet Secretariat might spend a few days to check the credentials of the nominated ministers.

Source: The Nation - 01 February 2008

The junta promised to restore democracy within a year, promised on the first morning after the coup, and they did it as fast as possible. They had to wait for Consitution draft and approval, then referendum, then they set the elections. Actually Surayud was in control over the time frame, not the junta.

Western governments had no input in the process whatsoever, they had opinions, that's all. Even if they really wanted faster elections there was nothing they could do.

I think alot of the representatives of the coalition parties have been in bed with the PPP all along and only participated in the small parties so that the PPP would not demonstrate a too powerful majority in the election which would have maximized the possibility of the military disrupting the process...but rather they split the PPP vote into factions ...

I disagree. PPP was a vote for Thaksin. Breakaway parties split anti-Thaksin vote, not PPP's. I seriously doubt that any Thaksin supportes voted for Pua Paendind instea of PPP. On nationwide party list votes PPP fared a lot worse than on local MP ballots. Some 64% voted for some other parties, not for Thaksin's nominee.

These people will not vote for PPP unless there are tangible, positive results. I don't know how PPP will keep its voters if it doesn't deliver Thaksin. Without him PPP is no different from any of their coalition partners, they all promised the same things, same policies, same priorities.

PM: Small changes made to cabinet line-up

Prime Minister Samak Sundaravej has given some clues about the cabinet line-up, saying minor adjustments have been made.

“There will be 6 deputy prime ministers and 2 ministers to the prime minister’s office,” he said. “The cabinet secretary-general is in the process of checking on all the candidates before their names are forwarded to His Majesty the King for approval.”

More from the Bangkok Post here.

I think alot of the representatives of the coalition parties have been in bed with the PPP all along and only participated in the small parties so that the PPP would not demonstrate a too powerful majority in the election which would have maximized the possibility of the military disrupting the process...but rather they split the PPP vote into factions ...

I disagree. PPP was a vote for Thaksin. Breakaway parties split anti-Thaksin vote, not PPP's. I seriously doubt that any Thaksin supportes voted for Pua Paendind instea of PPP. On nationwide party list votes PPP fared a lot worse than on local MP ballots. Some 64% voted for some other parties, not for Thaksin's nominee.

These people will not vote for PPP unless there are tangible, positive results. I don't know how PPP will keep its voters if it doesn't deliver Thaksin. Without him PPP is no different from any of their coalition partners, they all promised the same things, same policies, same priorities.

Around here the people know that Toxin has been in Hong Kong and that various political figures have been making trips to go shopping in Hong Kong and they understand that this means really to meet with Toxin. They seem satisfied with this....almost like since Toxin is making the decisions they don't really care at least for now if he is in the country or not....as if the PPP has already delivered Toxin through the claim that his policies will be implemented and through his decision making from a distance...maybe some people are more anxious for him to return....don't know...time will tell. Seems like the comment that the 111 might get jobs as clerks or advisors would include Toxin...he is No. 1 on the list after all.

Chownah

I accept that the USA & EU had an opinion, what I find laughable is the idea, that it was some action by un-named western powers, that 'didn't allow them to stay longer'. Where is the evidence for this ?

The west has done very little about Burma or Zimbabwe, which are much more serious situations, except spout sympathetic words. In Thailand they had a military-nominated caretaker-government, which was steadily & peacefully moving along a pre-announced path to return to democracy, so all the 'western powers' had to do, was let them get on with it. As I would suggest they indeed did.

I don't think the 'western powers' could have done much here, I asked for any evidence that they had, to support

Pierrot's assertion that they did, and thus far have only the joke-suggestion that Switzerland were behind it all and the obvious statement that the USA/EU disapproved in theory of the coup.

There is a long way between mild-disapproval, and un-named 'western powers' taking firm actions, which 'didn't allow them to stay longer'. So far - I see no evidence that the West did anything to force the junta's hand, nor that they ever felt the need to try.

Where to start ?

The recent election was organised by the EC, not the junta, with the participation, not support, of the Democrats & PPP too. Which is irrelevant, because this annual-report clearly is not referring specifically to the very-recent elections in Thailand.

In fact, Thailand hardly gets a mention, at all !

The article briefly mentions outright-fraud in Chad/Kazakhstan/Nigeria/Uzbekistan, blocking & discouraging opposition-candidates in Belarus/Egypt/Cuba/Iran/Israel, stifling media in Russia/Tunisia, human rights abuses in Somalia/Ethiopia, and undermining the rule-of-law in China/Pakistan.

