Health Warning For North Thailand

george

Priceless; Car 4 is past Lotus at first super highway on the right. the burning is still going on in this area of vacant lots and undeveloped land and rice paddy. As far as phone no. for Govt personal, its does not seem to be a published thing. I requested e mail address for various ministries or personal and got zero info. They have not got into swing of burning yet, it will get worse. To answer on inquiry about using tractor to pile materil up, its probably so they can confine fire to smaller area, and not burn up the neighbors. I do have positive thoughts at times. Not sure if police have or want authority to fine offenders of the burn ban. Who are the enforceres of this?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning to get more than a bit nasty out there, isn't it? We've not seen January out with very dry February and March weather ahead. If you have experienced the look and smell of it, the particulate index really leaves one to question the standards!

There are some very sober posts that have been made on this thread of late. I agree that serious questions and investigation are appropriate. But, study it all you like, the air stinks and the sky is anything but blue! Your lungs? You really don't want to know!

Broadcasting the serious nature of the dirty air problem so that it actually affects provincial (if not national economic self-interest) may indeed be a regrettable but necessary step toward effective change. A lot of pain was felt in the Chiang Mai tourism industry last year. That industry is very much a mainstay in this province's economy. Unfortunately, perhaps it takes more pain to engender more gain to the good of all.

In the meantime, tourists may wish to stay by the sea, as most already seem to like to do, or visit the Issan Plateau (NE Thailand) which characteristically has a wonderful climate and some lovely national parks. Someone told me that Khon Kaen has begun to swing! Maybe Roi Et is next!

Beginning to get more than a bit nasty out there, isn't it? We've not seen January out with very dry February and March weather ahead. If you have experienced the look and smell of it, the particulate index really leaves one to question the standards!

There are some very sober posts that have been made on this thread of late. I agree that serious questions and investigation are appropriate. But, study it all you like, the air stinks and the sky is anything but blue! Your lungs? You really don't want to know!

Broadcasting the serious nature of the dirty air problem so that it actually affects provincial (if not national economic self-interest) may indeed be a regrettable but necessary step toward effective change. A lot of pain was felt in the Chiang Mai tourism industry last year. That industry is very much a mainstay in this province's economy. Unfortunately, perhaps it takes more pain to engender more gain to the good of all.

In the meantime, tourists may wish to stay by the sea, as most already seem to like to do, or visit the Issan Plateau (NE Thailand) which characteristically has a wonderful climate and some lovely national parks. Someone told me that Khon Kaen has begun to swing! Maybe Roi Et is next!

now where was that thread last year about where to get good and effective face masks? :o

The burning of the fields does cause a lot of air pollution. No question about it. The burning of the rice husks do too, but there is a cultural pleasure in that smell for the Thais (and the Japanese) of this particular burn, just as the burning of the autumn leaves pings the heartstrings of those of us Americans who remember such from our childhood. BUT LAST NIGHT it was the smell of burning garbage that permeated my nose for most of the evening, ruining the aromas from a well prepared Italian dinner and a good glass of wine!

While I do prefer that garbage is disposed of rather than just left in the fields to rot, there really has to be a better way....

With you totally on this one Mapguy, I've been wondering for a few days now whether or not the data on the PCD website is being 'doctored' so as to not scare off tourists. You can look at the figures for CM and tell yourself everything's fine 'cause it allegedly still has acceptable levels of PM or you can step outside and believe what your eyes tell you and then what your respiratory system tells you after you've been out in it for more than a few minutes.

Short of people dropping down dead in apocalyptic movie fashion, I'm at a loss to see what will convince the idiots that are burning that what they're doing is dangerous and then the even bigger idiots in power to actually enforce the burning bans.

Think about it, all the money that will be spent in public hospitals treating those with respiratory symptoms could be used to fund a radio campaign alerting people to the danger and the illegality of their actions. Whack it on just before 8AM and 6PM every evening and you'd be assured of getting the message across to a significant proportion of the city's population (and most likely target directly the classes of people most responsible for burning).

I am in the Thapae Gate area most of the time and don't notice anything different about the air at the moment in this area. It seems fine to me.

I have one friend who is a weezing whinger, but he complains all year round, so it is hard for me to take him seriously. He complains all the time about what he calls smog and I call haze at Doi Sutep, but it looks just like it did in San Francisco every single day to me. :o

I am in the Thapae Gate area most of the time and don't notice anything different about the air at the moment in this area. It seems fine to me.

I have one friend who is a weezing whinger, but he complains all year round, so it is hard for me to take him seriously. He complains all the time about what he calls smog and I call haze at Doi Sutep, but it looks just like it did in San Francisco every single day to me. :o

Your responses on this topic are predictable if nothing else UG (as predictable as anyone with a vested in interest in playing down the situation lest it scares away tourists and affects business). "If I can't see it with my own eyes then it's not happening" . I don't blame anyone in your shoes for this but a little realism is necessary I fear and if you venture just a km or two out of the Thapae bubble, you'll soon realise that all is not rosey in the "Rose of the North".

Edited by Bananaman

I might be partly responsible for the Tapae bubble, in that, it is the area I live

and I am fairly notorious for charging off down the sois if I catch anyone burning anything !! :o:D

If that fails I gang up with my neighbour and she reports to Tesabahn where all her ex students work!

As I have said, over and over, my opinion is not based on protecting my business, it is based on the fact that the air here normally doesn't bother me, and according to the last poll we did, it doesn't normally bother more than half the people who responded.

As far as "realism" goes, Priceless has presented a lot of evidence that some of us are exaggerating the situation quite a bit.

As to their reasons, unlike you, I don't pretend to know. :o

Leaving all explicit or implicit personal attacks aside, the air pollution during the last few days has been the worst since April 11th last year. Without access to any meteorological data, I would imagine that we have an inversion at the moment. This situation is undoubtedly aggravated by the frequent burning that is going on.

Along with many of the other posters here, I would wish for some effective enforcement of already existing regulations. However, don't hold your breath even though the air is crap at the moment :o

/ Priceless

Interesting.

I haven't heard anyone in this area even mention the air lately (other than my buddy, who is obsessed with it).

During the famous inversion last year, everyone was wearing masks and talking about it non-stop.

UG, or should I rename you Thomas (as in the Biblical character of little faith), I'll gladly invite you to my place for dinner and we can dine outside so you can get a few hours worth of the filth that masquerades as air around here of an evening, if that's what it takes to convince you that there is a problem about which people are talking and aren't exaggerating.

Interesting.

I haven't heard anyone in this area even mention the air lately (other than my buddy, who is obsessed with it).

During the famous inversion last year, everyone was wearing masks and talking about it non-stop.

UG, or should I rename you Thomas (as in the Biblical character of little faith), I'll gladly invite you to my place for dinner and we can dine outside so you can get a few hours worth of the filth that masquerades as air around here of an evening, if that's what it takes to convince you that there is a problem about which people are talking and aren't exaggerating.

What steps are/have you taken to ameliorate these problems? Haranguing the local expat population day in and day out would seem to be among the least effective measures I can think of.

Interesting.

Today, is the first time that I can remember anyone talking about any "Thapae Bubble" that has less pollution than other places. Posters always acted like ALL of Chiang Mai was having these same problems, so, of course, I trusted my own eyes to tell me what was right and my own eyes are usually fine.

Priceless, what do you think about the possibility of a protective zone that is somehow sparing the main tourist area? :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

Interesting.

What steps are/have you taken to ameliorate these problems? Haranguing the local expat population day in and day out would seem to be among the least effective measures I can think of.

Ok, firstly I didn't start out this morning with the intention of haranguing folk, I just object to attempts by anyone to play down the seriousness of what I can see with my own eyes, smell with my own olfactory senses and experience 24 hours a day with my respiratory system. Secondly, you genuinely have no idea to what lengths, constructive or otherwise I have gone to to try and convince those in my immediate area of the dangers to physical health posed by burning.

I didn't log-in looking to rub anyone up the wrong way this morning and if that's what I've succeeded in doing then I apologise sincerely.

Right I'm off to find comfort in the company of some other wheezing whingers in the safety of some large air-conditioned indoor environment. :o

Interesting.