It mentions Thailand, along with Azerbaijan/Bahrein/Malaysia/Zimbabwe, as countries where "governments controlled the electoral machinery". But who else, other than the government, could run an election here ? Please note that Thailand's Electoral Commission was indeed set up under the previous administration, before the coup, and that PPP and Samak have stated several times how happy they were, with the unbiased & fair way it has done its job, during the recent elections.

There is no mention of any "western powers taking firm actions" in Thailand which "didn't allow them (ie the junta) to stay longer".

So no, I don't think there is anything at all in this article, to support your claims. Sorry.

I think alot of the representatives of the coalition parties have been in bed with the PPP all along and only participated in the small parties so that the PPP would not demonstrate a too powerful majority in the election which would have maximized the possibility of the military disrupting the process...but rather they split the PPP vote into factions to make the outcome look less certain with a stronger potential opposition so that it would be more acceptable to the military and their backers..

Perhaps some of the smaller parties, but at the outset not the Chart Thai. The Democrats were supposed to win in the areas that they are the strongest (and their 163 seats showed they kept their end of the bargain) and the Chart Thai was supposed to win upcountry. Together it was anticipated that they would be able to form the governing coalition. Banharn was shocked when his party did so poorly. This meant the anticipated coalition of the Demo's and Chart Thai would no longer work. The slippery eel then, after the election, switched sides and joined the PPP.

Pua Paendin was always linkes to the junta and various names have been thrown around, including Sonthi himself.

I doubt they have ever been in bed with PPP.

I also doubt that Matchima under Prachai's leadership ever wanted to join PPP either.

MPs don't particularly care where they receive their feed, while party leaders were forced to join PPP to keep their MPs happy, but I don't think they will support PPP all the way when it comes to a push over Thaksin.

Pua Paendin was always linkes to the junta and various names have been thrown around, including Sonthi himself.

I doubt they have ever been in bed with PPP.

I also doubt that Matchima under Prachai's leadership ever wanted to join PPP either.

MPs don't particularly care where they receive their feed, while party leaders were forced to join PPP to keep their MPs happy, but I don't think they will support PPP all the way when it comes to a push over Thaksin.

All quite true.It might be worth pointing out -because many years ago I made the wrong assumption given my British background -that in Thailand the PM has full authority over coalition cabinet members notwithstanding they might be from different parties.It was explained to me (believe it or not by Khun Chuan in person) that he couldn't actually instruct Minister ***** to take a particular action given his different party allegiance.OK it might also have been a polite way of fobbing me off, but there's at least a degree of substance in the proposition.

Prachai always strikes me as a rather comical character although, in his TPI hay day, I feel he had more right than most Thai industrialists to be called a man of strategic vision.He was undone by the crisis and as a Senator having fought hard against modern bankruptcy laws.He just couldn't get his head round the reality that when a company goes down the shareholders are at the bottom of the list, a false sense of entitlement that's quite common in Thailand.

He also seemed a bit divorced from reality in his most recent political adventure in absurdly overestimating his appeal to a popular vote.It always surprises me how some very able men -and Prachai is certainly no fool -lack that vital common sense ingredient.

PPP to appoint deputy ministers and secretariats after royal endorsement

The People Power Party (PPP) core member, Mr. Songsak Thongsri (ทรงศักดิ์ ทองศรี), says the PPP will appoint new deputy ministers and secretariats once the Cabinet has been royally endorsed.

Mr. Songsak says his party may ask the Office of the Council of State to consider whether the Members of Paliament (MPs) can take the positions of deputy ministers and secretariats, in order to be in line with the 2007 Constitution.

As for the role of the Parliament Chairman, Mr. Songsak says the PPP will have to wait for the ad hoc committee's consideration on the number committees inthe Parliament first.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 February 2008

Government to await Royal Approval before selecting deputies and secretary-generals

People Power Party member and MP from the Northeastern region Songsak Thongsri (ทรงศักดิ์ ทองศรี) indicated that the selection of deputy-ministers and ministry secretary-generals will not yet take place until the selection of Cabinet ministers is approved by His Majesty the King.

Once royal approval is achieved the government may then ask the Office of the Judicial Court as to whether or not MPs can hold subordinate positions within ministries as the new constitution’s wording in article 265, which deals with actions that may cause conflicts of interest, hints that the assumption of positions in ministry by MPs would be unconstitutional.

The House of Representatives is also awaiting a special committee to set standard procedures and regulations to be used in the parliament.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 04 February 2008

He also seemed a bit divorced from reality in his most recent political adventure in absurdly overestimating his appeal to a popular vote.It always surprises me how some very able men -and Prachai is certainly no fool -lack that vital common sense ingredient.

Well, the party ditched him.

Still it's not quite in PPPs pocket yet.

Matchima could be dissolved anyway.

Democrats back Mr.Korn to take care of economy

The Democrat Party members have raised their support for their party deputy secretary-general and economist, Mr. Korn Chatikavanij (กรณ์ จาติกวณิช), to head their economic team.

Mr. Korn says public members are concerned over their higher living costs while entrepreneurs are worried about their lower interests of income and business setback. He says the global economy is sluggish due to the rising global oil prices, and the new government’s populist policy may not be applicable to the current situation.

Democrat member Korn also believes that the Thai baht will certainly to strengthen in the near future. He says he is supporting the decision to revoke the 30-percent capital reserve imposed by the Bank of Thailand, as he believes that such measure apparently does not work and it does not address the fluctuation of Thai baht. He adds that other compensating measures would be more helpful and effective.

Democrat suggests PM to change Cabinet lineup

The Democrat Party spokesman, Mr. Ong-art Klampaiboon (องอาจ คล้ามไพบูลย์), says if the Prime Minister, Mr. Samak Sundaravej (สมัคร สุนทรเวช), does not want his Cabinet to comprise of figures who are incapable or inappropriate, he should use his power as the head of the government to change the lineup. Mr. Ong-art suggests Mr. Samak to bring the people who are competent enough to take the ministerial posts.

The Democrat spokesman says his party does not want to amend the 2007 Constitution in order for another general election to be held, as accused by Prime Minister Samak. In addition, Mr. Ong-art criticizes Mr. Samak, saying he should speak with more substance.

Election Commissioner says dissolution of Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya to affect govt.

Election Commissioner Praphan Naikowit (ประพันธ์ นัยโกวิท) says the dissolution of the two parties joining the coalition government, Chart Thai and Matchima Thipataya (มัชฌิมาธิปไตย), will affect ministerial posts of the new government.

The Election Commission’s (EC) investigating panel of the dissolution case is chaired by Boonthan Dokthaisong (บุญทัน ดอกไธสง). Mr Praphan says the panel needs time to work on the case as it might investigate further and invite leaders of the two parties to provide information.

The election commissioner adds that if the two parties are dissolved, their ministers will be dismissed and banned from politics for five years.

Gen. Boonrawd bidding farewell to Defence Ministry

The outgoing Defence Minister, Gen. Boonrawd Somtas (บุญรอด สมทัศน์), paid respect to the holy site at the Ministry of Defence and joined luncheon with the commanders of the Royal Thai Army before bidding farewell to his post today (February 4th).

Gen. Boonrawd paid respect to the Defence Ministry's holy site at 9:59 AM this morning before leaving his interim ministerial post. Later, he had lunch with the high-ranking military officials at the Office of the Permanent Secretary for Defence.

Gen. Boonrawd is expected to discuss his remaining works at the Ministry of Defence with the army commanders before officially passing his duty to the new Defence Minister.

General Surayud holds farewell celebration on Chao Phraya river

Now former Prime Minister General Surayud Chulanont accompanied by his spouse Colonel Khunying Chitrawadee Chulanont (จิตรวดี จุลานนท์) hosted a farewell celebration on the Angsana (อังสนา) Naval ship. The party was arranged to bid farewell to his position as Prime Minister.

The event was attended by 112 supporters of General Surayud and the ship made its way along the Chao Phraya river. The ship was on loan for the occasion by Naval Commander Naval Admiral Sathiraphan Kayanont (สถิรพันธุ์ เกยานนท์) who also helped to welcome guests. Many of the celebration-goers were high ranking officials of the past administration including Defense Minister General Boonrawd Somtas and Minister of Public Health Dr Mongkol Na Songkhla.

Members of the press also noted that General Sonthi Boonyaratglin did not make an appearance to the occasion, even though he had previously accepted an invitation.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2008

Cabinet Secretary-General reveals minister selections submitted to Office of His Majesty’s Privy Council

Secretary-General of the Cabinet Surachai Poohprasert (สุรชัย ภู่ประเสริฐ) has admitted that the auditing of selected individuals for ministerial positions has been concluded. The matter is now at the stage of coordination and has been forwarded to the Office of His Majesty’s Privy Council.

Mr. Surachai though urged the media to treat the matter lightly and expressed genuine concern that the public may misunderstand the procedures of minister selection causing unnecessary pressure for the government.

Nonetheless, Mr. Surachai stated he did not know anything about rumored alterations to the selection list. He countered previously released news that alterations were made during the auditing process, but did state that a change may have occurred to ministers from the Chart Thai Party.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 05 February 2008