Today, is the first time that I can remember anyone talking about any "Thapae Bubble" that has less pollution than other places. Posters always acted like ALL of Chiang Mai was having these same problems, so, of course, I trusted my own eyes to tell me what was right and my own eyes are usually fine.

Priceless, what do you think about the possibility of a protective zone that is somehow sparing the main tourist area? :o

The air quality now with an AQI of 77 or 85 on the PCD website is still quite good. There is decent humidity to weigh down the particles and the levels are still quite a ways to the AQI of >120 where the govt considers it bad. Wait until its over 150 or 200 for weeks on end to begin the complaining.

Interesting.

The air quality now with an AQI of 77 or 85 on the PCD website is still quite good. There is decent humidity to weigh down the particles and the levels are still quite a ways to the AQI of >120 where the govt considers it bad. Wait until its over 150 or 200 for weeks on end to begin the complaining.

Actually the PM-10 (Particulate Matter) is at 83 microgrammes per cubic metre while the AQI (Air Quality Index) is at 77. The (Thai) recommended maximum levels are 120 and 100, respectively, which puts PM-10 at 69% of the max level and AQI at 83%. This means that trying to sound the alarm to the mayor or the governor is probably a futile exercise. These numbers however say very little about the pollution level in your particular area, which may be considerably better or worse. (There are considerably fewer measuring stations in all of Thailand than there are in London.)

Before anybody brings up the fact that the European Union has a limit for PM-10 of 50 microgrammes per cubic metre, it is important to point out that there is a structural difference between the Thai and European limits. The Thai is absolute, i.e. any 24-hour value above 120 microgrammes is considered a "failure", whereas the European standard says that if the level is above 50 microgrammes for more than 35 24-hour periods in a year it constitutes a "failure". The European standard says nothing about by how much the 50 microgramme level may be exceeded in a single measuring period. One should also remember that both the Thai and European levels are targets, which are (very) frequently exceeded in many locations. This structural difference between the standards definitions also means that it is at least very difficult, if not impossible, to compare pollution levels in different parts of the world, at least using publically available data. Thailand is somewhat unusual in publishing the actual measurements and not just outcome in relation to standards.

/ Priceless

Interesting.

I don't think "Thapae Bubble" is a fitting term - inasmuch as the "bubble" tends to extend to all of Chiang Mai (the city). I attach a photo from this very afternoon around 4 PM of how Doi Suthep and parts of the inner city looks like from a spot about 200 meter southwest of Thapae Gate. Those of you guys out there in the suburbs and country side who have problem seeing the color of the blue sky - feel free to come to Chiang Mai (the city) and have a peek :D

post-35929-1201351247_thumb.jpg

There really isn't much burning taking place in our area compared to what is reported from outside Chiang Mai (the city). Personally, I've only encountered smoke generated from nearby once and guess what - that was the (farlang) neighbor's barbeque that had gone a bit out of control. I believe that the a major difference between someone surrounded by hundreds of rais of burning fields and huge piles of scrubs and barbecuing neighbors compared to someone living several miles from (relatively) noteworthy smoke, is that the latter is spared for the extremes and merely is exposed to sort of an average level.

The view is from my bedroom window and thus one that I know pretty well from several times daily peeks throughout about 4 years. Have never noticed any kind of smoke that stood out against the average (neither to this side nor toward the towers of Rim Ping and the Night Bazaar hotels).

The data on the PCD-website is delayed one day - (updated every morning with the average of the preceeding 24 hours) - so "todays" PM-10 measure of 83 is actually yesterdays average. Today it's possible to make out some smaller ridges up along the main slope facing the city. That wasn't possible yesterday. So, tomorrow I'll guess that the measure will be 60-70 (but one can get fooled by the fact that the measurement is taken throughout 24 hours and my eyes only "measure" about 1/2 of that period).

The point were one can't even make out the main ridgeon a dry day (no visible difference between mountain and sky) corresponds roughly to PM 140-150 on a dry day. However, the PM 95 on the 24. made it pretty close to that point, which I'd assume is owed to some humidity.

you genuinely have no idea to what lengths, constructive or otherwise I have gone to to try and convince those in my immediate area of the dangers to physical health posed by burning.

You're right I have no idea. The reason is because everyone complains and no one shares information. I'd love to hear what you've done. What kind of response it met. Then maybe we can all learn "what works" and what doesn't. That's the benefit of this forum. I think there's the possibity we can learn from each other instead of just using it as a place to vent our frustrations..

The data on the PCD-website is delayed one day - (updated every morning with the average of the preceeding 24 hours) - so "todays" PM-10 measure of 83 is actually yesterdays average. Today it's possible to make out some smaller ridges up along the main slope facing the city. That wasn't possible yesterday. So, tomorrow I'll guess that the measure will be 60-70 (but one can get fooled by the fact that the measurement is taken throughout 24 hours and my eyes only "measure" about 1/2 of that period).

To be exact, the data presented on the PCD website as "26 Feb" is actually the average of the 24-hour period from 9 AM 25 Feb until 9 AM 26 Feb. Your observation is nevertheless quite valid and important to remember :o

/ Priceless

Leaving all explicit or implicit personal attacks aside, the air pollution during the last few days has been the worst since April 11th last year. Without access to any meteorological data, I would imagine that we have an inversion at the moment. This situation is undoubtedly aggravated by the frequent burning that is going on.

I bicycle year round and neither use a motorbike or car to get around. Last year, my throat didn't start to bother me until the middle of March. To have my throat get this bad the 3rd week of January is not a good sign for CM. Perhaps UG, you spend most of your time inside an A/C air bubble. I am sure there are people who think their cig smoking will not effect their health or those around them.

Perhaps UG, you spend most of your time inside an A/C air bubble. I am sure there are people who think their cig smoking will not effect their health or those around them.

Actually UG sits in an open shop without the benefit of A/C. I also think your extrapolation to smoking of cigarettes is invalid. Very few people believe that smoking is not detrimental to their health. What UG has been saying consistently that HE is not experiencing any problems with the current air quality nor is he noticing it to be any worse than normal.

Looking around my area of San Kamphaeng and now Hang Dong there is less burning off than in previous years. Along the main roads they are burning off the grass but that is for fire hazard reduction which is not the same as the rice stubble burn off.

CB

My lungs/sinus have never recovered from last year! I had many friends who left during the worst of it last year. I did not leave. I see it all around me and I am very concerned as it is only the end of January. I mentioned it to Friends on Friday, saying what can we do, their response was go to the beach when it gets bad, nothing is changing.

The very people who are supposed to be enforcing the ban on burning, are burning!

It is a very complex issue as many have mentioned. I however keep thinking there must be some way we can have an impact. A campaign to provide trash bags to those burning trash? I have heard you can buy bags for 7 baht and then they will be picked up, but many villagers don't want to spend the 7 baht a bag. I don't believe the people who are charged with enforcing the ban believe in it. Most have been raised with the burning. Do they need to be educated 1st? The military land on the Mae Rim Road was burning the other day. I live very close to Doi Suthep, every day I see the smoke. A drive to Chiang Dao was riddeled with fires along the road and in the fields. As an earlier post suggested, in the west it took fines and time to end burning, but how to even get that started here is the question.

Though there are fires and haze right now, and I agree that we need to keep taking steps to curtail this, my overall opinion is : Complaining, Negativity, and too much Anxiety, these are the things that will give you Cancer. These are the things that decrease your overall energy and ruin the experience of another wonderful day, day after day. Actually, life in CM is quite beautiful, and anybody who misses that point really is missing out.

Though there are fires and haze right now, and I agree that we need to keep taking steps to curtail this, my overall opinion is : Complaining, Negativity, and too much Anxiety, these are the things that will give you Cancer. These are the things that decrease your overall energy and ruin the experience of another wonderful day, day after day. Actually, life in CM is quite beautiful, and anybody who misses that point really is missing out.

My thoughts exactly..

It's raining now anyway, so there goes the haze for now.. :o

Interesting.

Actually the PM-10 (Particulate Matter) is at 83 microgrammes per cubic metre while the AQI (Air Quality Index) is at 77. The (Thai) recommended maximum levels are 120 and 100, respectively, which puts PM-10 at 69% of the max level and AQI at 83%. This means that trying to sound the alarm to the mayor or the governor is probably a futile exercise. These numbers however say very little about the pollution level in your particular area, which may be considerably better or worse. (There are considerably fewer measuring stations in all of Thailand than there are in London.)

Before anybody brings up the fact that the European Union has a limit for PM-10 of 50 microgrammes per cubic metre, it is important to point out that there is a structural difference between the Thai and European limits. The Thai is absolute, i.e. any 24-hour value above 120 microgrammes is considered a "failure", whereas the European standard says that if the level is above 50 microgrammes for more than 35 24-hour periods in a year it constitutes a "failure". The European standard says nothing about by how much the 50 microgramme level may be exceeded in a single measuring period. One should also remember that both the Thai and European levels are targets, which are (very) frequently exceeded in many locations. This structural difference between the standards definitions also means that it is at least very difficult, if not impossible, to compare pollution levels in different parts of the world, at least using publically available data. Thailand is somewhat unusual in publishing the actual measurements and not just outcome in relation to standards.

/ Priceless

I am please to see some comparative analysis.

Standards are tricky. Sometimes they are the result of political policy rather than measures that are scientifically derived. The question about what is aceptable and what is not is not an easy one to answer.

Then, adequate measurement can be difficult. Such is the case in Thailand with few monitoring sites.

As well, the numbers can be manipulated in a number of ways, as you will read in the recent spate of articles about manipulation of the pollution measurement and analysis in Beijing in the runup to the Olympics. Beijing has actually removed some monitoring stations from highly polluted areas and replaced them with even more stations in less polluted areas! Then, they have also been jiggling numbers.

Well, how about some common sense? Some aspects of responses to this topic remind me of the early debate on whether or not smoking hurts your health. Then the debate about the health of those around you. Fortunately, for the most part, resistance to change has been overwhelmed with scientific information --- and common sense.

Anyway, want to do something? A group has apparently already met on this subject. The email for the group, as it appeared in Mark Whitman's column in the Chaing Mai Mail is [email protected]. And I suggest, for now, good old fashioned letters to the editor, the mayor, the governor. I would also consider travel agencies, large hotel chains and other with a self-interst in clearing the air.

In conclusion, blessedly, it is raining outside! Oh dear! It just quit! But maybe it was enough to clear the air a bit!

Health warning for North Thailand

The Public Health Ministry has issue a warning to people who live in the northern part of Thailand to beware of respiratory trouble from small dust particles, said the Department of Health's director-general Dr Narongsak Ungkhasuwapala.

Particles smaller than 10 micron (PM10) from burning dried leaves and grass could harm the respiratory system and lungs.

Children and the elderly are advised to wear masks to protect themselves from dust particles. Those who suffer from heart problems, respiratory trouble and asthma should not go outside without a mask.

Narongsak said the Health Ministry had not yet reported any cases of respiratory problems from small dust. However, the ministry has ordered healthcare units throughout the northern area to keep a close watch on any patients who suffer from respiratory problems, he said.

--The Nation 2008-01-22

Thanks for the warning, but I cannot recall a more beautiful day in Chiang Mai than today.

Health warning for North Thailand

The Public Health Ministry has issue a warning to people who live in the northern part of Thailand to beware of respiratory trouble from small dust particles, said the Department of Health's director-general Dr Narongsak Ungkhasuwapala.

Particles smaller than 10 micron (PM10) from burning dried leaves and grass could harm the respiratory system and lungs.

Children and the elderly are advised to wear masks to protect themselves from dust particles. Those who suffer from heart problems, respiratory trouble and asthma should not go outside without a mask.

Narongsak said the Health Ministry had not yet reported any cases of respiratory problems from small dust. However, the ministry has ordered healthcare units throughout the northern area to keep a close watch on any patients who suffer from respiratory problems, he said.

--The Nation 2008-01-22

Thanks for the warning, but I cannot recall a more beautiful day in Chiang Mai than today.

Agreed, hasn't it been absolutely MARVELLOUS? Life is a joy! :o:D:D

/ Priceless